AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Any experience with using a tablet for camming?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 24, 2011
Hi!

I posted this over in Ask-A-Model, but thought I might have more luck here -

After a summer of guests and travelling, I'm finally going to get to start camming (this upcoming Monday, to be exact :) )! I'm also finally getting a tablet, and am leaning towards the iPad 2. Since I'll probably be wanting to do everything I can with it once I have it in my hands, I was wondering if it's possible to cam via tabs, and the pros/cons of doing so.

Also, before I bite the bullet and sign my life to Apple, is anyone NOT a fan of the iPad 2?

Thanks!

xoxo,
Gabby

My guess is that you haven't received any replies, because no on these forums has ever cammed with a tablet, or seriously considered it. I can't think of a good reason to prefer a tablet over a laptop or desktop for camming. Based on what I've seen of tablets and camming, it sounds like something one would only do on a dare. You are new to camming, and you have never used a tablet. My advice would be to figure out one or the other first and then decide on whether trying to cam with an iPad would be a good idea.

Even if an iPad browser could handle the MFC model page, which is not certain, the cam on a laptop would jiggle whenever you had to type anything, which would make members seasick after a while, and you will need to interact with the tablet, even if you mostly speak, if only to reply to PMs, ban people, open cams, accept groups and privates. And the display would be too small to read chat unless you were a short distance away from it, greatly reducing your ability to respond to members and/or do an interesting show that includes moving or showing much more than your face and shoulders. You also would have little space on your screen for stuff like member cams, etc.

If you are thinking of working on MFC, I would think of giving yourself the best chance to succeed you can afford as far as equipment goes before getting adventurous, unless, of course, you aren't planning on making money. On a budget that would currently mean a a basic Windows desktop or laptop with, preferably, a dedicated graphics card, as the browser software is still under testing, a large display, and a Logitech 9000 or C910 webcam.

From what I have seen of the I-Pad the thought of someone attempting to cam with it for anything other than facetime on a person to person communication would not be wise. For the same price you can get a laptop that will handle more than the I-Pad can and have more than just a simple web browser and e-mail system.

The I-Pad at it's base model only has 16 GB of TOTAL storage, and the top one is only 64 GB and the only cam that you can use is the built in one because there are no ports to add on ANYTHING.

Since MFC is based on Flash Video, using an Ipad with its lousy Flash support would be waste of time.

I can't see any point in models using Tablets other than for doing an outdoor show and some only support Bluetooth and Wifi. So that won't take you far!

I have one of these

http://us.toshiba.com/tablets/thrive/10-inch/

I might be able to do some testing with it.

Thanks for all the advice! I'd thought that there would be a way to hook in an external cam/mic system into an iPad, but not without those handy usb ports. I'm looking into other makes too but hadn't heard much about the Thrive until your post, Nzhere. It looks really nice - has usb ports, supports flash, more RAM - and is cheaper than an iPad. I'm also considering Samsung's Galaxy tab.

Because of your advice, I'll be sticking with my laptop when I first start out, but might experiment with a tablet later on. I'd LOVE to get a 3G device and do some shows out in the woods!

Glad nz pointed out the flash issues (potential).

I'd also add something that seems obvious - unless you've tried it and found the experience different :D
This is based on how people use their tablets at present. You want to type to reply, or only speak? You want to see what people are saying whilst you're doing something?

To do that with an iPad you'll need to either always hold the fucking thing in your hand, so you can see and type with the other hand - or prop it against something in order to see and type. Or plug in a keyboard to type upon, and prop up the tablet to see. And then find somewhere to put the cam...

Then you're running a worse CPU than you'd have with a laptop, potentially making issues with the cam (dunno about this point!).

There may be a darned good reason models don't use tablets...

GreatDane said:
they DO have a Bluetooth keyboard for the I-Pad for around $90 and it holds the tablet upright. Like was said already tho, the flash issue is a big problem.

So it's like a laptop then... :lol:

Seen a few chicks I think might have taken some pills if that's what you mean by tablet :shifty:

I just received an Ipad in hopes that I can use it during travel ie Exxxotica NJ. Lugging around my toshiba is HEAVY!
Any idea how I can download the model software to the pad so I don't have to use the model broadcaster? I don't have any experience with the broadcaster, but if that is my only option then ...o..k..
I already have a bluetooth keyboard for the unit to prop on, and heard the built in cam was AWESOME.
All info would be great, heading there next week!!

xoxo
Savie

I do not think MFC has software for the iPad you have to use the browser version.

mfc software only works w/ windows. That means no ios (apple opperating system), no windows ce (the system on those mini "netbooks" that aren't anything more than a pda in the shape of a mini laptop), and no android (what most tablets that don't run apple software or windows CE run).

I found 2 combinations which fully work with mfc, including login and pm, tipping. I did not test pvt, grp nor member webcam. For a good experience umts/hsdpa is needed. on a 3G or EDGE connection mfc will be dead slow or even timeouts occur.

And the winners are:

Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 with Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread and the free Ninesky Browser.

Acer Iconia Tab A100 with Android 3.2 Honeycomb and Dolphin Browser.

I also tested Opera Mobile, Google Stock Browser, Miren Browser, Maxthon Browser, Firefox etc. but all of them had various problems with mfc.

So finally we can enjoy MFC on the go ....

GabrielleXXO said:
Thanks for all the advice! I'd thought that there would be a way to hook in an external cam/mic system into an iPad, but not without those handy usb ports. I'm looking into other makes too but hadn't heard much about the Thrive until your post, Nzhere. It looks really nice - has usb ports, supports flash, more RAM - and is cheaper than an iPad. I'm also considering Samsung's Galaxy tab.

Because of your advice, I'll be sticking with my laptop when I first start out, but might experiment with a tablet later on. I'd LOVE to get a 3G device and do some shows out in the woods!

I was thinking that the MFC model software was not browser based but an Windows Executable? How would you wanna install that on an Ipad or Android device? That leaves you with Window tablets. Acer got some Window models. I have an Acer Iconia Tab A100 which is Android 3.2 Honeycomb and I love it. Dont know about window models. Windows 7 is not famous for its touchscreen support but soon Windows 8 will be released which is expected to nicely support touchscreens.

mica2022 said:
GabrielleXXO said:

I was thinking that the MFC model software was not browser based but an Windows Executable? How would you wanna install that on an Ipad or Android device? That leaves you with Window tablets. Acer got some Window models. I have an Acer Iconia Tab A100 which is Android 3.2 Honeycomb and I love it. Dont know about window models. Windows 7 is not famous for its touchscreen support but soon Windows 8 will be released which is expected to nicely support touchscreens.
Models can broadcast from a browser now (there is a whole thread on it somewhere around here) but I think there are many other hurdles to get around to successfully use a tablet, especially an iPad with no flash support, to actually run their MFC chatroom as normal.

Reactions: Charlotte_UK
Adobe announced yesterday that they won't be going forward with Flash for mobile devices after 11.1. They will start to focus more on HTML5 for mobile, and I expect that MFC will eventually abandon Flash in favour of HTML5 before long as well, if they want to be relevant in a world where mobile devices are becoming more common for media consumption.

In the mean time, I don't see mobile devices, especially given the current bandwidth limitations of WiFi, as being viable for camming for the next year or two.

Reactions: caireen
Status
Not open for further replies.