AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

When a guy "just wants to know your real name."

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just giggle when someone asks my real name. I think that happened twice and then no one ever asked again. :lol:

Reactions: Nordling
Miss_Lollipop said:
huh.

Should I not ask your name when I start a private then?

Cos I usually ask for a first name... so that it feels more intimate. I don't care if its real or not... and if they say no I wouldn't push it, but now wondering if i should even do that.
I think you should continue for the exact same reason that you already gave.
not all members are overly paranoid.

personally I have no problem giving out my first name (Greg, if anyone cares, but you don't like you said)

being a guy that changes his nick at the drop of a hat, I prefer to be called by my name rather than honey or baby (which just plain annoys the fuck out of me) or whatever nickname I've got going that week.
paying 60/80 token a minute fora pvt, i'm sorry but, I want a little personalisation... but thats just my humble opinion

emptiedglass said:
Miss_Lollipop said:
huh.

Should I not ask your name when I start a private then?

Cos I usually ask for a first name... so that it feels more intimate. I don't care if its real or not... and if they say no I wouldn't push it, but now wondering if i should even do that.

We had chatted in pm prior to the show, and I told her I wasn't comfortable sharing that information. She was pretty insistent on it and demanding it before getting to the good part the private show was completely inappropriate IMHO.
I don't mind so much when models ask, as I politely tell them I don't give it out. If they don't leave it be after that point, that's when I get a little pissed off.

I can understand asking someones name in the beginning of a private to make it more personal, but I agree, to demand it like that is just absolutely inappropriate. :snooty:

I am not sure that I see a security risk or problem giving someone your first name. If you are wanting to keep an emotional distance in your job and someone using your real name would make things more difficult, that is certainly understandable. If they want your full name, then there is a problem and makes me wonder what the hell they are thinking. Meeting people in real life you don't ask for someone's full name.

Just Me said:
I am not sure that I see a security risk or problem giving someone your first name. If you are wanting to keep an emotional distance in your job and someone using your real name would make things more difficult, that is certainly understandable. If they want your full name, then there is a problem and makes me wonder what the hell they are thinking. Meeting people in real life you don't ask for someone's full name.

It would be really easy to search for someone if you knew their first name and other minor details, too (like general location, age, etc.). That's the security risk there.

I think it would be hilarious if all models started saying their real name was Murgatroyd. Clueless guys would be like "Damn girl, I met six girls today with that name. wtf?"

And I don't mind telling models (or members) my first name, because it's super-common. If you can find me based on that, then kudos to you, sir or madam. I don't understand why a member would get bent out of shape about a model knowing his name was John or something, but I suppose if it was an unusual name like--I don't know, Barack or Mitt--then I could understand.

Pooky said:
What do you do?

I'm curious what other model's reactions are to this. Specifically the girls who have a stage name.

Do you get asked frequently?

If so, what is your reaction? Girls with stage names, do you pretend as if that's your real name? Have you ever been asked follow up questions regarding your privacy from your customers?

I find that admitting my stage name isn't my real name makes them beg for my real name.

Annoying.

Thoughts?

In my opinion just make a first name up, I also ask sometimes what is your name, but I don't really expect to get an "honest" answer ....

But you should be careful about using your mfc name for other services...
For example a girl I liked disappeared from MFC, when I googled for her mfc name I found another service with the same user name and she is happily posting current pics there and sharing private informations....
so keep things strictly seperated

:)

Reactions: emptiedglass
I realized i had made the classic schoolboy error of making my original MFC name far too similar to my "real world accounts" so i changed it up.

Just a personal preference, I like to separate what gawaan on MFC to my real, mundane life, its not a trust thing, its just convenience and there are certain people, especially older family members that i cant imagine even trying to explain MFC to :lol:

From a models pov, i'd find it a bit freaky if someone was overly insistent in knowing my real name, ive only ever takn the name from usernames or made a nickname based on it, I have got to know a couple of models names (possibly, they might be being safe and using a "real name" as someone said) buit id never blurt it out in free chat as its a bit of an abuse of trust!

