AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Netflix movie CAM

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The most disappointing thing about this movie overall is that it's depicted as a horror film.

It is not.

Thriller, at best. Psychological thriller/drama maybe. Not horror.

I have a short horror story about camming that I've been trying to get published for about a year now. When I saw this movie coming out I was like, "Oh great, now everyone is going to think I copied this Netflix movie."

If it's not actually a horror movie, that's a relief lol

I saw a bunch of models over the last couple days complaining and saying this mocks cam models and is whorephobic and I haven't watched it but was under the understanding that wasn't the case at all and it was made by an ex model.

Did anyone here watch it and find those issues with it?

I saw a bunch of models over the last couple days complaining and saying this mocks cam models and is whorephobic and I haven't watched it but was under the understanding that wasn't the case at all and it was made by an ex model.

Did anyone here watch it and find those issues with it?

No and I've been in sex work activism for a while. I wonder why they felt this way.

There were some moments that I felt show case sex worker issues like when the family found out, sending nudes from the salon, the intensity of the work...

I've watched this movie too many times lol, but in my defense I saw with camgirls first, and then a non-camgirl friend, and then I wanted to watch it by myself. soo I have some thoughts!

1. I think maybe a lot of people aren't familiar with deep fake technology and that part of the film was lost on them? I only discovered it by chance through reddit, so I thought the film was a super fascinating take on technology that I've already been looking into, but a lot of people seemed to think it was an actual doppleganger. They did have her glitch out at times but maybe it should have been explained a bit more for those who aren't aware of deep fake technology. Having said that, I'm kinda glad they didn't explain who was behind it, because it leaves it open to <anonymous internet thing> which is creepier and imo more realistic.

2. I love how much the fake Lola changes over time in a really convincing manner. It seems really believable how her members all thought it was her, even though she was totally different by the end.

3. I'm glad she went back to camming. The only info about the thing that was established was that it was a thing, and that the camsite wasn't responsible for it. That she decided to start over and do what she loves and is good at despite outside forces trying to stop her was awesome and kept the movie from having a "don't be a camgirl" message.

4. I wish she had had more interactions with members she liked. She mentioned one that she got along with off-hand to her friend and it would have been nice to see their interaction and not just the creepy ones.

5. People saying that the main character was vapid and shallow was bizarre to me. She was super into her career, but she had a family she was close to and was mostly just ambitious. She even had personal rules in place to keep from being manipulative, which was cool.

All in all, I loved it and got something else out of it every time. It also definitely inspired me to be the best camgirl version I can be and made me think about my own shows in a new way and I really needed that perspective. ^_^

Also, Isa is a fucking sweetheart and I'm crazy proud of her.

It's hard to believe that women would associate with those guys. But I guess if the money is good then women will put up with stuff. Still seems weird. I bail at the first sense of weirdness and Mr. Whale was someone that I couldn't handle in real life.

But then again, could I hang with a person for money If I detest them, though she detest him in the movie...mannnnn that is a tough question. (Wow, I just went from I wouldn't to I would, LOL).
Everybody's got a price
Everybody's gonna pay
Because the Million Dollar Man...
ALWAYS get his way

(Evil laugh)

ted-dibiase-gif-3.gif

• Funny!
Reactions: n_i_c_u
I just watched the movie and came straight here to see if it was discussed because I wonder what other actual models think about it.

It wasn’t a bad movie, definitely entertaining, weird, but not scary like I think they tried to market it as.

I am absolutely obsessed with the camroom set they had for it though. Such pretty lights and decorations, it looked really good imo

I loveeeddd this movie. I've had to take a break from camming because I have a young baby, and I truly truly miss that world. After seeing this I've been plotting getting a seperate work condo and a part-time nanny, haha, just so I can live this dream again. Her passion was inspiring.

The thriller part made it fun too.

To the poster who mentioned "fake technology", can you explain a little more? Is what happened to her - her digital image being "faked"- actually possible in this current day and age?

The most disappointing thing about this movie overall is that it's depicted as a horror film.

It is not.

Thriller, at best. Psychological thriller/drama maybe. Not horror.

Sorry about that, brought horror over from the link description.
Still only half way myself (damn life), it's been delightful so far, looking forward to the end.

To the poster who mentioned "fake technology", can you explain a little more? Is what happened to her - her digital image being "faked"- actually possible in this current day and age?
You can read about Deepfake here. I have used it myself to replace Han Solo with me in the scene where he shot Greedo and it is a pretty cool piece of technology.

