AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Wonder Woman casting

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Red7227 said:
Shaun__ said:
I decided to investigate what female fighters look like, then I got distracted and forgot why I was doing it. Anyway here are some random pictures. I guess as long as Gal Gadot lives in a gym until filming starts, she can put on enough mass to look the part.

Yeah, that happens a lot.

I'm sure she'll be able to get a fighter physique, what bugs me is that here was one of the few chances to get a woman who's not a size zero as a character, and they typically chose a size zero model. I believe strongly in promoting a healthier body image that encourages women of all different sizes to be seen as hot. Yes this girl can put on some muscle, but she's still just going to look like every other woman out there in the media. Maybe this girl is going to do an excellent job, but there are so many eating disorders in young women nowadays, largely this is because of the media's refusal to cast any models or actresses who have any form of natural body fat. I feel wonder woman is a strong role in more than just her fighting skills, but in that she's a character who defies the standards that have been set for us looks wise. I'm not saying I'd be happy with a skinny little girl with big fake tits either, I'd just like to see a girl with a naturally bigger build, with bigger thighs and shoulders, with large hips, someone who'd fit a US size 8-10 rather than a size 0.

I'd like to see casting directors for films taking some of this stuff seriously, because it is serious. No one's promoting obesity as though it's an ideal way to live, yet being underweight is far more unhealthy than being overweight, so why are people promoting women being underweight? This girl Gal, though skinny is probably one of those naturally really skinny girls, so I'm not saying she's underweight, but for most women/teenagers wanting to look like her they'd have to go through some serious dieting just to attempt to get close.

I don't really get the big deal, look at Christian Bale and Tom Hardy before Batman. They got fucking huge. I think this girl can do it too. Everyone's counting her out way too quickly. And honestly, I don't think her being cast says much about how society views women's bodies; there are dozens of criteria to consider during casting before physique. And even though there are issues with how we judge women's bodies, it's not the entertainment industry's job to change society; if we expect that from them all we're doing is placing too much moral weight on their opinions.

IYA2t.jpg

HardyFebJuly2011.jpg

Christian Bale isn't really a good one to go by, he's a crazily committed method actor and has the ability to transform his body, some people just cannot put that sort of muscle on/change their bodies that much. Most actors, though committing to their roles, aren't nearly as committed as he is.

I also do think it's the media's responsibility to try to help promote healthier body images. The whole reason we have these problems are because of the media hiring only really skinny girls and showing it to be the "ideal". You occasionally see actresses with a few curves, but those actresses are also dieting and exercising through the roof to make their bodies lean, you very rarely see anyone on film who's got actual fat on them. As women naturally have two layers of fat and it's healthy for a woman to carry some fat (not loads but some), I think it's ridiculous that the media still refuses to use more natural, normal looking girls.

The media is a position of power, we're having all these images thrust upon us which are very difficult to ignore in the modern world, I think that people who want to work in the media should accept their position of power and take responsibility for the outcomes of their actions rather than always thinking about what will profit them the most. In my opinion it's not that different from being a politician, they're choosing to be in the public eye, most of them mainly want that position because of power, finances and other reasons rather than to help their country, but having those other bonus's means they need to think about the people around them and take responsibility for their role.

I think this whole "get a skinny girl and make her bulk up" thing doesn't give a good message. Kind of like in Brigit Jones where they got a really skinny girl to put on a bunch of fat, rather than finding a naturally curvy girl. She wasn't even particularly big, and still had tiny little legs in the film, yet the whole film was making fun of how fat she was. I love the film, but I was young when I watched it and knowing that Renee Zellweger is actually super skinny in real life does send the image that it's ok to put on weight for a role, but not to actually have that weight on a day to day basis. This is kind of the same, but in this case it's a tiny girl putting on loads of muscle for the sake of appearances, muscle she will go on to lose, because what place does a woman have putting on muscle other than for a role?

Isabella :love10: I love everything you've said!

(Also, with Tom Hardy, this was him in 2011 for Warrior:
SoYvgUQ.jpg

So while he, Christian, and most male superheros worked out extra hard for their roles and put on mass, it was evident beforehand that he could/would do it, and wasn't out of the realm of possibility for his body.)

Anyways I don't think it's necessarily that people are discounting her, or assuming she can't do it. And it has nothing to do with her personally at ALL but rather what her casting represents - it's more, to me, just the decision to choose someone with a small, lean body type to play one of the only characters in Hollywood that is specifically, unambiguously meant to be thick and muscular. Going back to Christian Bale, Tom Hardy, and the other superheros - those who were meant to be super muscular either already were or had been, and simply got bigger; they didn't cast someone quite thin and then bulk them up. Like Isabella said, it's like Bridget Jones - taking a character that's been designated a certain image, then casting someone who goes against it and trying to push them into that mold rather than just casting someone who already fits it because those types of women aren't Hollywood's type.

