AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Ah Another Laptop Post

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HaleyBlake

Cam Model
Feb 6, 2014
I swear I've looked through every thread that is relevant to being up to date, alllll over here, all in reddit, etc, etc. And I am STILL three hours later at a total loss for a new laptop.

I really don't mind spending good money for a good laptop. The one thing I've read that seems to be a common factor is a gaming laptop, I'm just having the hardest time figuring out which one.

Any recommendations? I'm going to start streaming again so stream quality is really important, I also edit clips using photoshop. I'm just looking for something fast & can run smooth for both streaming and my programs.

I'm sorry if this post is all over the place, I'm ready to pull my hair out lol.

I swear I've looked through every thread that is relevant to being up to date, alllll over here, all in reddit, etc, etc. And I am STILL three hours later at a total loss for a new laptop.

I really don't mind spending good money for a good laptop. The one thing I've read that seems to be a common factor is a gaming laptop, I'm just having the hardest time figuring out which one.

Any recommendations? I'm going to start streaming again so stream quality is really important, I also edit clips using photoshop. I'm just looking for something fast & can run smooth for both streaming and my programs.

I'm sorry if this post is all over the place, I'm ready to pull my hair out lol.
Gaming laptops might have been a good recommendation in the past, but for the most part you should be able to stream without issue using any laptop with a processor made in the last 2-3 years.

I would say it's only if you are going to do intensive video editing that you'd want something with a dedicated graphics card, or an m1 mac I'd you want to go the apple route, though I don't think they support OBS just yet.

Pretty much any of the intel i series (stay away from Celeron and pentium, they can barely run windows, let alone applications on top of it). will be able to handle streaming. Video editing and photoshop are going to be what are going to decide what you buy imo, both of them like a lot of ram, so you are going to want something with as much ram as possible, I would say the minimum is 16gb but they will basically use whatever you have avalibule. They will run with 8gb but will be noticeably slower in my experiance, especially when rendering texters and larger files.

The biggest factor in whats going to work best for you is going to depend mainly on the software you want to run and not just the type of program but the actual application. Different programs use the system differently to achieve what seems to the user as the same result. OFC the other alternative would just be to get the highest spec machine you can (which tbh is never a bad choice as it should be able to handle anything extra that you decide to do with it in the future.).
One thing that the gaming laptops do still offer that makes them worth looking at is the improved cooling over ultra lights and other laptops. generally they have bigger fans and better overall cooling solutions, and the cooler you can run the computer the better it preforms.

Personally I would be looking at something like this:

I use Davinci Studio which uses hardware encoding along with photoshop, and indesign for design work along with camming. Most of the specs on that laptop are mainly to have a smoother video editing experiance and faster encoding times. If you wanted to save some $ on that price though I would look at maybe a ryzen5 or intel i5, with an rtx 3050ti or gtx 1660 (they will give noticeably increased video rendering times if you are using a program that uses hardware encoding, you would proberly be looking at an extra 30-50% on the encoding times) and drop the ram amount to 16gb. It would proberly save you like $500 or so but IMO I would say the faster encode times is worth the $500.

For photoshop and other design programs the biggest difference would be in the time loading large texture files and preview updates, loading of large assets etc, otherwise those changes wont make too much of a difference. IMO it's worth having the dedicated GPU even if right now you arnt doing video editing as it leaves that option open to you in the future. (you can do video editing without a dedicated gpu but the encoding times are usually around double from what I have found).

Side note: watch out if you are purchasing through amazon, sellers on there (and ebay and basically any other 3rd party market place will just list things as i5 or i7 or ryzen 5 or ryzen 7 without telling you the model number. some of the laptops listed on amazon for over $1000 are close to 10 years old at this point but the sellers know that they thing people are looking for is just that it's an i7 laptop because thats what they were told to buy, retail stores also do this I have found although not quiet as bad, with a retail store you might end up with something thats 3-4 years old instead of 8-9). For reference the newest ryzen models with be 5000 series (so things like 5900, 5700 etc), and intel will be model numbers stating with 11. So if you see a laptop thats like i7 3200, it's really not going to be worth picking up.

I'm using Lenovo's Legion, it's okay. The only down side is its weight, it weighs a ton in comparison to the Macbook I use for work.
I would take a guess that the lenovo's cpu runs a bit cooler when put under load and maintains it's clock speeds under load better than the macbook though, that's generally where the weight comes from is bigger batteries and/or a lot more heat pipes to move the heat away from core components which generally run at higher clocks than the same part when used in a macbook (apple knows the cooling solutions they have in macbooks cant run at full tilt so they down clock them at the time of manufacture and add in some very aggressive thermal throttling to make sure they keep running quietly (not sure if that holds true for the M1 mac's but it's the case for the intel bassed ones)).

Thin and lights like the macbooks are great until you need to do something that puts it under a heavy load for a long time (like video encoding) that's when you see the difference in the cooling solutions. 99% of the time you arnt going to be putting the system under enough load to hit the thermal limits, photoshop and streaming isnt going to do it, but video editing can if your files are large or complex enough.

If doing content creation I would say they make a great second system in the case where you have something with more power to offload heavier work to, but in the case of having it as an only system I would personal take the extra weight to have something that's going to be able to get the job done without hitting the thermal limits that are going to drop the clock speeds making the job take longer and also meaning that it's going to need to be serviced a lot more often (having new thermal compound applied and such).

There's always going to be that trade off with portable devices though, higher performance outputs more heat, which means a better cooling solution is needed which adds size, and better performance uses more power meaning you then also need a bigger battery which adds more size and weight. You just need to find the balance on what you need, if you are looking for something that's as portable as possible then chances are you arnt also looking for something that can spit out 4k videos as fast as possible as well, when you are relying on a single machine the last thing you want is to be waiting for a video to finish encoding when you have other things you need to get done.

Status
Not open for further replies.