AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!
  • ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Justmarie_xo

Inactive Cam Model
Jan 12, 2017
Colorado
Twitter Username
@ohmaemeow
Tumblr Username
ohmaemeow
MFC Username
MaeMeow
Chaturbate Username
MaeMeow
ManyVids URL
https://www.manyvids.com/Profile/533128/MissMae/
Hi guys!
So I'm not a professional at really anything, modeling or photography; so camming has really introduced me to a whole array of artistic expression! idk so I have no idea where to start as far as capturing the perfect shot with my camera. I have had this camera for a while and it's pretty decent. I have been using it only recently because I finally got a charging dock for the battery :yay
Anyways, the camera I have is a Nikon 1 J1, not that camera type necessarily matters. It has a 10-30 mm lens. I also have a tripod I can set it on and a self-timer (still getting the hang of it). I figured I just play with it this way to see if I get any great self shots ect.
I guess what I am asking is if anyone has any advice or can lead me in the right direction to learn more. I want to start dishing out some awesome photosets and I can see great things happening with this camera.
Thanks!
Mae:h:

You might find it easier to get the optional ml-l3 wireless remote control instead of using the timer. Would allow you to take multiples of one pose quickly. Then decide later which one of them is the best.

The Nikon brand goes for around $30, but there's several other choices for less.

chrome_2017-01-12_10-55-29.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-1-12_10-55-58.png
    upload_2017-1-12_10-55-58.png
    345.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I'm not familiar with your camera and and I'm even less familiar with photographing myself...
However, if your camera did not come with a remote shutter such as this one here I would definitely recommend you acquire one. [edit] @JerryBoBerry beat me to it.
Setting focus will be much easier if you are able to be in the scene while focusing. Most remote triggers should allow you to still use the 2 or 10 second timer giving you enough time to toss the trigger to the side once you've got your pose down.
Also, I think that the J series cameras have a built in intervalometer that allow for time-lapse photography. This would allow you to set your camera to take a photo every 1 or 3 or 5 or (however many) seconds for a set period of time without you having to use the remote trigger between every shot.
As far as improving your photography or modeling... shoot, shoot shoot! And have fun.

You might find it easier to get the optional ml-l3 wireless remote control instead of using the timer. Would allow you to take multiples of one pose quickly. Then decide later which one of them is the best.

The Nikon brand goes for around $30, but there's several other choices for less.

View attachment 68098

I didn't know these were available for my camera! Thanks! I will have to look into purchasing one. :cat:

Reactions: JerryBoBerry
I'm not familiar with your camera and and I'm even less familiar with photographing myself...
However, if your camera did not come with a remote shutter such as this one here I would definitely recommend you acquire one. [edit] @JerryBoBerry beat me to it.
Setting focus will be much easier if you are able to be in the scene while focusing. Most remote triggers should allow you to still use the 2 or 10 second timer giving you enough time to toss the trigger to the side once you've got your pose down.
Also, I think that the J series cameras have a built in intervalometer that allow for time-lapse photography. This would allow you to set your camera to take a photo every 1 or 3 or 5 or (however many) seconds for a set period of time without you having to use the remote trigger between every shot.
As far as improving your photography or modeling... shoot, shoot shoot! And have fun.
Yes, my camera has a intervalometer as well, I've been kinda playing around with it this week. I am mostly concerned with not being able to see myself until the shot was already taken. Do you generally just shoot until the perfect picture comes along? I'm so used to having a selfie option on my phone or being able to see myself in the web camera. It's amazing to me how some models can create professional photography with self shots.

Yes, my camera has a intervalometer as well, I've been kinda playing around with it this week. I am mostly concerned with not being able to see myself until the shot was already taken.
Your camera should have a USB or HDMI out. With HDMI out, you may be able to monitor your camera via TV. With USB out, you may be able to monitor via the camera software or one of many photo editing and capture software on your laptop. Look up "Tethered Shooting". Worst case scenario, if your camera did not come with a capture software (tethering software) and you don't want to pony up the dough for something like Capture One or Lightroom, set your webcam right next to your Nikon and monitor yourself via your laptop. Of course this won't show you exactly what your Nikon is doing but it will at least give you an idea of what you might look like.
Be wary of this method though... I've seen more than one video or photo where it's quite obvious that a model is looking at the screen next to the camera rather than the camera.

Do you generally just shoot until the perfect picture comes along? I'm so used to having a selfie option on my phone or being able to see myself in the web camera. It's amazing to me how some models can create professional photography with self shots.
I can't comment on how models self shoot... my life is spent behind cameras so I look for or create the right moment. I have the luxury of waiting for what I want. Even then, while I choose the moments I capture, not all are keepers.
Again, I can't speak for any of the models here but I'm willing to wager that most models who shoot their own photos wind up deleting 80% of their shots. So most likely, yes... shoot until the right picture comes along. However, as you're learning... keep those photos you don't like. At least for a while. Learn what you don't like about them. Forget about the technical aspects of the pictures and concentrate on what you don't like about your pose/expression/angles/etc. Examining yourself objectively is hard, I realize... but it's the quickest way to improve your posing and expressions. Once you're happy with how you present yourself, then you can concentrate on learning a bit more about your camera and how to use it to it's fullest potential.

I was going to suggest the Nikon Wireless Mobility app. But after reading the manual for that camera; it look like it only supports the nikon ML-L3 remote control . And @JerryBoBerry already linked you to some 3rd party remotes that are cheaper, and should work.

@Shutterbuck it looks like the camera has a HDMI port. So you can connect the camera to the TV using a HDMI cable. (assuming the TV supports HDMI) But it looks like it goes into a playback mode. So she might not be able to take pictures while it's connect to her TV.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.