AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Is there a decline in the number of Chaturbate's viewers?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a potential hen and egg problem. Do the HD and HD+ rank higher, because cb put that in their algorithm or do they rank higher, because users prefer high quality streams?

I still think we're all thinking too cb-ish, because we all know that cb only has this one way of presenting rooms: one long list divided by pages and sections, which are again a long list divided by pages. But there would be more possibilities. Very simple one: just put more rooms on one page, make thumbnails smaller, make it all a scrollable list, make a new tab or section "recommended rooms". Give users more options to sort their list of followed girls. Think outside the box ;)

Reactions: whoknowswhite
Does anyone know how long they have been giving priority to 1080P over 720P?
For years.
I'm sure to have seen it and disabled 3 years ago because I missed a lot of nice cams and passed too much time to surf in pages ;)
I "disabled recommendations" as well just because I like novelties and don't want to stay enclose in any type of room (only blonds, or brunettes, or....)

But it seems that good cams and fiber are becoming much more usual then few months ago :/

For years.
I'm sure to have seen it and disabled 3 years ago because I missed a lot of nice cams and passed too much time to surf in pages ;)

I opened up a few anonymous browser windows and it looks like the default setting for new and anonymous users is to disable the "Prioritize HD Cameras" option. So it looks by default they are prioritizing any camera that is 720P or higher on a pretty fair/equal basis. But if a model does not run at least 720P, she is at a terrible disadvantage.

Only the last fortnight I've noticed a massive decrease in viewers a lot more greys and less blues purples etc I had the worst night I've ever had this week I thought it was something I was doing but I'm glad to know its not just me and a lot of people are noticing

I looked on girls few hours ago and a lots of mainly page has 200-600 tokens!!!! thats horible!!! only 4 has : 2900, 3600, 5000. 9600.

I looked on girls few hours ago and a lots of mainly page has 200-600 tokens!!!! thats horible!!! only 4 has : 2900, 3600, 5000. 9600.
I was online a few hours ago and only had 15 people in my room!! I'm usually sitting between 100 to 200 viewers! What's going on

I was so stressed out the first time I had a bad show in months and emailed CB freaking out.

Here was part of their response:

"The algorithm that establishes how cams are sorted on Chaturbate is designed to increase user engagement and highlight rooms that are currently fun to watch. When Chaturbate first launched, we used a simple algorithm that counted the number of users in a room. Unfortunately, that algorithm was easily cheated by the use of bots. Our current algorithm is continuously improved and uses many metrics to detect which rooms are currently interesting to a given user. Our goal will always be to increase time-on-site. Therefore, our recommendation to independent broadcasters is to attract as many real users to your room as possible, and to keep them engaged for as long as possible."

What I believe it means (and applies well to whats been happening in my room) is that part of the algorithm that will put you lower or higher on a page is dependent upon how LONG users are in your room. Therefore if you have 200 viewers, then it drops to 150, it will be very difficult to revamp the viewership since it shows that many people are dropping. You'll probably then go lower and lower on a page when people are dropping... which is shitty because there's always a chance to gain more viewers if you are placed where you should be based on registered users or the total number of users (when it goes in chronological order). For example if 20 viewers drop, with the old algorithm maybe you'll move a few places back, but with the new algorithm, you might move several rows down.

What I've experienced is that for a good potion of my show I will hover around a certain number maybe like 250 (which is low for me) then it will suddenly skyrocket to 400-500. I think its at times when I show more skin (since people will probably stay longer in a room if the girl is naked and will get more naked). I HATE this technique because its making me so nervous! I HATE showing skin in the beginning, too, but with this algorithm I feel like I need to. With the old algorithm, my number would slowly increase over time. Only sometimes now do I get to my usual numbers quickly. Now its like a crap shoot depending on if my regulars are online at a certain time, etc.

What's also unfair is that really seasoned cam models will not be affected by this. Girls with 100,000-500,000 followers will most likely always get a big room because they have SO many fans. Their fans follow them closely and get online when they're on. I have about 50,000 followers (I'm newish) so I'm at such a disadvantage with this new algorithm! I'm telling you it favors the girls who already have a big following but how does this allow room for growth for smaller ones? I really think they need to change it.

I've sent a reply back to CB and am waiting to hear back but guys I really suggest you also email them with what you've said here. It is not smart of them to not please their workers (do you remember what happened with Vine?). The site does not exist without us, and the more complaints, or asking for transparency (I asked for transparency when it came to the new algorithm so at least we can know what we're up against) the better chance of us receiving answers.

Keep us updated.

My proposition is to spam them with messages :woot:
Being honest I think that they will notice that income will be 80% less than last few months. Trust me. I saw today and yesterday many girls which being on first page earned 360-1000 tokens. Their servers will cost more than all workers income.

