AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Threw and through....

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
JerryBoBerry said:
***NOT directed to forum members***

It's BESTIALITY you idiots. For as much as you like to bring it up every time you see an animal on screen you'd think you'd learn to spell the damn word! It's not BEAST it's BEST followed by that important I. So next time you ask a model to do beastality I hope a rabid raccoon chews your balls off. :-x

Yes, I've been seeing an influx of this the past week.
I.... actually didn't know that. Really?

AmberCutie said:
JerryBoBerry said:
***NOT directed to forum members***

It's BESTIALITY you idiots. For as much as you like to bring it up every time you see an animal on screen you'd think you'd learn to spell the damn word! It's not BEAST it's BEST followed by that important I. So next time you ask a model to do beastality I hope a rabid raccoon chews your balls off. :-x

Yes, I've been seeing an influx of this the past week.
I.... actually didn't know that. Really?

Oh crap. I just annoyed the host. :? :shock: :oops:

Uhm, yeah. The 'beast' part is a common misspelling. http://www.thefreedictionary.com/bestiality

Slinking back into my corner now.

Reactions: LiLredhairedgrl
I imagine the reason for the very common spelling error is because of the meaning plus the common mispronunciation. Should be a short "e" sound.

Nordling said:
I imagine the reason for the very common spelling error is because of the meaning plus the common mispronunciation. Should be a short "e" sound.
It actually can be pronounced with both a long or short e sound. Either one is correct. The confusion of spelling comes from it's root word it was derived from. It wasn't beast, it was bestial. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bestial That word can also be pronounced both ways as well.

True, but the short "e" is preferred. Dictionaries report how words are used and pronounced more than how words are correct. At any rate, the common long "e" pronunciation very likely adds to the spelling confusion.

Nordling said:
True, but the short "e" is preferred. Dictionaries report how words are used and pronounced more than how words are correct. At any rate, the common long "e" pronunciation very likely adds to the spelling confusion.
I think that's exactly why I'd have never really noticed the spelling error. Since I've been pronouncing it "beeesteeealitty" I'd never have thought it wasn't "beast" in the spelling. Best has a short e sound, I'd have never thought that was the word when I was pronouncing a long e.

AmberCutie said:
I've been pronouncing it "beeesteeealitty"

That's actually how I have always pronounced it too.

I also hear it sometimes pronounced kind of like (as near as my ears perceive) "beschality" or "bestchality." (short e)

JerryBoBerry said:
AmberCutie said:
I've been pronouncing it "beeesteeealitty"

That's actually how I have always pronounced it too.
That's how I pronounce it as well. I figured phonetics just worked for that one... Guess not.

Reactions: LadyLuna
Hairbrained instead of harebrained

hare·brained (hârbrnd)
adj.
Foolish; flighty: a harebrained scheme.
Usage Note: The first use of harebrained dates to 1548. The spelling hairbrained also has a long history, going back to the 1500s when hair was a variant spelling of hare. The hair variant was preserved in Scotland into the 18th century, and as a result it is impossible to tell exactly when people began writing hairbrained in the belief that the word means "having a hair-sized brain" rather than "with no more sense than a hare." While hairbrained continues to be used and confused, it should be avoided in favor of harebrained which has been established as the correct spelling.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Panty waste or pantywaist? Pantywaist never made sense to me until I found the original meaning.

1. pantywaist

A feminine, limp-wristed guy who lacks courage. May or may not be gay, but is usually assumed to be.

1. panty waste

1) The dried crusty mucus secretion left in girls and women's undergarments, usually resulting from excessive stimulation of the vaginal area. Also known as "clitty litter".
2) A sissified boy who is afraid of getting hurt and will run away from confrontation.
see also - pussy, wussy, chicken shit

HOWEVER,

(http://www.randomhouse.com/wotd/index.p ... e=19990427)

That would be "waist" -- not "waste".

The usual meaning of the word pantywaist is 'an effeminate or weak man or boy; sissy'. Example: "I think my career has shown I'm not exactly a pantywaist" (John Wayne, in a 1971 Playboy interview).

The original sense, though, referred to an article of clothing for children. This pantywaist was an undergarment consisting of short pants and a shirt that buttoned together at the waist. By metonymy, this children's garment was applied disparagingly to an older male who would never normally wear one.

Other clothing-based metonyms are skirt as an older slang term for a woman and suit as a recent word for a business executive. An expression that parallels pantywaist in using a woman's garment to refer to weak men is the British English big girl's blouse; the Longman Idioms Dictionary cites such examples as "Go on then, try and hit me, you big girl's blouse" and "You can't sit in a pub and drink Coke, you big girl's blouse!" Some other metonyms referring disparagingly to men based on items considered inappropriate for masculine men are creampuff and the older cake-eater.

The literal use of pantywaist as an item of clothing dates from the 1920s. The 'sissy' sense is first recorded in the mid-1930s and became common rather quickly.

