AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Why do studios do this?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 24, 2017
Southeastern USA
I was having a conversation off site with my favorite model last night, and she asked me for my opinions on how she could grow her room viewership. She then sent me a link to an anonymous survey that the studio was sponsoring in order to get feedback from loyal viewers. The survey questions were fairly generic and asked questions about why I visit the model(s) I do along with questions about what I look for in a model and why I would leave a room and never return. I completed the survey and focused back on our conversation off site.

I asked her why she keeps her private rate so low(12 tpm) and asked her why she doesn't do more thematic type of shows. She told me that the studio will not allow her to change her private rate, which boggles my mind, so I asked her if this was studio policy and she said that the studio reserves price increases for only the most successful models. Basically, the more popular a model becomes, the higher the studio will adjust her per minute rate. The thing is, the maximum rate the studio will allow for any model they have is 30tpm. It is perplexing that they would control her private prices like this.

In regards to her doing thematic shows, she told me that the studio also controls every aspect of what they do on camera, and any thematic shows must be approved by her superiors before she is allowed to do them. I would guess this is done to protect the studio from possible TOS violations and such, but it is quite odd that she couldn't even do something so standard as a BDSM themed show using ball gags and other basic items.

She told me that the most frustrating aspect of her job was that the studio allows and even encourages their models to have a social media presence on twitter, instagram and other social media platforms, but at the same time they ban any cell phone usage while on cam, and that the room monitors physically keeps her cellphone in their possession, and the monitors are the ones who access, answer and update her social media accounts while she is performing. So I asked her if this was a phone that the studio provided, and she told me that it was her own personal phone. I just shook my head in disbelief.

It just seems that the level of control they have over a model's private rates, and the required approval of thematic shows would have a negative effect on a model being able to grow their room because of the necessary hoops they are made to jump through if they have an idea they want to try.

I know it is their studio and their rules, but are these general practices that most studios employ?

Reactions: MonaMonet
yeah, studios have a formula for what they know makes money, so they are total control freaks. this is a very volatile industry, and a studio is a business trying to stay afloat. studios in countries with weak worker rights and corrupted government/police can get away with being abusive.

the best thing for her to do is to save up until she is able to go independent so she has autonomy.

My experience with studios is they can vary. Some control every aspect, almost all studios will control the token per minute. If you work for the studio you need to work within their rules. Some are more flexible and allow the price to be amended. The model will usually either leave the room to ask (saying they are going to the toilet or another excuse) or they will be typing to someone asking if the price can be changed.

Also they have helpers who are the people typing to you rather than the model. This allows for models who struggle with English or are new to get on with the show. The helper will interact with you and likely be the one in a private show speaking. I usually insist I speak to the model and make sure she is typing to me rather than another person. Sometimes it’s clear the model is not typing so i kindly ask the model is left in charge of communication

buying WhatsApp from a studio model is a no go for me. As you noted the studio controls this and you are speaking to the room monitor or helper

also, be careful what type of questions you are asking her. These types of conversations don’t go down too well with studios who are monitoring everything she writes. You could inadvertently make her lose her position or give her a bad rep with the studio unknowingly

When I was with a studio in Colombia, I could only charge 6 or 12 per minute for a private. That was the studio rule. We could charge whatever we wanted in public or in private for doing things (getting naked, using dildo and so on). My studio was very flexible with us having phones on us; texting with family, friends, clients. Most studios are shit, yes. They treat the models like shit and the turnover is ungodly high, around 2 months if that. My studio was pretty good with the average model staying around 2 years.

Last edited:
My experience with studios is they can vary. Some control every aspect, almost all studios will control the token per minute. If you work for the studio you need to work within their rules. Some are more flexible and allow the price to be amended. The model will usually either leave the room to ask (saying they are going to the toilet or another excuse) or they will be typing to someone asking if the price can be changed.

Also they have helpers who are the people typing to you rather than the model. This allows for models who struggle with English or are new to get on with the show. The helper will interact with you and likely be the one in a private show speaking. I usually insist I speak to the model and make sure she is typing to me rather than another person. Sometimes it’s clear the model is not typing so i kindly ask the model is left in charge of communication

buying WhatsApp from a studio model is a no go for me. As you noted the studio controls this and you are speaking to the room monitor or helper

also, be careful what type of questions you are asking her. These types of conversations don’t go down too well with studios who are monitoring everything she writes. You could inadvertently make her lose her position or give her a bad rep with the studio unknowingly
I'm careful not to put her job in jeopardy. We use whatsapp on a second phone that she has access to. Everything that is said on-site is related to our interactions there and nothing more.

