AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

The fraud that many think doesn't exist.....

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 26, 2011
in the past there has been a bit of is/isn't profitable chatter here concerning some criminal elements and such.... For those that dont stay abreast of Chaturbate , they are no longer accepting Rom models and then today this posts on the site.

http://blog.chaturbate.com/news-and-ann ... e-lookout/

BE ON THE LOOKOUT!!
May 20, 2013, posted by admin
BE ON THE LOOKOUT!! Criminals are approaching performers offering them a “business proposition” that involves credit card fraud. These scammers are giving large tips to performers and asking the performer to split the cash with them. Participating in this type of scam will result in, among other actions, prosecution to the fullest extent of the law, participants’ being immediately banned from Chaturbate without pay, and reporting this criminal conduct to other cam services. Chaturbate will pay a $1,000 reward to any performer who provides accurate information on any of these criminals that leads to an arrest.
If you are approached to participate in this illegal activity, you should get his or her contact details and contact support@chaturbate.com immediately.

Perhaps the naysayers will now understand that almost any loss in a criminals mind is better than not making their free money.

SoTxBob said:
These scammers are giving large tips to performers and asking the performer to split the cash with them. Participating in this type of scam will result in, among other actions, prosecution to the fullest extent of the law, participants’ being immediately banned from Chaturbate without pay, and reporting this criminal conduct to other cam services. Chaturbate will pay a $1,000 reward to any performer who provides accurate information on any of these criminals that leads to an arrest.
If you are approached to participate in this illegal activity, you should get his or her contact details and contact support@chaturbate.com immediately.
Why aren't these guys just using female friends? Why risk a model not paying up?

PunkInDrublic said:
SoTxBob said:
These scammers are giving large tips to performers and asking the performer to split the cash with them. Participating in this type of scam will result in, among other actions, prosecution to the fullest extent of the law, participants’ being immediately banned from Chaturbate without pay, and reporting this criminal conduct to other cam services. Chaturbate will pay a $1,000 reward to any performer who provides accurate information on any of these criminals that leads to an arrest.
If you are approached to participate in this illegal activity, you should get his or her contact details and contact support@chaturbate.com
Why aren't these guys just using female friends? Why risk a model not paying up?
Because when the site gets charged back, the model very likely loses her money, plus what she already gave you in cash. So, she is out 1.5 times what you gave her. I'm sure the guys doing this really don't want the person they're scamming to know them. Remaining completely anonymous is very important to these guys.

Jillybean said:
Because when the site gets charged back, the model very likely loses her money
If she already got paid couldn't she just stop working there? Why don't they just set up a looped video and funnel money into that?

PunkInDrublic said:
Jillybean said:
If she already got paid couldn't she just stop working there? Why don't they just set up a looped video and funnel money into that?

Or just launder their money through the Team Fortress 2 marketplace like those sneaky Russians did? Practically any other online market would have been better. Sex and money go hand in hand, so if you wanna be on the down lo DON'T launder money through a sex site like many others before you have done. :p Tips from your friendly neighborhood camgirl.

Reactions: PunkInDrublic
Jillybean said:
I'm sure the guys doing this really don't want the person they're scamming to know them. Remaining completely anonymous is very important to these guys.
I think this has likely a lot to do with it. The ppl who orchestrate these things are almost never the ones caught first, but are turn by those they have working for them. The less people that can give you up the better, because when it comes down to it, it is rare that a friendship is stronger than a stiff jail sentence. I personally know someone who did three years behind working with a conman running some sort of fraud out of Costa Rica. The the guy he was working for managed to keep from being arrested, but was murdered about a year after the operation was busted. Wanted in the U.S. he chose to stay in Costa Rica and it seems someone he burned along the way found him, though the murder remains unsolved.

Reactions: Jillybean
Mayaaaaa said:
PunkInDrublic said:
Jillybean said:

Or just launder their money through the Team Fortress 2 marketplace like those sneaky Russians did? Practically any other online market would have been better. Sex and money go hand in hand, so if you wanna be on the down lo DON'T launder money through a sex site like many others before you have done. :p Tips from your friendly neighborhood camgirl.
They're not laundering money. They're converting stolen credit cards to cash. That's more tricky. It's easy to convert stolen credit cards into items or gift cards, but you have to get creative. LOTS of them have been buying and selling gift cards. However, cops and retailers are onto that. We orderd $500.00 in gift cards at Taco Bell as prizes for a LAN party we threw. The manager had to approve it to try and make sure it wasn't credit card fraud. They even asked for ID even though the card was signed and all that jazz.

