AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Random wifi vent

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 8, 2019
Wonderland
Twitter Username
@kodakosmos
MFC Username
KodaKosmos
My wifi is being wonky on my computer for some reason and only connecting to one of the 4 wifi networks that we have (and the one it is connecting to is the spottiest)
I'm excited to start camming but don't want to do it with spotty connection
I've tried everything
Ok rant over lol

It's always better if you can do a hardwire connection instead of wifi. While it limits your ability to move some, it's a much better connection. Especially if you have an older router or computer.

Four WiFi networks? For what purpose? They're probably interfering with another.

I'm guessing it's:
Internal 2 GHz
Internal 5 GHz

Guest 2 GHz
Guest 5 GHz

Normally, the guest is shut down by default. But, not always. Depends upon the router.

My computer only uses 2 ghz and the other networks are running 5 ghz so I'm unable to access them :/ believe me I've tried lol
I'm probably going to need to get a new laptop lol my laptop is very old
Currently working on that !

Considering the bandwidth only, 2,4 GHz is far enough to stream and not worst than a cord, as being higher than most of optical fiber speeds (the router still lower down the bandwidth in this case).
Also, if you just think of privacy or security when you say that you don't like using the spot point, there is no more security using the internal one, it's just the same^^.

But :
- a 'spot' connection will not reserve you any priority on an internal connection, so you can loose bandwidth this way, but rarely on streaming : 'Up' bandwidth is rarely used.
- a low power WiFi signal can be lost from time to time, and on this point only, a cord will help more for a constant stream.
- as said, if you move a lot, you risk to be in silent spaces from time to time, and OK a cord helps much.
But then, using 5 GHz can fill up faster the lacks due to disconnections to the router and hide them on the stream.

So, if you can catch a good powerful WiFi signal (and the external USB can help) don't be 'ashamed' to stream on WiFi : )

See your router adjustments too.
They usually propose you to choose the channel.
Sometimes, only by changing of channel, you can occupy a less used space in you neighborhood and so have a nicer signal.
(ie all your neighbors use channels 8 & 11, then change to channel 3)
You'll find easily apps (mainly on smartphone) to scan the WiFi signals and make an idea of this.

and maybe, look also for additional WiFi router : less easy to configure, but a WiFi router can be tuned to connect to your router using WiFi and so provide you eth ports to connect to your setup (PC, cam, etc...) using cords. Installing it in a good reception point in your room can permit you to move around with the cables.

Status
Not open for further replies.