I posted about the fact(in another thread here) that this same studio also has male monitors present in these ladies rooms. I've been told that this is supposedly normal practice in the country in question, but I know that she feels very uneasy with this arrangement, but she HAS to work to provide for her children. I'm of the opinion that if studios really cared about their models, they would have some kind of program(s) in place that would allow and help their models become independent over time.

I have been working with a studio from the very beginning, but the type of experience you just described is jaw-dropping, in the bad sense of it. The trainers mostly give me solid advice about my private rates etc, but never imposed or made me do something I didn't agree with. WTF.

I think her studio thinks they found this magic formula that is going to generate a lot of revenue and wants to stick with it - which is wrong for so many reasons. Thinking that there is some type of "one size fits all" in this industry is outrageous. I hope the model you are talking about is going to earn enough money in order to become independent.

Just wanted to update the thread with some new information about the studio in question...

She told me a few nights ago that the studio has recently hired a "psychological therapist" that the girls must report to if their earnings fall below a certain point or they have difficulties or reservations about performing certain acts on cam. The studio apparently wants the girls to do whatever the members ask of them while in private, even if it breaks certain TOS rules of the hosting cam site. Apparently this new therapist is using coercive tactics and language in order to make everything seem like the model's fault, without providing any help or feedback to actually help them grow as a performer. She told me the new therapist is also training the room monitors on how to better use manipulation tactics in order to get more tokens flowing. To help counter this, we decided to implement a code word that she would use whenever the room monitor was taking over communications during our privates. So yesterday I went into a private with her and within just a few minutes, she used the code word to let me know her monitor was talking to me. We didn't even need to use the code word though, because a few seconds after the monitor took over, he started asking for tips by saying things such as "tip me 100 tokens bb and I will give you a real cum", which is something she would never say to me in our privates. It just felt so icky to know that a man was trying to pass himself off as her, so I feigned disinterest in her and said that I just wasn't "feeling it" with her today and I left the private. She messaged me later and told me that her monitor scolded her after I prematurely left the private. So, stupid studio, even more stupid monitor, and it's all her fault. Right. Sigh.

Just wanted to update the thread with some new information about the studio in question...

She told me a few nights ago that the studio has recently hired a "psychological therapist" that the girls must report to if their earnings fall below a certain point or they have difficulties or reservations about performing certain acts on cam. The studio apparently wants the girls to do whatever the members ask of them while in private, even if it breaks certain TOS rules of the hosting cam site. Apparently this new therapist is using coercive tactics and language in order to make everything seem like the model's fault, without providing any help or feedback to actually help them grow as a performer. She told me the new therapist is also training the room monitors on how to better use manipulation tactics in order to get more tokens flowing. To help counter this, we decided to implement a code word that she would use whenever the room monitor was taking over communications during our privates. So yesterday I went into a private with her and within just a few minutes, she used the code word to let me know her monitor was talking to me. We didn't even need to use the code word though, because a few seconds after the monitor took over, he started asking for tips by saying things such as "tip me 100 tokens bb and I will give you a real cum", which is something she would never say to me in our privates. It just felt so icky to know that a man was trying to pass himself off as her, so I feigned disinterest in her and said that I just wasn't "feeling it" with her today and I left the private. She messaged me later and told me that her monitor scolded her after I prematurely left the private. So, stupid studio, even more stupid monitor, and it's all her fault. Right. Sigh.

If it’s exactly as you described, that’s appalling. For one thing, hiring someone to goad a model into doing things they’re uncomfortable with is terrible on its own. Especially if the things are against TOS, but no matter the request, a model shouldn’t need to justify the things they are/aren’t comfortable doing.

Then to call this person a “psychological therapist” and make them a requirement for low-earning models is a pretty clear attempt to make the model feel like there is something mentally wrong with themselves for not making more money/being more permissive with customer requests.

They’re basically misidentifying the person as a therapist. Therapists are supposed to help their patients with psychological problems. Instead, the person you described is apparently there to manipulate the model for the benefit of the studio’s profits (while giving the model the implied message that there is something mentally wrong with her that needs fixing). Huge, huge difference.

They’re basically misidentifying the person as a therapist. Therapists are supposed to help their patients with psychological problems. Instead, the person you described is apparently there to manipulate the model for the benefit of the studio’s profits (while giving the model the implied message that there is something mentally wrong with her that needs fixing). Huge, huge difference.
I would agree. There is no real way of knowing what the studios agenda is in regards for the hiring of this new therapist, but apparently it's a thing now, as other studios are employing psychological professionals as well from what I gather. Is it for the models benefit, or the studios? I tend to think the latter.

