AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Windows 10...

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeahhhhhh,I'm gonna wait on this one. Especially since my computer went and blue screened on me today. Windows keeps telling me to download it, but I'm like "nope". Hopefully it doesn't automatically download.

Personally I would wait. The only reason I updated it on my laptop is because it's a spare and I don't use it for much. Mostly when I travel and then I only have a few bare essential software titles installed. So it didn't hurt too bad when Win 10 messed up 3 times and the only way to recover was do a factory reset. Yes that wiped out everything I had on it, so it was right back to like I had just bought it at the store and had to 'finish' the windows install.

So on my my main desktop I won't risk it right now. Definitely waiting a couple months or more till a LOT of updates come out or a full fledged service pack one. Also when reviews are saying it's settled down more.

If I only had one computer and was depending on it for my work I wouldn't even consider it at all for months. You have a year to claim the free upgrade. No need to hurry IMHO.

Another concern is how my operating system will handle it. Isn't that just asking for trouble? Wouldn't that make my computer much more slow?

I believe that Windows 10 is an operating system. You would be replacing your OS with Windows 10.

I am a little sad that I lost some files I will never see again, but I do not want to dwell on the past. I have accepted that windows 10 and this laptop do not like each other at all, and did a factory restore since I could no longer boot up all the way and all my efforts to restore 10 kept failing due to mysterious errors. I am simply going to have to wait for the manufactures to start putting out nice laptops with 10, and upgrade that way.

Reactions: JerryBoBerry
Windows 10 has completely broke my computer. I'm getting a error message and it's not even loading. Repair isn't even working. Need to find someway to fix it.

Sooooo I can't work just it's fixed, just feckin' great.

Windows 10 has completely broke my computer. I'm getting a error message and it's not even loading. Repair isn't even working. Need to find someway to fix it.

Sooooo I can't work just it's fixed, just feckin' great.
That is what happened to me, I had to do a factory restore on mine. I really tried to fix it, but when I tried to roll it back to a stable point windows 10 ate the roll back save. When you boot up look and see if you have an option to press esc or an f key to get to a boot menu before windows starts to load.

One of the things I was doing when it royally messed up [one of the times] was trying to connect to a wireless printer on the network. It found the printer and as soon as i chose it and hit next - blue screen of death.

After several restarts where it tried to fix itself it went into recovery mode. Tried all the options there and it just came back up to recovery mode. Finally full factory reset worked (the last option before reinstalling win 8 on it). But it wipes everything on your computer.

It's not a good upgrade OS yet.

This has definitely made me decide to back up every personal file I have to my onedrive cloud account. Luckily I have 10TB of storage, so literally every file is gonna be on there before I attempt to upgrade my main desktop.

Reactions: Shaun__
New Windows OS are like the Star Trek movies - basically every other one will be shit.

95 - Meh.
XP - Loved by all!
Vista - BURN IT TO HELL
7 - its no XP, but its not Vista so... CLOSE ENOUGH TO GREAT
8 - WTF? Grab your Pitchforks!
10 - "what happened to 9? fuck it, its better than 8!"

You missed a few OSes....

Windows 98
Windows 98SE (their best OS until XP)
Windows ME (Millenium Edition)
Windows 2000

People who complain about windows vista never EVER used Windows ME.

My inlaws' computer had to have the HD reloaded and I told them "I can put your recovery disks in, and all will be back where you started OR I could load Windows 2000 Pro and hunt down your drivers. It'll take me longer, but I wouldn't feel right putting Windows ME back on.

At the time windows had CE, ME, NT

Kinda funny....

Yes way!
I was responding to Ruby Dimples post above mine.

• Funny!
Reactions: Ann_Sulu
I upgraded about a week ago, I downloaded the iso file, and forced it to upgrade that way, rather than waiting for Microsoft upgrade Prompt.

So far quite good, everything appears to be working fine, trackpad, wifi etc. all were working out of the box, although weirdly the scroll function does not work natively in the operating system. So scrolling through the apps in the start menu or setting, or even the edge browser I've found, can't be done. It's probably just a driver for the synapse trackpad, I'll check their website for a update.

I did do a destructive install, so my files were kept, but all my programs were removed, I like to install the fresh in case there are issues doing a upgrade.

Few issues, Microsoft has made it harder to change a few default apps, the browser for instance. You have to go into the settings, system, default apps and force it to change......naughty naughty Microsoft.

And the hugely worrying amount of personal data Microsoft is collecting by default with Windows 10 as seen here

http://arstechnica.com/information-...-much-privacy-by-default-heres-how-to-fix-it/

But thankfully most of the stuff can be turned off, but not all of it.

Personally, I'm liking Windows 10, there are a few quirks, It still has a hybrid feel, settings for example, you have the new settings in the start menu, but for anything deeper it puts you back to the standard control panel, everything is called a App, not a program, and I haven't found a way to make a group in the start menu, so all your programs are scattered about the place, rather than being able to create a 'Photo Folder' in the start menu, and put photoshop, paint etc like you could with Windows 7 start menu, in that one folder making it easier to find stuff, you'll have to remember it's name, which isn't always easy.

but overall I'm quite happy.

