AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Amazon Wish list giving out personal info

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 13, 2011
TN
So I was in addyrhode's room last night and heard people talking about if you put your address on your amazon wish list the person buying the item can get your real name and address. Has anyone heard more about this and if it's true any ideas to get around this. Easiest would be a PO BOX

It will if you order from a third party source on Amazon. I had this happen then I was stalked and harassed, even blackmailed by the guy that got it. For 6 months I got a very large PO box for 90 bucks! It was WELL worth it!

A FEW trusted regulars have my actual address, but beyond that I don't want just anyone to have access to my address. Any new models that do want an Amazon list should really invest in a PO box somewhere :p

Yep. I think(hope) all models are using PO boxes at this point.
Amazon themselves don't give out personal information but most people check the third party seller option. These third parties are often not so careful an send up sending you eachothers details. Oh well. Most models know all about this though :) but sweet of you to look out for us anyway!

Reactions: PlayboyMegan
so I guess you could avoid it by being careful what's going on your wishlist, but yeah if you expect a large volume of mail I would for sure get a PO box.

I have had two third party sellers give me model's addresses in the past so it does happen. PO boxes are okay you just have to remember a lot of stuff will not ship to them. A mailbox at a UPS store is even better because that is treated like a street address, but don't forget if you have furniture on your wish list you will still have to get it home if someone buys it for you.

I'm just going to bump this up rather than making a new topic.

I'm planning on getting a P.O. box once I am able to afford one because of safety before I register with Amazon Wish List.
So, now I know my address will be safe, but what about my name?
If I were to register with my 'stage name', will that be a problem for deliveries? Would my real name be necessary?
Even if I use only my first name, I wouldn't feel too comfortable. My name is not all too common.

BabyGirlRed said:

I'm planning on getting a P.O. box once I am able to afford one because of safety before I register with Amazon Wish List.
If I were to register with my 'stage name', will that be a problem for deliveries? Would my real name be necessary?
Even if I use only my first name, I wouldn't feel too comfortable. My name is not all too common.

Go to where you plan to get the box and ask them. My post office has no problem with me getting stuff with random names on it (maybe because I'm near Los Angeles and so many people have stage names) but I can't promise yours is the same way. But enough people get boxes for business purposes that I'd expect them to be accustomed to people wanting to receive things with other names.

I know lots of people like to get boxes at UPS Stores specifically because they're good at handling this, but they do tend to cost more than post office boxes.

Reactions: BabyGirlRed
I've had Amazon give my info out and also have received buyers names and addresses on the packing slip. The risk goes both ways. Personally, if someone's going to have my address, I hope they come bearing gifts. Hehehe.

Reactions: 16_bit
JickyJuly said:
I've had Amazon give my info out and also have received buyers names and addresses on the packing slip. The risk goes both ways. Personally, if someone's going to have my address, I hope they come bearing gifts. Hehehe.

I like to come gifting bears... but people tend to run from the grizzlies I bring. Never understand it.

:p

I just recently got a box with UPS. It's a bit more expensive than the PO box but you're listed as an actual street address, you get a key to the building so you can get mail at night and they accept all packages so there's none of that "cannot deliver to this address" stuff you sometimes get. Plus, it always makes me lol when someone comes and tells me they know where I live and then list that address. Great sleuthing there, Sherlock. :lol: They let me use my cam name too, no questions asked.

NerdgasmGirl said:
I just recently got a box with UPS. It's a bit more expensive than the PO box but you're listed as an actual street address, you get a key to the building so you can get mail at night and they accept all packages so there's none of that "cannot deliver to this address" stuff you sometimes get. Plus, it always makes me lol when someone comes and tells me they know where I live and then list that address. Great sleuthing there, Sherlock. :lol: They let me use my cam name too, no questions asked.
This is my recommendation.

Also a reminder: there is always the chance that buyers will attain your delivery address via shipping companies when buying stuff for you off your wishlist. FedEx, UPS, USPS, etc., may send the buyer a tracking number that shows a lot of info.

BabyGirlRed said:

I told my post office that I would have mail delivered to Lily Evans, and they were totally cool with it (although they thought it was amusing.) You have to use your legal name to rent the PO box but then you can list several names that will receive mail at that box, and anyone who is listed on the account can pick up mail from there (for example, I never have to prive i am "Lily Evans", I just show my ID which has my legal name and I can pick up "her" mail.) I also put my boyfriend's name on that list, so he can pick up mail for me.

I ALSO rented a box in a town far from my own, because Amazon does show the city your stuff ships to, and third parties will often divulge the full address. Having members knowing the town I live in is very unsettling to me; luckily I live in a HUGE metroplex where it would be near impossible for them to narrow it down based on PO Box information.

sallysweet said:
I'm too broke to have a PO box. Are there any other options? What about the gift card option? What are the stipulations behind that?
Digital gift cards (they are simply sent to your email) are a great way to go.

But something I've found is that people who ask you about a wishlist want to buy you a gift, not just give you digital money to spend.

Amazon also lists your town/state/county. If like me you live in a small town then that's pretty much as good as giving someone my address. Lovehoney does the same which is why I was hiring a PO box. Currently I just accept vouchers. I actually prefer buying things on my own, if I have a wishlist there are things that are top of my list on want/need and then there are things that are bottom. But Amber's right that a lot of men like sending real gifts.

I have one guy that buys quite a few things from my wishlist/sends me vouchers, he sometimes mentions my location, which is actually the location of one of my po boxes. Sometimes things he says/does makes me worry he's trying to get my address/find my location, but I think he's just one of those people who sometimes says things that just don't make any sense.