I tend to think the latter.
With you on that one. If it was for the benefit of the performers, then low earnings wouldn't be a factor and this service would be available to anyone who felt they needed or wanted it.

I think once you're friend can afford to broadcast from home that she needs to leave that studio. There's no fucking way it's worth her staying there if they treat their models like this. Just curious does this studio have "the best models"?

Personally if I did own and run a studio I would have a councillor on standby for girls to talk to about either the job or personal problems as mental and/or social difficulties seem more common than not when chatting to models. It's a fucking shame that they're using it as a form to manipulate and mentally hurt models.

While I enjoy and spend tokens chatting to models, this kind of shit angers me and hate an industry so full of misogyny and fucking guys being cunts that make me feel like a gentleman in comparison.

I think once you're friend can afford to broadcast from home that she needs to leave that studio. There's no fucking way it's worth her staying there if they treat their models like this. Just curious does this studio have "the best models"?

Personally if I did own and run a studio I would have a councillor on standby for girls to talk to about either the job or personal problems as mental and/or social difficulties seem more common than not when chatting to models. It's a fucking shame that they're using it as a form to manipulate and mentally hurt models.

While I enjoy and spend tokens chatting to models, this kind of shit angers me and hate an industry so full of misogyny and fucking guys being cunts that make me feel like a gentleman in comparison.
I'm not sure what you mean by "the best models", but from what she has told me, it is a relatively small studio with 6-8 models on three different shifts, so 18-24 models in total throughout the day.

Trust me, it makes me angry as hell that they are doing some of things they do. I'm to the point now that I'm just about to bite the bullet and totally funding her transition to becoming independent. I've been helping her financially since shortly after meeting her anyways, so if she is wanting to go independent I'll definitely help her. I've yet to discuss this with her though, so we'll see how things go. Hopefully I won't be judged too harshly by others here for wanting to do this.

• Hugs
Reactions: MonaMonet
Just wanted to post another update on this:

She messaged me today telling me that she has been in negotiations with another studio for about a week now. Her room monitor(a male) at her current studio verbally threatened her a little over a week ago and she decided to look elsewhere because of it. She informed them today that she would not be returning tomorrow, and apparently they got all childish with her and refused to pay her what they currently owe her. What a bunch of a$$hats.

This afternoon she had a photoshoot with her new studio and she met her new monitor, which is a female. She sent me some of the photos from the shoot and I was very impressed with the quality and professionalism of the photos. All of them were non-nude and very tasteful. She told me that she got a totally different and good vibe from the people she met at the studio, and by the time she goes live tomorrow, they will have a professional profile setup(with the photoshoot pics) for her to help take advantage of her "new" status.

She also told me that this new studio is apparently in direct competition with her now former studio because they are located in the same city. Her pay will even be better, as her previous studio was doing the 50/50 split, but the new one will be giving her a 60/40 split of tokens earned. They will even allow her to adjust her token-per-minute rate so she can determine her own sweet spot. I told her that I was definitely impressed!

She declined my offer to financially help her become independent and told me she wants to do this on her own. I respected her decision and didn't push the issue.

I really feel that there needs to be a rating/review page for studio's as the one u describe sounds much like what happened with another lady I follow but her ex studio is known on cb as "the studio with the best models". And I know 2 others that quit that pretty much saying same thing.

I get a lot of studio models lurking on me when I broadcast. This week I checked out one model who was lurking and noticed that while she was dancing and playing with herself, far away from the keyboard and mouse, she was "chatting" in the chat, leaving and re-entering my room AND took a private. So, the room monitor was doing everything. Talking on behalf of a model is annoying enough, I don't understand how the room monitor can control who with, and when a model goes private.

• Wat?!
Reactions: Smoothie
So, the room monitor was doing everything. Talking on behalf of a model is annoying enough, I don't understand how the room monitor can control who with, and when a model goes private.

I know it happens a lot, but if a model accepted my private show request and it was obvious she didn’t personally accept it, it would kill my mood instantly. I’d follow through with the show but I probably wouldn’t return.

If a monitor is pulling strings behind the scenes they need to be as invisible as possible. If I can tell someone else is pretending to be the model, I’m out. (That being said, on CB the video usually lags 8-10 seconds behind chat messages showing up, so if a message from the model arrives while she isn’t typing on video, it’s not necessarily a red flag as long as she types a few seconds afterward).

