AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Is America too punitive? Trigger warning..

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not uncommon here at all for people to drive this way. I think that's where some of the lashing is coming from. We see this all the time. To have someone like this go flying by on the highway is going to happen pretty much any time you're out there. Also, as much as I think the drug war and police brutality are a problem, it does get a little tedious hearing that the police are "unfair" blah blah over a traffic stop. They do risk their lives. They're out there for a reason, and many cities don't have enough of them to be at all safe.

My point for saying that's it's rare here is if it's happening all the time then the consequences should be re-thought. Education around the subject should also be re-thought. Obviously the current system isn't working. We seem to be dealing with it in a way that prevents it somehow.

For example here something we have chronic issues with is drunk driving specific to rural areas worse than the city. So our system for that and education around it isn't working and needs to change. Maybe jail time is a good idea for drunk driving here.

If a crime is happening excessively then the current methods can be said to be ineffective.

If your therapist is just a general therapist maybe they can recommend a therapist that focuses more on dealing with sexual things. If you can afford it financially you could see both and they could share notes.

There's something very powerful and magical about taking your sexuality back after trauma and I hope you get there.

I will say healing isn't linear and sometimes you have to tear yourself down to build yourself up again. Many times I've figuratively ripped open my wounds or had them ripped open by others and then came out stronger. I hope you are able to find a way to do that with this situation instead of being further traumatized.

She works with abuse victims, but she specializes in personality disorders and whatnot (I have BPD).

I understand that, but I don't feel ready. The man who molested me died 9 months ago and it did exactly what you said. It ripped open all this new stuff because I realized that I really loved him still and I was sad and...just a lot of mixed emotions.

So I think about him every day since he died and I'm trying to make that stop right now. It's already cost me a relationship. Talking about it with a therapist feels worse. It's easier online, but I understand sometimes that looks like oversharing.

I will think about what you said though. But I kind of go numb in situations like this. Like during the actual search I will probably just tune it out. But up until then I'm going to be doing a lot of replaying in my head.

My court date is super soon, so not enough time to solve anything anyway. Thank you, though.

Just going to add in there for @JickyJuly instead of editing because this thread seems to be fast moving that I do agree cops risk their lives with traffic stops.

We don't have as much issue with police brutality here. It's way more likely the police will get killed than the criminal unless the criminal was literally on a killing spree. Or they die in holding because the police didn't realize addicts can actually die from opiate withdrawal.

That being said we do have laws to assist. For example when the police are pulled over on the highway or road you must slow down to something like 30 or 50km and move over a lane. We have these laws because too many police officers have died during traffic stops.

I just think jail isn't the best way to deal with most crimes. I worry that the privatization of jails in the US has led to the way things currently are. Where more people are just being incarcerated when other options may have been better.

She works with abuse victims, but she specializes in personality disorders and whatnot (I have BPD).

I understand that, but I don't feel ready. The man who molested me died 9 months ago and it did exactly what you said. It ripped open all this new stuff because I realized that I really loved him still and I was sad and...just a lot of mixed emotions.

So I think about him every day since he died and I'm trying to make that stop right now. It's already cost me a relationship. Talking about it with a therapist feels worse. It's easier online, but I understand sometimes that looks like oversharing.

I will think about what you said though. But I kind of go numb in situations like this. Like during the actual search I will probably just tune it out. But up until then I'm going to be doing a lot of replaying in my head.

My court date is super soon, so not enough time to solve anything anyway. Thank you, though.

I totally get that. I suspect when my own abuser dies I will both sigh in relief and sob. It will be a relief that someone that has been threatening me still for an extra 15ish years is gone but also he had been family to me until I found out what he had been doing. There's an extra layer to trauma when it's caused by a loved one that just complicates things.

Can your Dr prescribe you something strong for your intake? Is that possible or allowed?

I don't take meds as a general rule but I usually have Ativan for emergency type situations or situations where I can't freak out no matter what on hand. Like I had a tooth surgically removed and the dr had to cut into my jaw bone for it and I was going to be 100 percent alert and awake but it was crucial I not flip out so I was given a fairly strong dose of ativan. Can you be prescribed something to take the edge off during intake?

The strip search won't kill me, either. You don't talk about things for years, you bottle them up, and then when you finally do start opening up it can be easy to baby yourself. I don't even go to the doctor because of what happened. I need to toughen up.