Reactions: JimsX
Just Me said:

It is insane how easy it is in this day and age to find someone with only their picture and first name. Especially if you spend enough time in their room and find out what time zone they are, especially if you figure out or they tell you what state they are in or city they are near. Insanely easy.

BlueViolet said:
Just Me said:

It is insane how easy it is in this day and age to find someone with only their picture and first name. Especially if you spend enough time in their room and find out what time zone they are, especially if you figure out or they tell you what state they are in or city they are near. Insanely easy.

If they already have all that other information, your first name is the least of your security problems. I am not saying you should not worry about your security. My point was a common first name is probably the least risky thing someone could know about you. If you add it to other clues it might help someone figure out who you really are but that is the case with all the information they can find just by watching your room.

LOL I tell them my real name is Ryidia...I get asked all the time. However two or three ppl called me by my real name...no offense but I keep work far far away From my personal life. Yea ill tweet random and sexy things or what I'm doing but as far as they're concerned I'm ryidia from disneyworld (which would mean FL in their minds)

Reactions: Just Me
I tell them I don't give out my real name for safety reasons, && tell them they can call me by my cam name, or the real fake name I invented for myself. If they keep bitching, then I tell them to STFU, && warn that I'll 86 the shit out of them, or I sign, then tell them to guess my name, then the first name they guess, I tell them that's what it is. Then I ask everyone else to guess, && tell them whatever names they guess are my names too. HAHAHAHA.

(I've been gone a few days, apologies if this thread was dying)

My response is

"I'm not comfortable with sharing that information. However, you can have my pen name. It's Eve Matteo." (Muh-TAY-oh, I type and say the whole name)

If they push for it, I tell them that if they ask again, I'll ban them. I've only had to ban three people for that.

I'm not giving my real name on purpose. It's common name throughout the world but connected with my surname... Google would give out some interesting facts :woops: I've blocked my Facebook account, I'm not posting there much anyway. But there are some projects I've been taking part in, etc. I won't take these info down just to feel more comfortable about my safety as a camgirl :lol:

Names on the internet are equivalent to eyes being the window to your soul.

The way I look at this situation is, would you walk up to a random hot girl on the sidewalk and ask for her number (assuming your wearing a cloak that prevents her from knowing who you are). As a note I can be google by my first name and two other key words which people could easily gather from my hobbies....that is why "Greggory" is my pseudonym

Greggory said:
Names on the internet are equivalent to eyes being the window to your soul.

Would you walk up to a random hot girl on the sidewalk and ask for her number.

LOL. Some guys actually do that, and then when the girl politely turns them down, they're like "Damn, that's fucked up...how you 'gon do me like that?" :woops:

mynameisbob84 said:
There's never any real reason for a member to need to know your name. Maybe if they were sending you a package (and you trusted them to send you a packkage) and you lived with housemates/parents, and you were worried a fake name might arouse suspicion from your housemates/parents. That's pretty much the only scenario I can think of where a member might legitimately need to know your real name.
I agree with the no need to know. I also agree that no one worth their salt should ever ask for a Models real name, and should understand it as out of bounds.

That said, I am going to out myself and tell you that I very much like knowing the real first name of Models I become close with. I don't care that their real first name might not be their real name, as long as I think it is, it works for me. I will tell you the only time this matters to me, is when I am writing something in private that I feel very heart felt about. It is like talking to that person directly for me, and when I say, "Oh but don't you see sexy snatch", and It does not feel right.

That I can remember, I have never asked a Model for her real name, but in saying that I play a word game, b/c I am guilty of the same, by getting to a place in a PM/email/etc, and saying, "Oh but don't you see, (I wish I knew your real name, b/c I want [b]you[/b] to know I mean this not sexy snatch) sexy snatch" Or something similar. It may not technically be asking for their real name, but it is presure just the same. The fact that I have only done that two times, does not make it any less wrong.

