AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Pacific Rim

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
At first I wasn't particularly interested in this movie, but after seeing the full-length trailer, I think I really will go and see it. Not to mention, I truly do love Charlie Day on Sons of Anarchy, I think he's an excellent actor. So I will definitely be giving this movie a shot.

I'm totally stoked for this! Apparently Guillermo Del Toro saw the episode "Charlie, King of the Rats" and cast him from that role. He's going to be playing that character. :-D

Yeah this is going to be badass.

I'll wear my DayMan shirt In support of Charlie to this movie. I hope there's a midnight release, even if I'm sitting in the theater alone- I don't care.

Reactions: SerenaMoon
Saw this movie over the weekend, over 2 hours long and it didn't feel long enough at all. It's been quite sometime that I've been this excited after a movie. Please, do yourself a favor and go see it.

Reactions: KayleePond
I just watched Pacific Rim, yesterday I loved it. Guillermo Del Toro's attention to detail is amazing to me.
From the distressed look of the Jaegers to the look of cities, especially Hong Kong and how the people made use of the dead Kaiju. Also you may find this funny. The whole time I saw Charlie Hunnam on the screen I was wondering where I have I seen this guy before? Then when Ron Perlman come on screen I am like :woops: Sons of Anarchy!
And I think a lot of credit should go to Charlie Day some of his scenes where hilarious!
And last Rinko Kikuchi's cuteness factor.

SPOILERS
I saw it at the first showing on Friday. Fun enough movie with a lot of action. Basically I think someone had a few drinks and said to themselves 'Self, I'd really like to see Rock'em Sock'em Robots fight Godzilla and Mothra to the death, how can I make that happen?' SPOILERS

And thus Pacific Rim was born.
SPOILERS

I think i've said the word SPOILERS enough now so if you are still reading you should know better.

The main thing that annoyed me was one bit of stupidity. They had been fighting the first big beastie, hitting it, shooting it with that plasma gun repeatedly and it was not killing it. WAY later they whip out the Voltron sword that just slices right through them. One gets gutted like a fish and another gets stabbed clean through. Uhm, hello?!? You've got a choice between a weapon that takes a dozen direct hits to do anything or one that cuts em in half in a single swipe. Why were they messing around? That part was disconcerting me a bit.

SPOILERS

The sword was the addition to the Jager they made 5 years later that he did not know about- There was a brief mention of it but if you missed it you missed it, which is why he thought they were all out of options and never went to it from the get go in the beginning of the Hong Kong fight. This was her first ever real life battle in a Jager, riding with a person that had gone on countless missions and one of two only people to man a Jager by himself, could be intimidating and felt that she'd let him run things. AND then after he realized they had a chain sword to use he went all WE HAVE A SWWWWWOOOORRRRDDDD! and used it a ton more.

side note: I'm happy they kept the sword a little secret, that sequence where first the monster grew wings which brought me to shout "Oh, Jesus Christ!" in the theaters followed by the sword was just incredibly pleasing to me.

i saw this movie well in advance of it coming out of job purposes, and i thought that this movie was incredible, finally making mecha and kaiju relevant again. there have been a bunch of great movies this summer but i think this one is by far the best of all of them. Finally now maybe toho will make another fucking godzilla film! that would be great. and yes i already know theres another american godzilla film coming, not what im asking for.

Reactions: VeronicaChaos
im super excited for the worlds end, the last time that we may ever see edgar wright direct a film with simon pegg and nick frost which is disappointing and exciting at the same time.

I was only mildly interested in Pacific Rim before going to see it. But I am glad I did go.
It was such a FUN movie. I feel like it was the perfect mix between plot and awesome fights (although I would have enjoyed more epic battles, and more screen time for the other Jager pilots).

I loved it! Charlie Day was of course amazing. The battle scenes were epic as fuck. I saw it in 3D and the effects were awesome.

That said...

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

I wish that it would have ended with the monsters winning and destroying the entire world. That would have been an amazing sight!

VeronicaChaos said:
I loved it! Charlie Day was of course amazing. The battle scenes were epic as fuck. I saw it in 3D and the effects were awesome.

