AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Does a username make any difference?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 21, 2020
Background: A model friend of mine started an additional cam page. In talking to her after her first couple streams, she said several members were criticizing her username. Some mocked it and others went so far as to advise her she wouldn’t be successful as long as that was her handle.

Here’s the thing: it’s a totally normal username. Without revealing it, the username is a very common women’s name combined with a nice, non-sexual descriptive word and a numeral. Nothing unusual, nothing overly specific to a fetish. So I was surprised any member would feel strongly enough about it (one way or the other) to mention it directly to the model, let alone criticize it.

So models, do usernames really matter in your experience?

Members, does it honestly make a difference to you what a model’s username is?

Only if it's a very bad one for me. e.g., There's one who uses "anal___squirt" (or close). Just can't get past that one. ; )

But there are better and worse. I've seem some that I really wonder why anyone would use. Things like happy_cheesecake or whatever. I suppose most of those are just random words stuck together by a studio being lazy.

Background: A model friend of mine started an additional cam page. In talking to her after her first couple streams, she said several members were criticizing her username. Some mocked it and others went so far as to advise her she wouldn’t be successful as long as that was her handle.

Here’s the thing: it’s a totally normal username. Without revealing it, the username is a very common women’s name combined with a nice, non-sexual descriptive word and a numeral. Nothing unusual, nothing overly specific to a fetish. So I was surprised any member would feel strongly enough about it (one way or the other) to mention it directly to the model, let alone criticize it.

Without knowing specifics it's hard to say in this specific case. But in general I can imagine a model's name possibly making me shake my head or facepalm or just roll my eyes. I doubt it would stop me visiting if there was something that caught my eye about her though.

If a model I knew very well, and had a friendship with, chose what I thought was a less than ideal new name I would probably discuss it with her, but would never tell her to change it or anything like that unless it was a massive faux pas.

Was she getting trolled? I've seen new rooms get targeted by bored jerks who will try to get a rise out of the model any way that they can, as when they know the model is new they know they're prone to be more sensitive and take the trolling at face value.

From what you're saying the username is perfectly normal so that's the only explanation I can think of.

Edit: Oh sorry and to answer your question, if the username is very centered on a fetish I'm not into then I might steer clear but otherwise no it doesn't affect me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smoothie
Only if it's a very bad one for me. e.g., There's one who uses "anal___squirt" (or close). Just can't get past that one. ; )
That model is in my room daily on cb... and every time I see the name I think "did she not realize the image that that puts into the mind...it's probably not what she was going for" 😂 I get the feeling the thinking for that one was "anal is popular, squirt is popular, both together is good"

That model is in my room daily on cb... and every time I see the name I think "did she not realize the image that that puts into the mind...it's probably not what she was going for" 😂 I get the feeling the thinking for that one was "anal is popular, squirt is popular, both together is good"

hahah yeah. I assume, or hope at least, she was meaning it as 2I can do ANAL, and I also SQUIRT" but you know what, who the fuck knows with some people haha

Reactions: Smoothie and Ozzie_
I have seen the opinion that using a number in your performer/username isn't the best option, and I think this line of thinking comes from the assumption that you must be choosing "ModelName2" because "ModelName" is already taken. In that situation, I think it makes a fair bit of sense, as your brand could be buried by the existing performer and that's setting yourself up to struggle when you don't need to. Maybe that's where this feedback is coming from?

Otherwise, what you are describing sounds totally fine to me. Like as a viewer I would not give a single cluck about it. And I think it's strange that anyone else would.

Yeah, I get what she was going for but kind of ended up badly. ; )

I'd think those viewers criticising her were just bored and trolling.

My friend recently changed her room name, and as a non-native English speaker, she asked for my help in making some suggestions.
I spent a bit of time going through the site [call it 'research', I'm dedicated :)] and it seemed that room name had little impact on popularity.
Certainly from my own habits, the thumbnail view is far more likely to catch my attention than the room name.
Then the ability to bookmark in the browser and/or follow the model to get online notifications means you don't really need a memorable name.

That said, I think perhaps the room name can help viewers feel comfortable (even subconsciously) by matching/reflecting the personality and appearance of the model. All part of the effect, including music, room decor, lighting, chatty vs explicit room etc. Might not be overtly obvious, but may make the difference between dropping in for short visits or hanging around for longer?

ETA: going to add though, that if a model has a strong social media presence and is widely promoting a brand, then the name probably takes on a far greater significance? Deferring to the models here!

Last edited:
Certainly from my own habits, the thumbnail view is far more likely to catch my attention than the room name.
Then the ability to bookmark in the browser and/or follow the model to get online notifications means you don't really need a memorable name.