Ya, whatever

Guess what? I'm already going to jail. Because I was driving too fast because that's the kind of person I am. I make mistakes. And I'm crazy. I have problems, yes. But I try to do the right thing and I think I've been a good person most of my life.

Guess what?
You were just being reckless. And you were going way too fast. These are the consequences.
You put others peoples lives in danger.

Thank you so much for offering me my early retirement package.

• Funny!
Reactions: CharlieCharma
I totally get that. I suspect when my own abuser dies I will both sigh in relief and sob. It will be a relief that someone that has been threatening me still for an extra 15ish years is gone but also he had been family to me until I found out what he had been doing. There's an extra layer to trauma when it's caused by a loved one that just complicates things.

Can your Dr prescribe you something strong for your intake? Is that possible or allowed?

I don't take meds as a general rule but I usually have Ativan for emergency type situations or situations where I can't freak out no matter what on hand. Like I had a tooth surgically removed and the dr had to cut into my jaw bone for it and I was going to be 100 percent alert and awake but it was crucial I not flip out so I was given a fairly strong dose of ativan. Can you be prescribed something to take the edge off during intake?

Yeah, exactly. That's exactly it. This guy was my grandmother's boyfriend and they were together my whole life and we all called him our grandpa. And I mean it stopped years ago but nobody stopped loving him, not even me. I don't feel like he was an evil man. Dunno if you get that.

I didn't feel relief when he died, just grief and anxiety, but now he's in my thoughts a lot, which I don't want. I just want the past to be in the past. Only relief I felt was not fretting over if he was doing it to someone else.

I've had an Ativan prescription in the past. It helps with anxiety, but makes me feel depressed or completely, batshit crazy. Like, delusional crazy.

I'll talk to her about it tho :) not sure what the jail will let me bring. I'll have to research laws on that. I'll be okay. I'm half a bottle of wine deep now lol. I'm mellowed.

What do you mean?

That's just a common side effect to drugs in the "pam" family. Ativan is apo lorazapam I think and I can take that but clonazepam makes me crazy. I feel down and detached. Then I have friends that can't have lorazapam but can have clonazepam. They create these side effects in a lot of people.

That's just a common side effect to drugs in the "pam" family. Ativan is apo lorazapam I think and I can take that but clonazepam makes me crazy. I feel down and detached. Then I have friends that can't have lorazapam but can have clonazepam. They create these side effects in a lot of people.

Ohh okay so it's semi-normal. That's good. I find that alcohol works well but side effects include calling my exes and 4-figure online impulse purchases. Either way, doubt they'll have it in jail.

• Funny!
Reactions: Emberblaze
My point for saying that's it's rare here is if it's happening all the time then the consequences should be re-thought. Education around the subject should also be re-thought. Obviously the current system isn't working. We seem to be dealing with it in a way that prevents it somehow.

For example here something we have chronic issues with is drunk driving specific to rural areas worse than the city. So our system for that and education around it isn't working and needs to change. Maybe jail time is a good idea for drunk driving here.

If a crime is happening excessively then the current methods can be said to be ineffective.

To play devil's advocate...

If a person is driving drunk, and doesn't kill/harm anyone, how is it any different than reckless driving if it doesn't kill/harm anyone? Replacing one with the other is no different, as both are extreme lack of judgement, negligence, and thought for others. So, if your area's "punishment and rehabilitation" for drunk driving is classroom and non-jail time. What makes you think said similar corrective actions will work? As an FYI, many states mandate that a driver who's had a serious moving violation, or license revoked, have to attend a course related to the offense already.

Some of the differences between the US and Canada cultures show reflects in actions of people. Here in the US, especially around large cities, high rates of speed are very common. For example, I often comment that every time I'm in Atlanta, if you're driving the posted speed on the Interstate you're a road hazard because you're driving way too slow compared to the rest of traffic. Does it make speeding right? No. But, at the same time, do you just shut the interstate down and ticket everyone going that speed? It's a societal issue, I think because everyone is in too damn much of a hurry. Look at how fast-paced our lives have become. It's reflected in people rushing to get to work, and then get home to get the kids off to an event. Or, just rushing home to relax and eat dinner with a loved one. A little bit of irony in those last two, because they don't realize the danger they cause when they can just slow down a little and use the drive to calm a bit. I'd assume in large metro areas of Canada, or other areas of the world, have similar. At least when they aren't grid-locked with rush hour traffic.

