AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Session "Goals" in Topics

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
PlayboyMegan said:
HarmlessSquirrel said:
Okay, the thread's a few days old, but I'm interested in how people look at numbers, so I'm going to post anyway.

First off, why do so many models want to end up with a round number of tokens for the day? If you get a little bit *more* than a round number, isn't that a little bit better than that round number? It's a bit more money in your pocket. I don't see how that isn't a positive.
Of course no model cares if she gets more than her rounded up number. But if I made 5987tokens, I'm going to ask for 13 tokens just to make it even, but I don't care if they tip 14 or more. I guess it's just a way to make a few extra tokens.

Actually I've run across a few models who do care, and one who cares a huge amount. An OCD thing. She'll sometimes log off very quickly upon reaching a round number just to prevent anyone from "messing up" her number.

Always_Tim said:
PlayboyMegan said:
HarmlessSquirrel said:
Okay, the thread's a few days old, but I'm interested in how people look at numbers, so I'm going to post anyway.

First off, why do so many models want to end up with a round number of tokens for the day? If you get a little bit *more* than a round number, isn't that a little bit better than that round number? It's a bit more money in your pocket. I don't see how that isn't a positive.
Of course no model cares if she gets more than her rounded up number. But if I made 5987tokens, I'm going to ask for 13 tokens just to make it even, but I don't care if they tip 14 or more. I guess it's just a way to make a few extra tokens.

Actually I've run across a few models who do care, and one who cares a huge amount. An OCD thing. She'll sometimes log off very quickly upon reaching a round number just to prevent anyone from "messing up" her number.
I'm sure they're much more rare, though. :)

Always_Tim said:
PlayboyMegan said:
HarmlessSquirrel said:

The other reason aside from OCD, is that it's easier to tell how much you're earning if there's a zero at the end and the second number is even.

4560 tokens / 20 = 456 / 2 = $228

see what I did there?

AND, if you're not dealing with change, then you don't have to worry about "do I round up or down?" when you find the percentage for your taxes, because the worst you'll deal with is the one's place of change, and not have to deal with something like $12.362

LadyLuna said:
The other reason aside from OCD, is that it's easier to tell how much you're earning if there's a zero at the end and the second number is even.

see what I did there?

Yeah, I see what you did there.... you made a mistake :icon-lol:
Highly uncharacteristic, Miss Math.

Duane Dibbley said:
LadyLuna said:

see what I did there?

What is the mistake?

Edit - in case you are confused, she is showing they both come out to 228 but that its easier to drop the 0 and divide by 2 instead of dividing the whole amount by 20.

Always_Tim said:
PlayboyMegan said:
HarmlessSquirrel said:

You can guarantee that's an invitation for disobedient regulars to offline tip a bit.

Just saw this. Gotta throw in my irrelevant opinion.

To broach the subject of session goals in and of itself is not off-putting to me. It all has to do in the manner in which it is done.

As far as that being the published room topic, as the OP was talking about, that is a bit tacky, in my opinion. This opinion being in a vacuum, without taking circumstance into account.

If I, as a member, come into a room for the first time and topic is XX tokens to reach my goal, then I........crap let's be honest, I usually check room topics before I ever enter a strange room. If that's the topic, I'm not even going there. (As an aside, if there is NO topic, skipping that one too. Just FYI.) I just like to know a little bit about what's going on before I even get there. But I don't know what has happened in the room the previous hour, 3 hours, 6 hours, 10 minutes, 30 seconds. So I have no context. Therefore, for this one member, having that in your room topic is not a good thing.

As far as mentioning that you need XX tokens to reach session goal, that is an entirely different dynamic. If you say it or type and I hear/read it, obviously I am at least in the room. Therefore I have context. I may or may not be receptive to hearing/reading that you need so much to make your goal. That is situation dependent. With several variables: How well do I know the model? How is the message conveyed? How is it interpreted, i.e., begging or reminding? Some of the replies have covered all of this from the model's point of view. This is just one member's perspective.

