AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Dealing with unsupportive family

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 16, 2016
somewhere within the depths of the universe
Twitter Username
@FaunaForest
Chaturbate Username
FaunaForest
Hello, I'm new to this forum and have only been camming for a few months. I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this thread but I just feel a little bit in a rut and I know that other models may be able to help and shed some light on this. I've been on and off camming for a few months now, plan to go full time next month. But I just felt like it might've been the right thing to do for me to be honest with my mother about what I was choosing to do with my life. I got a reaction from her I wasn't expecting since I had always thought she was at least a little bit of a progressive and open minded person. But I was of course wrong. How do you deal with having family and friends that you want to love and support and have them do the same in return for you, when they don't even want you to do what simply makes you happy just because of social stigmas?

I don't know your entire situation obviously but here is my two cents!

It's not always just about social stigma (unless she said it was, but even so, haha) - family members worry about safety, your future opportunities, the long-term outcomes of what might seem fun when you're 20 but might negatively affect you when you're 40. It doesn't mean these are necessarily right, or fair, or things you can't worry about for yourself -- but I think most family members and friends do come from a place of caring about you, and in my case, it helped me to remember that. Sometimes the first reaction when a girl posts something like this is "fuck them if they don't want you to be happy" but I think it's more complicated than that. I worry about my friend who plays football, even though he loves it, and I think it's equally fair to my friends to worry about me, even if I love it. Especially because they don't necessarily understand the reasons why you love it.

But beyond that - you are an adult, and unless your family is able and willing to foot all of your bills/savings/fun money (and you want them to) - you need to take care of yourself, and you get to decide what you do. I had to simply stop talking about work and refuse to discuss it with someone who wanted me to stop. Your mom doesn't have authority over Adult-You and if this is what makes you happy, or what you need to do to get by, or what you want to do now even if you decide later you don't want to - that's your choice. Saying "I understand you don't approve, and I appreciate that you love me and worry, but this is my choice and you don't have to love it, but you do need to respect it" might not get you a super desirable response but I think standing up for your choice while also making it clear that you don't *need* her support to do it can be effective. I personally found that being super defensive didn't really help but eventually saying "this is my choice, we don't have to hash it out, I love you and I want to drop it" did for me.

Either way, big hug. It's such a crummy situation to be in. I hope things work out well :h:

Hey! Welcome to the forum! If you are an active camgirl you can get verified and join models only section.
I don't deal with anything like this cause I don't feel a need to talk about my life to anyone just to gain approval or whatever-I just don't care- lol.
I believe that love is actually wanting someone to be happy and just because someone is your family does not mean is automatically love - could be control and that is opposite. In the end if you live your life the way you want to is all that matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.