AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Would you use a clip selling platform with a 70/30 split?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 23, 2013
I've noticed a lot of models sell their videos using either tips or clip4sale, all public information available on these mediums point to a 60/40 split in favor of the models.
I'm thinking of building a new clip selling platform that would offer a better margin than the current 60/40 split and all the same features as the existing ones.
Please note that this platform would be royalty-free and as such usable in addition to your existing clip4sale store, this way by linking to this new platform on your profile you'd benefit from a better margin while still receiving clip4sale's publicity.

Now it seems like it could benefit both you and me but building such a platform takes a substantial investment of work,time and money so before I undertake this venture I'd like to know if any of you guys would be interested in using such a platform.

Cheers.

Ps: Be advised that this is not a post to advertise the platform discussed above but rather to open a discussion with the modeling community. Nonetheless if this post infringes on the rules please accept my apologies and remove it.

Re: Would you use a clip selling platform with a 70/30 split

BritishBread said:
I've noticed a lot of models sell their videos using either tips or clip4sale, all public information available on these mediums point to a 60/40 split in favor of the models.
I'm thinking of building a new clip selling platform that would offer a better margin than the current 60/40 split and all the same features as the existing ones.
Please note that this platform would be royalty-free and as such usable in addition to your existing clip4sale store, this way by linking to this new platform on your profile you'd benefit from a better margin while still receiving clip4sale's publicity.

Now it seems like it could benefit both you and me but building such a platform takes a substantial investment of work,time and money so before I undertake this venture I'd like to know if any of you guys would be interested in using such a platform.

Cheers.

Ps: Be advised that this is not a post to advertise the platform discussed above but rather to open a discussion with the modeling community. Nonetheless if this post infringes on the rules please accept my apologies and remove it.

I'd use it if the site was built well, if it was by a trusted person/company and if- primarily - the UPLOADING and ADDING process was completely easy, smooth and quick.

I sepnd a lot of time uploading to clips4sale etc. Its only pocket change... that i make out of it. Your site will obviously have much lower traffic.. so i can expect to make less even tho the split is better. So I need the uploadigng and posting process to be seamless... easy.... and quick!!

Thats my only real input. I stopped using kinkbomb.com cos even tho i like it, the upload process was too buggy for it to be worth my time! i can make more on cam.

Hi,

First of all, let's talk security:
The hosting of the videos will be done using amazon services, so there is no chance of them being stolen or accessed without your permission.
The payment part will be done by the famous Ccbill processor so you can be sure that your clients' credit-card related information will be very safe.
The only informations on my server's database will be an encoded form of your password which would take 12 years to crack if it were ever accessed and I've had previous experience in networking so I can also guarantee it would never be accessed.
So all in all even though I'm not as big as clip4sale you can trust me with your security.

Secondly, about the site's design: It'll be slightly similar to clip4sale's but less "crowded" with a list of models and featured videos on the main page and direct easy access to your studios though the main navigation bar.

Finally the video uploading will be done with a choice of either a simple "browse" button which will then require you to select the video among your computer's files or with a simple drag and drop system. In both case you'll have the possibility to upload multiple videos at once.
The active process on your part will take only a few seconds per video but the video uploading itself might require you to leave the window/tab open for longer depending on the size of the video and the speed of amazon's servers.
I'll take a look at kinkbomb and try to learn from their failures.

Thanks for your input, I hope that cleared things up.

BritishBread said:
Secondly, about the site's design: It'll be slightly similar to clip4sale's but less "crowded" with a list of models and featured videos on the main page and direct easy access to your studios though the main navigation bar.

One of the reasons I use C4S is becase I find them incredibly fair in their promotion and featuring of clips and studios. Hard workers and top-earning studios are showcased along the side of the main page, but everyone else gets their fair share of promotion time with banners and showing in the recently added clips lists.

How will you go about listing models and deciding what videos get featured? If I have to fight to be seen in the first place, it's no longer passive income and most models use these types of sites as passive, secondary income.

Is amazon ok with hosting adult content?

My experience with them, is that they are not to friendly when it comes to adult services.

Reactions: LadyLuna

BritishBread said:

One of my favorite subjects!

BritishBread said:
The hosting of the videos will be done using amazon services, so there is no chance of them being stolen or accessed without your permission.