I will leave with an example of how the subject can be broached without anyone feeling pressured/put off. And again, this is just me.

This was I model that I did not have much history with, but kind of hit it off. I came into her room one night and she had just finished the big countdown show of the night. Just hanging out for a bit before she called it a night. She said, and I paraphrase here just hitting the relevant stuff, "Thanks guys for a great night. We got within XX tokens of my goal." It was just kinda said in passing, not a dwelt upon point. And not in a way that would have one to believe she was fishing for that last amount. It wasn't that much, so I said screw it, I can make that happen.

Yeah, it's a fine line. And each situation is different.

AmberCutie said:
Duane Dibbley said:
LadyLuna said:

see what I did there?

What is the mistake?

Edit - in case you are confused, she is showing they both come out to 228 but that its easier to drop the 0 and divide by 2 instead of dividing the whole amount by 20.

4560/20 is 228. The final result is the *desired* one, as if 4560 was divided by 10 and then by 2, but the intermediate result is not.

Because people are still confused i think, I will retype what Luna said with one change. The = is throwing people off.

4560 tokens / 20

Is the same as

456 / 2

But the latter feels easier to do in your head. So models like a total that ends in 0 so that they can do easier math in their head vs. dividing by 20.

I actually multiply by .05 instead of dividing.

AmberCutie said:
Because people are still confused i think, I will retype what Luna said with one change. The = is throwing people off.

4560 tokens / 20

Is the same as

456 / 2

But the latter feels easier to do in your head. So models like a total that ends in 0 so that they can do easier math in their head vs. dividing by 20.

Another way of thinking about it is the way we were taught in elementary school. Factors. 20 has the factors of 1 and 20, 2 and 10, 4 and 5 in pairs. So anytime you wish to divide a number by 20 you can INSTEAD divide that number by the factors of 20 and get the same result.

So dividing 456 by 20 gives 22.8
OR dividing 456 by 5 then dividing that new number by 4 still gives the same 22.8
and dividing 456 by 10 then dividing that number by 2 gives the same 22.8
It doesn't matter if you use the original number or any of the proper factors of the number.

So in dealing with tokens it makes the most sense to use the factors 10 and 2 because 10 is the easiest to divide any number by, simply move the decimal place one to the left. The divide that new number by 2. This can easily be done in our heads.

<<<<<< TRIGGER WARNING - MATH GEEK EXPOSITORY FOLLOWS!!! >>>>>>

To expand this even further you can easily figure out any percentage quickly in your head to pay tax for items or tips at restaurants.

You simply have to remember that 10% means moving the decimal to the left one place and 1% moves it two places to the left. And you have to understand that the little percentages can be figured individually then added up to get the right answer. So 7% is the same as 5% plus 2%. Or 8% is the same as 10% minus 2% and so on. (advanced would be 1.5% is the same as 1% plus one half of 1%)

For example if you want to figure out 5% of some number you can figure out the 10% and then divide that number in half.

For 3% figure out the 1% and times that number by 3.

For 7% do the 10% and divide in half but also figure out the 1% and double that. Add those two together and you have 7%

After you get comfortable with that you can expand it further by doing 1% and dividing that in half for 0.5%. Divide that number in half for 0.25%. You can really carry it out easily as far as you want. So in city's that charge an odd tax on items you can calculate 7.85% in your head with no problem.

Next time your in the grocery store try just figuring out the tax on an item in your head for practice. It gets easier the more you do it.

Honestly... I didn't expect there to be so much trouble with my math thing. Amber is completely correct in what she said. And while I did do it in my head, I also double-checked with a calculator, because I didn't want to take chances.

= sign means "is equal to" which is like saying "is the same as"

So let's put it this way:

(4560 / 20) = (456 / 2) = $228

If I need to expand it even more for understanding, I can do this:

(4560 / 20) = (456*10 / 2*10) = (456 / 2) = $228

Poll: Do the parenthesis between the equals signs help, or make it more confusing?