I also dont believe that they finally wanted to be "FAIR" for everybody, Users probably used bots about 3 years and now they want to be fair and limit bots.... I think they want to have more broadcasters NAKED and sell all videos to tube or partners websites. Thats all.

and... Are you(CB ADMIN) sure that users wanna still watch the same " favors" girls? You dont give chance for new girls, with not many followers. They will be tired of Caylin, Hanah, Oksana, Belka, Holly etc and other the same girls if will be everyday on the same position.... Users will have to scroll down a lot to see new faces or... will leave this website.

Last edited:
I was so stressed out the first time I had a bad show in months and emailed CB freaking out.

"The algorithm that establishes how cams are sorted on Chaturbate is designed to increase user engagement and highlight rooms that are currently fun to watch. When Chaturbate first launched, we used a simple algorithm that counted the number of users in a room. Unfortunately, that algorithm was easily cheated by the use of bots. Our current algorithm is continuously improved and uses many metrics to detect which rooms are currently interesting to a given user. Our goal will always be to increase time-on-site. Therefore, our recommendation to independent broadcasters is to attract as many real users to your room as possible, and to keep them engaged for as long as possible."

snip snip....

What's also unfair is that really seasoned cam models will not be affected by this. Girls with 100,000-500,000 followers will most likely always get a big room because they have SO many fans. Their fans follow them closely and get online when they're on. I have about 50,000 followers (I'm newish) so I'm at such a disadvantage with this new algorithm! I'm telling you it favors the girls who already have a big following but how does this allow room for growth for smaller ones? I really think they need to change it.

snip snip

Many seasoned models are being affected by this as well. Sadly.

I also dont believe that they finally wanted to be "FAIR" for everybody, Users probably used bots about 3 years and now they want to be fair and limit bots.... I think they want to have more broadcasters NAKED and sell all videos to tube or partners websites. Thats all.

and... Are you(CB ADMIN) sure that users wanna still watch the same " favors" girls? You dont give chance for new girls, with not many followers. They will be tired of Caylin, Hanah, Oksana, Belka, Holly etc and other the same girls if will be everyday on the same position.... Users will have to scroll down a lot to see new faces or... will leave this website.

High token earning rooms will be getting all the favoritism now it seems. All part of business I guess. Basically tells some that If you can't play the game, move on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many seasoned models are being affected by this as well. Sadly.

Have you heard any seasoned models been affected? For them how is it affecting them? I've still seen a lot of the ones I follow with high viewer counts pretty high. Mostly because they have a loyal following.

What I believe it means (and applies well to whats been happening in my room) is that part of the algorithm that will put you lower or higher on a page is dependent upon how LONG users are in your room. Therefore if you have 200 viewers, then it drops to 150, it will be very difficult to revamp the viewership since it shows that many people are dropping. You'll probably then go lower and lower on a page when people are dropping... which is shitty because there's always a chance to gain more viewers if you are placed where you should be based on registered users or the total number of users (when it goes in chronological order). For example if 20 viewers drop, with the old algorithm maybe you'll move a few places back, but with the new algorithm, you might move several rows down.

What I've experienced is that for a good potion of my show I will hover around a certain number maybe like 250 (which is low for me) then it will suddenly skyrocket to 400-500. I think its at times when I show more skin (since people will probably stay longer in a room if the girl is naked and will get more naked). I HATE this technique because its making me so nervous! I HATE showing skin in the beginning, too, but with this algorithm I feel like I need to. With the old algorithm, my number would slowly increase over time. Only sometimes now do I get to my usual numbers quickly. Now its like a crap shoot depending on if my regulars are online at a certain time, etc.

I've sent a reply back to CB and am waiting to hear back but guys I really suggest you also email them with what you've said here. It is not smart of them to not please their workers (do you remember what happened with Vine?). The site does not exist without us, and the more complaints, or asking for transparency (I asked for transparency when it came to the new algorithm so at least we can know what we're up against) the better chance of us receiving answers.

Keep us updated.

This kind of makes a lot of sense in the same way that search engines use the bounce rate to identify a pages relevancy to the search, so I can see why they would try to find the rooms where members spend the most time in this way. If it knocks you back every time someone leaves the room without interacting in the chat it's not really going to work though, any time im online I will see the same names coming in and out for hours, they dont talk or tip, they are looking to see if theres a free show about to start and when theres no show going on leave to go to a room doing a free show. It seems crazy to think that freeloaders should have such a massive impact on the models page placement and ultimately how much they are able to earn, now not only would freeloaders be not making you money but they would also be costing you money.

I'm interested to see chaturbates response.

Therefore, our recommendation to independent broadcasters is to attract as many real users to your room as possible, and to keep them engaged for as long as possible."

Maybe it's just me, but that portion of their response makes it seem like they are catering more towards studios than they are independents, and it contains the hint that time in your room is also important.

