AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Appropriate questions for getting to know your viewers

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

missholly

Cam Model
Nov 9, 2017
MFC Username
Holly_Lynn
I searched this topic and only found one thread that wasn't able to have replies any more so I am hoping this question is okay here. I would love feedback from members or models. While you are getting to know each other what are appropriate questions to ask? like would you ask Bigcocks111 what his real name is? lol Hypothetical name but you get the point. Is it okay to ask where they are from? Or is this crossing the line? also What are some conversation starters and ice breakers you enjoy?

Thank you in advance for your amazing answers!!

Sometimes I find it easier to let members take the lead with certain topics of conversations and then ask follow up questions based on what they've said. Mainly when it comes to talking about more personal topics. For example, if they say they've had a busy day at work, I might ask what they do for a living. Or if they comment on the weather, or that it's getting late in the night for them, then I might ask what part of the world they are in. I haven't had any experience of a member being upset by this. A member may comment on enjoying the current song I'm playing, and I might ask who their favourite artist, or what their favourite genre of music is. Other good random topics of conversation are food, travel, favourite TV shows and movies . Also pets, and if you have a pet, maybe sharing a funny story about something quirky they do! Talking about a recent book you have read, or recipe you tried out, if you are into cooking, could be other good ways to break the ice. As @Phoenix4987 said try to keep it natural, and talk about things you are also generally interested in or passionate about :)

I usually imagine that all members that come into my room are my house guests. Might sound weird, but it really gives me a boos of confidence and i put my social skills to use. I try to think from their point of view, how i'd like to be greeted in a room for example. So i greet them politely, ask them how they are, and all sorts of hosting "tehniques" lol, if that makes sense. It's all about making them feel welcomed, and as soon as they start to feel comfortable in your room they treat you with the same respect as i treat them That's how it works for me anyway.

Should I ask what their name is if we chat often? or just go by the user name until they come out and tell me their name?

I suggest you just go with the flow of the conversation with your followers. Let them dictate how much information and when. just like talking to someone face to face.

I suggest you just go with the flow of the conversation with your followers. Let them dictate how much information and when. just like talking to someone face to face.

Should I ask what their name is if we chat often? or just go by the user name until they come out and tell me their name?

If you chat often, sometimes it might come up in a PM discussion. Most times, I don't mind if a model says my first name. The only time is when there's a lot of discussions happening simultaneously and I might not know if she's asking me or someone else.

As others have said, just be real and engaging. Most people will generally carry on a conversation. I know I enjoy it as it lets us get to know one another and help let the room flow well.

Usually I've seen models use their screen name or even shorten it to a nickname.
Even though my screen name is DILLIGAF, I'm usually referred to as "Dilli-bar" or "Dilli" for example.
If they volunteer their real name or ask you to call them by that them it's fine.
Many members don't want their real names used anymore than models do.

Usually I've seen models use their screen name or even shorten it to a nickname.
Even though my screen name is DILLIGAF, I'm usually referred to as "Dilli-bar" or "Dilli" for example.
If they volunteer their real name or ask you to call them by that them it's fine.
Many members don't want their real names used anymore than models do.

Perfect!! That is basically what I needed to know! You rock! Thank you.

As for ice-breakers...

A simple "how are you?" or "how's your day going?" goes a long way. I very often will reply to shy/more laconic responses by sharing a story of *mine*, something that relates to what little they said. This helps make them feel safe with you, more comfortable, intimate, etc. It also demonstrates a more sincere interest, which is what ultimately develops regular fans (in my experience, anyway).

Hope this helps!

Reactions: missholly
I cut a hard boundary at personal information regarding age, location, occupation, et cetera. Anything that can lead to identifying an individual should be off-limits or otherwise up to the discretion of that individual. This goes both ways, for models AND fans/viewers.

As for getting to know your fans...I find that SO many guys (my audience is predominantly gay men) simply want a sex-positive, judgement-free environment. I usually express genuine interest in the things they like on-cam e.g. 'That's an interesting fetish/request. Mind sharing a bit about it?" This demonstrates that you are not only open-minded and receptive to their unique interests, but helps you understand how to better cater to their particular interest(s). This goes a LONG way.

I have found that developing an *understanding* of your fans is exponentially more worthwhile than ultimately irrelevant information i.e. where they are from, what they do for a living. Most guys go to cam-sites living out a fantasy/virtual life to begin with. Psychologically, they partition their online persona from their IRL one. Attend to the former, not the latter.

Personal information will be shared with you if they want you to know. If you need to elicit it, they probably prefer keeping it to themselves.