That said, I think perhaps the room name can help viewers feel comfortable (even subconsciously) by matching/reflecting the personality and appearance of the model. All part of the effect, including music, room decor, lighting etc. Might not be overtly obvious, but may make the difference between dropping in for short visits or hanging around for longer?

Yeah, for me, I can’t really think of any instance where a model’s username influenced me one way or the other (except in the rare case where the username is a direct indicator of a fetish I don’t have… but again, there’s no chance that was the case for the model I’m talking about).

I have noticed and appreciated a really clever username on occasion, but it didn’t play any role in whether I did or didn’t visit the model. Maybe it does for some members; I don’t know.

I also thought about the number of models I follow whose usernames are somewhat difficult to exactly remember (random numbers, underscores in strange places or quantities etc). Not having a username that rolls off the tongue, so to speak, certainly didn’t prevent me from noticing or following them.

I agree that a name has not influenced me, but I do understand some names can attract certain types of users.
For example, a lot will use "slut" or similar in the name, and then that obviously attracts certain types of guys who will be rude and be calling the model slut and other names and think it's ok just because of the username she has.

Even if a name is maybe a bit harder to remember, it doesn't make me decide not to visit or like the model.
I think it is better though, if a model tries to pick a name that is easy and rememberable, or at least easy to remember.

Reactions: yummybrownfox
Kinda, I avoid girls with "coy" in their name as I know that the studio that those ladies r in owes some people I follow some money from when they worked there.

it was best to avoid names that start or end with _ or double __ on CB because of the way it was displayed as a space on the model list but at some point they must have changed it now because i clearly see all the underscores.

That is a good question - I have always wondered that too, My experience is not really? But my name is just a normal name, nothing descriptive. This doesn't happen ALL the time, but sometimes someone pm's me and asks me what my name is, which makes me think it doesn't matter too much, as they are not even paying attention.

To me, I want/need a model's name to be easy to remember. Too many underscores and numbers are not good.
I definitely have noticed as well for me, if a model has a username which includes their partner, then I am not going to go into that room, and for all I know they may never do couples shows, they may only do it once every blue moon, but as someone who doesn't like couples shows, I will avoid that kind of name.

does it honestly make a difference to you what a model’s username is?
To me, it really does not make any difference, to be honest. On the other hand, I have to say, what really confuses and surprises me is whenever I ask a model her real name, I always pretty much get the same response, like: Crystal, Rose, Peach, Summer. I even won a free show once by guessing a model's name. I was like, let me guess, your name is Violet or Paris. Am I right? And she said OMG how do you know?.

Jokes aside, no, it doesn't matter. Perhaps, your friend might find this useful, I've just looked it up on the Internet.

Just don't include a set of 3 numerals, or the people from that area code will pester the living bejesus out of you. Then you will feel like you are losing your mind, and want to sew your own eyes shut, purely to stop reading cringey meet-up requests from complete strangers everyday.

(Ok slight dramatic exaggeration there, but yeah, it got annoying - avoid sets of 3 numbers in model names).

To me, it really does not make any difference, to be honest. On the other hand, I have to say, what really confuses and surprises me is whenever I ask a model her real name, I always pretty much get the same response, like: Crystal, Rose, Peach, Summer. I even won a free show once by guessing a model's name. I was like, let me guess, your name is Violet or Paris. Am I right? And she said OMG how do you know?.

Jokes aside, no, it doesn't matter. Perhaps, your friend might find this useful, I've just looked it up on the Internet.

I have to say I never really had a need to know a model's real name, although I know the real names of a few now. I understand why they don't use their real names obviously. The ones whose real names I do know, I find even more attractive because in all cases, their real names are more beautiful than their cam names. But it's not a deal breaker. I mean, what difference does it make really. As long as they don't have a cam name that puts you off your stroke.

• Wat?!
Reactions: MarieElise
When a member does this to me, it immediately makes me red flag them as potentially problematic.
Same. Absolutely. It's extremely unsafe for sex workers to divulge their real names, and any expectation that we should do so would be extremely unfair.
Poor and unsafe boundaries imo.
That would get a report to site staff and potentially/ likely a block in my room.

I don't think models' usernames make a difference in terms of who I follow/tip or don't. That is all about the ability of the model. I was just looking at my favorites list and there are a couple of really unfortunate usernames in that group

The only one I would guard against is one that is really hard to search. One of the models I follow has her first name followed by two underscores. It won't come up in search, I have to type in the name and then sort through the models with that name in their username. That is a problem for the model in terms of potential customers having a hard time finding her

The other thing regarding names I find kind of strange is how many Latina models choose really white usernames. You have this beautiful Colombian or Venezuelan woman and her username is "Molly Jones." Obviously she shouldn't use her real name, but it seems like relatively few opt for Latin names at all

• Helpful!
Wait, isn't asking models real names bad ettiquitte?