AmberCutie said:
sallysweet said:
I'm too broke to have a PO box. Are there any other options? What about the gift card option? What are the stipulations behind that?

But something I've found is that people who ask you about a wishlist want to buy you a gift, not just give you digital money to spend.

I can only give money to a certain model I like, and it saddens me to no end. I know she is fine with it, but buying stuff is fun.

AmberCutie said:
sallysweet said:

It does kind of take the shine off it a little.

"I want to buy you a gift, bb"
"Okay, send me the money and I'll order what it was you wanted to buy me"
"But I want it to be a surprise, bb"
"I'll act real surprised when it comes, I promise"

BUT, in thinking about it; the whole point of buying something from a wishlist is presumably to make your favourite model(s) feel all warm and fuzzy inside, yeah? The second you start trying to convince them to let you send them a gift on your terms and not theirs, it kinda becomes more about satisfying yourself than making them feel good, which kinda defeats the purpose, ya know?

It depends if it's for something specific or not. To be honest I prefer ordering something I like with vouchers. Also as you can put vouchers together it means you can save them up and buy something bigger, or put something together with your money! If it's for something specific then if you order it straight after they send the vouchers and show them whatever it was once you get it then I guess there's still the element of having a present!

mynameisbob84 said:
The whole point of buying something from a wishlist is presumably to make your favourite model(s) feel all warm and fuzzy inside, yeah? The second you start trying to convince them to let you send them a gift on your terms and not theirs, it kinda becomes more about satisfying yourself than making them feel good, which kinda defeats the purpose, ya know?

THANK YOU. THAT is the point I'm always trying to make in these Amazon wish list discussions. If it's all about making me happy, then why not send me the Amazon e-gift card that I really want? If you post a frowny face emote just because I don't have a wish list and prefer gift cards instead, and you refuse to send me the gift card, then clearly it ISN'T all about making me happy.

The_Brown_Fox said:
mynameisbob84 said:
The whole point of buying something from a wishlist is presumably to make your favourite model(s) feel all warm and fuzzy inside, yeah? The second you start trying to convince them to let you send them a gift on your terms and not theirs, it kinda becomes more about satisfying yourself than making them feel good, which kinda defeats the purpose, ya know?

THANK YOU. THAT is the point I'm always trying to make in these Amazon wish list discussions. If it's all about making me happy, then why not send me the Amazon e-gift card that I really want? If you post a frowny face emote just because I don't have a wish list and prefer gift cards instead, and you refuse to send me the gift card, then clearly it ISN'T all about making me happy.

well what you prefer. give one of your best friends a cute present or a boring gift card ;)

Wendsor said:
The_Brown_Fox said:
mynameisbob84 said:

well what you prefer. give one of your best friends a cute present or a boring gift card ;)
The gift card is not boring to the recipient. With it, they can buy all kinds of cute stuff.

Reactions: 1 person
Wendsor said:

You're kind of missing the point, sir. In the real world, if I wanna buy something for a close friend, obviously a gift card isn't gonna make for the best gift. But in the real world, my friend doesn't need to worry about me uncovering information they'd rather keep private by buying them said gift.
A lot of models prefer not to have wishlists because they reveal to anyone who buys them a gift where they live and their real name. It's cool that members wanna buy their favourite models gifts and all, but they can't reasonably expect them to give up information they don't want to, to let that happen. The gift card is a decent compromise - the member gets to buy the model a gift and not make the model feel uncomfortable in the process. :twocents-02cents:

Wendsor said:

Sure, I'll take the "boring" gift card then. :thumbleft: That way I can pick out what I want WHEN I want to (no pressure for me to add a bunch of items to a wish list), and I don't have to worry about Amazon slipping up and giving someone my real address. From what I've read in the past, it could be as simple as the buyer emailing Amazon and saying "Yooooo!!!!! I bought this girl a gift, and she still hasn't gotten it. C'mon, son!!! What's da deal???" And then voila! Amazon e-mails the guy back to tell him "Well we did ship the item to 12345 Yellow Brick Road Emerald City, NY on September 23rd." :woops:

And I repeat...if you're serious about "just wanting to make the model happy," then you shouldn't complain when she says that she'd prefer a gift card. At that point, if you're sitting there arguing with her about HER preferences, it's no longer about what SHE wants, my friend. If you have something against sending a model a "boring" gift card, then don't feed her some BS about "just wanting to make her happy." Clearly, her happiness isn't what you're after if you're spending 2 minutes complaining "Why don't you have a wish list? I want to buy you a gift!"

And honestly, the more a guy tries to argue with a model about it (arguing with a model about what SHE would like...that's pretty funny), the more I start to wonder if his REAL intention is just to get the model's shipping address info.

JickyJuly said:
That happened to me once. The model had something on her wishlist that offered send as gift so i could send it without knowing her address. I didn't tell her i was getting it so it would be a surprised and i also didn't put my name to it. About a week later once it had been delivered, she pm'd me and thanked me for the item. Turns out it had my name on it from billing, so much for anonymous lol.

AmberCutie said:

As someone who has bought from a wishlist and e-gift cards, it is nicer to actually get the gift for them but to me, as long as the model gets what she wanted, it makes her happy which makes me happy.

One thing that models may want to considered if you go the e-gift card option is shipping. Are you ok to cover shipping or should they include that in the e-gift card price too? Some people simply might not check how much as item costs with shipping and just send you the item amount. Might not be a big issue, and not an issue if it's free shipping but i've always added the cost of shipping to the card.

Status
Not open for further replies.