AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Slashes in custom CSS on MFC. Give me back my /s maberfocker

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 5, 2012
profiles.myfreecams.com
Has anybody figured out how to prevent MFC from stripping slashes ("/" symbols) from custom CSS?
When I submit something like
Code:
background-image:url('http://imageshack.us/blah/blah.png');
it works, and the page displays correctly. However, when it retrieves the CSS code again for editing, the slashes are lost, and I get
Code:
background-image:url('http:imageshack.usblahblah.png');
Editing the code in an external editor certainly helps, but this bug is kinda annoying.
:geek:

Re: Slashes in custom CSS on MFC. Give me back my /s maberfo

I FUCKING KNOW.

FUCK YOU, MFC.

Evvie said:
I FUCKING KNOW.

FUCK YOU, MFC.
By the way, kudos for the new profile and new pictchaz!
I think instead of logging on tonight, I will be wanking off to your CSS...

Reactions: Evvie

I have it on my "to do" list once I have a chance, to take a closer look at the mess that is mfc custom css option. From my initial quick look at it, I was like "wtf kind of crap system is this?" Seems pretty craptastic to me.

Littlegringo said:
I have it on my "to do" list once I have a chance, to take a closer look at the mess that is mfc custom css option. From my initial quick look at it, I was like "wtf kind of crap system is this?" Seems pretty craptastic to me.

A pain in the rectum is what it is.

Reactions: GingerOwnsChris

The main MFC web site and the Profiles section must have been developed by different people.
The main site works like a charm, but profiles... hmm... need work:
7AvIN.png

It's been pointed out, but this is also a lovely attribute of MFC profiles:

Code:
	.thingy	{
		position : absolute;
		visibility : hidden;
	}

GingerOwnsChris said:
The main MFC web site and the Profiles section must have been developed by different people.
The main site works like a charm, but profiles... hmm... need work:
7AvIN.png

lol, that is such an awesome profile system they have. Web standards? What are web standards? We don't need no stinking web standards!

I checked on my wife's profile and it had 726 errors, while Jolene's had double, but Jolene's profile looks like pretty standard layout, seems weird that the validator reports double the errors. Seemed to me they'd be very close in errors...

You'd think with all the money MFC makes they could hire a developer to make a good quality system for their profiles...

First of all, you shouldn't be editing directly in the profile editor anyways so the / and other quirks isn't really an issue if you have any clue what you are doing. Second of all, MFC will be redoing the profile systems at some point.

js423 said:
First of all, you shouldn't be editing directly in the profile editor anyways so the / and other quirks isn't really an issue if you have any clue what you are doing. Second of all, MFC will be redoing the profile systems at some point.
Great. So helpful of you.

posting errors on the markup validator is somewhat pointless. try running the url for this forum page for example.

js423 said:
posting errors on the markup validator is somewhat pointless. try running the url for this forum page for example.

Do you work for MFC there spunky?

Yeah clearly it's exactly the same, a profile page that produced between 1400 errors compared to what you suggested, this forum for example, which produced 7 errors... or 1/2 a percent of the profile pages errors.

There are multiple designers on this forum that do know what they're doing as designers and pretty much every person i've ever seen comment on mfc's profile system feels it's a mess.

I said this page, not the forum sparky. No, I don't work for MFC and yes their system is a bit messed up, but there are plenty of examples of profiles on there that somehow, miraculously people have managed to make look pretty damn good despite MFC's quirks.

33kdg7q.png

js423 said:
I said this page, not the forum sparky. No, I don't work for MFC and yes their system is a bit messed up, but there are plenty of examples of profiles on there that somehow, miraculously people have managed to make look pretty damn good despite MFC's quirks.

33kdg7q.png

And once again, you're comparing a small fraction of errors to a big pile? 49 vs 1400 ? Do you think those numbers of errors are equal?
Grab a generic profile page on mfc, that has had nothing done except using their built in system to change colors, and it still shows up around 600 errors.

I don't believe anyone has said you can't make a good looking profile on there, but many people have said the system is a pain in the ass to do so with. And my point has been that a company that brings in bag loads of money could afford to hire someone to make their profile system not suck.

AshaSnow said:
If you want the slashes to stay in CSS, click Preview. It will save all changes without removing the slashes. Voila!

That's right, Asha, but what if I edit it the next day?

js423 said:

I agree, js, and for development I modify CSS directly in the browser via Chrome's Developer Tools. As for submitting CSS to MFC, I resorted to storing my CSS in a text file and copying/pasting it over the original CSS. This seems to be the only answer to their quirks.

P.S.: As I was experimenting with CSS on MFC, I found that MFC completely strips out all the ">" and "*" characters before they reach the code of the page (unlike slashes, which do reach the page, but never come back). This makes it impossible to use some helpful CSS selectors. And using the HTML entities instead of the problematic characters (e.g., > instead of >) does not help, either.

js423 said:
... there are plenty of examples of profiles on there that somehow, miraculously people have managed to make look pretty damn good despite MFC's quirks.