While I would consider Amazon to have pretty strong security, a major rule with security is that nothing is 100%. I'm not trying to bash you for the service you're considering offering, but 'no chance' is unrealistic. The point of internet security is to make it as difficult as possible, so all but the most dedicated hackers will eventually give up. But the only way to have 100% security is not to host a file in the first place.

BritishBread said:
The only informations on my server's database will be an encoded form of your password which would take 12 years to crack

Time to crack a password depends greatly on the content of the password as well as the type of hash used. Unless you're also assigning the passwords, I wonder how you could make an estimate like that? I will assume you would use an irreversible method such as Blowfish with an unpredictable salt that's different for each password, which would be good. But if someone uses a '12345' kind of password, it'll still take obnoxiously little time to crack it.

Sorry to pick on those points, I'm not against your ideas, I just feel that over confidence involving computer security can leave you very vulnerable. (Plus it gave me an excuse to talk about something that I very much love.)

I won't talk about some of the security strategies I use (not in public especially), but I don't mind referencing non-proprietary things. One thing I think everyone should know is this: Defense in Depth. Multiple layers of security. Misdirection is always a good thing, too. I enjoy the idea of leaving fake vulnerabilities along with fake databases, just to let them think they've got something, and let them waste some time on it. Every moment they spend trying to crack something useless is a moment they're not getting anything legitimate.

Anyway, you didn't really ask for my advice or feedback, but since it's a topic I enjoy discussing, I'm hoping that's not a problem!

Security talk is fascinating, but I'm curious about your marketing.

Are you planning this as a destination site with its own promotional and traffic-generation strategy, or more as an easy-to-use depository where cam models can send their members to go buy the videos they already know they want? One of the reasons C4S can impose the terms that it does is that it has built a name for itself, and that building costs money.

Will models be able to set their own prices or will you impose a standard rate like C4S?

BritishBread said:
The only informations on my server's database will be an encoded form of your password which would take 12 years to crack if it were ever accessed
As pointed out before you cannot guarantee that as it is dependent on the password a user gives. All you are saying is that if a hacker downloads your database they cannot decrypt the passwords easily.

But to do that (download your database) your system was already hacked and that means they have full control over your system. At that point who cares about a users password (unless they use it on other sites). The users email address (or other data) is far more valuable than the password which would not be encrypted.

BritishBread said:
So all in all even though I'm not as big as clip4sale you can trust me with your security.
Just because clip4sale is big does not mean they are secure or I should trust them.

More and more hackers going now after the infrastructure of security (like OAuth, SSL, hardware) and companies blindly using that security model without knowing how it works are clueless; recently its' been a bonanza of POC (Proof of Concept) attacks against this infrastructure and there are some interesting results, some are down right scary because they affect the big players like banks and such for example using BREACH (Browser Reconnaissance and Exfiltration via Adaptive Compression of Hypertext).

Now I am not saying you cannot build a secure system what I am saying is that comments like these to unknowing people is bad marketing and more knowledge is power so that is why I commented.

Leaving out ALL of the rest of the other details and pretending they don't exist, a 70/30 split in my favor would be super awesome. Even more so if the uploading process was super easy. The least amount of work for the most monetary return? Yes, please!

I spent a long time writing a detailed response and then I got logged out, oh the humanity ...

@AllisonWilder

I'll do my best to make the featured system fair but I can't give you any more details as of now.
Take into consideration that this is not a platform to drive new sales to your videos. I will never compete with clip4sale marketing wise. The main point of this idea would be to redirect the sales you already generate on your own with your model profile to a platform with a better margin.

@CurvyRedhead

Yep they're OK with it as long as it's legal.

@Zyleth
No worries.
Nothing is 100% secure but if someone were to hack amazon, which is already unlikely, there are a lot more juicy targets than a few hundred nude videos.
As for the password you got that right, 12 years is a ballpark, I'll also use specific registration rules along the line of number and chars, minimum number of chars, some capitalized chars, etc...

@Sevrin

The second one, it's only a depository with a better margin.
Marketing is not part of the current offer, it might be added to the plan later on if it takes off but no guarantees.

The clip prices will be at the models' discretion, the margin split is imposed at 70/30 as the payment processor already takes a significant cut.