I find this desire to know the real name of a Model is much greater when their stage name is one like Sexy Snatch, or Red 69 UK, than when it is Evvie, or Amber, etc.

All the real first names, (or those I believe to be real first names) I have for Models with the exception of two, were volunteered to me with no mention of it in any way from me. I personally have found it very charming, if beguiling when a Model has closed an email, or PM with Sue, or Amy, instead of S.Snatch after we have been communicating for some time. The fact that Sue or Amy may be just as much a stage name as Sexy snatch, I don't question, but the fact that I now have been given what would seem to be a real name is very captivating, and makes me feel a little special.

If all that seems like the needy wants of an old man who wishes to feel some closeness to Sexy Snatch beyond seeing her get naked and please herself, well... :)

PS We are all big kids here, and no longer believe in Santa Clause, so I wont pretend I believe the relationships, no matter how close, I ever have with a Cam Model are 100% genuine, (hell I don't pretend my RW friendships are 100% genuine). So with that in mind, I can logically say I think the idea of volunteering a first real name to a Member that there is some closeness with at some point can be a charming device, (for lack of a better word) in the courtship of said member. Of course the value of doing so must be weighted against the possible fact that doing so could cause the Member to press for more, (something that it has never caused me to do, but with some I'm sure it would), and not using a real real name just makes good sense. Ppl will believe what they want to whenever possible, and if someone wants to feel special, and is given reason to believe they are, than that is what they will believe. I don't think there is anything fundamentally wrong with that, and if, as a Model, you do not share your real name with everyone, then those who you do share it with are in fact special by definition.

Sorry for the long post and long PS,and I have just realized this is in the 'Ask a Model' sub so I will not post it here.... I could not decided which was the bigger crime - posting this post as a Member in the ask a model's sub, or starting a new thread for no good reason, so I left it here, out of pure laziness.

Reactions: JimsX and LadyLuna
I was asked this question all the time when I danced. At least once a night someone wanted to know my real name. It's rarely been asked in other segments of the sex industry. I've always gone by real-sounding names though, and that may have something to do with it.

I'm too new at camming to have a feel for it in this job; no one has asked yet. And "Lori" is realistic.

LoriLoves said:
I was asked this question all the time when I danced. At least once a night someone wanted to know my real name. It's rarely been asked in other segments of the sex industry. I've always gone by real-sounding names though, and that may have something to do with it.

I'm too new at camming to have a feel for it in this job; no one has asked yet. And "Lori" is realistic.
What's your real name?
There, glad to be your first. :lol:

Reactions: JimsX and camstory
Just Me said:
BlueViolet said:
Just Me said:

If they already have all that other information, your first name is the least of your security problems. I am not saying you should not worry about your security. My point was a common first name is probably the least risky thing someone could know about you. If you add it to other clues it might help someone figure out who you really are but that is the case with all the information they can find just by watching your room.
I know the timezone and state for a huge number of American models; the territories which many Canadian models live in, the countries European models live in, and amongst those the cities many of them live in or near. For most models, that is almost common knowledge. I would estimate that for popular models, thousands of people may know or be easily able to find what city they live near. It doesn't seem to me like people knowing that information is a huge deal, and that adding a real name on top of that is the "least of your security problems." Considering names are an excellent tool for narrowing down searches, I would say that giving out a first name actually increases risk more than anything else. I also feel that a lot of people vastly underestimate the time and effort a stalker or vengeful person is willing to spend searching for a model.

This is probably more due to liberal paranoia (or whatever) than anything else, but I actually don't give my real name to most people I meet IRL either. Unless I am friends with the person or need to give out my real information for business/legal purposes, I see no reason why strangers need to know my name, what part of town I live in, what I do for a living or where I go to school :dontknow: If I don't tell strangers IRL what my name is, I see no reason why I should tell anonymous strangers online what my real name is.