Reactions: blayze_noir
If a monitor is pulling strings behind the scenes they need to be as invisible as possible. If I can tell someone else is pretending to be the model, I’m out. (That being said, on CB the video usually lags 8-10 seconds behind chat messages showing up, so if a message from the model arrives while she isn’t typing on video, it’s not necessarily a red flag as long as she types a few seconds afterward).
Yeah... the lag is one thing, but seriously, this girl was hands all over her body, dancing in the middle of the room while the chatting was going on and the private accepted.

I was in one room once where a girl were going at it on the bed with a dildo and someone was PM-ing me stuff like, "do you like what I'm doing? would you like to join me and take me private?" I replied something like, "who is this? If she is busy playing with herself who is this doing the typing?" "It's me baby. There is no one else here." 🤦‍♂️

I was having a conversation off site with my favorite model last night, and she asked me for my opinions on how she could grow her room viewership. She then sent me a link to an anonymous survey that the studio was sponsoring in order to get feedback from loyal viewers. The survey questions were fairly generic and asked questions about why I visit the model(s) I do along with questions about what I look for in a model and why I would leave a room and never return. I completed the survey and focused back on our conversation off site.

I asked her why she keeps her private rate so low(12 tpm) and asked her why she doesn't do more thematic type of shows. She told me that the studio will not allow her to change her private rate, which boggles my mind, so I asked her if this was studio policy and she said that the studio reserves price increases for only the most successful models. Basically, the more popular a model becomes, the higher the studio will adjust her per minute rate. The thing is, the maximum rate the studio will allow for any model they have is 30tpm. It is perplexing that they would control her private prices like this.

In regards to her doing thematic shows, she told me that the studio also controls every aspect of what they do on camera, and any thematic shows must be approved by her superiors before she is allowed to do them. I would guess this is done to protect the studio from possible TOS violations and such, but it is quite odd that she couldn't even do something so standard as a BDSM themed show using ball gags and other basic items.

She told me that the most frustrating aspect of her job was that the studio allows and even encourages their models to have a social media presence on twitter, instagram and other social media platforms, but at the same time they ban any cell phone usage while on cam, and that the room monitors physically keeps her cellphone in their possession, and the monitors are the ones who access, answer and update her social media accounts while she is performing. So I asked her if this was a phone that the studio provided, and she told me that it was her own personal phone. I just shook my head in disbelief.

It just seems that the level of control they have over a model's private rates, and the required approval of thematic shows would have a negative effect on a model being able to grow their room because of the necessary hoops they are made to jump through if they have an idea they want to try.

I know it is their studio and their rules, but are these general practices that most studios employ?
Depends on the cam site. The model has to find the site that works for him/her/transgender. The model/s won't agree with every single rule but the pros have to outweigh the cons. Same goes for the customers who pay for private shows. If the cons outweigh the pros, the model and/or the customer need to find a website/s which works for them. Hope this is helpful.

When I was with a studio in Colombia, I could only charge 6 or 12 per minute for a private. That was the studio rule. We could charge whatever we wanted in public or in private for doing things (getting naked, using dildo and so on). My studio was very flexible with us having phones on us; texting with family, friends, clients. Most studios are shit, yes. They treat the models like shit and the turnover is ungodly high, around 2 months if that. My studio was pretty good with the average model staying around 2 years.
Not most studios, but there are some studios that are shit, yes. Depends on which studio/s you're referring to.

I have been working with the studio for several years now, sometimes I work at home, sometimes I travel, sometimes I come back and work directly in the studio (we do not stop working with the studio at the time of my travels, only the percentage of payments changes). The studio support me comprehensively anytime, anywhere. So I have to say that I was very lucky with the studio. Of course, as in any cooperation, we have disputes, but we always find a compromise. I change the price on the sites as I want, and run the show at my own discretion. Sometimes I get recommendations from the studio management, but I and I alone decide what I want to do and what not. When I started working with the studio, I got acquainted with their policy and their rules. If I agreed to the terms, I am obliged to comply with them. The same goes for the studio - they have their own responsibilities and they fulfill them.
Indeed, there are many studios with excellent conditions, and there are studios that are just awful.
I have heard a lot about the terrible things that some studios do, and I am sincerely surprised that the models continue to cooperate with them.
The model is not studio property. Model + studio is cooperation, this is when both parties are interested and go to success, as in any cooperation, it implies mutual respect and mutual support.