Much of what you have said about laws such as reducing speed, moving over, etc. is state law where I live as well as many other places. Though, this isn't just about police, it's about any emergency vehicle on the roadway or even a car broken down on the side of the road. Just like we have a $300 minimum fine, double the speeding fines, as well as a reduced speed in construction zones. Most are considerate and do it whenever they can. Others, don't give a shit.

Again, some societal differences. Same here with between rural and urban areas. Which is interesting when it comes to politics since many will refer to rural people as "dumb hicks" when it's about elections and politiics. Yet, many talk about wanting to move from the city into a quieter place and "away from people". Makes one go "Hmm..." ;)

It is sincere, but I question your sincerity. You didn't need to bring up the full cavity thing after what I said. It wasn't relevant and made me feel creepy.

It was relevant as it was in response to Charlie's comment about drugs, weapons, etc. potentially being brought into jail. It is something which may happen when being processed into jail. Though, if it does, it should be performed by a female corrections officer with at least one other to witness in case of any misconduct as well as if the person being searched attempts to resist.

But, you said you haven't been to court. Yet, you "know" you're already going to jail even though sentencing hasn't happened. So, either you're not telling the truth about court appearance and/or what the sentence is. Or, you're being over anxious and are dreading the worst that may possibly happen. I get the anxiety aspect because of having to make plans, yet not knowing what the punishment is. If there is jail time, it's usually not where they immediately whisk you away from the court room. Typically, it is sometime in the near future and they will allow you to schedule it within the next 3-6 months. Again, this is if there is any at all. Most times, the judge is lenient and will stay the jail time. Provided you don't have another traffic violation within a year or other timeline as stated by the judge. If you do have another violation, then it will be mandatory and whatever violation you have, may receive stiffer punishment as it shows you didn't really learn your lesson.

To play devil's advocate...

If a person is driving drunk, and doesn't kill/harm anyone, how is it any different than reckless driving if it doesn't kill/harm anyone? Replacing one with the other is no different, as both are extreme lack of judgement, negligence, and thought for others. So, if your area's "punishment and rehabilitation" for drunk driving is classroom and non-jail time. What makes you think said similar corrective actions will work? As an FYI, many states mandate that a driver who's had a serious moving violation, or license revoked, have to attend a course related to the offense already.

I was going to say the amount of the likelihood it is to kill someone, but after doing some very mild research it looks like they're both pretty similar in regards to likelihood to kill someone. I don't think the same punishments would work for both since one is a substance abuse issue and rather than jail, a more rehabilitating approach would work(probation with drug testing the entire time, interlock systems, etc). Maybe for speeding having to take a safe driving course, losing your license, and jail for a short amount of time would make sense.

I believe serious consequences should always happen with drunk driving. I think a huge issue with drunk driving is that the poorer you are the more it will actually affect you. I have two friends who have had a DUI who are in the same income bracket as me. Both had to do over a year of (I think it was) probation where they were unable to drink and had to be drug tested twice a week, both had their licenses suspended for a year, one had to have an interlock system after that, one was on house arrest for a time, and both are incredibly cautious about always leaving their cars at home and offering to pay for other's ubers when we're out drinking now.

Then I have my ex who was wealthy and got out of 3 DUIs. Got out of each fucking one with a good lawyer. He picked me up one time promising he was sober and laughed while I screamed as he went 90+ around "sharp" highway turns. People who can get out of their punishment with good lawyers and money never learn their lesson. It's bullshit.

Reactions: JickyJuly
Nope! That's ALL. Welcome to Virginia! Where not long we threw the Lovings in jail for being an interracial couple.

Also, my lawyer is considered the best for this kind of stuff in the area.

Lol, I was about to respond "must be viriginia" before even scrolling down and seeing that it was. Do not speed in virginia. Ever. From what I hear, jail time is extremely common in virginia for traffic violations. Anything over 80 is reckless driving and comes with jail time. Friend of mine was sitting in court waiting for his hearing watching people getting handed 3-6 month sentences just for speeding.

Personally, I think it's ridiculous to be throwing people in jail for "crimes" where there is no victim.

So, are you from VA or NC?

Oh, and before you go whining further on this, you might want to look at this page. They did a nice little comparision of all the state's laws regarding driving offenses, including reckless.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/g4289/50-states-speeding-laws-flipbook/

Makes what you said about 1-7 days in the county clink look like getting off easy....

Would you rather pay the fine, do the time and lose your license compared to taking someone's life? Or, worse, making them a paraplegic and fully dependent on someone else when they used to provide for their family? I've seen first hand what these kinds of speeds will do the a car and a human body. Not a pleasant way to go. Whether you're in the car being thrown about violently or being hit by a vehicle going a high rate of traffic.