Converting stolen credit cards to cash is not really money laundering. Money laundering is when you earned money illegally but make it seem like you legally earned it.

The cash you get from stolen credit cards is NOT laundered.

Reactions: Mayaaaaa
Mayaaaaa said:
Practically any other online market would have been better.
Yeah seems weird. Couldn't it just be a dude with a list of log ins trying to make some money? Why would these guys use camsites when plenty of shady sites already exist to convert stolen credit cards to cash?

Jillybean said:
Mayaaaaa said:
PunkInDrublic said:
Jillybean said:

They're not laundering money. They're converting stolen credit cards to cash. That's more tricky. It's easy to convert stolen credit cards into items or gift cards, but you have to get creative. LOTS of them have been buying and selling gift cards. However, cops and retailers are onto that. We orderd $500.00 in gift cards at Taco Bell as prizes for a LAN party we threw. The manager had to approve it to try and make sure it wasn't credit card fraud. They even asked for ID even though the card was signed and all that jazz.

Converting stolen credit cards to cash is not really money laundering. Money laundering is when you earned money illegally but make it seem like you legally earned it.

The cash you get from stolen credit cards is NOT laundered.

Ohhh, okay I see. I think. I'm not sure that I really grasp the real difference because it's all dirty to me. *shrug* I get that they're getting cash out of it, but aren't they also making it clean?

PunkInDrublic said:
Mayaaaaa said:
Practically any other online market would have been better.
Yeah seems weird. Couldn't it just be a dude with a list of log ins trying to make some money? Why would these guys use camsites when plenty of shady sites already exist to convert stolen credit cards to cash?

Maybe they just like being jerks on top of being mega jerks. :(

At first I didn't see the means of profit here, but then I saw the "chargeback" post and it made a little more sense. Then I saw the stolen credit card post, and it made complete sense. You wouldn't even need a chargeback to make that work. Every time I read of a scam like this, I vow to check my credit card statements more closely. But sometimes you don't even have to. I got a call a while back from my financial institution asking if I'd been making purchases at a Target store in the Chicago area. I hadn't. Excellent fraud division. They caught it quickly, immediately changed my account number and ate the loss.

Reactions: Sevrin and LadyLuna
pg240 said:
At first I didn't see the means of profit here, but then I saw the "chargeback" post and it made a little more sense. Then I saw the stolen credit card post, and it made complete sense. You wouldn't even need a chargeback to make that work. Every time I read of a scam like this, I vow to check my credit card statements more closely. But sometimes you don't even have to. I got a call a while back from my financial institution asking if I'd been making purchases at a Target store in the Chicago area. I hadn't. Excellent fraud division. They caught it quickly, immediately changed my account number and ate the loss.

They all do that. My bank did the same thing when my e-bay account got hacked. E-bay got all shitty with me but the bank rang me to say my card had been stopped for the moment and a replacement was in the mail due to the details appearing on a card scam site. I'm much more careful now and only use a debit card with no money on it most of the time for my online transactions.

pg240 said:
You wouldn't even need a chargeback to make that work.

They don't "need" a chargeback, at all, but there will be one once the fraud has been discovered. They don't do this because they want to screw over models. They do this to get money, and they don't care who gets hurt. Of course, it's easier to screw over someone who thinks they're getting something for nothing.

Hypothetical situation time. Guy hacks camsite and gains access to thousands of accounts. Proceeds to get thousands of private shows/tip shows. After a few months he gets bored with the site and plans to move on to a new site where he hasn't gotten shows from every performer. Guy still has tons of accounts with credits/credit cards attached. Guy decides he wants to get something out of them and picks a few models to split the money with.

Why do people always think it's organized crime or some huge laudering scheme when it could just be some bored hacker? Why would criminals with stolen credit cards ever want to use a .com website? They can immediately sell them for cash elsewhere.

PunkInDrublic said:
Hypothetical situation time. Guy hacks camsite and gains access to thousands of accounts. Proceeds to get thousands of private shows/tip shows. After a few months he gets bored with the site and plans to move on to a new site where he hasn't gotten shows from every performer. Guy still has tons of accounts with credits/credit cards attached. Guy decides he wants to get something out of them and picks a few models to split the money with.

Why do people always think it's organized crime or some huge laudering scheme when it could just be some bored hacker? Why would criminals with stolen credit cards ever want to use a .com website? They can immediately sell them for cash elsewhere.