The low rate is not always a bad thing. There are a couple ways to work around it. The low rate for private gets you a video, not everything on the table. If you want a good show, you have to tip while in the private. Don't complain if you only see her take her top off and not much more. If a model is in a private and the member is complaining about tipping during the show, it's better if he never comes back.

I know a model with a low rate for private who did a pee show for a member. In the beginning, he gave 100 tokens after the show. She raised it to 500 then 1000. He complained and walked away. She can pee on and off 5 or 6 times without stopping for water. It's actually kinda odd. I told her he would be back. He came back. Nobody, that can pee like she can, charges 1000 tokens.

My point, the low rate is fine. The model just can't make everything available just because she is in a private. 12 tokens gets you in the door.

Reactions: Dannyhomebody
When I got into camming as a viewer I honestly thought models pay the studios, not the other way round. Meaning the model has full control over all her earnings and pays the studio for the service. Maybe naive but that would much more correspond to my idea of professional cooperation. However Studios paying models and having control over any aspect of her profession leaves many loopholes for massive exploitation.

When I got into camming as a viewer I honestly thought models pay the studios, not the other way round. Meaning the model has full control over all her earnings and pays the studio for the service. Maybe naive but that would much more correspond to my idea of professional cooperation. However Studios paying models and having control over any aspect of her profession leaves many loopholes for massive exploitation.
It's too bad we the models can't pay the studios, because I know it would make filing my taxes a whole hell of a lot easier. Not sure if this still applies, but I wish as a webcam model I could, just like strippers, get to choose how to get paid. Either paying the club and collecting the tips, or the club pays the stripper and the club collects all of the tips. Same logic with the webcam studios. Even an hourly wage? Like waiters/waitresses. At least something hourly for well, being there and working? At the time I post this response, I'm unaware of any studios that pay model/s hourly. Correct me if I'm wrong. Regarding your massive exploitation response: To the woefully naive, unfortunately yes. To avoid being exploited, the model/s has to go into this business with an open mind and decide which studio works/doesn't work. Or you can run your own personal website, do most of your private shows on Skype, or both, and you can avoid the studio/exploitation issue/s altogether. Just sayin. I did like your response though. Do whatever works for you. I, respectfully, use the sites because it's a job, a labor of love, and to boost my porn career.

You are 100% spot on. Studios do nothing but exploit vulnerable and naive people. Literally anyone can work on a cam site and there's always people willing to work so it's a win win for the studios. I used to work on cam sites but quit them and started my own online camming business because they simply take the majority of the profit and you gotta pay taxes on what's left so there's really no advantage to them. Plus if you're marketable it's not hard to find a following online without using a cam site.

I'll not comment the model studio relations as i do know it from both sides and the situation is not always like it i representetd to members. But i do have a word to say about this:
attempt to make the model feel like there is something mentally wrong with themselves for not making more money/being more permissive with customer requests.
From all the consulting experience and communicating with many models, the reason of low earnings unfortunately mostly lays in self-esteem and not knowing own value and boundaries. Might soung tough, but those are exactly mental problems. It does not mean the therapist should make it even worse, but i see no reason for you to think of that, but your own subjective conclusions.
Answering to the question in the topic personally i have no idea why some studios do what they do, but it is definetly on a a model's side to monitor her own feelings and satisfaction level and change the place where she feels discomfort. So it was a good decision to change the studio.
P.S. Pinapple Support is a service of emotional support and pshychological therapy, if anyone is in need and do not trust individuals. Maybe will be useful for someone.

Hi, I am absolutely astonished by the people who trust individuals.
Uhm, my therapist has a private practice. No problems there. But at some point not fighting someone's trust issues can be crucial for a person to finally start the therapy and fight those trust issues 😁 If it's more comfortable to have a mediate chain, then let it be so.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the best models", but from what she has told me, it is a relatively small studio with 6-8 models on three different shifts, so 18-24 models in total throughout the day.

Trust me, it makes me angry as hell that they are doing some of things they do. I'm to the point now that I'm just about to bite the bullet and totally funding her transition to becoming independent. I've been helping her financially since shortly after meeting her anyways, so if she is wanting to go independent I'll definitely help her. I've yet to discuss this with her though, so we'll see how things go. Hopefully I won't be judged too harshly by others here for wanting to do this.
I think that's amazing of you helping a model go independent, I wish I would have went independent instead of with a studio,, Hopefully very soon I'll be independent.

Status
Not open for further replies.