Evvie said:
This is probably more due to liberal paranoia (or whatever) than anything else, but I actually don't give my real name to most people I meet IRL either. Unless I am friends with the person or need to give out my real information for business/legal purposes, I see no reason why strangers need to know my name, what part of town I live in, what I do for a living or where I go to school :dontknow: If I don't tell strangers IRL what my name is, I see no reason why I should tell anonymous strangers online what my real name is.

I agree with this. I use public transportation once a week, and see this sometimes...female passengers trying to mind their own business and just get to their destination, but some dude on the bus is all in their face asking a million questions (her name, where she lives, if she works around here or attends school, etc.).

I'm more cautious now than I used to be. A long time ago I was on a bus talking to someone I actually did want to exchange info with, and later I found out some dude sitting nearby had been eavesdropping/peeking at what I was writing down...so he had written down my number and texted me that night. :woops:

JerryBoBerry said:
LoriLoves said:

What's your real name?
There, glad to be your first. :lol:

I have been Name Devirgined in Camland! ;)

It's "Lori". Hee hee

Evvie said:

Excellent practice!

My car broke down recently and my neighbor, who I see everyday, drove me to the auto shop. I paid with cash and they asked me for my name and phone number for their computer. After making up both my neighbor commented outside the store "You told him your name was Daniel, I thought your name was Jeff?"

"I answer to both the same. Unless I pay with credit card I've never given a clerk my real info."

It's not Jeff either. Living here two years and I haven't told my neighbor's my real name yet. :lol:

JerryBoBerry said:
Evvie said:

Excellent practice!

My car broke down recently and my neighbor, who I see everyday, drove me to the auto shop. I paid with cash and they asked me for my name and phone number for their computer. After making up both my neighbor commented outside the store "You told him your name was Daniel, I thought your name was Jeff?"

"I answer to both the same. Unless I pay with credit card I've never given a clerk my real info."

It's not Jeff either. Living here two years and I haven't told my neighbor's my real name yet. :lol:

So let's say you and your neighbor become good friends... How do you explain to him that Jeff is actually NOT your real name? :think: Seems like hiding your name from people you're bound to have multiple interactions with is more trouble than it's worth, to me.

"what's your name baby?"

"Scarlet"

"ooh pretty name"

:-D

When it's someone I actually have trust in and have talked to for awhile, I'll tell them a *version* of my real name, but it's not my actual legal name on record and I don't go by it anywhere else (never have, never will). Kind of like a nickname and more personal, but without a strong risk attached.

NataliaGrey said:
JerryBoBerry said:
Evvie said:

Excellent practice!

So let's say you and your neighbor become good friends... How do you explain to him that Jeff is actually NOT your real name? :think: Seems like hiding your name from people you're bound to have multiple interactions with is more trouble than it's worth, to me.
You have to understand my current situation. I moved to this apartment for about 4 years total to go back to college ONLY (about halfway through now). After that any job I could get would mean moving out of state. There's no jobs for my degree in this state. And when I did move in, let's just say these are not the 'best of people.' So I have no desire to get to know my neighbor's beyond the casual. We'll never be friends. That's putting it nicely.
One of the reasons I spend so much time chatting on here and mfc.

Reactions: JimsX and LadyLuna
JerryBoBerry said:
NataliaGrey said:
JerryBoBerry said:
Excellent practice!

You have to understand my current situation. I moved to this apartment for about 4 years total to go back to college ONLY (about halfway through now). After that any job I could get would mean moving out of state. There's no jobs for my degree in this state. And when I did move in, let's just say these are not the 'best of people.' So I have no desire to get to know my neighbor's beyond the casual. We'll never be friends. That's putting it nicely.

He seems pretty nice for a not-friend. I'd be a little upset if I drove my neighbor to the auto shop only to find out he thinks of me that way, and would certainly not be doing any more favors. But to each his own!

NataliaGrey said:
JerryBoBerry said:

He seems pretty nice for a not-friend. I'd be a little upset if I drove my neighbor to the auto shop only to find out he thinks of me that way, and would certainly not be doing any more favors. But to each his own!
He asked for gas money up front to go a mile and back. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.