On a math paper, most people would put it like this:

4560 / 20
456 / 2

Maybe that's better? It's just, when doing rows of fractions, using the equals sign instead of entering a line saves paper.

LadyLuna said:
Poll: Do the parenthesis between the equals signs help, or make it more confusing?

According to every math teacher i have ever had you can never have too many parentheses!

All of this talk of people doing math in their head is crazy! If this trend continues and gathers steam, a lot of very important skills will be lost. Such as being able to use the calculator on your phone! :mrgreen:

JerryBoBerry said:
AmberCutie said:

4560 tokens / 20

Is the same as

456 / 2

Another way of thinking about it is the way we were taught in elementary school. Factors. 20 has the factors of 1 and 20, 2 and 10, 4 and 5 in pairs. So anytime you wish to divide a number by 20 you can INSTEAD divide that number by the factors of 20 and get the same result.

So dividing 456 by 20 gives 22.8
OR dividing 456 by 5 then dividing that new number by 4 still gives the same 22.8
and dividing 456 by 10 then dividing that number by 2 gives the same 22.8
It doesn't matter if you use the original number or any of the proper factors of the number.

So in dealing with tokens it makes the most sense to use the factors 10 and 2 because 10 is the easiest to divide any number by, simply move the decimal place one to the left. The divide that new number by 2. This can easily be done in our heads.

<<<<<< TRIGGER WARNING - MATH GEEK EXPOSITORY FOLLOWS!!! >>>>>>

To expand this even further you can easily figure out any percentage quickly in your head to pay tax for items or tips at restaurants.

You simply have to remember that 10% means moving the decimal to the left one place and 1% moves it two places to the left. And you have to understand that the little percentages can be figured individually then added up to get the right answer. So 7% is the same as 5% plus 2%. Or 8% is the same as 10% minus 2% and so on. (advanced would be 1.5% is the same as 1% plus one half of 1%)

For example if you want to figure out 5% of some number you can figure out the 10% and then divide that number in half.

For 3% figure out the 1% and times that number by 3.

For 7% do the 10% and divide in half but also figure out the 1% and double that. Add those two together and you have 7%

After you get comfortable with that you can expand it further by doing 1% and dividing that in half for 0.5%. Divide that number in half for 0.25%. You can really carry it out easily as far as you want. So in city's that charge an odd tax on items you can calculate 7.85% in your head with no problem.

Next time your in the grocery store try just figuring out the tax on an item in your head for practice. It gets easier the more you do it.

E8QmiXn.jpg

Way I see it, displaying a goal puts me off tipping. If you've got a goal up and you're someone I enjoy just hanging out with and chucking tokens at, part of my mind ends up saying to me "Well, soon as she hits her goal, she's going to log off. That'd be a shame.". Granted, doesn't always happen, but the mindset of only needing to meet a goal can do that.

Casual mentions of "I'm not far off my goal" etc are fine. I've stopped going to a room I use to hang around/tip in lots over the years, mainly as the model is now "Oh I have a huge goal tonight" from the moment they log in, and then it was the same every two minutes.

Reactions: LadyLuna and Sevrin
Misono said:
Way I see it, displaying a goal puts me off tipping. If you've got a goal up and you're someone I enjoy just hanging out with and chucking tokens at, part of my mind ends up saying to me "Well, soon as she hits her goal, she's going to log off. That'd be a shame.". Granted, doesn't always happen, but the mindset of only needing to meet a goal can do that.

Casual mentions of "I'm not far off my goal" etc are fine. I've stopped going to a room I use to hang around/tip in lots over the years, mainly as the model is now "Oh I have a huge goal tonight" from the moment they log in, and then it was the same every two minutes.

I've actually seen models with a topic of...

Tip me xxx tokens so I can go home.