I assume you mean selling the card numbers? I suppose you could make a few bucks doing that.
Many credit cards have limits in the tens of thousands of dollars. Why would someone sell the card number to someone else, when there's so much more they can do with it until the customer or financial institution realizes that it's been compromised? Cash advances. Large purchases. Buying items that can easily be converted to cash. Etc.

emptiedglass said:
Why would someone sell the card number to someone else, when there's so much more they can do with it until the customer or financial institution realizes that it's been compromised?
Dude might just want the quick easy money without having to worry about using the cards. Card could be declined after his first purchase and now it's worthless to him. May have been better for him to just sell it and move on.

PunkInDrublic said:
Why would criminals with stolen credit cards ever want to use a .com website? They can immediately sell them for cash elsewhere.
What most street criminals are going to do if they have a hard cc, ( the physical card itself), is start by filling their car with gas. It tells them if the card is still good, and they can do it at the pump, provided they have the zip for the card owner, or can guess it before the pump tells you to see the cashier. Then he will probably go to some major retailer like sears/toys-R-us/K-mart and buy as many gift cards as he can. Which will probably be one or two@$250 or less, and the next transaction will probably not work. unless he is hooked up better than most he is not going to get anyone to pay much for the card itself. Too high risk of it being turned off before you can get somewhere to use it. Best bet for cash is a gift card, which despite having a card # are not trackable, or at least that is how all the major retailers behave. (If the FBI or like was tracking someone I bet they could find out where the card was sold and used, but for fraud, they don't have any idea.)

If all you have is the card # and name and not the card that is pretty much worthless to a street criminal, unless you also have the card security code(CSC) or card verification code (CVC) or (CVV) or about a half a dozen other abbreviations and acronyms, but commonly called the V-code. without the card and this 3 or 4 digit code on the back of the card, you got nothing. If however you have this code you can probably get the most gain from an online transaction. Once an online transaction has been approved there is little anybody will do to reverse or stop that transaction. If the item has been shipped forget about. Even when the fraud is discovered before the item is shipped it is often too late.

Two years ago my room mate happened to check her balance on line and discovered almost $1300 missing. Two computers had been bought online one and two days before. Both were bought through egghead, and she was able to get a customer service rep for egghead on the phone after hours so there shipping dpt. was closed. One computer had been shipped the other had not. The rep could not cancel the order, because he had no way to verify who she was. It was so crazy, he must have said 4 or 5 times that if she could provide the order confirmation code he could cancel the order of the one not yet shipped. She was like WTF dude I did not order it how would I have the conformation code. Finally he agreed to put a hold on it being shipped. she had canceled the card, but banked with a small credit union and could not talk to anyone until the next morning. When the bank got in touch with egghead they had shipped the second computer. We had managed to get the shipping address out of egghead and told the card ppl who would do nothing about it - both computers at this point were still in transit. After getting very frustrated we actually called the police in Canton Ohio who at first would not do anything, then we were put through to the detective in charge of such things, who took some basic info, and the fraud investigation # from her, and said he would report back later that day. He did not and repeated calls back always found him away from his desk "please leave a #" So if you can get approval on an online purchase you prolly have no worries.

camstory,

many stores will no longer accept cards at all (I mean, won't take either debit or credit) for gift cards.

camstory said:
Two years ago my room mate happened to check her balance on line and discovered almost $1300 missing. Two computers had been bought online one and two days before. Both were bought through egghead, and she was able to get a customer service rep for egghead on the phone after hours so there shipping dpt. was closed. One computer had been shipped the other had not. The rep could not cancel the order, because he had no way to verify who she was. It was so crazy, he must have said 4 or 5 times that if she could provide the order confirmation code he could cancel the order of the one not yet shipped. She was like WTF dude I did not order it how would I have the conformation code. Finally he agreed to put a hold on it being shipped. she had canceled the card, but banked with a small credit union and could not talk to anyone until the next morning. When the bank got in touch with egghead they had shipped the second computer. We had managed to get the shipping address out of egghead and told the card ppl who would do nothing about it - both computers at this point were still in transit. After getting very frustrated we actually called the police in Canton Ohio who at first would not do anything, then we were put through to the detective in charge of such things, who took some basic info, and the fraud investigation # from her, and said he would report back later that day. He did not and repeated calls back always found him away from his desk "please leave a #" So if you can get approval on an online purchase you prolly have no worries.
Good thing you caught it before it got too out of hand. Dude would have kept buying 1 a day I bet. Canton sucks in general so the cops not being very helpful isn't surprising to hear.

Reactions: camstory
emptiedglass said:
AllisonWilder said:
I think in times of desperation some people are more willing to set their common sense and gut reactions aside to try to make ends meet. :twocents-02cents:

There are also some who would rather declare bankruptcy or live on the streets than live a life of crime.

I was just giving a reason as to why a girl might fall for that, not to justify the criminal act itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.