AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

How necessary is an external webcam to start out?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EliaRae

Cam Model
Jan 10, 2019
Canada
Twitter Username
@MissEliaRae
Streamate Username
MissEliaRae
ManyVids URL
https://www.manyvids.com/Profile/1005224457/Elia-Rae/
My built in laptop webcam is 720p HD with a bitrate of about 15fps. When properly lit it looks super clear however I have heard from friends IRL who cam as well as dozens of forums on here that it is absolutely essential to get an external cam before your first show to really set yourself up for success. This was my intention however the timeline for when it would be possible for me to afford one keeps getting pushed further and further back. I am SO antsy and excited to start working because this is something I have wanted to pursue for years and it’s made me begin considering starting with the built in webcam. Basically would I be shooting myself in the foot so to speak by “wasting” my New Model tag with my built in webcam? I am experienced with lighting effectively for video so I know that my quality would be as good as my laptop can provide I just don’t know if that is good enough.

(I also have an average of 11Mbps upload on wifi and would obviously hardwire my connection to stream)

I started out with the built-in webcam, but quickly ordered a logitech external cam from Amazon. I think you should be ok if you are antsy and want to get going, but you should make it a priority to order one. Another super important thing I didn't realize when I jumped in was lighting and how important that is. I had a very helpful and nice member in the very beginning give me links to some that were good and reasonably priced, so I ordered a setup for maybe $60. WELL worth it. I can't find the link at the moment, as it looks like my bf ordered it and not on my account, but if you want to know I can certainly come back and share the link later on.

From a member's perspective, an external cam isn't necessary so long as it is reasonably clear, gives good audio and frame rate is good. Sounds like your built-in should suffice.

Lighting is important. If you can't afford lights, play around with what you have, refecting light off white walls in front of you, white dish towel to reduce the harshness, etc. Also, if you can, get daylight bulbs instead of soft white.

There's a thread in general cam chat about lighting. A little dated in terms of links. But, good info still.

@ForceTen so helpful to have a members perspective thank you!! (retrospectively it would’ve made way more sense to put this in general cam chat and ask specifically for members opinions) I’m a liiittle obsessive when I research things so I’ve been through literally every thread a beginner should. :haha: The lighting thread was super helpful and gave me some direction as to what to research - going to try a few different 3 point lighting configurations I found!

Hey love, look into a Logitec c930e. I started with my built in and then made enough money after about a week to spend $60 on a webcam. I find that a mic is very important too! I have a yeti mic. Tell your fans you are saving for these things and they may be more likely to gift you amazon cards or tip! good Luck!

Hey love, look into a Logitec c930e. I started with my built in and then made enough money after about a week to spend $60 on a webcam. I find that a mic is very important too! I have a yeti mic. Tell your fans you are saving for these things and they may be more likely to gift you amazon cards or tip! good Luck!

I’m not looking for equipment recommendations haha I was just curious if my built in specs would be good enough until my first paycheck, thanks though! Also I’m canadian so everything costs like twice as much here (the webcam you mentioned is 140$ on amazon :eek:) so start up equipment costs aren’t as affordable as they are in the states sadly!

I started out with the built-in webcam, but quickly ordered a logitech external cam from Amazon. I think you should be ok if you are antsy and want to get going, but you should make it a priority to order one. Another super important thing I didn't realize when I jumped in was lighting and how important that is. I had a very helpful and nice member in the very beginning give me links to some that were good and reasonably priced, so I ordered a setup for maybe $60. WELL worth it. I can't find the link at the moment, as it looks like my bf ordered it and not on my account, but if you want to know I can certainly come back and share the link later on.

Well, I'd love to know which lighting set up you ordered! I'm ready to upgrade again.

Oh no! It was $70 USD when I bought one for a friend recently. But yes you should be able to survive with a built in. But I would upgrade as quickly as you can afford to.

Like I said I’m canadian! On top of the exchange rate companies have a horrible tendency of charging us double what they charge you just because they can.

Reactions: Kiki Jane
using a laptop's built-in webcam is fine with good lighting in my opinion, and honestly if you want to you can lean into the whole amateur/ girl next door "aesthetic" of slightly lower quality. but overall you're really fine. as long as your internet's good enough to stream well.