@William

See my answer to Zyleth, password reuse is huge so I wanted to hammer in that point.
If my server were hacked all information on it but the passwords would be compromised. But as of now I haven't decided what information will be stored on it. The critical model related information and customer emails will already be available on my Ccbill account for payment management reasons so I might not need to store them in the same database as the passwords.
I can't go fully into this as of now since I've only laid the basis of the platform's architecture. It'll take a lot more work and thought but I need to get a feel for the community's enthusiasm before I proceed.

@Rose

Well I'm very happy about your enthusiasm!
I can only hope the rest of the modeling community feels the same!

Cheers, everyone.

Reactions: Zyleth

BritishBread said:
@AllisonWilder

I'll do my best to make the featured system fair but I can't give you any more details as of now.
Take into consideration that this is not a platform to drive new sales to your videos. I will never compete with clip4sale marketing wise. The main point of this idea would be to redirect the sales you already generate on your own with your model profile to a platform with a better margin.

Ah, I see, thanks!

So basically we'd just be driving the traffic from wherever we cam to this site so that we can have a better cut? I can see this working (and working well) from a social networking standpoint, but I'm pretty sure it's against the rules of most (if not all) camsites to advertise other sites on their model profile or to go around their payment system.

I'm pretty sure it's against the rules of most (if not all) camsites to advertise other sites on their model profile or to go around their payment system.

If you tell me which website you use I'll check the rules, but my experience has been that models often link to their clip4sale studio on their profile.
It's only "bypassing" clip4sale's payment system not your cam site's . And since clip4sale doesn't have exclusivity on the videos you post on their website you're perfectly in your right to post these videos anywhere else you please.

Edit: Alright, I've been to your cam website, I wasn't aware it also took care of video hosting. For cam websites offering both cam streaming AND video hosting this offer won't be of any interest if forbidden by the rules.

BritishBread said:
I'm pretty sure it's against the rules of most (if not all) camsites to advertise other sites on their model profile or to go around their payment system.

If you tell me which website you use I'll check the rules, but models often link to their clip4sale studio on their profile.
It's only "bypassing" clip4sale's payment system not your cam site's . And since clip4sale doesn't have exclusivity on the videos you post on their website you're perfectly in your right to post these videos anywhere else you please.

I use Streamate and I'm positive that any directing of traffic to anywhere (even to Twitter or exchanging email addresses) can get my account suspended and/or terminated.

Edit for clarification: Streamate doesn't allow us to host files there, the videos you see on-site are videos that they sell.

Reactions: Rose and Evvie

Yeah I edited while you were posting, sorry about that.

I'm sorry to say that websites that provide both Cam streaming and video hosting won't allow this.

The offer still stands for most cam streaming only websites.

Cheers for the info.

BritishBread said:
Yeah I edited while you were posting, sorry about that.

I'm sorry to say that websites that provide both Cam streaming and video hosting won't allow this.

The offer still stands for most cam streaming only websites.

Cheers for the info.
I want to clarify the point made earlier --

On Streamate, we do not get to host our videos and sell them. It is a streaming only website.

I feel it would be erroneous and damaging to tell models they can link to other sites on their profiles with impunity. I have never seen a single website where this is allowed; true, often times (like on MFC) the rule is not enforced. But any model can still be punished for it at any time.

There are some very popular streaming only websites (like Streamate) where we would get our accounts deleted for linking to external sites. To suggest that all streaming-only sites are fine with external linkage is incorrect.

Evvie said:
There are some very popular streaming only websites (like Streamate) where we would get our accounts deleted for linking to external sites. To suggest that all streaming-only sites are fine with external linkage is incorrect.
That. ^^

It would be a safer bet for most models, myself included, to promote their video sites via twitter, tumblr, vine, etc. I would not advertise my clips4sale on live cam because it's not worth the risk for me.

I'm not privy to the contract signed between the models and their cam websites, I had assumed it was allowed since I've seen it done profusely, thanks for the clarification. =)
I do not encourage nor discourage linking on your cam website's profile, and none of the information provided by me in this thread should be thought of better value than the information provided in your contract.
As pointed out by Rose, the link to this platform needn't be on your profile, you could link form your twitter, blog or any other site you feel comfortable with. That kind of choice is yours to make and none of my business.