That said...

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

I wish that it would have ended with the monsters winning and destroying the entire world. That would have been an amazing sight!

So, what you're saying you wish Joss Whedon directed it? :lol:

Seriously it would've been awesome.

SweepTheLeg said:
SPOILERS

The sword was the addition to the Jager they made 5 years later that he did not know about- There was a brief mention of it but if you missed it you missed it, which is why he thought they were all out of options and never went to it from the get go in the beginning of the Hong Kong fight. This was her first ever real life battle in a Jager, riding with a person that had gone on countless missions and one of two only people to man a Jager by himself, could be intimidating and felt that she'd let him run things. AND then after he realized they had a chain sword to use he went all WE HAVE A SWWWWWOOOORRRRDDDD! and used it a ton more.

side note: I'm happy they kept the sword a little secret, that sequence where first the monster grew wings which brought me to shout "Oh, Jesus Christ!" in the theaters followed by the sword was just incredibly pleasing to me.

The reason I love this movie is that it is, as Mr. Pond put it "a live-action giant robot anime". I don't think I would have loved it as much if I was not a big anime fan however it is RIDDLED with awesome tropes from the genre (specifically giant robot anime) and looking at it from that point of view makes it amazing. The sword is a great example because there is always a kind of ridiculous sword even though it should not actually be as efficient a weapon as it is, and there is ALWAYS some sort of "surprise" final thing that somehow makes them more powerful. So I would say that it is making excellent use of the trope.

There are a lot of things I enjoy about the movie much, much more looking at it from this point of view. There have been complaints about certain aspects and I agree with them, but then feel it is more true to anime culture as it is and I do not think I would choose to change it.

Also, I am pretty fucking pumped about a male and female main character who are not love interests and end the movie as becoming really good friends. FUCK YES GUYS.

KayleePond said:
Also, I am pretty fucking pumped about a male and female main character who are not love interests and end the movie as becoming really good friends. FUCK YES GUYS.

Oh, they'll be getting it on! Yeah. :mrgreen:

JerryBoBerry said:
KayleePond said:

I hope not! It is a far, far better movie if it is not a love story.

Slate.com Article said:
Director del Toro has said explicitly that he and his collaborators decided not to have Pacific Rim include a love story.

Guillermo seems pretty dead-set on keeping it platonic but I suppose we will see if he is swayed if they push for a sequel. It would be really disappointing if they took it there.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/20 ... story.html

http://www.themarysue.com/del-toro-stro ... cific-rim/

Reactions: adorkabelle
KayleePond said:
JerryBoBerry said:
KayleePond said:

I hope not! It is a far, far better movie if it is not a love story.

I'm old fashioned. Beat the aliens, save the world, bang a hot chick. All these things make for a happy ending. :lol:

At my theater I had to decide between normal size but in 3D or ultra screen but only 2D, my friend was waffling but I said this is a type of movie you need to see in 3D and afterwards he couldn't agree more and could only imagine how different it would have felt only seeing this in 2D. I had high HIGH expectations and it surpassed them so much. Since seeing it i've done nothing but tell everyone who hasn't seen it yet to go, and those who have seen it to see it again.

I do wish the russian and chinese Jaegers were allowed to show what they could really do, I do understand why their fight was so short. At least I think I do. Their fight took place a short while after Charlie's character drifted with the monster's secondary brain so the aliens got all of his thoughts and memories including the Jaeger and their weaknesses and BOOM you got yourself a monster with an EMP. I wouldn't have minded another 10 minutes to that fight but I can live with hearing about how impressive they both were leading up to the Jaeger program being shut down.

I loved when the level 5 showed up and how that was shot. It kept rising and rising and rising, very impressive of how they made it just look insanely big compared to what we were used to. I also love how even though all of these robots and monsters were that the action was easy to tell what was going on instead of having to squint and still wonder what I was looking at.

I don't know if this was a platonic or a eventual love relationship, I think they did a good job of allowing people read into what they wanted it to be.