When a member does this to me, it immediately makes me red flag them as potentially problematic.
I never ask for real names and hate being asked for mine, but I sort of assumed it's like asking if you have a boyfriend - you can ask, but you're deranged if you think you're getting a real answer.

Last edited:
you're deranged if you think you're getting a real answer.
Oh sure you can ask my real name it's; "UpUranus McGee. My parents named me after a yet undiscovered planet in our solar system which is due north of Uranus." Lololol

I have to say I never really had a need to know a model's real name,
Just to clarify, me neither. It just happened to me that I asked something like "How shall I call you?". Peach, let's go with peach. Something like that. It was just small talk. I would never ask anyone's real name.

Oops. I've caused a stir by accident so I should clarify. To be clear, I've never asked anyone's real name. They've asked my name and then subsequently introduced themselves by a different name than their performer name. The assumption being that it's a real name. Although it could be just a second alias although the reason for doing that doesn't seem clear. The only real name I know is my model friend and again because she offered it, not because I asked.

The assumption being that it's a real name. Although it could be just a second alias although the reason for doing that doesn't seem clear.
from a hustle perspective it's pretty clear why models may have a 2nd alias.

-it's a name to shut up a member who will not stop asking their real name, but the model still wants them as a client. mine's fran. my theory's to keep it consistent so if members were to ever compare notes trying to dox me, they have a consistent red hearing. members do talk amongst each other about models they frequent in other online spaces.

-the member is made to believe he is special a lucky few. there are models who emotionally manipulate the audience.

-their screen name is not like a name, and dont being like called it all the time. several models built a brand around a handle, but have their members call them by another alias.

Some models use 2 different names on their account, for example, their USERNAME may be "Alice_Super_Hot" but they go by a different name of "Ann" which is in the profile
You need to be careful (for obvious safety reasons) about sharing your real name, I have seen on multiple occasions where the model has trusted a user (usually a regular and/or big tipper) and then they have gone on to say her real name in PUBLIC chat - either by accident or by way of being a dickhead.

But even by doing it as a pure accident, it then leads to potentially many other people seeing the real name and being stalkers and finding some real info on you.

1 key thing, which I see plenty not doing is, to be consistent with name and locations. for this I mean, if you're on 5 different sites, don't have a different name on each one and a different location, I have seen this also get confusing for so many models (I assume this is usually studio models though).

from a hustle perspective it's pretty clear why models may have a 2nd alias.

-it's a name to shut up a member who will not stop asking their real name, but the model still wants them as a client. mine's fran. my theory's to keep it consistent so if members were to ever compare notes trying to dox me, they have a consistent red hearing. members do talk amongst each other about models they frequent in other online spaces.

-the member is made to believe he is special a lucky few. there are models who emotionally manipulate the audience.

-their screen name is not like a name, and dont being like called it all the time. several models built a brand around a handle, but have their members call them by another alias.
Thanks. That's good to know.

I learned long ago not to just surprise someone with what I have lol.

Even one time when I had a doctors exam that required me to strip down, I said, "I will warn you in advance that I am heavily pierced."

His reply was, "Oh these days I would be surprised if I saw one that wasn't pierced."

I felt very comfortable with that, stripped down and hopped on the table. He then turned around and said, "Oh wow, that is impressive. Thanks for the warning." lol

Something still tells me that he was initially just trying to make me feel at ease.

While a pierced cock certainly can be a conversation piece and I do think that most people are at least curious about it at some level, it is also not for everyone.

So my username is letting clients know upfront without me having to go into a lengthy explanation. The 78 part is simply the year that I was born and I have always just liked it as a number.

The funniest reaction to it was when someone asked me if it meant that I was 78 years old. If I look this good at 78, I will be one happy camper lol. Beyond that though I know that most people get it.

Another name that was suggested to me was Jack of All Trades because aside from modeling I also write do some tattooing here and there and do several other ongoing projects none of which are related and no one would ever guess me doing one because I do another. But by the time that name was suggested I already had been using PiercedCock78.

Last edited:
A model's performer name doesn't make any difference to me, although some of them really do make me shake my head. Case in point, recently there has appeared in the thumbnails beneath the room I am in on SC a model with the name "DeepEggs" :wondering: .

I am at a complete loss to fathom how that was chosen (presumably by her studio) as something appropriately alluring for an adult entertainment site. 🤷‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.