AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

An open letter to mfc's owner regarding CISPA

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no known way of reaching out to the owner of myfreecams.com, so instead I am composing this 'open letter' to the owner of myfreecams.com and presenting it here on why a splash page with a link to a petition to stop CISPA should be included on myfreecams.com before one first visits the site's homepage ... If you are reading this and know this mysterious person who pays the bills for the MFC servers, please see that he somehow sees this suggestion presented here which is aimed at combatting said proposed legislation.

To whom it may concern (at the head office of myfreecams.com),

I realize that nobody likes having to hear about these things, let alone have to deal with them. Nobody hates that we have to deal with this nonsense all over again more than me, but I love the internet. I love it just the way it is. It does not need to be altered, legislated or fucked with. Therefore, it is vastly important that we do everything we can possibly do to preserve it just the way it is.

The internet is the final frontier in terms of innovation. And its literally limitless. Just look at the business model, software synthesis and user interface innovations involved in the launch of myfreecams to begin with. Legislation like CISPA is the beginning of something horrible - the beginning of the end of all that is possible on the internet, including the ability to make money at a profitable rate. If you look up CISPA on the wikipedia, it doesn't sound like the worst thing. But make no mistake, this is not good, or even necessary, legislation.

And I'm not sure what intellectual property rights issues may or may not be involved with the new CISPA bill - but it could possibly make playing music during web shows illegal, and hold myfreecams.com accountable.

What's worse, is that what legislating CISPA does is set a precedent. Anyone who knows how a nation of laws operates knows that precedent is of utmost importance. CISPA allows for bills like SOPA to be brought back as well - by precedent alone. SOPA is the bill which virtually kills the internet in one sweeping apocalyptic act.

CISPA would likely be more of a slow death. But a death nonetheless.

Bills like SOPA, PIPA and CISPA should be of vital concern for a privately owned free market enterprise sites made up of independent contractors such as myfreecams.com. With big brother constantly watching, armed now with the legal right to use anything and everything that may happen during a web show if CISPA passes, many many many would-be customers would likely pass on purchasing tokens to tip their favorite models - preferring not to be associated with the site for fear that such an association may put them in compromising situations with security and anonymity impossible to guarantee. Myfreecams would most likely be subject to legal writs ordering it to divulge customers confidential information when and if called upon to do so. Customers payment info would possibly and very likely subject to government data bases and as a result, more easily mined by identity thieves and hackers - because as we should all know by now, the government is very much behind the ball in terms of internet security. But also, New prospective models who would have otherwise joined the site will shy away ... in effect, it means the slow static death of myfreecams.com as web traffic will decrease, revenue slow down and models simply ceasing to log on before long.

Therefore, I propose that the owner of the website myfreecams.com include a splash page aimed at stopping CISPA from ever passing into law on the myfreecams' homepage when one first visits the site. Make the models and more importantly the website's vast and diverse audience aware of what's at stake while making it as easy as possible for members to send a note of petition to his or her representatives in Congress. This of course could be done by briefly explaining what CISPA is, why it's bad for the internet and include a link to a petition aimed at stomping CISPA out at the source.

I recommend: http://act.demandprogress.org/letter/cispa/

But there are others available. It costs no money - not even the amount of a postage stamp. All one need do is include ones name, e-mail, address and zip or postal code with the pre-written note of petition that is then sent to the e-mail of that users area lawmakers in office. The whole process would take 10-20 seconds. Maybe longer if one wishes to make the body of the note more personalized.

These fascist forms of internet legislation were stopped in the past via petition, and they must be stopped again.

I know the tone of this 'open letter' may seem overly dramatic. But I am not stretching the truth of the matter in any way. CISPA must be stopped. I hope in some way shape or form this message reaches you and that you'll join in the fight spear-headed by reddit and other sites who recognize the importance of a free, open and safe internet for innovation as it is presently exists.

This is another bad piece of legislation that will end up severely restricting internet freedom. It could do great damage to sites like MFC.

MFC would just add to the rules that models need to make sure they aren't breaking said law. Then, when a model agrees to the contract, the blame shifts to her if she plays music. Won't affect MFC. Likely won't affect models agreeing to carry the backlash if they choose to ignore the law.

I wouldn't worry about this too much to be honest, it will never pass through congress/parliament, it's too controversial. If anything, promoting it on a website that has hundreds of thousands of hits a day, could have a negative effect and bring it out to the surface for discussion.

No one can harness the internet 100%, there are too many workarounds, governments are trying to do parents jobs for them, and it's not going to work. Parents need better educating about filters, and general IT knowledge, put the money there, not into something unrealistic like CISPA.

