AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

This is really a thing on the internet.

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.

Is the Earth flat?

• Yes

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • No

Votes: 53 94.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's psyops. But I am the sort that will occasionally stare into dryers trying to figure out the patterns, so don't read too much into my opinion.

Consider the following...

worldpopgr.gif

43_24_g-co2-l.jpg

World%20Population%20and%20Oil.JPG

growing_gap.png

Now I try not to let myself get sucked in too deep by alarmists. I don't put my faith entirely in graphs such as these. Yet there is enough to convince me that this moment in human history is utterly remarkable, unparalleled in its beauty, its wonder, and its sheer horribleness.

If I had tried to travel across the continent I live on several hundred years ago, it would have represented a significant investment of my life; the success of my attempt would have been far less certain than today. A mere 180 years ago (give or take a few years), there was a member of my family who attempted it; the story that has been handed down to me portrays him as an eccentric, the unstable sort that had trouble putting down roots. He was never heard from again.

Today, I can do what he set out to do in a matter of days. I can stay in near constant contact with people in my immediate circle. As I occasionally stop along the way looking for places where I am legally allowed to urinate, it is a certainty that the corporatists will provide me with sustenance, in the form of my favorite peanut butter confection...
landscape-1474385198-reeses-peanut-butter-cup-34g.jpg

So that is my theory. The "flat earth" silliness is a psyop, carried out by unknown actors, intended to make us reflect...

Is the earth flat, or is it round? Yes. Yes, it is.

Of course, it could just be some trolls having a bit of fun relishing human stupidity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity
buy gold

Reactions: Puffin
@justjoinedtopost think you had it spot on... agree fully. I would add in perhaps the most hidden of figures on global climate, the decline of pan evaporation rates, these are what scare me personally as an expert in this field.
We never talk about it much publicly, we include it in our models but never discuss the real ramifications of it. You can only hold so much water (so much excess water energy) in atmosphere, this is why temperature increases are so moderate thus far. It isn't doomsday, just a big reality check. Most of the world still lives under the flat Earth model in terms of climate change.

Incidentally, the oil thing is accurate, but irrelevant, peak oil is about pricing/ cheap oil, not so much about running out. These graphs don't represent shale oil reserves.

To answer the OP's question we know of many people who have circumnavigated the Earth, we know of astronauts, they have lived round Earth. I am fine with trusting their experiences.
The best proof is to travel between northern and southern hemisphere, you only need look at the same weather systems to be convinced. Coriolis is left in the south, right in the north.

Incidentally, the oil thing is accurate, but irrelevant, peak oil is about pricing/ cheap oil, not so much about running out. These graphs don't represent shale oil reserves.
I am not a peak oil fanatic. To me, it just represents one of many factors. Anyways it was pretty much thoroughly debunked almost a decade ago :nerd:...

We never talk about it much publicly, we include it in our models but never discuss the real ramifications of it. You can only hold so much water (so much excess water energy) in atmosphere, this is why temperature increases are so moderate thus far. It isn't doomsday, just a big reality check. Most of the world still lives under the flat Earth model in terms of climate change.
What is your professional opinion of the views of Guy McPherson? For a couple of years now, I have been justifying having "one last cheeseburger" for lunch based on his "It is doomsday" rhetoric.

I enjoy his particular brand of apocalypticism and cheeseburgers far too much to give up either, but if he is wrong, perhaps I ought to at least consider trying to work in an occasional salad somewheres...

Reactions: Puffin
What is your professional opinion of the views of Guy McPherson?
I think you can't go claiming doomsday based on one idea, especially when it comes to climate.
In fact the ammonia release from permafrost would create quite a different effect, from the one he predicts, it would make more salad.

My 15 year climate doomsday prediction most of us will die of mould, fungal and insect borne diseases. For those who remain, weed control and rust will make our lives very challenging, taking up more and more of our work time. Those using solar power will have to switch to something else by this time as the heat and regular cloud cover over most of the planet will make them ineffective.

Frankly, I find it astonishing that, in a time when we have pictures of our planet taken from freaking space, people think that the earth could possibly be flat. It's a squashed, round-ish thing. We have proof.

The Earth is round. But time... Time is a flat circle man.

I know an entire group of people who would beg to differ on time...

fd44921441d32e180a329eecfed54f1c.jpg

My 15 year climate doomsday prediction most of us will die of mould, fungal and insect borne diseases. For those who remain, weed control and rust will make our lives very challenging, taking up more and more of our work time. Those using solar power will have to switch to something else by this time as the heat and regular cloud cover over most of the planet will make them ineffective.

Should I invest in wind instead, for my own energy source? I can totally buy the mold scenario. From a biological perspective, I can add that unless Pharma comes up with new antibiotics, we have about 50 years left before humans will return to pre-antibiotic era living, or rather dying, left and right, from things that are considered "minor" infections today. I trust 'em astronauts too.

Frankly, I find it astonishing that, in a time when we have pictures of our planet taken from freaking space, people think that the earth could possibly be flat. It's a squashed, round-ish thing. We have proof.