That aside, I've done a little experimenting over the past few nights, and as anecdotal as it is, I've found that user color seemingly has an impact on model placement. I've been a purple user for months now, so I decided to start joining rooms with very low user counts and no colored users and making note of the models current page placement. Upon joining the models room, I would open a different browser and join the site as an anon user and check the models placement. The models placement would move up by as much as a page or more in some cases, more especially if she was displaying in 720p or higher. 480p models didn't seem to move up in placement as much, so there seems to be some truth in the resolution discussion as well.

Also, the Bot issue also seems to be as prevalent as it ever was. Not saying that light blue users can't be in more than one models room at a time, but finding the same user names in several, top placed EE models rooms, does beg the question of how widespread this practice still is, and just how much it is still affecting model placement.

Reactions: sex_addicted_artist
I've found that user color seemingly has an impact on model placement. I've been a purple user for months now, so I decided to start joining rooms with very low user counts and no colored users and making note of the models current page placement.

Any colored name entering a room that has no colored names would dramatically move up a models position, doesnt have to be purple. All models with no colored names are equal and sorted by time online as is the case with any model on equal ranking value. So model A and model B have a single light blue in their room but model B has been online longer then model B will be in front.

Reactions: Mila_
So model A and model B have a single light blue in their room but model B has been online longer then model B will be in front.

Then there is definitely a problem with the sorting of models as far as placement is concerned if what you say is true. I just now clicked on the "female tab" at the top, then selected the last page of models(page 26 in this case) and there were several models listed there with 3 and 4 hours of time online listed on the last page, who were being listed under models with a zero user count and less than 2 minutes online. One model is second to last with 1250 users online and 4.5 hours being listed as time online.

Maybe it's a sorting issue with the website, rather than an issue with the actual algorithm?

Then there is definitely a problem with the sorting of models as far as placement is concerned if what you say is true. I just now clicked on the "female tab" at the top, then selected the last page of models(page 26 in this case) and there were several models listed there with 3 and 4 hours of time online listed on the last page, who were being listed under models with a zero user count and less than 2 minutes online. One model is second to last with 1250 users online and 4.5 hours being listed as time online.

Maybe it's a sorting issue with the website, rather than an issue with the actual algorithm?

What you are describing is just a temporary situation that resolves itself in less than 5 minutes (the exception being the rare times the model list gets frozen)

Temporary for who? The model or the user? 5 minutes can kill a models placement if she is supposed to be on page 3, but is instead listed on the last page for any given user.

Regardless, several page refreshes now and the sorting mechanism doesn't make any sense what so ever. Models on page 10 with less than 15 minutes online and a dozen users being listed over models with several hours online and more users, but listed on page 2.

What I believe it means (and applies well to whats been happening in my room) is that part of the algorithm that will put you lower or higher on a page is dependent upon how LONG users are in your room.

Definitely not, they would never think it was a good idea to do it based on how LONG a user is in your room. For the most part it doesn't look too different to me until you get to the top of the first page then its kind of odd for example the gay couple yesterday did not have nearly enough users to be in front of asiri but they were so that seemed odd. Could be a bonus based on how many users are chatting...that would be amusing.

Regardless, several page refreshes now and the sorting mechanism doesn't make any sense what so ever. Models on page 10 with less than 15 minutes online and a dozen users being listed over models with several hours online and more users, but listed on page 2.

I didn't understand this line sorry.

edit: time is only a factor is the models have the exact same placement value on the list, thats why if you flip through pages towards the end a lot of time it will look like its ordered by time.

the temporary situation ending up in the back is the result of something happening, I do not know every situation that causes it, could be a brief disconnect or something to that nature. 5 minutes is just the maximum time i've seen it take but thats just based on my view watching the api.

Definitely not, they would never think it was a good idea to do it based on how LONG a user is in your room. For the most part it doesn't look too different to me until you get to the top of the first page then its kind of odd for example the gay couple yesterday did not have nearly enough users to be in front of asiri but they were so that seemed odd. Could be a bonus based on how many users are chatting...that would be amusing.
I think how long users stay in a room makes total sense! Maybe not in the sense "measure how long user123456 stays" but in the sense let's see how many users DROP in a given time frame. If the rate of dropped users is high, this could indicate a boring room, thus lowering the placement on a page. They essentially admitted they are measuring boring vs. exciting rooms (which I still don't know why simply registered users in a room wouldn't be sufficient in measuring this but okay!)

Once users started leaving my page, my number would NOT go up. No matter what happened. I'm not sure chatting would make sense because bots chat, thus helping give the impression of an active room, but they are avoiding giving priority to rooms with bots.

So what do you think they ARE using to measure interesting rooms now?