When Web standards (or even the well-formedness of XML) is ignored, yes, you can still make the page look good. However, there will always be two concerns about these pages:

(A) Do they look equally well in all browsers? I found that the answer is no; for example, adding thick borders to some elements on MFC profiles looks good in Chrome, but screws up the layout in Firefox (overlapping borders, come on?!). This never happened to me in valid XHTML, which MFC profiles claim to be, but are not.

(B) Will they still look good in future versions of Web browsers, when developers adapt them to future malformed code? The answer to this is uncertain, but I certainly believe that future browsers will screw something up in an invalid page, which is tailored to today's kind forgiveness of web browsers.

GingerOwnsChris said:
Has anybody figured out how to prevent MFC from stripping slashes ("/" symbols) from custom CSS?
Code:
it works, and the page displays correctly. However, when it retrieves the CSS code again for editing, the slashes are lost, and I get
Code:
Editing the code in an external editor certainly helps, but this bug is kinda annoying.

Truly annoying, isn't it? I always, always save a copy of my CSS in a text file on my own computer whenever I edit it on MFC. It's pretty much guaranteed to do random funky stuff to it. The slash thing in URLs is the main one that gets me every time, but there are some selectors which it will mangle, some properties it likes to strip out, etc.

The same goes for editing HTML on my profile. Certain tags make MFC throw a hissy fit and delete all the text you entered in a field. That makes the slash-stripping seem almost friendly in comparison.

Reactions: GingerOwnsChris

GingerOwnsChris said:
AshaSnow said:
If you want the slashes to stay in CSS, click Preview. It will save all changes without removing the slashes. Voila!

Uh then you click Preview and it saves all the changes without removing the slashes....Every single time I've had to update my CSS I just click Preview and everything saves and works just fine.

AshaSnow said:
GingerOwnsChris said:
AshaSnow said:

Uh then you click Preview and it saves all the changes without removing the slashes....Every single time I've had to update my CSS I just click Preview and everything saves and works just fine.

I have tried it, and it does not work at all for me. I lose slashes even when I click Preview instead of Submit. Maybe something has changed since the last time you edited your CSS? If you can spare a minute, could you please open the custom CSS page and see if slashes are still there?

GingerOwnsChris said:
js423 said:
... there are plenty of examples of profiles on there that somehow, miraculously people have managed to make look pretty damn good despite MFC's quirks.

When Web standards (or even the well-formedness of XML) is ignored, yes, you can still make the page look good. However, there will always be two concerns about these pages:

(A) Do they look equally well in all browsers? I found that the answer is no; for example, adding thick borders to some elements on MFC profiles looks good in Chrome, but screws up the layout in Firefox (overlapping borders, come on?!). This never happened to me in valid XHTML, which MFC profiles claim to be, but are not.

(B) Will they still look good in future versions of Web browsers, when developers adapt them to future malformed code? The answer to this is uncertain, but I certainly believe that future browsers will screw something up in an invalid page, which is tailored to today's kind forgiveness of web browsers.

The borders issue with "valid XHTML" makes me think you don't really understand what you are talking about. At least not fully.
In other words, I can cobble something together which is 100% compliant with both html and css, yet renders differently in IE, Firefox and Chrome. It can be the differences in how various browsers implement the rendering that results in the oddities. In particular, borders and margins.

You have to delete any css code you have in the text area then paste in your new css code and save. Do NOT use preview.

You will have to do this every time you change anything, pain in the ass but the only way it will work.

As Zoomer said MFC implements some weird coding, I had the overlapping frames in firefox and found a way round it by mistake but the code makes no sense at all. Ah the joys of mfc.

I'm off to find the highest last day of month make my goal pls topic:

Room Topic: HELP ME GET MY GOAL 40,000 TKS , I DO ANYTHING,,, I NEED HELP MY FAMILY. I WAIT PVT , GROUP SHOW.:((

Reactions: Evvie

Zoomer said:
The borders issue with "valid XHTML" makes me think you don't really understand what you are talking about. At least not fully.
In other words, I can cobble something together which is 100% compliant with both html and css, yet renders differently in IE, Firefox and Chrome. It can be the differences in how various browsers implement the rendering that results in the oddities. In particular, borders and margins.

I am only aware of box model bugs in IE. As far as I know, Firefox and Chrome have identical box models. In my experience, the only reason why Firefox and Chrome would render box elements differently is non-compliant code. If you can give me an example code which validates as XHTML 1.0 Transitional, but gets rendered differently in Firefox and Chrome, I would greatly appreciate it.

In general, I find some versions of IE will render things not quite as intended, as well as Opera doing that on some things. In most designs, writing in for the browser to display as a different version can take care of that. I haven't done any testing to see if MFC allows you to do anything like that to compensate for the browser display variations. In any case, it just seems that their profile system is pretty poor in this day and age...

GingerOwnsChris said:
Code:
Code:

There is nothing to do. MFC platform core uses CUSTOM programming language in order to strip out any java, js, php external iframes from both css and html fields. The only option is to have a back-up of you profile on your hard-drive.

regarding validation :lol: DON'T try this at home...you may get sick (if you are a coder)

Status
Not open for further replies.