AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Car basically falling apart, still owe 6k.. Help :/

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 12, 2011
I've been paying on my Altima for over a year now, I still owe 6k on it. I took it to the shop today, and found out it needs $2,000+ worth of work done on it.. It's falling apart :/ anything an everything that can go wrong, IS going wrong...

I want to trade it in, or something.. I've had nothing but trouble since I've gotten it.

Will a dealership take it if it has so much wrong with it?
I know the 6k will be added to the loan of the new car, but will what I pay just go away? more than likely..
Anywaay. I'm freaking. Someone help. :crybaby:

They'll take it but they will reduce what it's worth by approximately what it will cost to repair it at their cost. Let's say for shiggles that they decide it is worth $4000 and it will cost them $2000 to fix it. They'll give you $2000 for it. Less the $6000 you owe still and they'll add $4000 on to what's financed for a new vehicle.

Reactions: BBW_SammiSins
wow, that sux. Id say 2 things.. never buy from that same dealer or person again and 2... if you know nothing about cars other than "that's pretty, I want it", ALWAYS have it checked out by a trustworthy independent mechanic. They would have spotted the majority of problems that would have popped up inside this years time. Also, if you buy used, do a bit of research on aftermarket warranties. They can cover most major things that can go wrong fro a pretty reasonable fee. Beware tho, read the fine print to make sure its not worthless. Good luck.

What is actually wrong with it.... some routine wear parts that always need replaced after a while cost an arm and a leg in some cars.

1261376664507.jpg

SoTxBob said:
wow, that sux. Id say 2 things.. never buy from that same dealer or person again and 2... if you know nothing about cars other than "that's pretty, I want it", ALWAYS have it checked out by a trustworthy independent mechanic. They would have spotted the majority of problems that would have popped up inside this years time. Also, if you buy used, do a bit of research on aftermarket warranties. They can cover most major things that can go wrong fro a pretty reasonable fee. Beware tho, read the fine print to make sure its not worthless. Good luck.

Not trying to hijack this thread, but I do not think this advice is totally relevant today (compared to 10 or so years ago). Yes, any good mechanic could spot potential "wear" problems/issues, but since today's vehicles have so many electronic/computer controls it is next to impossible to predict a future failure. And an "indie" shop would be hard pressed to do this as most will not have the diag equipment (and S/W updates) necessary to do so. Code readers are available at auto parts stores and indie shops have better ones, but compared to what the dealership has, they are pretty generic. Usually without exception, only dealerships are allowed to purchase the correct diagnostic tools/computers/software updates from the automakers. This was a big reason my older brother closed his "indie" shop.

Back on track...yes, get another estimate (or 2) before you make any decisions. If you still need that work done, it *may* be cheaper to get the car repaired, then keep it or sell it yourself. Yeah, I know that sounds like a pain in the ass, but if you buy a new car *and* have the balance from the old one tacked on to the new note, that could really put you in a hole.

Get an amortization calculator off the net and run your own numbers to get a clearer picture of what I mean :)

schlmoe said:
SoTxBob said:

Not trying to hijack this thread, but I do not think this advice is totally relevant today (compared to 10 or so years ago). Yes, any good mechanic could spot potential "wear" problems/issues, but since today's vehicles have so many electronic/computer controls it is next to impossible to predict a future failure. And an "indie" shop would be hard pressed to do this as most will not have the diag equipment (and S/W updates) necessary to do so. Code readers are available at auto parts stores and indie shops have better ones, but compared to what the dealership has, they are pretty generic. Usually without exception, only dealerships are allowed to purchase the correct diagnostic tools/computers/software updates from the automakers. This was a big reason my older brother closed his "indie" shop.

Back on track...yes, get another estimate (or 2) before you make any decisions. If you still need that work done, it *may* be cheaper to get the car repaired, then keep it or sell it yourself. Yeah, I know that sounds like a pain in the ass, but if you buy a new car *and* have the balance from the old one tacked on to the new note, that could really put you in a hole.

Get an amortization calculator off the net and run your own numbers to get a clearer picture of what I mean :)

....not talking about 'Shadetree Randy', the guy down the street that found an empty space under the big oak tree.... The vast majority of shops, at least here locally, do indeed have the right Diag equipment for almost every model they work on. It's also why some specialize on various brands. After all, it'd be a bit silly to take your Porsche to a Dodge diesel mechanic now wouldn't it? :lol: Sure, brand specific dealers are first to get updates and or factory shouts about potential issues of course. It's also why 99% of car dealers charge so much more for their repairs.

Thanks everyone. Yeah, I called around and only three dealers would work with me anyway, and NONE have a decent car..
I learned my lesson about buying cars from the certain dealership.. All my family used this dealer so I used him, and I just got effed over.

