AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Narrative Journalism Essay Focusing on Cam Models and Users

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Narrative Journalism Essay Focusing on Cam Models and Us

Bocefish said:
Camgirl modeling has also been mentioned on TV network shows like Desperate Housewives where Teri Hatcher actually does a vanilla version of it for a while on the TV show. It's also been mentioned in the cable show 'Califonication' on Showtime. No idea which episodes they are anymore.
Also, United States of Tara a couple years ago FWIW.

AmberCutie,

Yes, but it was my intent to cast as broad a net as possible to maximize potential sources. Sorry if that was bad form.

JMP

I'd consider it if I didn't have to use my stage name. Some of us would be far more open and in-depth about our answers if we knew our customers couldn't look it up, and I also don't want your readers looking me up. So if that's not possible, then good luck with your article :hello2:

MissKlass said:
I'd consider it if I didn't have to use my stage name. Some of us would be far more open and in-depth about our answers if we knew our customers couldn't look it up, and I also don't want your readers looking me up. So if that's not possible, then good luck with your article :hello2:
I thought it's pretty standard in these situations to change the names - and the only way people could identify you is if you told them or if you made reference to specific events they had knowledge of.

Reactions: JMPatton and bob

MissKlass said:

You don't have to use your stage name, and in fact can call yourself anything you want. What I meant by that was that the stage name is sufficient and I have no interest in using your civilian identity. Jupiter is correct that with stories like this it is pretty standard to change names.

JMP

Reactions: LadyLuna

Bocefish said:
Camgirl modeling has also been mentioned on TV network shows like Desperate Housewives where Teri Hatcher actually does a vanilla version of it for a while on the TV show. It's also been mentioned in the cable show 'Califonication' on Showtime. No idea which episodes they are anymore.

In the show Heroes, Ali Larter's Character started out as a cam model, and one of the Japanese guys, Ando, was one of her members.

Reactions: JMPatton

UncleThursday said:
In the show Heroes, Ali Larter's Character started out as a cam model, and one of the Japanese guys, Ando, was one of her members.
ROFL omg I forgot about that...and coincidence, I met a cam model who looks exactly like Ali Larter except with black hair.

JMPatton said:
MissKlass said:

You don't have to use your stage name, and in fact can call yourself anything you want. What I meant by that was that the stage name is sufficient and I have no interest in using your civilian identity. Jupiter is correct that with stories like this it is pretty standard to change names.

JMP

Oops! Must have misread then, sorry :)

I would like to thank everyone who has replied thus far. In fact, I was surprised at how compelling the users' stories are. Any other user who would like to share, please don't hesitate to e-mail me. The deadline isn't for six weeks or so, so anyone who may want to contribute -- even just as background -- the more the merrier.

Again, thanks for sharing your stories with me. It's a big responsibility for us narrative nonfiction writers to honor the stories of our subjects. I will do my best to tell a worthwhile story and -- if we're lucky -- make a little bit of art.

Thanks again,
Joshua M. Patton
JoshPatton@aol.com

UPDATE!! Narrative Journalism Essay

Hello all.

Just wanted to update everyone on the essay. As it nears completion, the focus has shifted (as these longform pieces are wont to do) to the relationship between the model and the regular. While I appreciate all of the models who have responded thus far, I wanted to offer up a request for any stories (happy, sad, creepy, etc.) that you all might like to share about your regulars. Again, names can be changed -- I am not out to expose/ruin/generally fuck up anyone's life here. Of the models I am talking to now, their perceptions and experiences with regulars are myriad. I would love to get some more perspectives (either here or in my e-mail) on the model/regular relationship and where the lines are. Also, where the misconceptions happen, e.g. the regular that thinks he is in love with you and vice versa.

Thanks again.
Joshua M. Patton
JoshPatton@aol.com

Miss_Lollipop said:
heh.. do you want to hear about how I fell in love with a regular, and it turned out amazing and I've lived with him now for 2 yrs?

:)

Yes! That sounds like a great story, especially because my readers may think the "regular" is desperate or deluded for thinking he could have a relationship with the model of his dreams. With the inclusion of your experience, that could sway the opinions of skeptical readers. Thank you! Shoot me a message at JoshPatton@aol.com. Also, I would really like to get his input as well. I have interviewed dozens of couples for my larger book-length work and you would be surprised at how their accounts of the same events differ. It's not even that the specifics are inconsistent, but the details of HOW the events are remembered are often so dissimilar I am surprised that it's the same story.

JMP

JMPatton said:
Miss_Lollipop said:
heh.. do you want to hear about how I fell in love with a regular, and it turned out amazing and I've lived with him now for 2 yrs?

