AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

How else can you protect your IP and identity on streamate?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 13, 2014
I heard that streamate does not allow VPNs. So, they expect models to risk their safety? Are there any other safe ways to hide your IP, as well as other information about your location that may leak out (like DNS info, etc.) , when you use streamate? Also, another concern that I have is this: if you use any of the alternatives to a VPN, is there a thrid party individual watching what you are doing and finding out your identity and login info? I;m not refering to people watching you on the camsite--but people watching you from a third end?
Some people online have said that streamate has a list of IPs from various VPNS, and they can tell if you are using a VPN. Some people have said "Oh, you better use a good VPN." How do you find a "good VPN," and how do you know that a "good VPN" isn't on a list somewhere?
Is there a way to make your own VPN, or a way to program something that hides your IP and other computer information, or services that do it that aren't VPNs?

Re: How else can you protect your IP and identity on stream

noob101 said:
I heard that streamate does not allow VPNs. So, they expect models to risk their safety? Are there any other safe ways to hide your IP, as well as other information about your location that may leak out (like DNS info, etc.) , when you use streamate? Also, another concern that I have is this: if you use any of the alternatives to a VPN, is there a thrid party individual watching what you are doing and finding out your identity and login info? I;m not refering to people watching you on the camsite--but people watching you from a third end?
Some people online have said that streamate has a list of IPs from various VPNS, and they can tell if you are using a VPN. Some people have said "Oh, you better use a good VPN." How do you find a "good VPN," and how do you know that a "good VPN" isn't on a list somewhere?
Is there a way to make your own VPN, or a way to program something that hides your IP and other computer information, or services that do it that aren't VPNs?
I'm not actually on Streamate, so I could be totally off base here - models on Streamate, feel free to jump in! - but I can answer your IP-related questions to the best of my ability.

In terms of "safe" ways to hide your IP, there will never really be a guarantee. I used to utilize Russian proxies on Facebook to hide my location, and while it worked convincingly for them (they would suggest I change my location/language settings to Russian) it did not work when I visited a website associated with StatCounter, a free web traffic tracking tool, so those aren't fool proof. I know that certain anti-virus software programs might advertise being able to mask IP addresses as well/prevent websites from monitoring internet activity, but to my knowledge this is through the use of a VPN, which could pose a problem in itself.

The problem with utilizing a VPN is the lack of support for broadcasting, whether you are the broadcaster or you are on the receiving end. This is probably why Streamate doesn't allow VPNs as the software won't work the same way as it would on a LAN. Because this is a problem that applies to VPNs as a whole, I don't see how using a "good VPN" would solve this - it doesn't necessarily matter whether the VPN is "good" or "bad", the issue remains that it is not a LAN.

You seem concerned for models' safety, and while I understand that I think it's important to remember that as cam models/clip makers/what have you, anyone going into this industry takes a great deal of risk simply signing up to be a model. I'm glad that you brought this up, however, as it's a good thing to consider when going into camming - while I think it may be unlikely that someone might attempt to find your IP through a cam feed, as most viewers generally struggle to type with one hand at all, it is good to keep in mind that in spite of your best efforts it is still a very real possibility for those capable enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.