Sorry about that, brought horror over from the link description.
Not your fault, everyone involved in the marketing of the movie is calling it that.

So I just finished watching Girl House (on Amazon Video) after a cam girl recommended it to me. OMG, Girl House is even better than CAM! And unlike CAM, Girl House actually is a horror film. The dude in that movie's fucking crazy!

Reactions: melanieoncam
I am liking that so many actual cam models like this movie. I got a huge belly laugh at the opening scene when Lola is working towards the "Little Bear Cum Show". Little Bear is the pet-name my favourite model calls me (long story that has nothing to do with large hairy gay men). We actually both got a good laugh at that.

A few other observations and comments:
  1. Others have commented on the "suicide shows", but what I found the most disturbing about those scenes is how into it all of the viewers were. Hey, let's go online and bully someone into killing themselves. Like WTF?
  2. I KNEW you models had a secret clubhouse where you all hang out together. I bet you all do Jello shots off of each other stomachs, have nude pudding wrestling matches, and all sorts of other sexy stuff. I am sure with a little more investigating I will learn the secret handshake as well.
  3. The models in the movie sure do seem to meet up with their clients a lot. The one whale dude (forget his name) had been to BabyGirl's house?!? So how many of you models have invited members back to your place? How big of a whale must one be for that to happen?

A few other observations and comments:
The models in the movie sure do seem to meet up with their clients a lot. The one whale dude (forget his name) had been to BabyGirl's house?!? So how many of you models have invited members back to your place? How big of a whale must one be for that to happen?

The chick even had that shit marked down on her calendar (meetup with so and so)...as if it was just another day of hangin' out with a friend. LMAO.

I finally got around to watching this tonight with my boyfriend.
I like how the creature wasn't really defeated in the end. There was no big battle or anything. She outsmarted it and got rid of the one copying her and that was that. It does make me wonder if she is going to warn the other models about it, though.
And did it actually kill Baby? Or did she just happen to die in the midst of the creature copying her? I assume it was just an accident (car crash, right?), but if it somehow was able to influence things outside of the internet that's way more scary.
And just wtf was up with those wimpy ass spanks she was giving herself?! If you're gunna spank yourself, spank yourself dammit!

Reactions: AngelicaVee
@AlexaCrush
And did it actually kill Baby? Or did she just happen to die in the midst of the creature copying her? I assume it was just an accident (car crash, right?),
Why can't I remember what you're referring to here?

@AlexaCrush
Why can't I remember what you're referring to here?
When she's trying to find Baby (I think that was her username, the number one spot chick she was supposed to be camming with) she finds her state and town from the whale who shows her that picture of them outside the hardware store. She looks it up in the bathroom and finds out she died, and later at the library finds out she died in a car accident or something 6 months before. Right after that she finds out Tinker (or whatever sweaty nervous guy is called) is friends with all these other models and goes to his hotel. It kind of gets overshadowed by him being possibly involved and it doesn't get brought up again.

When she's trying to find Baby (I think that was her username, the number one spot chick she was supposed to be camming with) she finds her state and town from the whale who shows her that picture of them outside the hardware store. She looks it up in the bathroom and finds out she died, and later at the library finds out she died in a car accident or something 6 months before. Right after that she finds out Tinker (or whatever sweaty nervous guy is called) is friends with all these other models and goes to his hotel. It kind of gets overshadowed by him being possibly involved and it doesn't get brought up again.
Ohhhhh ok here's how I interpreted that:
How she realized that the fakes were fakes was because she found Baby's obituary and realized it couldn't possibly be actual Baby on cam, but that the death was unrelated to camming.

Ohhhhh ok here's how I interpreted that:
How she realized that the fakes were fakes was because she found Baby's obituary and realized it couldn't possibly be actual Baby on cam, but that the death was unrelated to camming.
True, whatever it was was pretty dumb, it probably wouldn't be smart enough to off someone like that. In my head canon Baby is going through the same thing as Lola but in her panic runs a red light or something and that's how she dies.

