AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

LGBT etc...

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 9, 2011
had a conversation with one of my friends who is more than just a wee bit lavender the other day. it got me pondering and remembering.

see back when i was a young'n there was one word in common use: gay. then lesbian came out (haha) into casual parlance as a distinction for the ladies. i wasnt too many years later that i got to actually meet some gay/les people and hear about the community as a whole, pride marches and what not. i was informed that it was called the "LGB" community for the PC amongst us you know, lesbian, gay and bi.

i guess somewhere in the mid 90s i heard and saw it referred to as the LGBT community, adding transgendered into the mix. i asked my favorite friend of dorothy why that was added in to the "official" parlance of groups like PFLAG and such. he said that the community was pretty inclusive and accepting of the differently gendered for many reasons, and gave plenty that led me to a better understanding of things. (not going into those here would be TL;DR)

about a month ago i began to see it written as LGBTQ. i thought Q? wtf is a Q in there for. i asked around (having more than just one or two friends who happen to be light in the loafers these days) and found out it indicates queer. i said "wtf?" yet again. isnt that a derogatory term? well turns out that it is, but its being used now to indicate folk who aren't LGB or T, but fall into the cracks between those letter labels. i asked "such as?". the answer was "man, i honestly have no fucking idea". following that we spent an hour or so laughing our asses off at the theoretical possiblilities such as dogs who are species dysphoric and want to become cats.

point being that we sort of wondered how far it could go. since "queer" isn't a definite article for any known group, gender, sex or preference that we could figure out isn't it just a catch all? how inclusive is too inclusive? all the wonderful folk who are a little fey tend to be very accepting of other's predilictions. has it gone so far now that it no longer (LGBTQ that is) represents a group of people long thrown to the fringes of society? are my compatriots of the "men's men and lady's ladies" persuasion now so accepted in large that they can comfortably extend their banner of love and shelter in community to just about anyone?

we reached no conclusion as the conversation veered so far into silliness that we could not recover. (even though we did dig up a long list of "polite" phrases for gay guys from over the years which i had to inculde here for my own entertainment).

any thoughts?

I hate the term "queer." I've been referred to as queer innocently by LGBT friends, and I've even heard the community as a whole referred to as the "queer community". I find that offensive to me.

The definiton of queer is: strange, odd, eccentric, of questionable character/suspicious, fake/counterfeit, ill, to ruin or spoil.

I am very odd, very eccentric, maybe of questionable character at times, but it certainly isn't because of who I am attracted to.

I get that people are trying to take an offensive word and make it positive, but I think it just solidifies in peoples minds that we are different and strange. Some studies have shown that 1 in 10 people are gay, I'm not sure if they included bisexual people, but that's not a small percentage of people to warrant us to be so different than anyone else.

I think there should be a term for the community as a whole that isn't so focused on specific orientations or attempting to revamp derrogatory words as I've seriously seen the LGBT community referred to as LGBTTQQAP--lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgendered, transexual, queer, questioning, asexual, pansexual. I think that's ridiculous. They are adding GF in that now as well--gender fluid.

I support any orientation, but I don't understand the need for so many lables as a community.

Also, I was never accepted into the LGBT community in high school (my high school had a big one, too) because they called me fake, confused, an attention whore, and needing to pick a side.

BlueViolet said:
Also, I was never accepted into the LGBT community in high school (my high school had a big one, too) because they called me fake, confused, an attention whore, and needing to pick a side.

:geek: You can join my community anytime you wish, I like to call it Humanity. I never got around to making up a bunch of fancy rules for it or anything, so you are welcome to just do whatever and be yourself. You seem to be good people, and that counts for a lot.

Several other groups claimed dibs on the Humanity name, but they are so busy fighting I doubt they will ever notice I yoinked it.

Shaun__ said:
BlueViolet said:

:geek: You can join my community anytime you wish, I like to call it Humanity. I never got around to making up a bunch of fancy rules for it or anything, so you are welcome to just do whatever and be yourself. You seem to be good people, and that counts for a lot.

Several other groups claimed dibs on the Humanity name, but they are so busy fighting I doubt they will ever notice I yoinked it.

Post of the year right there!

Shaun__ said:
BlueViolet said:

:clap:

Reactions: PlayboyMegan
Shaun__ said:
You can join my community anytime you wish, I like to call it Humanity.

Humanity? That club includes a lot of assholes, doesn't it? Why not offer membership in mammalia? That would be even more inclusive! Plus we could volunteer some of our members to be on the bacon committee.

The LGBT "community" exists to offer limited, circumstance-specific, mutual support to people who have found themselves hated, attacked, marginalized and discriminated against because of their non-standard sexuality. That's pretty much all they have in common. This "community", and any of its sub-communities is pretty heterogeneous. If they seem to want to branch out more, that's just to gain more political strength. Republicans do the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.