AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

suggestions for starting a solo, independent site?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ScarlettLeigh said:
For someone who is here to learn you do an awful lot of talking.

Yeah, you got me there. That's definitely something I am always working on... believe it or not. :)

It is the way you have entered the forum that has got peoples backs up.

The first thread of yours I read was about 'whales' and I didnt answer..why? because you answered your own question in a long post that didnt need input from anyone else. It wasnt really a question, it was a way for you to ramble about YOUR opinion on it.

Also bear in mind that there are many subjects that models do talk about, only to each other.

Leigh_rocks said:

Well, I sincerely apologize for that. I honestly thought I was starting interesting topics that would give people a lot to sink their teeth into.

Keltaric said:
Leigh_rocks said:

Well, I sincerely apologize for that. I honestly thought I was starting interesting topics that would give people a lot to sink their teeth into.

You must be the one spoken of in the prophecy. We knew you would come, some day.

Gonna reply to a couple of the off-topic posts here, then add some thoughts that are on-topic.

Keltaric said:
ScarlettLeigh said:

Yeah, you got me there. That's definitely something I am always working on... believe it or not. :)

I'm actually glad you own up to that comment, hah. Thanks for showing your human side for a moment, there. :)
Keltaric said:
Leigh_rocks said:

I think that's the danger of starting an "interesting" topic on a forum. Many times on public forums, "interesting" = "controversial." That's what you've run into here, you've become controversial.

Our average newcomer will lurk, reply in run-of-the-mill threads to not rock the boat, and THEN maybe make their own post with lots of questions/opinions. You aren't what most of us are comfortable with or used to with how you've introduced yourself.
Leigh_rocks said:
Also bear in mind that there are many subjects that models do talk about, only to each other.
I think I touched on this thought in another post of mine, but she reinforces it here. Lots of stuff is discussed behind closed doors, so to speak. It's like asking magicians to give insightful replies about how they learn and perform their mysterious magic tricks on a public stage. Keep pushing the topic, and the magicians are going to continue flinging rabbit poo at you.

Now, as for the issue of camsite girls paying overhead vs. independent solo-site models earning 100%:

1. A camsite girl has to only worry about her own hardware and her shows. The technical issues on the site, the traffic, the advertising, the hosting, the servers, the backend... it's all done for you. A lot of models will feel that the overhead that we pay is worth not having to figure out and deal with all this stuff on our own day to day. I'm completely fine with accepting 60-70%, as I don't WANT to do all that extra work. I can focus on me, then when I'm off cam, I'm done work.

2. A solo site girl needs to have connections. A tech person, hosting, advertising, cc billing, site maintenance, more knowledge of how the Internet and software work, etc. If a girl has these things at her disposal, then fabulous, she should be solo. But I do think a lot of girls who whine about the camsites taking a cut forget that there's a bunch of extra work and effort into being solo.

AmberCutie said:
Keltaric said:
ScarlettLeigh said:

I'm actually glad you own up to that comment, hah. Thanks for showing your human side for a moment, there. :)

Thanks. I'm pretty honest about my flaws. I try to own them so I can try to work on them. :) Maybe by the time I'm 90-something I'll be perfect!

AmberCutie said:
I think that's the danger of starting an "interesting" topic on a forum. Many times on public forums, "interesting" = "controversial." That's what you've run into here, you've become controversial.

This probably won't come as a surprise, but being controversial is not something new for me. I *try* to at least do it in an interesting way. Your mileage may vary.

AmberCutie said:
Now, as for the issue of camsite girls paying overhead vs. independent solo-site models earning 100%:

All good points that make a lot of sense.

ScarlettLeigh said:

Does anyone else notice that the cam girls, who don't make very much money and/or low rated, are ALWAYS the ones who start crap with people on here??? Don't take your anger and bitterness out on people on here, angry low paid cam girls. ScarlettLeigh is living proof of this, as she never gets any tokens or shows every time I've gone into her room. Improve your attitude, ScarlettLeigh, you might do better. Just a thought there.

ThePhoenixUK said:
ScarlettLeigh said:

Does anyone else notice that the cam girls, who don't make very much money and/or low rated, are ALWAYS the ones who start crap with people on here??? Don't take your anger and bitterness out on people on here, angry low paid cam girls. ScarlettLeigh is living proof of this, as she never gets any tokens or shows every time I've gone into her room. Improve your attitude, ScarlettLeigh, you might do better. Just a thought there.
Do you know what I make? No you don't.

Hey Guys,

@Keltaric: The cut is on par compared to other industries it seems, thanks for breaking it down. I was comparing my current miniscule cut to the cut I would get if I ran my own site, and/or my hypothetical, not-for-profit site. I’m not even sure yet if my own independent site would provide an increase in pay after advertising and such. I began this post so that I could answer this and other questions about beginning a site. And, yes, the treatment is fine (not great) at my host site, but for me it is a financial issue above all else: I know I could be getting more pay elsewhere for doing the same amount of work. I am on cams.com, so my pay is 29.25%. Just simply switching to MFC would give me an immediate pay increase, for example. (I plan to move to MFC when I have my independent site up).