Virginia can be particularly ridiculous. While it wasn't the case with the OP, you can go to jail for as little as 11 MPH over the speed limit. Anything over 80 is reckless driving. Virginia has 70 MPH speed limits. Friend of mine got nailed for "reckless driving" in virginia for doing 13 MPH over the speed limit.

I haven't read all this thread, just scanned over it, but looks like it went a bit off track...

One thing I've noticed with a lot of people on the roads is they don't believe they drive recklessly or dangerously, and it's very hard to tell them otherwise. Speeding is one of the most dangerous things you can do on the road, and it's something that plenty of "law abiding citizens" do without feeling it's an issue. Possibly because you feel disconnected while you're in a car, you're in a bubble, and once you're used to the speed it's really easy to go over and feel it's perfectly normal and ok.

I can't help but feel that the OP is not taking responsibility for just how dangerous this mistake was. I get it, loads of people speed all the time and don't get caught or cause crashes, but at the end of the day, one error is all it takes on the road for you to kill. At that speed if anything had happened to make you swerve, lose concentration or control you would likely have caused serious harm. I hope this is a wake up call to keep an eye on your speed and not go too far over.

I hope the other wake up call is that "criminals" are not just aggressive, rude people who constantly break the law. You can be as educated and polite as you like, but if you break the law you should get the same punishment as someone else who does. This is a pretty big problem in how we perceive people in society, and clearly by the amount of times you've mentioned how polite you were, you share this delusion. I see it a lot, people who are middle class who feel they shouldn't be punished or are entitled to special treatment, it's not a good look.
You were not being arrested for bad language or being aggressive, so how you address the officer has absolutely no relevance. Sure sometimes officers will let you off with a warning if you're not going that much over and they can see your situation is tricky and it was a genuine error, like a mother on a school run a few miles over, but not 30 over the speed limit for no reason besides you "hadn't noticed". Not noticing is reason enough that you shouldn't be on the road.

@Missvc The justice system in America is not meant to rehab people. It IS punitive, but if the question remains "is it too punitive?" in relation to how America works for other criminals, no. Is it really any less punitive to charge someone $2500? That only means that your level of punishment is related to your financial situation. I'd rather sit my ass in jail for a day or 7 than have to come up with that money and burden my family financially.

I actually can't believe some of the shit said in this thread. I'm actually disgusted with some of the people here and I hope people reread some of their shit and realize they went to far. There's a difference between someone that is just a reckless asshole and does this all the time and a person that made a one time mistake and we don't have enough info to know which she is. Yeah she should be scolded but some of you were just awful.

I think some people in this thread can't find that empathy (and have been downright rude about the trauma) because they are too angry about what you did.

It's hard to feel empathy for someone who is playing a victim card in a situation where she wasn't a victim. She started with trauma, then saying she felt like a victim because she has to go to jail, then escalated the description further when not getting pity. All that shit sucks. The thing is, it's really hard to feel bad for someone who can't acknowledge fully that they aren't the victim in this situation. I stand by thinking that this post would have been taken much better had she immediately fessed up to wrong doings and just said the strip search was triggering and wanted support for that. I also have a sister who manipulates people with victim stories escalating further and further when not taken immediately in the way she wants so this post definitely gave me that vibe, admittedly when I can't be a judge of that over the internet with no prior knowledge of a person.

I will say, to OP, I'm sorry what you went through as a child. No one should have to go through that. I'm sorry the strip search was triggering. Triggers are shit. I hope you learned your lesson and that you realize that driving recklessly can kill people. I apologize for being cruel and cold about your abuse. I do want to assure you, if you do have to go to jail, you will not be with murders and rapists and normally they'll even let you serve your sentence over time, like one day every weekend, so it won't affect your job and family life. Your lawyer can help you arrange that if you are sentenced to jail time. While a lot of people don't agree with jail time in the US, at least for minor crimes like this they have a way to enforce it without completely wrecking your life.

It's hard to feel empathy for someone who is playing a victim card in a situation where she wasn't a victim. She started with trauma, then saying she felt like a victim because she has to go to jail, then escalated the description further when not getting pity. All that shit sucks. The thing is, it's really hard to feel bad for someone who can't acknowledge fully that they aren't the victim in this situation. I stand by thinking that this post would have been taken much better had she immediately fessed up to wrong doings and just said the strip search was triggering and wanted support for that. I also have a sister who manipulates people with victim stories escalating further and further when not taken immediately in the way she wants so this post definitely gave me that vibe, admittedly when I can't be a judge of that over the internet with no prior knowledge of a person.

