AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Netflix-Stranger Things

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I binge watched all of it. LOVED IT! It was nice seeing Winona Ryder in something.
I'm eagerly waiting season 2 ^_^ it's been awhile since a new show impressed me so much.

I binge watched all of it. LOVED IT! It was nice seeing Winona Ryder in something.
I'm eagerly waiting season 2 ^_^ it's been awhile since a new show impressed me so much.
I love her as well..but when did she get old :( I still remember when Heathers was first out.....

So good, it's the best kid staring movie sense super 8. I hear they're already working on a squeal.

People always say I look like Winona. I'm like "hell yes I'll take it" lol

Just finished it up today, thought it was brilliant. Definitely looking forward to season 2.

If anyone is reading this who hasn't seen it yet, HIGHLY recommend watching at least the last three episodes in one big block. The pacing there is quick, and a break might ruin some of the fantastic momentum they get going.

Reactions: DFT
Man, the girl who plays El sure has some screen presence. Only a few words per episode, but every scene she's in, she just owns.

Good stuff. I was especially impressed by the attention paid to the characters. It's the kind of show that could have easily relied on simple archetypes, but as far as the primary cast, I found them all to be pleasantly complex. I'm also glad they kept it to such a short time frame. 8 episodes meant a streamlined narrative, which worked very well in the show's favor. Any more, and I think it would have been a lot less successful.

Reactions: BettyDemure and DFT
Just finished it last night.

Why did it seem no one gave a shit about Barb?? Feeling unresolved on that.

edit to add: I also don't see how, if there is one, a 2nd season could be made based off of the same characters. Maybe it'll go the route of True Detective and Fargo where it's a whole different cast.

Last edited:

edit to add: I also don't see how, if there is one, a 2nd season could be made based off of the same characters. Maybe it'll go the route of True Detective and Fargo where it's a whole different cast.

I think they said they would keep the same cast and plot going on season 2. I also think they are going to struggle to keep my attention, feels like a Twin Peaks situation, but the last scene did set up some drama for next season plus I have a hunch there is more to Eleven's whereabouts than they let on.

Overall I liked the series a lot. I understand they were going for a Stephen King, 80s horror sort of vibe so I understand why, but the plot would have been 10 times more satisfying to me without the monster. It sort of killed the suspense for me when I saw it.

Reactions: AmberCutie

The lack of a shit given about Barb irked me too.

Stuff I'm thinking/hoping they address/explore in season 2...

• They imply Eleven is alive at the end (with the Eggo wrappers in the woods that Hopper finds in the closing montage) so where is she?
  • Will came back from the Upside Down clearly not quite right, and apparently able to see things others can't (the Upside Down world encroaching on our world?), so it begs the question, how else has he been changed by his time stuck there. My guess is he'll be able to travel between the two worlds and he'll be the key to the shadowy government figures (who can't all be gone) finding whatever it is they were hoping to find there.
  • What were they hoping to find there?
  • The Nancy/Charlie/J̶e̶a̶n̶ ̶R̶a̶l̶p̶h̶i̶o̶ Steve love triangle can't be over yet
  • If Eleven was... 11, then where are 1-10? Is there a 12? A 13?
  • We never saw Papa's dead body so I'm guessing he's still out there somewhere. Who is he really working for?
  • It's implied that the Demagorgon is still alive (when the kids are playing Dungeons and Dragons, they're told they need to roll a 12 to beat him, but when it came to beating the real Demagorgon, they only had Eleven...), but are there more of them? What other monsters lurk in the Upside Down and how do they get there?
  • Season 1 was set in 83, so if Season 2 is set in 84, then that's the year Purple Rain comes out. What's gonna be each character's favourite song from the soundtrack? Is Nancy gonna swoon over "The Beautiful Ones"? Is "Darling Nikki" gonna stir a new-found sexual awakening in Karen? Will Dustin go crazy to "Let's Go Crazy"? Is "Purple Rain" gonna unlock a more feminine side in Steve? These are the important questions and really, the questions that the second season should be devoting itself to. Also, Ghostbusters.

The lack of a shit given about Barb irked me too.

I think everyone believed the "official" story where Barb ran away, which is why there weren't search parties or anything. As a kid, Will was probably considered in danger easier than someone who is almost an adult. That is my best bet. I would have liked seeing her parents at some point though.

• They imply Eleven is alive at the end (with the Eggo wrappers in the woods that Hopper finds in the closing montage) so where is she?

And it makes sense from a screenwriting perspective if they want to go on Season 2 with the same plot/cast. They sacrifice Eleven to save Will and that would have been a fair trade and a clean way to end the story. But if Eleven survived that means Will will not. If the second season is good and Eleven survived Will will either die or "die" symbolically. So I feel like Will coughing up that slug on the final scene is the counter-balance to the eggo wrappers. Maybe he will turn into the next Demagorgon? Maybe he will have to struggle against something dark within him?