As for ice-breakers...

A simple "how are you?" or "how's your day going?" goes a long way. I very often will reply to shy/more laconic responses by sharing a story of *mine*, something that relates to what little they said. This helps make them feel safe with you, more comfortable, intimate, etc. It also demonstrates a more sincere interest, which is what ultimately develops regular fans (in my experience, anyway).

Hope this helps!

This is great advice! I've been wondering the same thing myself.

Two months later... unsolicited advice with a lame-ass attempt at self-promotion:

Then newb NinaM, who joined 2 day says... "This is great advice! I've been wondering the same thing myself."

Seriously?

I'm sorry but I don't really see the point in your post... one of The main reasons I asked was to know if I should ask members their names.. he answered that.. sooo? I could reply to your comment with 3 months later with no actual advice.... lol

Reactions: ExcellaExe
Honestly you'll find it's different for everyone. I've found that South American broadcasters tend to be a lot more personal, will ask your name, occupation or whatever feels right at the time.
Just let it flow naturally, you obviously don't want it to be a one sided interrogation. Have your own limits, think of it from their side, would you answer your own questions?

I searched this topic and only found one thread that wasn't able to have replies any more so I am hoping this question is okay here. I would love feedback from members or models. While you are getting to know each other what are appropriate questions to ask? like would you ask Bigcocks111 what his real name is? lol Hypothetical name but you get the point. Is it okay to ask where they are from? Or is this crossing the line? also What are some conversation starters and ice breakers you enjoy?

My pet peeve is models that ask hypocritical questions. Understanding the member also has a right to privacy is very important. First don't ask what their name is. Instead ask what they like to be called. This can often be the person real name anyways. Members that want to offer you information will do it without prompting.

Ask what they're looking for from you is a great question. This both lets you understand what tags or themes you represent for members and what better niche you fall into if you don't really know yet.

So some members may not care about you at all. They want what they came for and will leave after. Will it's great to build community be understanding when people don't care to join it and are there just for business with you. Maybe over time they will be more social but don't make it such a requirement to know you before any business can take place. Your personality shouldn't be a hurdle to making money.

Good ice breaker question would be asking lunch/dinner questions or asking celebrities they like or think are hot. Driving stories and pretty good too since money people might have a good or bad story to share back.

No, I wouldn't ask 'Bigcocks111' what his real name is. I do understand, though, that models who do those "Highest tipper gets their name moaned" shows want to know what to call the guy then. But other than that, I wouldn't ask a member for his real name. If he wishes to volunteer his name, fine. But I also don't want him getting offended if I keep forgetting his name. Lol. I've had members get annoyed with me and say "I told you before to call me ___." Um...look here, dude...if you visit me on cam only twice a year, I'm not gonna remember your damn real name, so chill. :p

The only time I'd see myself asking where they live is if, for example, I'm talking about how it's 20 degrees here, and they say something like "Well, it's sunny and 80 degrees here!" I might say "Damn, you're so lucky! Where are YOU???"

I like to talk about the most random things, but my favorite topics seem to be food, T.V. shows, and movies.

A friend of mine said that nothing divides people more than POLITICS and RELIGION. No one discusses religion in my chat, thankfully, and as far as politics...other than that fuckwad who came in my room just to post "TRUMP 2016!" I haven't had too many people bring up those topics. So YAY! Lol.

Current events can be okay to discuss, so long as it doesn't get too political. Learning to walk a fine line is difficult.

One of the top models on MFC has a great attitude with things such as that. She's very open minded, and will listen to what a person has to say. But, if it makes no sense, or they're just spewing crap, she calls them out.

personally...
I don't greet my members coming into the room. If they decide to stay past 1 minute then I'll say some form of comment to start a conversation. But I don't force member to reply back. I'm very talkative. Just say hi, and I'll go off on random subjects now that I know they are willing to hold a conversation. Take pressure off of me for saying "hello _{insert member name here}_" everytime someone comes in.

I talk about the weather, where I moved from, coffee...beer.... i dunno a whole bunch of stuff. If there's no one to talk to then I'm singing lol.

Ask me. Its your job to close the emotional gap, to draw me in closer so that I feel a connection with you and want to come back to you instead of the thousand other hungry models out there.

Use a Foley File / notes feature to track the little details users give out. One model I see does this amazingly well, she appears to seamlessly remember little details about things, down to the hotel I was in at such-and-such city, so when I was there again, she asked "Are you at the ++++ again?"

• Helpful!
Status
Not open for further replies.