AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Popular and Common Expressions/Sayings in Your Country

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 12, 2017
UK
Just an hour or 2 ago, I was speaking with a model who is not in the same country as me (she is Russian) and I made a comment using a phrase that is common here in England (anyone who sees it will know what it means and when/how to use it) but to anyone unfamiliar with it, either take it literally or they are simply very confused by it.

The phrase/expression I said:
"I'm going to see a man about a dog"

This is a humorous way to either say "brb I am going to the toilet" OR it's also commonly used to just say "brb" but you don't want or need to disclose what it is you're going to do or where you're going (it could be something else personal, or anything).

We had a little conversation about expressions, and I thought of another one that is VERY typically British, or at least I personally think it is and I am sure you will too.
"A sandwich short of a picnic"

This can either mean someone who has a lack of common sense, or simply, someone who is stupid.

So it got me wondering, what expressions do you have in your own country that may be confusing and weird to other countries?

In some parts of Scotland "Breeks" means underpants.
Thanks for explaining the dog one.
I might have banned someone for that, that didn't deserve a ban, because I would have assumed they were trying to say something sexually untoward about an animal.

Reactions: NotYou
Just an hour or 2 ago, I was speaking with a model who is not in the same country as me (she is Russian) and I made a comment using a phrase that is common here in England (anyone who sees it will know what it means and when/how to use it) but to anyone unfamiliar with it, either take it literally or they are simply very confused by it.

The phrase/expression I said:
"I'm going to see a man about a dog"

This is a humorous way to either say "brb I am going to the toilet" OR it's also commonly used to just say "brb" but you don't want or need to disclose what it is you're going to do or where you're going (it could be something else personal, or anything).

I've seen some people say "I'm going to see a man about a horse," and I never knew wtf that meant. LOL. I could've sworn my sister posted it on Facebook recently, and I just thought it was just some weird way of saying she's on her way to get some dick? :giggle: So I decided to look it up on Urban Dictionary, and it's showing a few different meanings:

I lived in London for several years (loved it) and worked construction alongside some great characters, including Irish, Kiwis and plenty of local Cockneys.
Even now I sometimes drop the odd word or phrase that I picked up along the way.

'What's the craic?' (Irish) means 'How's it going/what's up?'
'Sink a pot' (Australia, QLD) means 'Have a beer'
'Load the chilly bin' (NZ) means 'Fill up the drinks cooler'
'Me Gregory ain't half giving me gyp' (Cockney) means 'My neck is sore'
and for the Scots 'Cludgie' is 'restroom'

Along the way I picked up some really strange catchphrases from popular UK TV shows that were constantly on repeat (the BBC is probably still showing them right now), like:

"Don't be a plonker all your life" - from Only Fools and Horses
"They don't like it up 'em" - from Dad's Army

Good times, if a little uncertain in the meaning :)

We had a little conversation about expressions, and I thought of another one that is VERY typically British, or at least I personally think it is and I am sure you will too.
"A sandwich short of a picnic"

This can either mean someone who has a lack of common sense, or simply, someone who is stupid.
Many of the general / standard British ones will be common to Australians also, or at least Australians of a certain age.
A (few) sandwich(es) short of a picnic is known here, we also have:-

A few kangaroos loose in the top paddock.
A few strawberries short of a punnet.
Not the brightest crayon in the pencil case.
Not the sharpest tool in the shed.
As sharp as bowling ball.

Another that I gather that is unknown outside of Oz (and maybe NZ)

Is to have/give/get "the shits". And no it has nothing to do with gastric issues.

Merely means annoyance.

"Don't give me the shits" = "Please do not continue to do that annoying thing that you are doing"
"She got the shits with me" = "She became upset with me" (perhaps for example when I trimmed my toenails at the dining room table)

Many of the general / standard British ones will be common to Australians also, or at least Australians of a certain age.
A (few) sandwich(es) short of a picnic is known here, we also have:-

A few kangaroos loose in the top paddock.
A few strawberries short of a punnet.
Not the brightest crayon in the pencil case.
Not the sharpest tool in the shed.
As sharp as bowling ball.
A few more common sayings from where I am:
Not rowing with both oars in the water
Not playing with a full deck
Couple of cans short of a 6-pack
Dumber than a bag full of hammers

Reactions: Ozzie_
I've always liked rhyming slang, Australia has its own. The rhyming part comes from the unsaid second part... in @rockin_rod 's example of "Gregory" being neck it is of course:- Gregory Peck... neck.

I was surprised when learning that calling someone a dropkick is actually rhyming slang. I always thought it just meant an idiot or a fool. But it is apparently short for "Dropkick and punt". So if someone is a dropkick.. they are a:- dropkick and punt...