You know what annoys me the most? That I know all this shit and my stupid fingers go ahead and type out your instead of you're anyway. This is mostly a problem in chat which also tends to be late at night. I bet my fingers are too busy wondering why the hell I'm up at that hour to give a crap.

Protocosmo said:
You know what annoys me the most? That I know all this shit and my stupid fingers go ahead and type out your instead of you're anyway. This is mostly a problem in chat which also tends to be late at night. I bet my fingers are too busy wondering why the hell I'm up at that hour to give a crap.

We all do this, and that's why it's so difficult to be a member of the grammar/word usage police. Well, that and the fact that people find it to be damn annoying. Its/it's, you're/your, etc. Who has time (or the desire) to proof every blessed tweet or chat comment? I think we should all tolerate errors in this form of communication, but that doesn't make me feel any less embarrassed when I'm guilty of it!

So, here's my beef for the day. Read an excellent article in the newspaper today. Well researched, reported and written -- except for the use of forego instead of forgo. I really shouldn't let it bother me, but it kind of bugged me nonetheless. If you're in the business of using words, you should really get that sort of thing correct.

pg240 said:
Protocosmo said:

We all do this, and that's why it's so difficult to be a member of the grammar/word usage police. Well, that and the fact that people find it to be damn annoying. Its/it's, you're/your, etc. Who has time (or the desire) to proof every blessed tweet or chat comment? I think we should all tolerate errors in this form of communication, but that doesn't make me feel any less embarrassed when I'm guilty of it!

So, here's my beef for the day. Read an excellent article in the newspaper today. Well researched, reported and written -- except for the use of forego instead of forgo. I really shouldn't let it bother me, but it kind of bugged me nonetheless. If you're in the business of using words, you should really get that sort of thing correct.

Valid.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/forego

That may be a case of local variants based on geographical locations. It's similar to how yogurt, yoghurt or yoghourt are all correct spellings as well. It's just whichever you grew up with is how you're use to spelling it.

pg240 said:
Protocosmo said:

I tend to overlook it the first couple times from someone, but when the person uses it wrongly consistently, I start to correct them. And I'll always want to take a red pen to something which can be previewed and corrected before it's sent.

As for my own short-communication methods, I self-correct as I type. And if I missed one, I correct afterwards with a *.

JerryBoBerry said:
pg240 said:

Valid.

That may be a case of local variants based on geographical locations. It's similar to how yogurt, yoghurt or yoghourt are all correct spellings as well. It's just whichever you grew up with is how you're use to spelling it.

I've never seen it as "yoghourt". I've seen yoghurt, which I always want to pronounce yog-hurt (yog with a long o). But yoghourt, makes me want to prounce the ourt like in "court". yo-court? :p

JerryBoBerry said:
Valid.

They're both valid spellings for words that have different meanings, like the words "potato" and "elephant".

Sevrin said:
JerryBoBerry said:
Valid.

They're both valid spellings for words that have different meanings, like the words "potato" and "elephant".

I looked at the freedictionary link...

forego "to precede in time, place etc."
forgo "to abstain from"

Sevrin is right.

LadyLuna said:
Sevrin said:
JerryBoBerry said:
Valid.

forgo "to abstain from"

Sevrin is right.

They are indeed both valid spellings, but in the article I read this morning the writer used the wrong one. He meant forgo but used forego. That was the point I intended to make but didn't..

pg240 said:
LadyLuna said:
Sevrin said:
JerryBoBerry said:
Valid.

forgo "to abstain from"

Sevrin is right.

They are indeed both valid spellings, but in the article I read this morning the writer used the wrong one. He meant forgo but used forego. That was the point I intended to make but didn't..

You pointed out something. Jerry found that they are both valid words, but didn't research thoroughly, because the words have different meanings. The free dictionary claims that forego is a variant of forgo, which makes it seem like they are interchangeable. But when you go to the forgo definition, it's a completely different word, so maybe they have similar roots, but they have completely different meanings.

Thus you can see, Sevrin and I were backing up your peeve against Jerry's grammar check. ^_^

(To untwist my phrasing, your claim was that they are different words. Jerry's claim was that they are the same word with different spellings. Sevrin and I point out they have different meanings, and thus are different words.)

I was not intending to gang up on anyone, or make anyone feel defensive. I was simply adding what the definitions actually are, for those who don't want to click the links.

Reactions: pg240
LadyLuna said:
pg240 said:
LadyLuna said:
Sevrin said:
JerryBoBerry said:
Valid.

forgo "to abstain from"

Sevrin is right.

You pointed out something. Jerry found that they are both valid words, but didn't research thoroughly, because the words have different meanings. The free dictionary claims that forego is a variant of forgo, which makes it seem like they are interchangeable. But when you go to the forgo definition, it's a completely different word, so maybe they have similar roots, but they have completely different meanings.

Thus you can see, Sevrin and I were backing up your peeve against Jerry's grammar check. ^_^

(To untwist my phrasing, your claim was that they are different words. Jerry's claim was that they are the same word with different spellings. Sevrin and I point out they have different meanings, and thus are different words.)