Also I checked out the first and second pages and models just look stressed :( It really is so stressful to work like this, now.

What I meant to say was that at any given time, based on what page I choose, there are models, on say page 20, who have several hours listed as online time with dozens of viewers. Yet on page 5 you can see models with less than 15 minutes online and with just as many, or less, viewers.

I think how long users stay in a room makes total sense! Maybe not in the sense "measure how long user123456 stays" but in the sense let's see how many users DROP in a given time frame. If the rate of dropped users is high, this could indicate a boring room, thus lowering the placement on a page. They essentially admitted they are measuring boring vs. exciting rooms (which I still don't know why simply registered users in a room wouldn't be sufficient in measuring this but okay!)

Once users started leaving my page, my number would NOT go up. No matter what happened. I'm not sure chatting would make sense because bots chat, thus helping give the impression of an active room, but they are avoiding giving priority to rooms with bots.

So what do you think they ARE using to measure interesting rooms now?

Also I checked out the first and second pages and models just look stressed :( It really is so stressful to work like this, now.

The users that stay the longest are the idlers and bots it just wouldnt make sense.

They essentially admitted they are measuring boring vs. exciting rooms (which I still don't know why simply registered users in a room wouldn't be sufficient in measuring this but okay!)

If I owned chaturbate and I wanted a new algorithm to prevent abuse the only person thats going to know about it is me and 1 developer. I am not sharing the details with the customer service team, people have big mouths and it must be really difficult to know the truth and see so many people talking about it incorrectly.

Reactions: Natalie_Lavender
This is why I had show you screens on my earlier answer. These girls r.... and y...... always open the same bot. They have the same name blue and dark blue users- always. Few weeks ago they were on first page. Was funny that they always were next to each other. Now both are on 3 page, sometimes both are on 2 but max are on 3 page. So where is the chaturbate "fair" strategy if they still use bot? How chaturbate is fair in this way? These girls usually start on 9/10 pm and after 10 minutes are on 3 page.... Somebody know how its possible?

In any way, since some days there are barely rooms on the front page with less than 1,000 viewers, there are sometimes several far over 10,000 and many high in the thousands. That's just really extreme and if it continues like this there will be soon no more rooms showing less than 1,000 viewers on the front page and in parts of page 2. I would like to know where all this traffic comes from and how many of these are even human viewers but I guess I'll never know.

That a room shows with the number from when the cam went off at the last broadcast for some minutes has been a bug for long now. It gets corrected after some minutes. Also that rooms where the cam went off are put "somewhere" on the page (sometimes to the very bottom) for some minutes is a old bug. Rooms placement is corrected some minutes later.

This is why I had show you screens on my earlier answer. These girls r.... and y...... always open the same bot. They have the same name blue and dark blue users- always. Few weeks ago they were on first page. Was funny that they always were next to each other. Now both are on 3 page, sometimes both are on 2 but max are on 3 page. So where is the chaturbate "fair" strategy if they still use bot? How chaturbate is fair in this way? These girls usually start on 9/10 pm and after 10 minutes are on 3 page.... Somebody know how its possible?

There are other studios that use the same bot accounts too. The sheer number of accounts in the room still matters "somehow" too. Other studio girls pop up right on the front page with just 5 minutes broadcast and about 500 viewers and always the same silent users (aka bots). Interestingly two of these studios use bots on myfreecams too, the rooms shoot straight to big viewer numbers there too and pop up in the "most popular" rooms despite having low camscores and "nothing" happening in the room (cam just went on). Two of these studios use bot nets with only registered users. These pop up with almost no anonymous viewers, fairly easy to catch really.

I wanna agree that having time users spent in a room count for placement and having no other factor here heavily favours viewer bots, because they are usually just parked in the room for the whole or large parts of the broadcast.

Last edited:
Also that rooms where the cam went off are put "somewhere" on the page (sometimes to the very bottom) for some minutes is a old bug. Rooms placement is corrected some minutes later.

I understand this bug, but how does that play into placement for models who have less time yet many viewers?

There is currently a model in the top 10 on CB with less than 10 mins online and over 2500 viewers being placed higher than models with 3 hours and just as many viewers? Bug or not, there seems to be a sorting issue at play here.

I understand this bug, but how does that play into placement for models who have less time yet many viewers?

There is currently a model in the top 10 on CB with less than 10 mins online and over 2500 viewers being placed higher than models with 3 hours and just as many viewers? Bug or not, there seems to be a sorting issue at play here.

This is mostly an interruption in the broadcast itself. Meaning cam went off for some seconds, connection to chat was lost, such things on the side of the broadcaster. At least when cam goes off for a minute or so (don't ask me for the exact time necessary), the room shows with just "1 minute" or "2 minutes" etc., the timer that shows online time was restarted after cam went back on.

Status
Not open for further replies.