Reactions: DuoShi
Another thing to be aware of is the free upgrade is for one time, on one machine. So if you own one copy of windows 7; and you upgrade your old crappy desktop. When it comes time to build your new desktop. You'll find out you need to buy a new copy of windows 10.

Another thing to be aware of is the free upgrade is for one time, on one machine. So if you own one copy of windows 7; and you upgrade your old crappy desktop. When it comes time to build your new desktop. You'll find out you need to buy a new copy of windows 10.

But keep in mind a few things. First, pirated copies are being successfully updated. So, many people are grabbing licenses for all their machines. Just installing a hacked win 7 or win 8, activating it quick, then upgrading to a full legal license of Win 10 on all of them.

Then, while Microsoft's official statement is that upgrade will only be for use on that computer. The reality is every copy of windows in the past has only kept the activation records for 120 days. So OEM copies that were tied to motherboards could be easily installed on other computers all the time with no activation problems. As long as it had been longer than 4 months since that copy had been activated last.

Last, there's already win 10 activator hacks available on the internet. The win 7 and 8 activators were so good they fooled microsoft into giving valid upgrades to win 10 on them. So installing it on other computers is not even a problem worth considering.

W10 solved some nuanced things for me on my Surface Pro... it has a decent blend of quick access things for edge-swipe that is convenient. the off-line map(s) options is a nice feature.

short of DX12 [which no games are currently made], there is no reason, honestly, to run W10 with regard to a gaming/desktop/workstation -sentiment

There a huge list of things to turn off. As other people already mentioned most of them.

• Helpful!
Reactions: S0MA
I had a lot of issues with windows 10 when I upgraded. It wouldn't let me broadcast mic and video on any of my web browsers except Internet explorer I think and then some of my programs stopped working altogether. Downgraded back to Win8 and thats when the real problems arose. I don't quite know how to explain my issues, but I no longer can access any apps, my computer controls and my start menu is completely useless because nothing shows up. After finding firefox through my recycling bin (which was the only thing I could access) I finally got to broadcast, use my old programs I couldn't on win10 and do everything I needed online. However even though I have restarted and reinstalled 8.1 multiple times my apps are still gone and I still can't access my bios menu or computer controls. BUT I CAN REUPGRADE TO WIN 10. The only computer change it will allow me to do is upgrade, which is really fishy. Like I can play games and use firefox but if I want to do a system restore or disk clean up. Nope. I cannot even access certain parts of my computer because it says they don't exist. This could possibly not be the fault of Win10 but I find it really ironic and off putting.

Reading through this makes me definitely not want to download it until its been out for awhile and they have made some adjustments! I agree with a few other people on here that who knows since Microsoft is offering it for free...why is that?

A big thing is I think they made a huge mistake when they came out with Windows 8 for computers. I think that 8 should have been only for tablets or phones. I have been on my Moms computer with 8 and I had no freekin idea how to work it!

But definitely liking the interface of 10 and the new options...looking forward to when they fix some glitches and its been out for a little while.

I really enjoyed win 7 very easy to navigate, win8 was a mess with many apps and programs having to rewrite or add code in to be compatible with it. Win 10 is very functionable and simple to use, they just made a few changes it seems and took out some programming that left many software unable to operate properly in Win 8. IE is finally dead to a certain extent, it had just been built in to the OS I believe. I aint a CPU geek but I can noticed. Win 10 is free cause they just revamped win 8, and called it 10.
The vista era was a mess and so was 8. cOME ONE wIN 8.1 what a joke.
I love 10 , just like Win 7 for stupid Vista

Made the jump from 7 to 10 on two out of three machines. I still want a proper hierarchical start menu with flyout folders, but this is close enough that I can live with it.

So far only two compatibility issues, one of which had a free upgrade and the other a paid one.

A big thing is I think they made a huge mistake when they came out with Windows 8 for computers. I think that 8 should have been only for tablets or phones. I have been on my Moms computer with 8 and I had no freekin idea how to work it!

IMO The only way to make Win 8 okay to use on PC's was to install Classic Shell immediately to bypass the entire look of Win 8. Without it Win 8 was just a horrible mess.

IMO The only way to make Win 8 okay to use on PC's was to install Classic Shell immediately to bypass the entire look of Win 8. Without it Win 8 was just a horrible mess.

Yeah I had my Mom do that after she kept getting fed up with Windows 8 haha. Im really glad that they had this option for those that wanted it!

Reactions: JerryBoBerry
I'm happy to stick with Win 7 for now, I don't like all those privacy issues that 10 has.

I just learned a new weird thing about 10. Turning off my computer does not count as a restart for updates. I have to actually pick the restart option instead of just assuming windows would have enough sense to use the shutdown startup sequence instead.

Just had to get a new laptop so I got a nice Toshiba Satelite with Windows 10 and I actually really enjoy it so far! Has a lot of 7 qualites and some of Windows 8 qualites with apps you can get, and tabs on your start menu (if you wish.) It runs pretty quick and seems smoother in a way. Im pretty excited about it! We shall see how well it holds up or else Im switching back to 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.