I will say, to OP, I'm sorry what you went through as a child. No one should have to go through that. I'm sorry the strip search was triggering. Triggers are shit. I hope you learned your lesson and that you realize that driving recklessly can kill people. I apologize for being cruel and cold about your abuse. I do want to assure you, if you do have to go to jail, you will not be with murders and rapists and normally they'll even let you serve your sentence over time, like one day every weekend, so it won't affect your job and family life. Your lawyer can help you arrange that if you are sentenced to jail time. While a lot of people don't agree with jail time in the US, at least for minor crimes like this they have a way to enforce it without completely wrecking your life.

Did you not read the post where I both apologized and took accountability? I don't think the piling on needs to continue. You made your point, I got it.

As for jail, I discussed this with my lawyer. He said that, yes there may and likely will be a couple violent criminals. Basically, most people are only there for under a week. Like 90%. And there will be people arrested for every crime under the sun awaiting transfer.

It doesn't really matter because neither you or I have a choice in the matter, but for the sake of the facts.

Did you not read the post where I both apologized and took accountability? I don't think the piling on needs to continue. You made your point, I got it.

As for jail, I discussed this with my lawyer. He said that, yes there may and likely will be a couple violent criminals. Basically, most people are only there for under a week. Like 90%. And there will be people arrested for every crime under the sun awaiting transfer.

It doesn't really matter because neither you or I have a choice in the matter, but for the sake of the facts.

I am not piling on. I was explaining to VC why I reacted the way I did. I am going off your original posts that I originally responded to. Jail isn't that bad, but good luck because obsessing about it like this is going to be the real punishment for you it seems. Relax. Take some breaths. It's one week of your life tops.

Virginia can be particularly ridiculous. While it wasn't the case with the OP, you can go to jail for as little as 11 MPH over the speed limit. Anything over 80 is reckless driving. Virginia has 70 MPH speed limits. Friend of mine got nailed for "reckless driving" in virginia for doing 13 MPH over the speed limit.

Those same laws apply to many other states. Mine as well. If your friend was over 80, when he was "13 MPH over the speed limit" it's a reckless.

I hear your same argument in many other states. Especially if you're from out of state. So, I see nothing special about VA, NC, or other states these laws are enforced.

Easy enough mistake to make. The difference between sixty and ninety is barely even noticeable in most newer cars. You'll be run off the road if you don't do about 20 over at certain times on the turnpike near me. Thirty over on a dead highway is dumb but hardly worth picking up a pitchfork for. I'd understand the outrage if it were 30 over in a school zone or a much higher speed than ninety but this is extremely common. Don't be afraid to rely on cruise control in the future if you are the type to unintentionally speed on the highway when you don't have a flow of traffic to follow.

Easy enough mistake to make. The difference between sixty and ninety is barely even noticeable in most newer cars. You'll be run off the road if you don't do about 20 over at certain times on the turnpike near me. Thirty over on a dead highway is dumb but hardly worth picking up a pitchfork for. I'd understand the outrage if it were 30 over in a school zone or a much higher speed than ninety but this is extremely common. Don't be afraid to rely on cruise control in the future if you are the type to unintentionally speed on the highway when you don't have a flow of traffic to follow.

You drive a bmw, don't you?

Those same laws apply to many other states. Mine as well. If your friend was over 80, when he was "13 MPH over the speed limit" it's a reckless.

I hear your same argument in many other states. Especially if you're from out of state. So, I see nothing special about VA, NC, or other states these laws are enforced.

Could just be my perspective then. I live somewhat near virginia and my state's laws (and surrounding states) are much more lax. Since people from my state frequently drive in Virginia, it has that reputation.

That said, the problem with the laws are that they were written (at least I think they were, could be wrong) when maximum speed limits were 55. The speed limits have increased quite a bit, but the reckless driving threshold has remained. I'm not alone in thinking it's bit ridiculous since the virginia senate just passed a bill on tuesday to increase it.
https://wtop.com/virginia/2018/01/va-senate-hopes-ease-reckless-driving-threat-interstates/

Could just be my perspective then. I live somewhat near virginia and my state's laws (and surrounding states) are much more lax. Since people from my state frequently drive in Virginia, it has that reputation.