Yes! That sounds like a great story, especially because my readers may think the "regular" is desperate or deluded for thinking he could have a relationship with the model of his dreams. With the inclusion of your experience, that could sway the opinions of skeptical readers. Thank you! Shoot me a message at JoshPatton@aol.com. Also, I would really like to get his input as well. I have interviewed dozens of couples for my larger book-length work and you would be surprised at how their accounts of the same events differ. It's not even that the specifics are inconsistent, but the details of HOW the events are remembered are often so dissimilar I am surprised that it's the same story.

JMP
Actually, funny story we get 'regulars' coming and making accounts here asking if it's possible to fall in love with camgirls and we laugh at them even though some board girls have heh. :p

JMPatton said:
Miss_Lollipop said:

JMP

I would not be surprised. This is the same for many couples who meet in more conventional ways. :lol:

Jupiter551 said:
Actually, funny story we get 'regulars' coming and making accounts here asking if it's possible to fall in love with camgirls and we laugh at them even though some board girls have heh. :p

I interviewed exotic dancers for Sex Appeal Magazine a few years ago and it was sort of the same story. The idea of dating a customer is essentially laughable, but every club had one or two girls who have done it. Ironically, most of the relationships fell apart because the guy couldn't handle that "his girl" worked at the club, even though it was where they met. I wonder if there are parallels to that sorrowful tale in the cam world as well.

JMPatton said:
Jupiter551 said:

I interviewed exotic dancers for Sex Appeal Magazine a few years ago and it was sort of the same story. The idea of dating a customer is essentially laughable, but every club had one or two girls who have done it. Ironically, most of the relationships fell apart because the guy couldn't handle that "his girl" worked at the club, even though it was where they met. I wonder if there are parallels to that sorrowful tale in the cam world as well.

of course there are, joshua
it is THE source of all the "i'm not sure what to do" threads on this forum

Hello all.

It's been some time since I posted, but wanted to update everyone who replied on the status of this project. The original essay was unable to find a home and it involved a "cheating" angle that was both out-of-place and, essentially, disproved by my sources. I put it aside and moved on to other things. It was only after reading a NY Times article about MFC--that didn't seem to track all the way with my research--that got me thinking about the good parts of the essay I shelved.

Now that I have some time to devote to an independent project, I plan to repurpose the original stuff (while adding in some new sources) and putting out an extended, longform ebook "single" called Dirty Little Windows. It's going to be distributed for free, because I hope it will generate enough interest to lead to a book deal (this is a place for fantasy, right?).

It should be out in the summer. I am putting out a book trailer (which is apparently a thing people do now) later in the week.

While I have all the sources I need, I do wonder if there are any models who perform shows in public (such as the library, coffee shops, et al.) that would be willing to speak with me. It's become too popular to not include, but I have not been successful in tracking down anyone willing to speak with me who does those type of shows. I am worried that without that firsthand perspective, it will be hard to convince readers that this is anything other than criminal/deviant* behavior.

Still thanks to all who helped in the past. :handgestures-salute:

Best regards,
Joshua M. Patton
www.facebook.com/joshua.m.patton (FB "Author" Page)

*A term I loathe, by the way.

JMPatton said:
Hello all.

It's been some time since I posted, but wanted to update everyone who replied on the status of this project. The original essay was unable to find a home and it involved a "cheating" angle that was both out-of-place and, essentially, disproved by my sources. I put it aside and moved on to other things. It was only after reading a NY Times article about MFC--that didn't seem to track all the way with my research--that got me thinking about the good parts of the essay I shelved.

Now that I have some time to devote to an independent project, I plan to repurpose the original stuff (while adding in some new sources) and putting out an extended, longform ebook "single" called Dirty Little Windows. It's going to be distributed for free, because I hope it will generate enough interest to lead to a book deal (this is a place for fantasy, right?).

It should be out in the summer. I am putting out a book trailer (which is apparently a thing people do now) later in the week.

While I have all the sources I need, I do wonder if there are any models who perform shows in public (such as the library, coffee shops, et al.) that would be willing to speak with me. It's become too popular to not include, but I have not been successful in tracking down anyone willing to speak with me who does those type of shows. I am worried that without that firsthand perspective, it will be hard to convince readers that this is anything other than criminal/deviant* behavior.

Still thanks to all who helped in the past. :handgestures-salute:

Best regards,
Joshua M. Patton
http://www.facebook.com/joshua.m.patton (FB "Author" Page)

*A term I loathe, by the way.

You may (or may not) find this thread to be of some interest. Plenty of arguments both for and against camming in libraries.

https://www.ambercutie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16509&hilit=library

Status
Not open for further replies.