And I think given that media has been factually proven to have significant impacts on our views, values and (in relation to this) body images, that it's not a moral weight thing, but rather looking at something that will have an impact on us and evaluating it. I don't think this casting in particular is going to suddenly make teenage girls develop eating disorders or something, but it contributes to a larger picture in which we're told "this is best, this is what's acceptable and desirable, don't deviate". I dunno, why shouldn't we hold the media to a higher standard than simply 'do what you want'? Media is such a huge thing, too, that involves SO many people that there's no way to divide it from society (as in it's not their job to change society), they ARE society and both a reflection and leader of what that society is, you know?

Omg I'm hugely rambling but I wanted to add, I do feel bad for Gal Gadot specifically that she's now at the centre of this discussion - I think it's nothing personal to do with her, she is gorgeous, has a fantastic body, and (from what I've heard) is a great actress. (I actually think she would've made a great Zatanna, who is my favourite DC character.) So I do think that it sucks, on a personal level, she is now under scrutiny for looking a certain way. I hope she does a fantastic job and gets mad ripped, looks badass as hell, and beats up Ben Affleck and Henry Cavill. And I think it could've been her or anyone else similar and the discussion would be the same. But overall I do think it's important to look at how this represents a bit more than just the casting of one role, what kind of message it sends, etc.

Here is a Wonder Woman gif for your time :mrgreen:
tumblr_lmlw74RhaM1qjn01ro1_r1_500.gif

I sort of tried to mention this before, but I didn't really explain it. I think our society places all together too much importance on our entertainment industries. We should not be getting ideas of what's right and wrong from movies, TV, popular music, or any form of entertainment that only seeks to profit off us.

The way the media portrays women is flat out wrong. This is a fact, and it's stupid and sad. But even if it was flat out right I'd still say we shouldn't look towards it as any sort of barometer for our society's values. It's nothing but dangerous. I don't think the entertainment industry has any responsibility towards society, and they don't think so either.

Instead of forcing the industry to change it's practices I think we should make a greater effort to teach people to just not give a fuck about what the media tells them to be, and that the industry knows nothing of right or wrong in both morality and beauty. Then I think the media would follow suit in their casting. It's a much more difficult path to take, but I think it would be more successful in the long run.

Gen I fully agree with what you're saying. It's not personal to Gal, just what it represents as a whole.

I_Love_You503 said:
I sort of tried to mention this before, but I didn't really explain it. I think our society places all together too much importance on our entertainment industries. We should not be getting ideas of what's right and wrong from movies, TV, popular music, or any form of entertainment that only seeks to profit off us.

The way the media portrays women is flat out wrong. This is a fact, and it's stupid and sad. But even if it was flat out right I'd still say we shouldn't look towards it as any sort of barometer for our society's values. It's nothing but dangerous. I don't think the entertainment industry has any responsibility towards society, and they don't think so either.

Instead of forcing the industry to change it's practices I think we should make a greater effort to teach people to just not give a fuck about what the media tells them to be, and that the industry knows nothing of right or wrong in both morality and beauty. Then I think the media would follow suit in their casting. It's a much more difficult path to take, but I think it would be more successful in the long run.

Unfortunately though I agree that it'd be great if we didn't pay so much attention to the media, the way the media is formed makes it almost impossible to ignore. Just tonight I was feeling super healthy and good, had just eaten a lovely meal, and what comes on the screen? A fast food place showing yummy looking chicken! I felt hungry for the rest of the evening. That's all it took, some advertising for my body to respond in that way. Advertising and television is designed to do this, it's essentially brainwashing us, and if you watch television and films there's almost nothing you can do about this. Some people are more prone to brainwashing than others, some can fight it, but many simply can't. They get told to want something and they want it. The media knows this, this is why companies pay so much for advertising, it works!

Because of this I think that all forms of the media should take responsibility for what they're doing. I agree with Gen that it's part of society itself. Few people in western civilisation don't have a television and I don't think that's going to change anytime soon. Let's face it, the media is in a powerful position to change the world and how we view ourselves. They tell us what we find attractive, if you look back several hundred years you'd see that not only in body shape did we lust after something different, but also facial features. We're essentially trained from birth to want what they tell us to want, so with that I think that they should try and make us want something that's good for us and achievable rather than something we're pretty much set out to fail or die trying.