SweepTheLeg said:
At my theater I had to decide between normal size but in 3D or ultra screen but only 2D, my friend was waffling but I said this is a type of movie you need to see in 3D and afterwards he couldn't agree more and could only imagine how different it would have felt only seeing this in 2D. I had high HIGH expectations and it surpassed them so much. Since seeing it i've done nothing but tell everyone who hasn't seen it yet to go, and those who have seen it to see it again.

I just never got into 3D movies. I wear glasses so their glasses don't fit the best over mine. It leaves the corners of the screen blurry or just get cut off all together by the plastic frames. So I have to constantly move my head around to see the entire screen. Also, most movies aren't filmed in 3d, they're post converted. Pacific Rim is an example of that. This leaves the movie darker than seeing it in the way it was filmed, in 2D. Add to that most movies that post convert just add a few ridiculous scenes of 3D'ness to say it's in 3D and charge you and extra $3 for glasses. Thor was an example of that. Stupidest 3D i've ever watched. A few flakes of ashes blowing around and maybe a scene of them walking along in the desert. That entire movie should never have been touted as 3D.

Add all that up and I just have no desire to ever waste my money on 3D. I'm honestly glad there's a projected decline in 3D sales. I would hate for that to be the only choice. I would pretty much be done with movie theaters if that happened.

This film did a great job with a 3D, normally I don't care about 3D and it comes off as a gimmick but I think this film is worth it. I'd have been paying the same amount either small screen 3d or 2d but bigger screen.

KayleePond said:
VeronicaChaos said:

That said...

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

So, what you're saying you wish Joss Whedon directed it? :lol:

Seriously it would've been awesome.

SweepTheLeg said:
SPOILERS

The reason I love this movie is that it is, as Mr. Pond put it "a live-action giant robot anime". I don't think I would have loved it as much if I was not a big anime fan however it is RIDDLED with awesome tropes from the genre (specifically giant robot anime) and looking at it from that point of view makes it amazing. The sword is a great example because there is always a kind of ridiculous sword even though it should not actually be as efficient a weapon as it is, and there is ALWAYS some sort of "surprise" final thing that somehow makes them more powerful. So I would say that it is making excellent use of the trope.

There are a lot of things I enjoy about the movie much, much more looking at it from this point of view. There have been complaints about certain aspects and I agree with them, but then feel it is more true to anime culture as it is and I do not think I would choose to change it.

I'm glad you mentioned the sword! Having been a fan of "Giant Robot Anime" since I was very small (Reideen the Brave, anyone?) The reveal of 'the sword' really did it for me! As soon as it was revealed My mouth dropped open in disbelief. Del Toro made it work. It totally reminded me of the "Progressive Knife" in Neon Genesis Evangelion"!

I do have to say, that after I watched it a second time, I feel it's a very niche movie. I absolutely adore it. That may have to do with the fact that I love the Anime genre as well as japanese kaiju films. Here's hoping for some kind of animated show about the early days of the Kaiju wars.

i havent seem this yet but i would like to go see it soon, it looks good to me

MY GOODNESS I love that movie so much! Especially that it has big robots in it! (same as Transformers )
I saw it on IMAX 3D... the whole movie my heart raced like crazy. And I almost broke my cousin's hand from squeezing :lol:
I wish for more movies with robots :icon-cry:

Reactions: Red7227 and hapa74
Just watched this on Bluray. Awesome movie. And the second disc is full of stuff. One being a slowdown of Drift scenes, with background for the characters. Which does end up saying Raleigh and Mako end up together. But the ILM feature is pretty awesome... two words "grandma folds."

Just picked up a copy on Bluray this morning & saw the film for the first time.

OH. YEAH.

Best part was, I was able to score a copy with the 3D disc included, so if I ever spring for that level of home theater gear, I'm set... :D

This movie takes the Transformers formula and turns it up to 11. Basically, they put the entire fucking budget into special effects, and neglected everything else. The movie was beautiful, but not one A-list actor, and the script was abysmally bad, even worse than the Transformers movies. I literally felt dumber after watching all of the forced relationships in the movie, like between the two lead characters, or between the two scientists.

But if you can turn your brain off for two hours, it's a very fun ride.

Reactions: AmberCutie
Status
Not open for further replies.