Reactions: LadyLuna
I don't see it as unrealistic. Not when you have the hyped up "Internet Bullying", or Prop 35, being sold to the public through media propaganda on a daily basis. And not when other other countries are able to successfully censor and regulate the net. Look at China and their "Great Fire Wall" for Christ's sake. You know, it's the populations that always say "oh that will never happen here" that tyranny always swoops in like a thief in the night on. The very fact alone that our gov is trying to pass such legislation should infuriate every single one of us. Make them afraid to try to sneak some shit like that past us again, for fear of how pissed off it made us the first time. Some times u have to draw a line in the sand and stand ur ground. because they will never stop pushing boundaries, and seeing how much more they can get away with.

OK ok, their goes that wacky conspiracy nut again... I know, I know... :p

Its already illegal to play music without a license on a site like myfreecams.com. CISPA is about enforcement of the copyright laws.

Read a little bit of the Wiki, I'm not American.... so does this mean it wouldn't effect me at all? I only read the first bit and I have to say to a point I do think the internet should be monitored and things that happen on the net should be taken seriously. Not really sure if this is what this is about though, but I've seen so many cases of really nasty stalking with girls on here where no one is taking it remotely seriously. I love the internet, but there are some really horrible things on it and some genuinely horrible people. What would all these laws be?

Take a look at this video, and tell me... is there anyone here who wants their country to end up with internet censorship like this?

Reactions: Nordling
Poker_Babe said:
The very fact alone that our gov is trying to pass such legislation should infuriate every single one of us. Make them afraid to try to sneak some shit like that past us again, for fear of how pissed off it made us the first time.
That right there is the trick I reckon. It's cheaper and less work for the industry to keep throwing money at legislatures through lobbyists than to actually change their outdated practices so that's what they'll continue to do. It's only one issue, but it is such an important one I wish we could make it clear to our lawmakers that anyone introducing or supporting these bullshit bills isn't going to keep their office.

3tlexh.jpg

AdmnMatt said:
I wouldn't worry about this too much to be honest, it will never pass through congress/parliament, it's too controversial. If anything, promoting it on a website that has hundreds of thousands of hits a day, could have a negative effect and bring it out to the surface for discussion.

No one can harness the internet 100%, there are too many workarounds, governments are trying to do parents jobs for them, and it's not going to work. Parents need better educating about filters, and general IT knowledge, put the money there, not into something unrealistic like CISPA.

I would worry. The moment you stop worrying is when they pass it because they think no one cares. And to tell you the truth there have been MANY stupid bills like this already passed. Even if this gets shot down they'll just wait till the next time the bill to approve their pay raise comes up, or the bill to approve highway spending (any bill that is absolutely needed to pass). Some of the congressman or senators will hold out till the last minute not agreeing to vote yes. Then as a very late compromise they'll bury this bill in with that one on page 783 and approve it when no one even knows it's in there. Truth is you probably won't even have time to raise a petition the next time if it doesn't go through now.

This is how controversial laws are really put into legislation all the time in this country. Disagree? Tell that to the people of New York.
http://reason.com/blog/2013/01/15/new-yorks-gun-controls-make-the-patriot
Another example
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/dec/14/george-bush-midnight-regulations
Several on this page
http://www.mercedsunstar.com/2012/09/04/2516066/last-minute-laws-often-lousy-ones.html
Start searching for stupid last minute laws, you'll have weeks of reading on your hands.

Poker_Babe said:
Not when you have the hyped up "Internet Bullying", or Prop 35, being sold to the public through media propaganda on a daily basis.

OK ok, their goes that wacky conspiracy nut again... I know, I know... :p

No no, you're completely right, maybe it's a different situation in the US, but here in Oz, any crazy stuff like that just gets put aside, because if a party decides to do something stupid that a good matter of the public will be against when it comes to voting come, forget pushing it.

They can propose all they like, and yes the whole 'lets solve internet bullying' with internet monitoring for uneducated parents is a threat I know. :roll:

Isabella_deL said:
Read a little bit of the Wiki, I'm not American.... so does this mean it wouldn't effect me at all?

Neither am I, but if it was put through in the US, it would create a ripple effect and push other governments to follow suit, so in turn, it effects everyone.

Isabella_deL said:
I only read the first bit and I have to say to a point I do think the internet should be monitored and things that happen on the net should be taken seriously.

Why do you think it should be monitored?! That would cause so much restriction to freedom of speech, knowing that every word you post online was subject to law abiding and had the potential of being used against you. Not to mention it would put fear in people who wanted to express their views, so they wouldn't bother posting.

Isabella_deL said:
I love the internet, but there are some really horrible things on it and some genuinely horrible people.

I agree 100%, but I think we have the ability to bring trolls to justice, without placing a watchdog on the internet. Only recently, twitter took a stand and followed up some nasty comments and contacted the peoples local authorities to deal with it.

