AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Possible Virus sent by Model

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 16, 2013
I have just been informed that there's a model on MFC sending out PMs (wasn't sure if I should post her name) to other models saying she recorded you, asks if you want to see it and provides you with a link. If you click the link, you will automatically download a video.rar Not sure the extent of damage opening the file would do but just avoid downloading it.

I know a model who already contacted MFC about it. I hope the model's account wasn't hacked.

Reactions: Jillybean
PunkInDrublic said:
A rar file? haha wow how retro.
How is that retro? How does it differ from a zip file? :? (Generally speaking, all viruses aside)

LilyMarie said:
How is that retro? How does it differ from a zip file? :? (Generally speaking, all viruses aside)
Just a really old way of trying to get shit onto someones computer.

A RAR file isn't much different from a ZIP file, and it's a newer format than ZIP. It's used mostly to share large files, since it's easy to split the file into multiple parts, and can be made to include recovery data. It was more frequently used for file sharing than ZIP on Usenet, where it was common for files to be incomplete, specifically because of the recovery option.

A RAR file isn't inherently more dangerous than a ZIP.

schlmoe said:
Usenet? Now THAT'S retro!

Usenet has actually returned from retirement and is currently very widely used by an upper class of digital pirates who are tired of getting infringement notices from using Bittorrent. Most big files shared on Usenet are .rar'ed and split before being run through a redundancy algorithm.

bawksy said:
schlmoe said:
Usenet? Now THAT'S retro!

Usenet has actually returned from retirement and is currently very widely used by an upper class of digital pirates who are tired of getting infringement notices from using Bittorrent. Most big files shared on Usenet are .rar'ed and split before being run through a redundancy algorithm.
couldn't agree more. had a usenet account since before the world wide web was even invented. Still use it today. For bulk downloading of files it is still way better than any other option out there. Also I use it for 'actual' chatting. There's thousands of groups that don't actually deal with binary files so chatting about various subjects is still popular. Want to talk gardening, mountain biking, woodworking....whatever. There's most likely already a group devoted to it with people posting messages.

Places like giganews and astraweb are doing brisk business. Astraweb for example maintains popularity [among people doing illegal downloading especially] because they keep absolutely no records of what is uploaded or downloaded. Add to that fact they allow for SSL encrypted transmissions so your isp can't monitor what is being sent (add a vpn for even more security). So it's one of the more anonymous things still on the internet.

Jessi said:
Just as a note to everyone,

1) Don't click on random links from random people
2) Don't turn on auto-download settings in your browser. Just don't do that.

How do you know if the auto-download thing is on or not? :?

AngelicTease said:
How do you know if the auto-download thing is on or not? :?

For Chrome Users

Click the 3 bars to the top-right of chrome (used to be a wrench) and click Settings
in the new window, click Show advanced settings (at the bottom) look for Downloads and then tick the tickbox beside Ask where to save each file before downloading

For firefox, if i go to the original link, it shows the pop-up rather than auto-downloading, nice work firefox :)

Status
Not open for further replies.