There's a lot going on psychologically and sociologically with the mindset. It's not too far from climate change denial, antivax, and plenty of other beliefs based on a mixture of paranoia toward existing institutions and whatever spurious claims people latch onto. Having spent most of my life in and around hotbeds of these sorts of people, I find it pretty interesting to see these sorts of beliefs evolve. The most interesting part is that, even in fringe subcultures, people spend a whole lot of time arguing among themselves over whose "truth" is the real truth. Nothing quite as surreal as seeing videos of one Flat-Earther ranting about how another Flat-Earther is full of shit.

Reactions: Gen
The most interesting part is that, even in fringe subcultures, people spend a whole lot of time arguing among themselves over whose "truth" is the real truth. Nothing quite as surreal as seeing videos of one Flat-Earther ranting about how another Flat-Earther is full of shit.
Sort of reminds me of the disagreements about the the timing of the Rapture.

In the age of the internet, thinking the earth is flat is willful ignorance. We literally orbit it in a space station. Occam's god damn razor, people!

In the age of the internet, thinking the earth is flat is willful ignorance. We literally orbit it in a space station. Occam's god damn razor, people!

Allow me ta edumucate ya on the finer points of orbiting this here flat earth. Everyone is fooled by the gubment into thinking that ISS space station goes around a globe. But here's what that ain't tellin' us folks. It's actually a DOUBLE orbit! Yeah that's right. Ya see, the earth is what them mathemagical people call a 'frustrum' of a cone. That's fancy talk for the flat part left after you cut the tip off an ice cream cone.

So that ISS goes once around the top edge of the ice cream cone looking down on one side. Then it flips to the other side and goes around again. It just keeps doing that all the live long day so it can get pictures of both sides! They just never show the flipping over to the other side cause they don't want to show the edge and let on the earth is flat.

Here, I made a fancy graphical to explain it right easy.
flat earth.png

Can't argue with that!

I always thought this was just a group of trolls baiting suckers to come in and debate them. People really don't take this seriously do they?

I had a neighbor who really thought the earth was flat. There are that level of uneducated people out there. They are all among us.

• Helpful!
Reactions: KylieJacobs
I had a neighbor who really thought the earth was flat. There are that level of uneducated people out there. They are all among us.
Some of those out-there theories (JFK assasination, chemtrails, etc...) are worth sifting through for grains of truth. The flat-earth one is utterly without merit as far as I can tell.

Yes, there is proof which they will gladly contest and say it's faked - some flat earthers even try to use footage from rocket launches to prove that the Earth is flat, which is highly amusing considering how much evidence is present on those videos that is against their theory. And I wouldn't be surprised if there's a big overlap between flat earth believers and those who believe Nasa faked the moon landings with Coppola.

Reactions: ExcellaExe
Yes, there is proof which they will gladly contest and say it's faked - some flat earthers even try to use footage from rocket launches to prove that the Earth is flat, which is highly amusing considering how much evidence is present on those videos that is against their theory. And I wouldn't be surprised if there's a big overlap between flat earth believers and those who believe Nasa faked the moon landings with Coppola.

I'm also convinced that 95% of them at least the one's with decent arguments are intentionally fucking with you :p

For some reason I think this is a big deal now because a basketball player (could be a basketball club thing?) said something about it and it isn't that big of a deal. Sure, it doesn't hurt anyone in this day and age to believe in flat earth stuff--not like in the olden days when you could literally be burned at the stake for mentioning otherwise--but you would hope that people are capable of seeing when a person is being dumb. I guess when a authority figure (like many celebrities and sports people feel the need to be because their voice reaches out farther and people with impressionable minds might be influenced by their words) is saying dumb stuff then the media will call them out.

Interesting that this guy wasn't called out on his beliefs that dinosaurs weren't real (I also think he believes in mermaids, but I could be wrong about that) like the media is doing with the flat earth basketball guys. Why pick on just the basketball guys, media? What is the deal? Why are basketball guys supposed to believe in science and stuff but football players get a free pass? I think it might be his placement on the team that made his comments not as important, as say, a quarterback:

Sure, it doesn't hurt anyone in this day and age to believe in flat earth stuff--not like in the olden days when you could literally be burned at the stake for mentioning otherwise--but you would hope that people are capable of seeing when a person is being dumb.

Except that we're slowly descending back towards such bad times - just look at the propaganda during Brexit (and also during the US elections), where a big part of the argument from the winning side was based on 'who needs experts? we have had enough of them' - expertise and knowledge are starting to be despised and rejected in favour of beliefs that most of the time are nonsensical and can easily be disproven with data/science.

This subject makes me remember when I was travelling and lay with my head out of my tent looking at the stars, I saw a bright satellite go past and realised it might be the international space station. I looked it up and found it was (which seemed pretty awesome!). I then travelled for a few more weeks and was outside again listening to my friends play music and the space station went over again. So yes, I believe the world is round :p did anyway, but there is pretty decent evidence that it's going around in a circle seeing as it came back.

I mean, it could all be a conspiracy, but my god, who has that kind of time on their hands to make all of it up? Besides, when you're in a plane very high I swear you can see a slight roundness.

Reactions: SaffronBurke
This is really a discussion in several places on the internet. What do you believe?

I believe way to many people, have way to much time on their hands. ..Now the Apollo moon landings scam is another subject entirely, Neil Armstrong was the first Astronaut to be directed by Stanley Kubrick but not much else.

It was sure windy up there on the moon.

"Come back later Jack, NASA just called."

Status
Not open for further replies.