@Leigh_rocks: you said, “Looking at your posts you are obviously cooking up some kind of business plan in mind that you are not being open about and see us all as a free source of information.” I am under the impression that you thought that I wrote Keltaric’s post. Am I correct? Because at the time you wrote this, he only had one post up, and second, it was me who earlier admitted to doing any business plan cookin’. I am also the newbie.
In response to your other post, many followers so far just ask me to go over to skype and such, so that is one reason I thought a solo site would work. I don’t know if fans would actually follow through on moving elsewhere yet. I am the top “nude chat” model on my site, and was just model of the day on the 31st, (to toot my own horn) but only time will tell if my site will succeed. I would ask my followers what they think, but the site doesn’t permit me to do so. If I bring up another site I get suspended. Thanks for suggesting that I wait to launch independently. I will certainly do this.

@ScarlettLeigh: I have been taught that asking how much money someone makes is rude. I was under the impression that computer-mediated-communication operates differently than face-to-face communication. I accept that I might be seen as rude. I am sometimes and don’t realize it… ☹ my bad.
Also, I am 100% ungrateful for the pay mama. I am just one person, however, and I don’t represent the entire cam-model world. Does any other girl reading this thread feel the same as I do?? I would like to find out. If I were the only one who feels unsatisfied with the pay, obviously I wouldn’t attempt at a not-for-profit site. P.S. I see your pic on the left and I love your look. So HOT.

@Sevrin: I do actually feel a little unwelcome after the way this thread turned, and I am, in fact, a model. The experience is likely different for other models, however. I’m kind of sensitive. It’s not that I have been treated poorly but I have noticed a lot of arguing coming from all angles. It’s kind of unwelcoming since it was me who posted the thread.
You said, “Models provide the vast majority of the value at a cam site.” This is so true. This is exactly why I aim to find a cut that represents my value.

@Ambercutie: Yes, I was told by a few friends in the business that the technological aspect of running your own site gets time consuming and expensive. He said that basically it takes 5 years to turn considerable profit with a solo sight, but from what he knew, the couple who kept at it were making about a quarter million annually. Luckily I do have connections. I wouldn’t have known about the aspects you speak of if it weren’t for them. As a side note, I’m super impressed with your site ☺. I saw you the other day on MFC and perhaps that is a reason why you are a significant model on that site (because you created outside, independent advertising)?

I still do think that we as models have the power to change the industry. This will be the last of my posts on this thread, but I am still reading everyone's input. Whew!

SaraBliss: More power to you if you strike out on your own. The 30% cut you are getting at your current site definitely sounds low compared to what people post about other sites.

From my own e-commerce experiences, make sure you have some good fraud protection in place.

Sara, the "rude" comment was not directed at you however personally I do not feel comfortable talking about a lot of things in the public section. There is a wealth of information in the Models Only section that you would find very helpful.

@Leigh_rocks: you said, “Looking at your posts you are obviously cooking up some kind of business plan in mind that you are not being open about and see us all as a free source of information.” I am under the impression that you thought that I wrote Keltaric’s post. Am I correct? Because at the time you wrote this, he only had one post up, and second, it was me who earlier admitted to doing any business plan cookin’. I am also the newbie.
In response to your other post, many followers so far just ask me to go over to skype and such, so that is one reason I thought a solo site would work. I don’t know if fans would actually follow through on moving elsewhere yet. I am the top “nude chat” model on my site, and was just model of the day on the 31st, (to toot my own horn) but only time will tell if my site will succeed. I would ask my followers what they think, but the site doesn’t permit me to do so. If I bring up another site I get suspended. Thanks for suggesting that I wait to launch independently. I will certainly do this.

Hi hun

No I did two separate posts to indicate which was directed at you and which at Keltaric. The one which I talked about the independent site was directed at you. Sorry of it wasn't so clear.

Like Scarlett said, there is a lot of info under the models only section i'm sure amber can let you know how to get access, there you will find lots of stuff about solo sites, skype shows, different cam sites and what the models on them think of them etc.

To the verified model who sent me a PM here asking me to put you in contact with that camgirl/website owner... I can't PM you. You have your PM disabled.

Anyway... I need to ask her if she is ok to talk to you. She will probably ask for your model nick, which I believe it is not the nick you use here in this forum. PM your model nick. I can't PM you, but I can read your PMs.

If she say she is ok (I believe she will do), then I will need to be able to PM you because I won't post her personal email here in public. So, please, enable your PM.

P.S.: I didn't mention the nick you use in this forum because, judging by your low activity in public area and the fact you have the PM disabled, I think you want to keep a low profile and don't be bothered.

Status
Not open for further replies.