• Will came back from the Upside Down clearly not quite right, and apparently able to see things others can't (the Upside Down world encroaching on our world?), so it begs the question, how else has he been changed by his time stuck there. My guess is he'll be able to travel between the two worlds and he'll be the key to the shadowy government figures (who can't all be gone) finding whatever it is they were hoping to find there.
  • What were they hoping to find there?
I don't think they wanted to find anything, I think it was an accident. El was using her powers to spy on the russians and the demagorgon made contact with her. When Papa said to try to find out what it was he couldn't have predicted that it would open a gate to the other dimension. Everything else I think was an attempt to cover that up.

I think everyone believed the "official" story where Barb ran away, which is why there weren't search parties or anything. As a kid, Will was probably considered in danger easier than someone who is almost an adult. That is my best bet. I would have liked seeing her parents at some point though.
Didn't they find her body near Will's in the Upside Down, though? Maybe they didn't want to break the news to her parents? Iunno. I may have been sleepy when I watched the episode, maybe I am mistaken.

Barb will live on forever as memes on the internet. Truly the best fate of all.

I think it was a very well-structured ending, and the first season is satisfying on its own. It wouldn't need a second season, but there is most definitely room made for one. Aside from Barb, and as already mentioned, there are tons of loose ends to explore from here. The biggest part, for me -- and a point I'm not seeing discussed, despite its crucial importance -- is
the rift is still open, and the Upside Down is growing into "our" world. We see that in the last couple of episodes, when Hopper and Joyce head through the rift. The entire "bath" room was overtaken, and so were the halls of the lower level of the complex.

Also, the big question still remains: what the hell is that dimension, and how did it get that way? DnD analogies can only get so far. The fact that it is a mirror dimension, but overtaken by whatever that necrotic darkness is, really only makes for a lot of questions. What happened to the people there? How long has it been like that? Obviously, it hadn't been like that always, or even for very long, since there are cars and libraries, and even Will's fort in the woods. In the library, Hopper and Joyce even come upon an unidentified skeleton, which would imply that there had been people there for far longer than the time frame of the first season. Also, even if the demagorgon is dead, there are almost certainly other horrors in the Upside Down -- at least other demagorgon monsters. There was a very Alien-looking egg in one shot.

There's also a lot of character arc loose ends, like what's up with Hopper and the government? After such a big and pretty damned public monster massacre, how is it that everyone was just allowed to go back to their normal lives?
The season finale was satisfying, but it certainly wasn't a tight little package with nothing to lead to a second season. Lots of big leads to explore from here.

• Helpful!
Didn't they find her body near Will's in the Upside Down, though? Maybe they didn't want to break the news to her parents? Iunno. I may have been sleepy when I watched the episode, maybe I am mistaken.

Yeah, it was Eleven who found Barb's body when she went in the inflatable pool at the school's gym and told the others "she is gone" and I assume they didn't tell Barb's parents because who would believe such story? When I said that everyone believed the official story I meant the town at large.. How nobody organized search parties or a funeral or went after her, etc. I do think the main characters cared about her because it is the reason Mike's sister gets involved

• Helpful!
Hopper did see Barb when they found Will. There's nothing that says Barb's parents weren't given some explanation. At this point, though, it's off-camera stuff. The creators have stated that Barb's fate will be addressed in a second season.

I loved the show. However, those kids are at an age where puberty starts up and ramps up very quickly. I hope they are already filming season 2. The show will not have the same feel to it once the kids are no longer at that innocent age. I cant see this show lasting very long with the same cast for that reason alone

Just finished it. I liked it--I'd give it a 4/5. Will coughing up that slug thing and being able to see the upside down, plus Hopper placing food in that box, are definitely lead-ins for the next season. When I finished the last episode, I was thinking that it would be better if they left it at one season, but upon further reflection, there's a lot left to explore, such as what is the upside down--is it an unwanted side effect of the DOE lab's experiments, or something that they discovered through their experiments?

A lot of the enjoyment for me was the nostalgia, though as someone who was in his mid 20s at the time this was set, sometimes it seemed more like the 70s. The 70s/80s was a time when kids still played outside unsupervised. When I was that age, in the mornings, my friends and I would fan out on our bikes or on foot, completely out of touch with the home base until dinner time. I fondly remember exploring a buried concrete drainage tunnel that was under construction. It's a minor miracle that we survived all the $hit we did.

Winona Ryder was excellent--she had her role nailed down. Add she looks great.

Millie Bobby Brown, who played Eleven, has such presence just from her facial expressions and eyes, and in how she holds herself. She's only 12, and will be someone to watch.

Hopper is my favorite character. He seems like the heart and soul of the show.

I thought I caught a few anachronisms, but I don't usually watch for or keep track of that stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.