That said, the problem with the laws are that they were written (at least I think they were, could be wrong) when maximum speed limits were 55. The speed limits have increased quite a bit, but the reckless driving threshold has remained. I'm not alone in thinking it's bit ridiculous since the virginia senate just passed a bill on tuesday to increase it.
https://wtop.com/virginia/2018/01/va-senate-hopes-ease-reckless-driving-threat-interstates/

Many times, our perspectives are baed solely on our proximities. But, if one does a little research, you'll see that many states have similar laws. In part, this is due to Fed Gov't mandating states adopt specific "guidelines" as laws in order to get funding for roadways, etc.

I'll hesitantly agree that the 80mph reckless is a little overkill when it's on the interstate in rural areas and speed limit is 70 or 75. But, here's the problem. As vehicles become safer, with better handling, braking, more power, and sensors up the wazoo to tell you when you get too close to an object. It does nothing to address the real crux of the problem: the human factor.

People are now far more distracted while driving than they were even 5 or 10 years ago. Add in that people are lving longer, and as they age their reflexes get worse. Let's not forget about the countless ailments that people have which can cause reduction in reflexes. Oh, and how many are willing to give up their license for fear of losing their independence?

So, again, technology is raising the bar. But, the human factor can never keep up and in some ways is making it much worse to be on the roads just with natural issues (age, health issues, etc.). Add in the distractions, and failure to properly follow rules and laws of the road , and it's taken to a whole 'nother level.

As I eluded to before, I've seen first hand what some of these "accidents" can do to vehicles and people due to higher speeds mixed with negligence, drugs/alcohol, and such. Not a pretty sight.

Many times, our perspectives are baed solely on our proximities. But, if one does a little research, you'll see that many states have similar laws. In part, this is due to Fed Gov't mandating states adopt specific "guidelines" as laws in order to get funding for roadways, etc.

I'll hesitantly agree that the 80mph reckless is a little overkill when it's on the interstate in rural areas and speed limit is 70 or 75. But, here's the problem. As vehicles become safer, with better handling, braking, more power, and sensors up the wazoo to tell you when you get too close to an object. It does nothing to address the real crux of the problem: the human factor.

People are now far more distracted while driving than they were even 5 or 10 years ago. Add in that people are lving longer, and as they age their reflexes get worse. Let's not forget about the countless ailments that people have which can cause reduction in reflexes. Oh, and how many are willing to give up their license for fear of losing their independence?

So, again, technology is raising the bar. But, the human factor can never keep up and in some ways is making it much worse to be on the roads just with natural issues (age, health issues, etc.). Add in the distractions, and failure to properly follow rules and laws of the road , and it's taken to a whole 'nother level.

As I eluded to before, I've seen first hand what some of these "accidents" can do to vehicles and people due to higher speeds mixed with negligence, drugs/alcohol, and such. Not a pretty sight.

This doesn't really relate to this situation because I wasn't drinking, wasn't looking at my phone, etc. You can be distracted for a lot of reasons and not fully realize.

In my case, my thoughts tend to be really racing and all over the place (even worse when I'm stressed) and I genuinely wasn't aware of how fast I was going. If I was, I wouldn't have gone so fast.

That doesn't excuse it, I SHOULD have been aware. I'm just explaining. None of that stuff you're talking about was at play, I was only charged with reckless by speed, nothing else.

Yeah, the latter part of that is where I have concern. People are going to forget how to drive properly. Build an idiot proof car, and we'll start producing better idiots.

However, despite my opinion on that, as a whole, driving is safer than ever when looking at deaths per billion miles driven. So we must be doing something right.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...dia/File:USA_annual_VMT_vs_deaths_per_VMT.png

Hopefully this will all be moot in 20 years with self driving cars. And hopefully they won't turn on us kill us either.

This doesn't really relate to this situation because I wasn't drinking, wasn't looking at my phone, etc. You can be distracted for a lot of reasons and not fully realize.

In my case, my thoughts tend to be really racing and all over the place (even worse when I'm stressed) and I genuinely wasn't aware of how fast I was going. If I was, I wouldn't have gone so fast.

That doesn't excuse it, I SHOULD have been aware. I'm just explaining. None of that stuff you're talking about was at play, I was only charged with reckless by speed, nothing else.

That wasn't addressed to you, it was in response to @cammingcouple 's side dicussion with me. But, you added another human factor: lack of awareness due to thoughts elsewhere. Again, which still falls under distracted driving because you were not focusing on the task at hand: driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.