;)

• Funny!
Reactions: rockin_rod
i'm from pittsburgh/western pa. our dialect and regional slang have been dubbed pittsburgese. we won the ugliest accent in a gawker poll and it made the front page news. kid you not. i giggle everytime someone says my accent is sexy. most people aware of the area know where i'm from once i say "yins" instead of "you guys" or "y'all."

when you get ready for company -"red up"'
all jerks and assholes are jagoffs
it's not slippery, slippy.
all moving bodies of water are cricks. we have lots of creeks in the area. i've heard people call the OHIO RIVER- the ohio crick.
i'm not sure if this is still a thing, but we have lots of street parking. lots of the homes/infrastructure were built before cars became a household item. after a bunch of snow, it's pretty normal to see a bunch of "parking chairs" in shoveled-out spaces so no neighbors take your spot. parking chairs are usually foldable chair.

we tend to slur our words together. my dad was recently taught speech to text, and it takes a minute to decipher or makes zero sense. my husband has always tried to correct a word i say weird, and i usually can't tell the difference. no one in my family can properly say my husband's very common name.

examples:
zaksame -exact same
dahtahn - downtown
arn - iron
tahl- towel
inaaht - in or out
still - steel
iantigl - giant eagel (local grocery store chain)
owl- aisle

Oh, well, so many. It's always fascinating to see how many idioms and expressions are just the same in different languages, to the point that they are the litteral translation, whereas others just don't have any equivalent and, if asked, you just can't possibly translate them.
For instance If i tell you "in(to) the wolf's mouth" or "in(to) the whale's ass", take no offence, I mean no harm, I'm just saying: "break a leg!". Btw, to the first you are supposed to reply something like may the wolf die, to the latter - less forma l-, let's hope it won't shit.

• Funny!
Reactions: Ozzie_ and NotYou
For some reason my whole yahoo news feed is about Kim Kardashian and Pete Davidson.

So I had to google BDE last night. And apparently iIt means "Big Dick Energy".

Pete Davidson is rumored to have major BDE. (That was an example of it's use in a sentence).
Sidenote; I actually found time to watch some Pete Davidson comedy last night for the first time ever. He's funny as fuck haha.

• Helpful!
Reactions: Just_A_Guy
"I am (we are) not here to fuck spiders!" = "Yes let's do it" "that's what I am here for"

e.g. "Thanks for coming over to give me a hand with the renovation. Should we start knocking the wall down?"

"Well.. yeah! I'm not here to fuck spiders!"

"I am (we are) not here to fuck spiders!" = "Yes let's do it" "that's what I am here for"

e.g. "Thanks for coming over to give me a hand with the renovation. Should we start knocking the wall down?"

"Well.. yeah! I'm not here to fuck spiders!"

I understand why all of your expressions are so weird now.. I read an article a few days ago that said Australia consumes the most alcohol per annum... sooooooo... lol makes a lot more sense now.

Let me know if anywhere else has these or slightly different variations:

"It's raining cats and dogs"
(I think i read ages ago something about this being a phrase because in older times, cats and dogs would fall through roofs that were made of straw. It may be wrong, and/or i may be remembering it wrong. I want it to be right because it kind of makes sense, right? lol)

"good old chinwag"
(a good[ and usually long] chat)

• Funny!
Australian slang is like a language in itself :)

"What do you call this, a block of flats?" - when pointing out the obvious and the other person can't seem to see it

"chuck a sickie" - have a sick day off work when you arent sick, a mental health day, or you just can't be bothered and want a day off from work
"chuck that over there" - throw/put that item at the designated location (chuck a prawn on the barbie)
PS - we don't call them 'shrimp'

"mate" - used to refer to everyone, universal word for everyone regardless of gender (Hi mate / Hey Mate how are you? / G'day Mate etc)

we can also call people "c*nts" as a term of affection.
For example, "Gday ya f**king c*nt, how the f*ck are ya?" - this isn't said necessarily in public (but can be) and is actually said with affection towards the intended target.
This would be typically between guys, you wouldn't say this necessarily to a woman, unless she was considered one of the blokes.

"Fair Dinkum" - can be used to express your truthfulness when someone questions you. Can be used for emphasis when you are trying to prove that you are correct.

"Bloody Oath" - similar to wtf

"Okker" - true blue australian, being called okker (or ocker) means you are an Australian through and through

"My shout" - I will buy/pay this for you, often heard in Pubs when buying beer for your friends

"Have a crack" - to try it and have a go at doing something

"Dodgy" - someone is acting in a suspicious way or something is broken and isn't working quite correctly as expected or you are feeling unwell
- "that guy looks dodgy"
- "my car is a bit dodgy today"
- "feeling rather dodgy today"

And every single word that can be abbreviated, we do it. And if we can shorten your name, we will.
Good luck with translating these - Macca's, Arvo, Uuey, Servo, Brekkie, Chippy, Truckie, Uni, Uggie, Woolies, Bikie, Tanty, Ciggie, Ambo, Copper, Povo (just to name a few!)

For example,
Bloody oath mate, that car is a dodgy as. You should chuck a Uuey and head back to the servo and get them c*nts to fix it before the Copper's catch you and chuck a notice on that bomb. The servo is just next to Macca's and the bottlo. Get me some durries while ya there and i'll shout you to some tinnies when ya get back.

Status
Not open for further replies.