I don’t think it’s needed but the better quality your cam is it’s probably for the best. I eventually got a remote control cam and it def makes things easier since I move around a fuck ton. As long as lighting is good and you’ve got a good mix you should be ok

You don't have to have one but you also don't have to have lighting or read chat or speak with you mic or use makeup either however all of it will affect you in the long run. Members usually check you out ONCE, if that one time they see a bad setup you'll be lucky if they come again when you have things sorted out. The new model status is about first impressions so making it your best is important.

In regards to the quality of cam, it's going to depend on what site you planning to use on if you absolutely must get an external cam. The only sites I can really think of where it's a must are Jasmin and F4F. MFC, Chaturbate and pretty much every other cam site I have found all dont have the image requirements that Jasmin and F4F have. You can often find c920's on amazon for around $50 and can probably pick up a used one on ebay for half that, so while it's not required I would recommend upgrading it once you start getting paid.

In regards to the quality of cam, it's going to depend on what site you planning to use on if you absolutely must get an external cam. The only sites I can really think of where it's a must are Jasmin and F4F. MFC, Chaturbate and pretty much every other cam site I have found all dont have the image requirements that Jasmin and F4F have. You can often find c920's on amazon for around $50 and can probably pick up a used one on ebay for half that, so while it's not required I would recommend upgrading it once you start getting paid.

It's also a must on SM, as part of your front page ranking is dependent on if you're streaming in HD, which is very difficult to do with a built-in cam.

very necessary as it attracts more traffic, but! personally, due to last minute ideas to start camming, i stuck with a built-in hp camera before someone surprised me with a logitech ( series: c930e) camera from my wishlist. i maybe cammed with the built-in for a few weeks before that happened? an idea to think about, if you don't already have a wishlist.

very necessary as it attracts more traffic, but! personally, due to last minute ideas to start camming, i stuck with a built-in hp camera before someone surprised me with a logitech ( series: c930e) camera from my wishlist. i maybe cammed with the built-in for a few weeks before that happened? an idea to think about, if you don't already have a wishlist.

It's a gamble waiting for someone to decide and gift you also, that also opens you up to risk of getting your location or address revealed.

My built in laptop webcam is 720p HD with a bitrate of about 15fps. When properly lit it looks super clear however I have heard from friends IRL who cam as well as dozens of forums on here that it is absolutely essential to get an external cam before your first show to really set yourself up for success. This was my intention however the timeline for when it would be possible for me to afford one keeps getting pushed further and further back. I am SO antsy and excited to start working because this is something I have wanted to pursue for years and it’s made me begin considering starting with the built in webcam. Basically would I be shooting myself in the foot so to speak by “wasting” my New Model tag with my built in webcam? I am experienced with lighting effectively for video so I know that my quality would be as good as my laptop can provide I just don’t know if that is good enough.

(I also have an average of 11Mbps upload on wifi and would obviously hardwire my connection to stream)

720p is fine for camming and you don't need an external cam, but do consider that eventually, you'll want to be able to capture unique angles and quite possibly situate the camera in places your entire laptop won't go e.g. shooting from behind - you won't be able to see comments or tip requests (unless you use a second device, which will slow down your connection).

I actually made my camera upgrades into marketable "events" back when I cammed. I would announce that I'd be using a new camera for an upcoming show and the viewer turnout and tips would go up in kind. I even waited on my first upgrade - had the new webcam for two weeks and waited to "debut" it. This allowed all my fans to get acclimated to a certain quality, then to be excited about the upgrade.

But my day job is in finance so I'm kinda a dick like that (i.e. the "everything is marketable" ethos) :D

Also, you should totally start an Amazon WL. It's highly likely that a happy fan will want to show some support by buying it for you. Same goes with Lovense devices. There's a pretty standard Logitech (the c930 I think) that costs less than $100 and is great for camming and even clip-making. Good luck!

• Helpful!
Reactions: Miss Brynn
Honestly, I'm extremely new, like, I started a week ago. I started with the built in camera on my laptop for my first day, but my fiance went out and got me a logitech cam immediatly afterwards (god hes sweet). So far? I made the most tokens my very first night with my built in. Guys really like the new/shy/inexperienced type cam models (at least on chaturbate), so anyone just starting out should be totally fine with using the built in!

Reactions: SaffronBurke
Status
Not open for further replies.