Poker_Babe said:
Take a look at this video, and tell me... is there anyone here who wants their country to end up with internet censorship like this?

The chinese/korean governments do this kind of thing, to create a population thats shut off from global influence, to prevent them from standing up for whats right, rather follow what they're told to do. It's disgusting I know, but it prevents riots/attempts to overthrow government, like we see in many other countries worldwide.

I hope we never have to live in a world where each country does this type of thing, it will defeat the purpose of the internet and the information highway. I'm sure a few geeky asian students have found bypasses around it, but for the majority of the population, sites such as google/youtube will never be the same.

Mirra said:
but it is such an important one I wish we could make it clear to our lawmakers that anyone introducing or supporting these bullshit bills isn't going to keep their office.

3tlexh.jpg

This is why it won't pass in the US/Oz, no government would stay in power, and the new candidate would push to have it removed.

JerryBoBerry said:
I would worry. Then as a very late compromise they'll bury this bill in with that one on page 783 and approve it when no one even knows it's in there. Truth is you probably won't even have time to raise a petition the next time if it doesn't go through now.

Start searching for stupid last minute laws, you'll have weeks of reading on your hands.

Someones done their research, what a slimey thing for politicians to do, to pass bills without public support/notification.. Surely there'd be laws against that! Then loopholes to follow I guess.. I don't follow politics much myself, puts me to sleep. I'm sure the processes/procedures are different between countries too, in Oz, I've never heard of anything being passed without public notification. (So people can protest)

Isabella_deL said:
Read a little bit of the Wiki, I'm not American.... so does this mean it wouldn't effect me at all? I only read the first bit and I have to say to a point I do think the internet should be monitored and things that happen on the net should be taken seriously. Not really sure if this is what this is about though, but I've seen so many cases of really nasty stalking with girls on here where no one is taking it remotely seriously. I love the internet, but there are some really horrible things on it and some genuinely horrible people. What would all these laws be?

Unfortunately this does effect you, just not directly at the moment. There have been similar laws proposed in the U.K. and Eurozone. It seems controversial laws like this, and music recording industry related (hell, Disney too for that matter), keep being brought up to strip away, not only what people can do on the internet, but also privacy related matters. When one gets shot down here they propose it in other countries. Then they rework it and repropose it. They're trying to get a foothold in some country then use that precedent to hold further leverage in other countries to try and get it passed again.

The problem with this has nothing to do with security. It's the way the bill is written and how it basically will strip your rights to all privacy, not only on the internet but virtually everything you do. Right now governments are required (i'm laughing as I type this) to have search warrants to mandate companies to turn over private information they have collected about a person. And believe me every phone call, credit card purchase, web site you visit, pretty much everything you do is in a database somewhere. Currently the only real thing stopping companies from just handing out this information is they agreed to respect your privacy when you agreed to do business with them. If they should fail this it opens them up to lawsuits.

What this allows for is a government (read that as any public official, police, FBI, Senator, other businesses... the list is endless as your imagination) to simply say they have a perceived threat and they need the information about someone. The company now can turn it over to them without a warrant and without any fear of being sued. The wording in the law exempts them from lawsuits in the case of reasonable cause for security. They've been told by a government agency you are a threat so they can turn it over with no warrant. Basically it throws out the entire due cause requirements for obtaining warrants on citizens.

And think of the BIG picture here. This is not just credit cards. This includes every google search you've ever done, tweets, text messages, phone calls, everything you buy at the grocery store, right down to every book you ever bought or checked out of a library. ALL that information is no longer private with this bill. Anything you do can now come under scrutiny by far too many people.

Would you want that passed?

Here's a few examples of what I'm talking about to give you a frightening idea how much information about people is truly being stored and could be opened up to scrutiny.

IDC Estimates that by 2020,business transactions on the internet- business-to-business and business-to-consumer – will reach 450 billion per day.

Facebook stores, accesses, and analyzes 30+ Petabytes of user generated data.

Akamai analyzes 75 million events per day to better target advertisements.

Walmart handles more than 1 million customer transactions every hour, which is imported into databases estimated to contain more than 2.5 petabytes of data.

More than 5 billion people are calling, texting, tweeting and browsing on mobile phones worldwide.

In 2008, Google was processing 20,000 terabytes of data (20 petabytes) a day.

The largest AT&T database boasts titles including the largest volume of data in one unique database (312 terabytes) and the second largest number of rows in a unique database (1.9 trillion), which comprises AT&T’s extensive calling records.

YouTube users upload 48 hours of new video every minute of the day.

571 new websites are created every minute of the day.

100 terabytes of data uploaded daily to Facebook.

According to Twitter’s own research in early 2012, it sees roughly 175 million tweets every day, and has more than 465 million accounts.

[Source:] http://wikibon.org/blog/big-data-statistics/

Status
Not open for further replies.