With all that having been said, the question stands for all the models that already link (wherever from) to a clip selling website and I'd love to hear your opinions.

Cheers.

Reactions: LadyLuna

BritishBread said:
Nothing is 100% secure but if someone were to hack amazon, which is already unlikely, there are a lot more juicy targets than a few hundred nude videos.

That is definitely true.

BritishBread said:
As for the password you got that right, 12 years is a ballpark, I'll also use specific registration rules along the line of number and chars, minimum number of chars, some capitalized chars, etc...

*defines 'etc' for any who may not know* Alpha/Numeric/Symbolic! If I consider the security of a login to be important (like a MySQL user, or root account) I'm a pretty big fan of passwords like this: rSY@9z£ (random keymashing for another 15 characters or so..) Just having one character from each set makes such a huge difference.

Thanks for being so forgiving about me gleefully borrowing your thread to focus on just that one aspect of it. ^_^

Oh, and I tend to select all and then copy to clipboard if I've spent a lot of time on a post/email. Sometimes back works, but just in case...never hurts to have it in the buffer. (Control-A/Control-C if any viewers wonder about that.) I've learned to do that with MFC when I'm being too spammy just because of their mail size limit, and no notification as to where you are for character count.

Anyway...Best of luck to you. I'm always a fan of people who want to treat others fairly, so I do support your idea, and would even be willing to help ya' if you run into any problems, though you do seem pretty knowledgeable to me.

Reactions: EmelieSky and Gen

I just wanted to come in here and say thanks for not being spammy and insulting people who point out potential problems or ask questions about your site.

AlexLady said:
One feature that I'd require is the ability to upload clips via FTP. It's faster, easier, and well, better. Will you have that from the start or in the future?

one bad thing about FTP is that it's not encrypted

also probably the reason it's faster

God said:
AlexLady said:
One feature that I'd require is the ability to upload clips via FTP. It's faster, easier, and well, better. Will you have that from the start or in the future?

Core FTP is a secure FTP client for Windows, developed by CoreFTP.com. Features include FTP, SSL/TLS, SFTP via SSH, and HTTP/HTTPS support. Secure FTP clients encrypt account information and data transferred across the internet, protecting data from being seen or sniffed across networks. Core FTP is a traditional FTP client with local files displayed on the left, remote files on the right.

Reactions: Nordling

Your site sounds intriguing. I will probably try it out, but I won't take down the Clips4Sale store either. Just a matter of giving options to those who wish to buy!

Will the buyers be required to make a membership on your site to buy from it? One big complaint I get from the MFC guys is that they don't want to make a membership for another site just to get my videos.

JerryBoBerry said:
God said:
AlexLady said:

Core FTP is a secure FTP client for Windows, developed by CoreFTP.com. Features include FTP, SSL/TLS, SFTP via SSH, and HTTP/HTTPS support. Secure FTP clients encrypt account information and data transferred across the internet, protecting data from being seen or sniffed across networks. Core FTP is a traditional FTP client with local files displayed on the left, remote files on the right.

Core FTP is secure on the client side. That does not mean that the server is using a secure connection, or any form of encryption.

As far as FTP is concerned, unless you are a big target, or really have the need to be compromised, your information is safe.

For a secure file transfer, I would suggest a SFTP using filezilla with a unique username and PASSPHRASE (here is an article on it: LINK). The question now comes to the web developer.

How are you going to prevent XSS (cross site scripting), or prevent a brute force attack? Will the system lock out an account after X login attempts?

I make some money on C4S every month but most of my sales there are not generated through advertising my site on Twitter or anywhere else but from C4S's own traffic. For sites like MFC, I'd rather sell my videos directly to members (with Mediafire or Dropbox links) for tokens because of the benefit to camscore; further, like Streamate, we are not allowed to send members to other sites to buy our content. This MAY happen on MFC but I've never seen a model's profile advertising her C4S store.

For me, because I have a slow-ish upload speed, the time it would take to upload my videos to a new site unless it was driving its own traffic wouldn't be worth it. I already spend time uploading vids to C4S, ELM, Mediafire, and sometimes MGF for my own sales; if I wouldn't be getting more traffic out of it, I wouldn't spend the extra time to do more uploads.

I do love the idea of 70/30 split though.

Reactions: DudeExtreme and Gen
Status
Not open for further replies.