AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Do you consider a restaurant only accepting cash to be a dining deal breaker?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, same as Forceten. I've gone to plenty of places that didn't accept cards, there was a time in life where a lot of people didn't accept cards. It's annoying, but if the service is worth going to then it's worth taking that extra work.

I grew up in a small town. Tons of places were cash only and still are because they don't make enough to make the fees worth jt

Nope. It's all money at the end of the day, whether its plastic or folding notes. IMO a deal breaker for a restaurant would be down to the quality of the food, the standard of service and the general atmosphere of the establishment.

:)

Reactions: fandango
I'm cool with cash only as long as I know ahead of time. I don't want to get there and only have a debit card lol. It's helpful when businesses put it on their websites. Generally I try to find out ahead of time. There's a hole in the wall catfish place I like that is cash only and I go there a lot. Normally I never carry cash.

I hate carrying cash so the food would have to be super good to motivate me to go to an ATM. I can't remember the last time I paid cash in a restaurant or for that matter, for anything at all. I live on the outskirts of a major city though and don't travel much.

Reactions: SaffronBurke
No. I prefer to pay and tip in cash. I get nervous every time I go someplace where an employee has to swipe my debit card (because too often, they wind up swiping it 2-3 times, which I hate...ENOUGH SWIPING!).

Also, I’ve gone home before, and checked my account balance online to find that I’d been double-charged. It’s happened at least twice before when I used to use that Payoneer debit card. Then it becomes this big thing where I have to go explain and prove what happened to get reimbursed. Too much hassle.

At least with cash, the transaction is complete right then and there, and I don’t have to worry about any charges to my card.

It would depend on the cost. A fine dining place where dinner will be over $100, I'd prefer to use a card. A business dinner that I'm going to write off, I prefer to use a card so it's easy to keep track of. I wouldn't eat at a place with communal tables though.

Not a deal breaker, but sometimes extremely inconvenient. We walked into a place just a few nights ago while visiting Provincetown, MA, and if there were a sign saying "cash only", then we would have left and gone to the next place where they likely did take plastic. My fav burrito place just a few blocks away is cash only, and I know for a fact I've skipped it quite a few times as I didn't have cash on me at the time. Poor business model.

If there was an authentic Mexican restaurant within 20 minutes of me, I'd pay them in organs if required. Hehehe. Outside of that, yeah. I'd probably go elsewhere. We went to an event last week that didn't accept my card, and schlepping back to the car to hit an ATM hurt a little. If you're a restaurant, people probably aren't trying to spend less than $10 at a time. Cheap and lazy not to get a card slider.

What is cash? Don't use much of that this century.

If there was an authentic Mexican restaurant within 20 minutes of me, I'd pay them in organs if required. Hehehe. Outside of that, yeah. I'd probably go elsewhere. We went to an event last week that didn't accept my card, and schlepping back to the car to hit an ATM hurt a little. If you're a restaurant, people probably aren't trying to spend less than $10 at a time. Cheap and lazy not to get a card slider.

If you think about it though, it really isn't a bad business model. It's cash only. No credit card denials, no chargebacks, no service fees, and other things associated with accepting of cards.

I will say that if they are cash only, they should post it anywhere they advertise (online, print, website), as well as post it on their door and on their menu, place mats or signs at each booth/table so it's easy to see. Worst case scenario, put an ATM in the corner of the store and have a small service fee for it as a "Just in case" option.

If you think about it though, it really isn't a bad business model. It's cash only. No credit card denials, no chargebacks, no service fees, and other things associated with accepting of cards.

I will say that if they are cash only, they should post it anywhere they advertise (online, print, website), as well as post it on their door and on their menu, place mats or signs at each booth/table so it's easy to see. Worst case scenario, put an ATM in the corner of the store and have a small service fee for it as a "Just in case" option.
That service fee adds up when your bank charges you $2-$3 for using an ATM thats outside of their network.

Reactions: JickyJuly
That service fee adds up when your bank charges you $2-$3 for using an ATM thats outside of their network.

Yes. But, some ATM networks either don't charge, or charge minimal. If you know it's a cash-only restaurant ahead of time, you'd make sure you have cash before going.

For businesses, they can get charged up to 5% on transactions. Those fees are passed on to customers as part of the cost of doing business. If it's a place I frequent often, if I get a lower price for paying in cash, or will be lower because they don't accept CC's, I'd rather take that because those feel will add up most more than a single ATM transaction in the long run.

Reactions: SaffronBurke
this depends on where you are. In my city, loads of places are cash only so its just normal to keep cash on you. In my last city that would have been abnormal and while not a deal breaker would have been a pain in the ass.

My father in law lives in a small coastal town and has a small sandwhich and coffee shop thats cash only. Tourists sometimes dont realize when they come through and so he literally just says "send me a check in the mail".

He's never had anyone not send a check which i find hilarious and awesome.

I went to a cafe in Vegas that had a Square reader to accept cards, it was pretty neat. Probably a hell of a lot cheaper than an actual credit card reader. Also, every vendor at the local Renaissance faire has a Square so they can take cards on their phone. Same with vendors at street fairs. The device is free and the fees are minimal.

Reactions: JickyJuly
I went to a cafe in Vegas that had a Square reader to accept cards, it was pretty neat. Probably a hell of a lot cheaper than an actual credit card reader. Also, every vendor at the local Renaissance faire has a Square so they can take cards on their phone. Same with vendors at street fairs. The device is free and the fees are minimal.
Small business can minimize the impact of credit card fees by only accepting Visa and MasterCard and not taking American Express and Discover.

Small business can minimize the impact of credit card fees by only accepting Visa and MasterCard and not taking American Express and Discover.
And considering how few people even use those, it's barely worth accepting them.

Not a deal breaker for me at all. There's lots of places here that only accept cash, so I try to keep some on me at all times if I know I'm going to be eating out. If the food is worth it, why the heck not?

this depends on where you are. In my city, loads of places are cash only so its just normal to keep cash on you. In my last city that would have been abnormal and while not a deal breaker would have been a pain in the ass.

My father in law lives in a small coastal town and has a small sandwhich and coffee shop thats cash only. Tourists sometimes dont realize when they come through and so he literally just says "send me a check in the mail".

He's never had anyone not send a check which i find hilarious and awesome.
Why is it that some people get upset when they find out the restaurant they are in only takes cash? http://chicagoist.com/2016/07/05/cash_only_restaurants_should_go_ext.php

Where I live in London its normal for lots of small places to not take cards. The it's mainly the kind of takeout places where each meal is under £5 so the card fees aren't worth it. I don't think I've ever been to a proper restaurant though that doesn't take cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.