AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Amazing Talent Burned Too Bright...

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
See also; Janis Joplin. Same age as Amy Winehouse when she died a similar drug-related death. She also had an incredible voice. She was one of those singers who had no filter, completely fearless and undaunted by their own limitations, routinely pushing herself to reach notes that she probably shouldn't have been able to hit (and was sometimes too drunk or high to hit anyway). Ironically, it's that lack of a filter that her detractors cite as being her downfall - her lack of calm, measured, controlled performance - but I've always thought that was bullshit and that the absence of any filter was her biggest asset. My favourite artists have always been the ones just uncool enough to actually care about the music, to actually give a shit, ya know? To be consumed by something other than image or money or acceptance or the rush to convince people they were too cool to care about silly things like rock and roll. Joplin gave a shit. And because she only knew how to sing from the gut, every word she sang just dripped with emotion and it's endlessly endearing.

"Maybe" is one of my favourite songs ever and this is probably my favourite version. The whole thing's amazing but that bit at around 3:30... if that doesn't send shivers down your spine, you might not have a soul :?

This one (a cover of Big Mama Thornton's "Ball and Chain") is (rightly) widely considered to be one of the best live performances of all time (and it is). It's about as calm and measured as Joplin ever got, with things gradually building until it all spills over at about 4:40 in this moment of absurd, beautiful catharsis that I seriously can't watch without crying (something about singers, especially female singers, just saying "fuck it" and letting it all hang out, sacrificing self-control to raw, unbridled emotion (or at least making it appear that way) that just fucking slays me). Also notable/awesome are the continued shots of Mama Cass (an accomplished singer in her own right) in the audience, looking on in open-mouthed awe.

Another artist who I adore, and keep returning to listen to her music is Beth Hart. A giant voice, IMHO, that reminds me of Amy, Janis and others who've burned out way too young. Beth apparently has conquered her addictions and is still making wonderful sound. Under-appreciated in the U.S., she apparently is much loved in Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.