AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Telling my mom about camming

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 10, 2016
Canada
Tumblr Username
kitty-princen
Okay so, as a lot of you (if not all of you) may know, I aspire to be a cam girl. Though I don't plan on starting just yet. I have a lot that I still need to learn before I can even think of starting. Now, my reason for making this post is I need some advice. See, when I do start camming, I do intend to be 100% open about it because honestly, I don't really care who knows. But right now, I'm hitting a bit of a snag. I want to tell my mom that I want to be a cam girl, but I'm not sure how to bring it up. My mom is very sex and body positive and has said hundreds of times that she'll support me, whatever I decide to do with my life, so long as I am safe. I'm really not sure how to tell her that this is a future career choice for me. One of the reasons I want to start camming is because I really enjoy showing off my body and being the center of attention (though that can get a little overwhelming at times). I've already been posting partial nudes on my tumblr blog and it seems that I've been pretty well received. So I figured, since I really do enjoy doing this kind of thing, why not try and make money off of it? I just don't know what to say to my mom about it. I mean, I am an adult, so it's not like it's illegal or anything. I just don't know how she'll take it. Does anyone have any tips for me on how to bring it up to her?

I'd just bring it up casually, like as if you wanted to be a vet or something. If she's super supportive I guess that's all you can do. Or you could just be blunt and get it out there. I don't remember how I told my boyfriend I wanted to do that, but it was probably super casual and that's how I don't remember. Lol.

Reactions: Entertainer33
So what I've learned when I came out to a very close friend is that the person hearing the news (if they have an open and/or positive outlook on sex) doesn't ask all the questions that we think they might ask and be in a state of ultimate shock. I started to realize I didn't need to be prepared to answer a bazillion questions to justify camming. Sure there will be questions, but I felt like the questions were more out of curiosity just because not many people have cam model or sex worker friends. This is just my opinion, but I find that it worked better when it was casually integrated into a conversation and not built up on "I have something to tell you, lets chat", that just comes of as super serious, but I can understand how it could be serious because not everyone in the world is comfortable about sex and sex work practices. By how you've described it in your post, it sounds like you and your mom have a healthy respectable mother daughter relationship :) I think that regular greetings and questions like, "Hey how are you?" "What's new?" could be great start out conversations that lead to camming. Letting mom know that you've been researching online about web modeling. It's something that is an interest to you and would want to test the waters out on it see how it goes.

Hope this helps! This is based on my experience of finally revealing to friends :)

Maybe try; " I saw an article on the internet that camgirls can make a lot of money, what do you think should I try it ? " Then you can see how she takes it and you can come back to the topic if you wish so and say you have done further research and you would really like to give it a try....

:)

Another way to try and show her the idea and gauge her reaction would be watching CamGirlzDoc with her. it's a pretty great representation of camming :) you can see how she reacts to the idea in general and then mention you wanting to try it http://camgirlzthemovie.com/

• Helpful!
Reactions: RheaMelaina_R
I wouldn't bring it up until you have made over $600 camming. Why?

You could very well not like it. You have never been on cam before, so why tell anyone that you want to cam until you know you really do and will continue to cam?

Why $600? In the US, that's the amount of money you can make without having file taxes. If you make less than $600, decide you hate it and quit, there will be no paper trail relating you to camming and you can stop if you don't like it.

Personally I would not tell anyone unless they were on a need to know basis until I was sure I actually liked camming.

If you are super close with your mom, I can see why you'd want to tell her first to get her opinion. But only if you REALLY think she'll be cool with it or are open to being talked out of it because most likely she'll try. As the other models have said, try camming first, see if you like it, see how it goes. If you want to still do it, then tell her. I told mine only after I was sure it wasn't going anywhere for a while longer. I couldn't "casually" bring it into convo haha. I sat her down and was freaking out internally because I knew it was going to be bad but also because I hated lying to her in the first place.

When you have this conversation with your mom, don't approach it in a way that makes it sound like you're giving her bad news. And remember that you are not asking for her blessing. This is your life and your decision. You're just having a talk with your mom because you want to be honest with her. Also, I don't think you need to use the phrase "career choice" this early on...especially when you haven't started yet. It may even be better for you if you waited to have this conversation 'til you've at least gotten your first paycheck. That way, you can tell your mom that this job has allowed you to pay some bills and take care of financial needs. There are people out there who think the whole working-from-home thing is just BS, that's it's not a "real job," and that no one really makes money working from home, so having received your first camming paycheck would probably be helpful when you decide to bring this up.

Status
Not open for further replies.