The things that are wrong are as followed.. lol

Speed sensor.
Selnoid valve assembly.
Needs two back tires.
Left hear hub assembly.
Rear brakes.
Struts.
Motor mounts.
and a LONG list of random BS thats wrong with the tires/back end that I think the guy is bullshitting me about..

If anything I'm replacing the tires ( I called my dad crying, he offered to buy them ) and the hub assembly.
Along with speed sensor and selnoid valve.. but the selnoid valve itself is $400 part :/

Well it's pretty easy to know if you have broken motor mounts. If your steering wheel starts violently vibrating when you come to a stop, that's typically indicative of broken motor mounts. It's not a HUGE deal but should be fixed. The Mazda MX-6 I had during High School had two broken motor mounts by the time we replaced the car.

my sterring wheel BARLEY moves, and its only at high speeds, he says theres SOME slack and it'd be best to get it now. lol I'll go to a damn junk yard and take em off another Altima and put em on myself >.>
But the selnoid valve assembly is where most of my money would be going..
I'm gonna take it to the Nissan dealership and see if there was a recall on it, Someone mentioned it in my room the other night that the 00-04 Altimas had a recall or something to do with the selnoid valves.
maybe I can get lucky. :?

What is actually broken about your car? What problems do you have that are affecting you driving the car.

Some mechanics will treat your car like a piggy bank. They'll find anything which is not perfect and say you need to get it fixed. The list you gave seems like the mechanic just found a lot of different things that maybe aren't working 100% but aren't actually affecting the drive-ability of the car.

NickT said:
What is actually broken about your car? What problems do you have that are affecting you driving the car.

Some mechanics will treat your car like a piggy bank. They'll find anything which is not perfect and say you need to get it fixed. The list you gave seems like the mechanic just found a lot of different things that maybe aren't working 100% but aren't actually affecting the drive-ability of the car.

That's exactly how it sounds to me too. The Nissan dealer released a TSB about hard shifting and listed those items as possible causes. Sounds like this mechanic just wants to replace everything (or said he did) on the list and charge her maximum fees instead of finding out the true cause of the problem. Keep in mind, I'm just assuming this given what little we know about it.

The only serious problem I'm having is when I'm driving low speeds, when I go from first to second [ automatic ] My RPMS go up real high, but it will not shift into 2nd gear. I pull over, turn it off, sit for a bit and turn it back on and it does fine..
This happens radomly. I'm not goin uphill/down or anything.. just random times.
And when I hit a bump or something, I hear a clanking or rattling noise like my engine is moving around.. My sterring wheel doesn't really move, but could this still be the motor mounts?
I went today and had my tires and hub assembly replaced, was only $290. My dad gave me the other $200.. I've had bad expierences with hubs and my tires.. so I went ahead and done that.
I called Nissan today and the guy never answered, going to try again tomorrow.. I looked up my paper work and we have a 24month/24000 warranty, but we've done 37000 miles already.. but I'm wondering if that recall will matter at all.

I know that since it's acutal Nissan mechanics they're probably going to charge more, but I'm wondering if they'll acutally tell me the TRUTH and fix what I acutally NEED not what they WANT.

That hard shifting you're experiencing is a relatively well known problem with Altimas but it's more common with Maximas and usually only shifts hard when it's warmed up, for now. There are other steps to try before replacing everything it could possibly be, but unless you're experienced with transmissions I'd suggest leaving that to the more experienced.

I'd suggest either going to a reputable shop(s) that specialize in transmissions and get a couple estimates or you're stuck with going to the dealer for best service. Whatever you do, make sure their work is backed up by a good written warranty.

As far as the clanking/rattling noises while going over bumps... that could be just about anything and suggest having someone who is experienced ride along or better yet let them take it for a drive with you along to places where you know the clanking will happen.

:twocents-02cents:

wow that's a ridiculous laundry-list of faults with a 37k car...I'm betting a bunch of it is BS. The *only* reason, as far as I'm concerned, to continue having a car serviced at a dealership is to maintain the warranty - which in your case has already expired.

Talk to friends and family, find out who they use and how they feel about their mechanic - I think (some) of the smaller shops take better care of you, and are more honest because it's their business and they actually value their repeat customers.

Okay, so I just got home from the Nissan dealership.
Turns out one of my motor mounts were completely broke and my speed sensor needed to be replaced..
Not that long ass list of stuff.
So $800 dollars later, my car is driving like it's brand new.

Last time I go to back ass mechanics.

Thank you guys so much. :)

Reactions: LadyLuna
Never underestimate the value of a second and third opinion.

800 beats 2K ;) so it paid off.

Status
Not open for further replies.