AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Republican Senators Want to Permit ISPs to Sell Data

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They basically want to monitor and track every thing you do online. And then sell that info to any one who will buy it.

Lets say you skype with me. I get your IP. I now go to a data broker, pay 10 bucks. I now know every website your household visits, along with stats, how often you visit, how long you stay, what pages and images you viewed. That might include driving instructions on google maps. Or any thing you have ever searched online for.

But it's just not me who can do this. This could be a potential employer, law enforcement looking for probable cause or motive, movie companies looking to sue for piracy, your medical provider trying to figure out your rates and premiums.

Last edited:

Seriously it's fucked up.

We're so fucked. What happens when you vote in a dark horse candidate to get away from politics as usual and find out he's way worse than the guys you were trying to get away from in the first place. Not only are we immediately fucked, we're fucked for the foreseeable future.

Some random dude has set up a crowdfunding campaign to allow him to purchase the web browsing history of the members of Congress who voted for this (surprise! they were all Republicans; no Democrats), and make the data publicly searchable. He's gather over $100K already. This is just about perfect justice, but I'm not sure how he would go about buying such data, especially of his intentions were known.

http://player.theplatform.com/p/7wvmTC/MSNBCEmbeddedOffSite?guid=n_hayes_t1t2congressbrowsing_170329

Also, Interesting article on how using encryption (HTTPS) doesn't give complete protection. Traffic volumes and patterns can still reveal what you're viewing.

Reactions: swagger
Another horrifying point: it cannot be repealed.
Another consequence of the repeal is that your ISP is no longer required to warn you if your data has been breached, nor are they required to take reasonable measures to protect your data. Additionally, because of the Congressional Review Act, the repeal cannot be repealed.

“Once a rule is thus repealed, the CRA also prohibits the reissuing of the rule in substantially the same form or the issuing of a new rule that is substantially the same, “unless the reissued or new rule is specifically authorized by a law enacted after the date of the joint resolution disapproving the original rule.”

All the more reason for a VPN.
Bothersome to me is that over the last 6 months or so, some of the logins I had quit allowing me to log in through the vpn. One of them is completely understandable, but idk...

The other day, got told to leave an IRC channel I have been going to for a while for using one. Serious topic, never really seen a lot of trolling, always just said hello and mostly kept quiet. Wasn't even conversating, just listening.

Reactions: Tilly
Bothersome to me is that over the last 6 months or so, some of the logins I had quit allowing me to log in through the vpn. One of them is completely understandable, but idk...

The other day, got told to leave an IRC channel I have been going to for a while for using one. Serious topic, never really seen a lot of trolling, always just said hello and mostly kept quiet. Wasn't even conversating, just listening.

Yeah, I've been seeing this a lot lately. None of which I thought was understandable.

Yep; that's what The Pirate Bay keeps telling me every time I go there ;)

Do you have any recommendations for VPN providers? The only VPNs I've used have been employer-owned.

This NY Times article, What the Repeal of Online Privacy Protections Means for You, discusses VPNs and lists several recommended VPN providers:

What can I do to safeguard my online data?
Many privacy advocates say this a good time to consider investing in a virtual private network, or VPN. A VPN is a tunnel that shields your browsing information from your internet service provider and allows you to appear as if you are in a different location.

However, a VPN isn’t a foolproof solution. A VPN service is also tied to a service provider, meaning a VPN provider could also share your information with the service provider if it wanted to, said Runa Sandvik, a director of information security for The New York Times.
In other words, you will have to pick a VPN provider that has a strong privacy policy and take a leap of faith.

Which VPN should I get?
Ms. Sandvik recommended Freedome by F-Secure and said TunnelBear was another popular option.

The Wirecutter, the product recommendations site owned by The New York Times, highlighted a service called Private Internet Access.

Last edited:

Whats the other site that wouldnt let you in?

Well, it's law now. Trump signed it--behind closed doors:
http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/trump-signs-measure-undermining-internet-privacy-safeguards

The new GOP policy is not at all popular, and other than the industry’s corporate lobbyists, no one seemed to actually want this change. And yet, congressional Republicans and the Trump White House agreed to make this an early 2017 priority.
. . . .
If you’re looking for pictures of the president signing this measure into law, however, you won’t find any – which is itself a notable departure from Trump’s usual m.o.

As a rule, Trump, obsessed with “optics” and the appearance of work, likes to put on a show when signing bills or executive orders. This White House takes stagecraft very seriously, and officials don’t like to pass up opportunities showing the president “getting things done.”

When Trump signed legislation expanding gun access for the mentally impaired [wtf?!?, smh], he did so behind closed doors. The same is true when Trump revoked federal guidelines “specifying that transgender students have the right to use public school restrooms that match their gender identity.”

No cameras, no ceremony, no tweets, no carefully chosen [old, white, male] Americans to stand by the president’s desk. It’s hard not to get the impression that Team Trump knows when the public won’t like what the president is up to.

Yep. The whole thing is disgusting and awful. I use Private Internet Access and it performs well enough, though I would be interested in other VPN recommendations.

I am a pretty moderate person but I about retched when the Cheezdoodle got elected. Even after, I was optimistic, like, "Okay. He appealed to populism and there are enough governmental checks to keep things from going absolutely tits up. Maybe it won't be a big deal and he will shake things up enough to cause some change in the status quo."

Ha, nope.

The amount of nepotism and corruption is absolutely appalling. It just seems like he can't think for himself and accepts everything Ryan and his other advisors feed to him. Not to mention the Russian scandals. Every news story regarding the WH over the last few months has been frustrating and disheartening. I certainly didn't vote Trump but I wanted to think he'd be more judicious given his impassioned stances.

It's absolutely shameful that the American public are being sold out to the highest bidder but who can be surprised at this point. The worst part is the misinformation circulating, keeping people believing Trump supports conservation when he absolutely shredded the National Park Service because he donated his check, just as a tip of the iceberg example.

God dammit America, I love you. Let's shake things up in 2018.

This is like the complete opposite of making America great again. I can't believe that a politician lied to all of us.

I can't believe The Orange One, of all politicians, lied to all of us! :bigtears:

Seriously, this is one of those pieces of legislation that Trump signed simply because it was placed in front of him. The bill probably had one of those red "Sign here" sticky arrows. I doubt that he understood the substance and implications of the bill beyond the fact that it was a nice gift to big telecom companies.

So, this will be added to the list of Trump's legislative achievements, along with such masterpieces of statecraft as "H.R.1362 - An Act to name the Department of Veterans Affairs community-based outpatient clinic in Pago Pago, American Samoa, the Faleomavaega Eni Fa'aua'a Hunkin VA Clinic."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.