So if we tip you, you will leave? :think:

Reactions: Misono
***** WARNING: LONG WINDED POST AHEAD, POSSIBLE TRIGGERS RE: SEX WORK-RELATED STIGMAS ****

I don't mind if a model posts goals. I keep 1 thing in mind: While I'm sure there are a few exceptions, for many models, THIS IS HER FULL-TIME JOB. This is how she pays her bills. I've discussed this with some cam models, and what it points out to me is this: Being a cam model is the equivalent of being a small-business owner, but WITHOUT the support network most small business owners can take advantage of.

For security reasons, many cam models can't rely on anyone but themselves to get all of the "behind the scenes" work done, and there can be quite a bit of that. They have to be an accountant, to make sure all of their taxes and living expenses are taken care of. They have to be a stagehand, setting up their cam area for each show, and reorganizing/cleaning up afterward. They're also the maintenance person, having to fix or replace any of their equipment that breaks. That's not just the cam or computer, either. Some have full photo-studio lighting rigs so that they can broadcast better-quality video. If the model gets sick, she doesn't get a paid sick day. She's losing money for every show she has to miss. She has no health insurance, either. Everything comes right out of her bank account. There's also the stress in many cases of having to conceal the nature of their job from family that would not approve of the nature of the business. Add to that the very real security concerns about stalkers or worse, and it's a recipe for maximum stress.

The income isn't consistent either. A model could have a very good week, then a REALLY bad month that puts her even further behind on her finances. This can happen through no fault of the model's. Any number of things beyond her control could drive down her income. Some people usually chime in then with "Well, she should get a REAL job, then." These people need to be smacked with a banhammer in real life. What I just described sounds like a VERY REAL job to me. Also good luck FINDING a "vanilla" job in this country's economy that can pay your bills, what with companies left & right cutting employee hours to avoid having to pay for health insurance for them.

Editing because I ran my train of thought off the rails before I posted my concluding remarks.

Anyway, the bottom line when it comes to cam models is: This is their JOB. They provide a SERVICE by entertaining us. I look at a cam model posting session goals in the same light as someone in any other job posting the rates they charge for their services. I expect to see it, as this is how they pay their bills.

ThunderWeasel said:
***** WARNING: LONG WINDED POST AHEAD, POSSIBLE TRIGGERS RE: SEX WORK-RELATED STIGMAS ****

Missing the point.

No one is disputing that a model should have financial goals or suggesting they make a secret of them. As far as I am concerned though, showing a session goal in a topic is about as sexy as members putting "Can't wait for you to be naked/masturbating/squirting" in *every* tip note during a countdown. While we're all being clear about *our* goals, and everything.

Camming is obviously a job for models, and they are entitled to be paid for their time and effort. But it also intended to be *perceived* as an entertainment for members, not a trip to the tax office.

Reactions: LadyLuna
Sevrin said:
ThunderWeasel said:

Missing the point.

No one is disputing that a model should have financial goals or suggesting they make a secret of them. As far as I am concerned though, showing a session goal in a topic is about as sexy as members putting "Can't wait for you to be naked/masturbating/squirting" in *every* tip note during a countdown. While we're all being clear about *our* goals, and everything.

Camming is obviously a job for models, and they are entitled to be paid for their time and effort. But it also intended to be *perceived* as an entertainment for members, not a trip to the tax office.

I didn't miss the point, I just don't agree with the sentiment. I suppose we have differing perspectives, no big deal. :)

Reactions: LadyLuna
And while it's a job, I'd love to find a job where you can just turn up and get paid just by asking for the money.

Certainly a model who is just going "Tip me" every 30 seconds would be a turn off. Hold a decent conversation, get people feeling relaxed and not uptight about seeing you, and have good ideas for aims that will please everyone. I'm not saying have a topic where for 500 tokens you'll make your asshole look like the Japanese flag, but having something to aim for that isn't a departure on completion is way more attractive than just expecting tips because you asked for them.

While I imagine there's a side order or sarcasm in the above replies, unfortunately that's how I've seen some of the rooms with a tip goal set. A case of "I'm leaving when I get there" and just expecting it to happen without any form of entertainment, be that via conversation, shows or anything in between.

Reactions: HiGirlsRHot
Status
Not open for further replies.