Reactions: AmberCutie
I finally got around to watching this tonight with my boyfriend.
I like how the creature wasn't really defeated in the end. There was no big battle or anything. She outsmarted it and got rid of the one copying her and that was that. It does make me wonder if she is going to warn the other models about it, though.
And did it actually kill Baby? Or did she just happen to die in the midst of the creature copying her? I assume it was just an accident (car crash, right?), but if it somehow was able to influence things outside of the internet that's way more scary.
And just wtf was up with those wimpy ass spanks she was giving herself?! If you're gunna spank yourself, spank yourself dammit!
I was saying the same thing! The whole time I was watching I was just critiquing her cam technique. It drove me so crazy when she wasn’t even saying thank you to some of the big tips :haha:

It wasn't just the Ass Spanks that were weak, every aspect of her cam performances were dumbed-down by the director - she even changed her voice to be clumsy and false.

My beef with Cam was the way it portrayed MFC as a grubby little enterprise. Camming has become a medium where beautiful women often deliver and clever and stunning shows, but there was nothing beautiful or artistic in Cam - just slit throats, sweaty stalkers, weak cam shows, bleeding egos, and hideous cam sets of pink and mauve.

Got to remember that the general public knows very little about camming, and this cheesy little Netflix snack by a first time director might be their one and only introduction to the camming scene. Do you think many guys will want to check out MFC after watching that little movie?

It wasn't just the Ass Spanks that were weak, every aspect of her cam performances were dumbed-down by the director - she even changed her voice to be clumsy and false.

My beef with Cam was the way it portrayed MFC as a grubby little enterprise. Camming has become a medium where beautiful women often deliver and clever and stunning shows, but there was nothing beautiful or artistic in Cam - just slit throats, sweaty stalkers, weak cam shows, bleeding egos, and hideous cam sets of pink and mauve.

Got to remember that the general public knows very little about camming, and this cheesy little Netflix snack by a first time director might be their one and only introduction to the camming scene. Do you think many guys will want to check out MFC after watching that little movie?
It’s a horror/thriller.

Want pretty feel good movie about camgirls, don’t watch a horror.
The Camgirlz documentary is great

Reactions: EspiKvlt
Okay, I finally watched it, and I fucking loved it.

I really love any thriller having to do with technology (or horror, or documentary, or anything really, guess I'm a cliche millennial lmao).

But how accurate it was to my experience on MFC was just so wild. I think it really allowed me to put myself in her shoes in a way a non-cam model wouldn't be able to.

It also helped that that girl was literally me. My boyfriend even looked over at me at one point and said, "Why is this girl literally you?"

We look similar, I bite my nails, I also do weird af shows and have a blood fetish. I've jacked off with everything from knives to fake guns. I don't know, man, I really related to her haha

I mean I'd probably want to check it out, just to see if the shows are as extreme as they show haha.
Idk, I thought they did a decent job of showing that the main characters style of show wasn't the only kind you could find (at some point they're clicking through different rooms and you see all sorts of stuff going on). Other than playing up the use of blood and stuff it really didn't seem that far off to me. There are definitely cam girls who use a 'voice' when they're on cam, and while I wasn't a personal fan of the main characters room I don't think I would call it hideous. I mean they could only show so many cam girls/styles, you know?
There were a lot of traps movies like this fall in that this movie evaded; she didn't give up her career for some boyfriend, or discover the 'error of her ways' for being an internet hussy, or get swept away by some wealthy man to start a family. She had a problem and she dealt with it. No dumbass love story or puritan moral to it. It wasn't the best movie on the planet, but I liked it.

It’s a horror/thriller. Want pretty feel good movie about camgirls, don’t watch a horror.

True, this was a horror movie (3 blood-splatter events, bodily mutilation, and a consistent succession of scenes intended to scare), so what did I expect. But remember that a thriller is different than a horror movie. A thriller typically has more character development, more pacing, and subplots that involve other issues... possibly romance, other relationships, etc.

Could compare Cam to the thriller The Bodyguard (Whitney Houston, Kevin Costner). Both films' central characters are performers who are harassed and pursued by a criminal mind. However, The Bodyguard differs from Cam by presenting its central character(Houston) as a talented performer and allows her to deliver many dazzling performances. There's also significant character development for both Houston and Costner's roles that we don't see in Cam. Also, the plot of The Bodyguard doesn't just present one cringe-worthy moment after another, but takes the viewer through a variety of experiences and differing subplots, including romance. I'm still waiting for a quality fiction movie about camming.

How come every cam-related movie is either a browbeating documentary or a horror movie? I'd like to see a nice musical romantic comedy.

Very true, and I think there's definitely room for a clever comedy about camming, although IMO a musical might be pushing it a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.