I was not intending to gang up on anyone, or make anyone feel defensive. I was simply adding what the definitions actually are, for those who don't want to click the links.

I wasn't taking offense or being defensive. Just wanted it known that I knew what in the hell I was talking about! I did understand what you guys were doing. It's all good. :)

I don't have the luxury of having grammar pet peeves. I'm too busy making the grammar mistakes.

Poisonous and venomous...

Is that rattlesnake poisonous? No, poisons are substances that are toxic (cause harm) if swallowed or inhaled. Venoms are generally not toxic if swallowed, and must be injected under the skin (by snakes, spiders, etc.) into the tissues that are normally protected by skin in order to be toxic.

I may have posted this already, but breath (noun) and breathe (verb).

I can barely breathe. I can't take a breath.

:text-+1:

OMG I can't breath.

:text-banplz:

(I guess one can assume that if a person can't breathe, they may have forgotten the e out of distress.)

Bocefish said:

Is that rattlesnake poisonous? No, poisons are substances that are toxic (cause harm) if swallowed or inhaled. Venoms are generally not toxic if swallowed, and must be injected under the skin (by snakes, spiders, etc.) into the tissues that are normally protected by skin in order to be toxic.
Interesting, but maybe not entirely true. My American Heritage defines venom thus:

ven·om (v+nZMm)
n.
1. A poisonous secretion of an animal, such as a snake, spider, or scorpion, usually transmitted by a bite or sting.
2. A poison.

Of course if you only use the root history, you might say, yeah, but poison comes from a root that means "to drink." Yes, but words change, and the Latin root of "venom" means . . . poison!

I don't entirely disagree with you though, I think that speaking conventionally, each word should be kept in a neat little nook. :)

Someone may have already posted on these two words, if so, sorry!

Affect:

As a verb:

To have an influence on or effect a change in: “Inflation affects the buying power of the dollar.”

As a noun (uncommon):

Feeling or emotion, especially as manifested by facial expression or body language: "The soldiers seen on television had been carefully chosen for blandness of affect" –Norman Mailer.

Effect:

As a noun:

The power to produce an outcome or achieve a result; influence: “The drug had an immediate effect on the pain.” “The government's action had no effect on the trade imbalance.”

As a verb (uncommon):

To bring into existence or to to produce as a result. “He effected his escape with knotted bedsheets.” “You will effect these changes on Monday.”

Nordling said:
Bocefish said:

Interesting, but maybe not entirely true. My American Heritage defines venom thus:

ven·om (v+nZMm)
n.
1. A poisonous secretion of an animal, such as a snake, spider, or scorpion, usually transmitted by a bite or sting.
2. A poison.

Of course if you only use the root history, you might say, yeah, but poison comes from a root that means "to drink." Yes, but words change, and the Latin root of "venom" means . . . poison!

I don't entirely disagree with you though, I think that speaking conventionally, each word should be kept in a neat little nook. :)

Easier to copy & paste this one...

Ingesting venom will not cause any adverse effects unless you have an open wound somewhere along the upper digestive tract, such as a stomach ulcer, that would allow it into the blood stream or in direct contact with muscle or nervous tissue (note that some venoms attack the blood system, some attack the nervous system, and some simply destroy tissue). Venoms are typically proteins and both digestive acids and heat will break them down so they will be harmless. The process is called "denaturing" and basically means the molecule is decomposed or broken down by either cooking or digestion.
You would be safest to cook the venom simply because you may not be aware that you have a cut, sore or ulcer.
Poisons, on the other hand, such as arsenic, are chemical compounds that survive digestion and cause damage to the body whether cooked or not and through any form of ingestion.
So eat spiders and cobras if you wish. Just don’t let them inject you with their venom. And don’t add a touch of arsenic or one of the other poisons to your food.
Just for grins, check out http://listverse.com/nature/top-10-anim ... -venomous/ for a list of animals, some of which are venomous and some of which are poisonous (and a few that are both).
Sources: My Experience as a Biologist
http://askville.amazon.com/eat-venomous ... d=10748567

Nordling said:
https://www.ambercutie.com/forums/viewt ... ct#p296769

In order to search for multiple terms in a single post or topic, put a "+" immediately before each search term. One can search for posts containing both "affect" and "effect" by doing a search for "+affect +effect", without the quotation marks.

This technique will even turn up the following post by a dedicated ACF poster.

https://www.ambercutie.com/forums/viewt ... ct#p296975

:whistle:

Reactions: Nordling
Sevrin said:
Nordling said:
https://www.ambercutie.com/forums/viewt ... ct#p296769

In order to search for multiple terms in a single post or topic, put a "+" immediately before each search term. One can search for posts containing both "affect" and "effect" by doing a search for "+affect +effect", without the quotation marks.

This technique will even turn up the following post by a dedicated ACF poster.

https://www.ambercutie.com/forums/viewt ... ct#p296975

:whistle:
:-D So my memory of my own activities is less than 8 months long. Old age is a terrible thing. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.