KaterinaPryde said:
GenXoxo said:
http://variety.com/2014/film/news/jesse-eisenberg-cast-as-lex-luthor-in-supermanbatman-jeremy-irons-set-as-alfred-1201079902/

Jesse Eisenberg...as Lex Luthor. :shock: The casting in this movie is absolutely bananas.

WTF? That is an odd pairing.

He will not look bad with a shaved head. The number of dignified old British actors about is thinning out, so their options are limited. But even so, Irons should be able to swing it. And its not like they can afford Charles Dance or Christopher Lee any more.

tumblr_mzpbrrluSv1qj3iago1_500.jpg

I like Jeremy Irons a lot and think he's usually great in everything; it's really Jesse Eisenberg that gets me. Mostly the age thing; Lex & Clark are supposed to be similar in age with Lex being a couple years older. Jesse Eisenberg looks about 21 while Henry Cavill looks mid-30s. I know it's semantics but I feel like it makes a really strange pair.

Reactions: LilyEvans
GenXoxo said:
I like Jeremy Irons a lot and think he's usually great in everything; it's really Jesse Eisenberg that gets me. Mostly the age thing; Lex & Clark are supposed to be similar in age with Lex being a couple years older. Jesse Eisenberg looks about 21 while Henry Cavill looks mid-30s. I know it's semantics but I feel like it makes a really strange pair.

Age really doesn't matter, its going to come down to acting. I remember reading about Kiera knightly talking about having 45 minutes of shading on her boobs each morning to make it look like she has cleavage

knightley-pirates-400a050807.jpg

If the guy can act they can make him look whatever age they want.

I'm surprised after they really kept the superman costume pretty much the same as the comics besides moderning it up a bit so it doesn't tacky that they've decided to completely change wonder woman's costume. I thought the whole point of her outfit was because the Amazon's idea of being civilised was to dress her up in US colours. I mean she looks hardcore but she doesn't look like wonder woman.

Reactions: Nordling
Isabella_deL said:
I'm surprised after they really kept the superman costume pretty much the same as the comics besides moderning it up a bit so it doesn't tacky that they've decided to completely change wonder woman's costume. I thought the whole point of her outfit was because the Amazon's idea of being civilised was to dress her up in US colours. I mean she looks hardcore but she doesn't look like wonder woman.

She has never really had great costumes, most of them looked like one piece swimsuits. Seems like she should be wearing a toga, since she is always dealing with the Greek gods.

Shaun__ said:
Isabella_deL said:

She has never really had great costumes, most of them looked like one piece swimsuits. Seems like she should be wearing a toga, since she is always dealing with the Greek gods.

My favourite wonder woman outfit is actually in the cartoon film. I made an outfit pretty similar last new years eve though annoyingly I didn't have loads of time with some of it, I'll see if I can find a picture. I actually love the wonder woman outfit, though I don't feel many people have done it very well in real life.

Reactions: Nordling
Isabella_deL said:
My favourite wonder woman outfit is actually in the cartoon film. I made an outfit pretty similar last new years eve though annoyingly I didn't have loads of time with some of it, I'll see if I can find a picture. I actually love the wonder woman outfit, though I don't feel many people have done it very well in real life.

Was it this one?

rXll48M.jpg

Kunra9 said:
This is the same movie that has Affleck playing Batman right? Shocked.

I was a bit confused when I first heard the announcement myself. I'm still a but skeptical but I will say I have a bit more hope after seeing images like this:

Visually I think that has to be the BEST movie Batman I have ever seen. For me personally anyway. Though that may not be saying too much as I do think Zack Snyder is great with style, not so much with substance. I just hope the new writer they've hired does this movie justice (no pun intended).

As for the kind of physique I think would suit Wonder Woman, I think a lot of fitness models are a good example:

Though I'm not sure if Gal Gadot could pull that off even in time for the movie release :think:

I hate Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman, especially now since she has clearly not put on ANY weight or muscle and looks just as skinny as before, maybe even more. Plus her acting is TERRIBLE.

I hope she's a throwaway character, which means she's only in it for a couple of minutes. Anything more than that will severely taint the character.

Shaun__ said:
Isabella_deL said:

Was it this one?

rXll48M.jpg

Nah this one:

Attachments

• 9047-wonder-woman-dvd-director-talks-animated-movie.jpg
    9047-wonder-woman-dvd-director-talks-animated-movie.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: Gen
Status
Not open for further replies.