AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Worried about internet speed - ping

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 25, 2015
Hello,

I was just wondering if you could help me out with a quick question here.

I have been reading about internet speed since it is worrying me a bit. I have 80-100mbps download, 7-8 mbps upload and around 26-120 ping it seems to fluctuate a bit, and i am worried about ping. I will be trying out chaturbate do you think that even on times with 120 ping i would be able to stream no problem?.

I have no idea why this is my guess is because my parents download from time to time.

Thanks.

I believe you are overthinking this. There are a ton of folks that would love to have 80-100 D & 7-8 U. I'm one of those, lol! 26-120 ms on ping is pretty good. The thing is, the ping on your speedtest is measured from your PC to the speedtest server. And that most likely be different than your ping route to Chaturbate. It's doubtful that you could ping the Chaturbate servers because most commercial servers have removed/blocked ping requests due to DoS concerns. Now if somebody is downloading while you are broadcasting, your connection to chaturbate *might* be less than optimal. But since your ISP account's capacity is so high, I doubt it.

tl;dr

With 80-100 D & 7-8 U, you are making a lot of people jealous, and you should be good to go!

The ping as far as I know just affects the chat lag. (Am I wrong about this? I really am not sure but that's what I think it is?!)

The guys won't hear the things you say until a few seconds after you say them is all. There is always SOME amount of chat lag while the data makes it's way through the servers and to the member's screen.

I get that in my Streamate room sometimes, and it's awkward at first, but it's not all that bad.

Your upload speed is what's most important for your cam quality, and yours is great!

Reactions: SaffronBurke
The ping as far as I know just affects the chat lag. (Am I wrong about this? I really am not sure but that's what I think it is?!)

"Ping" is simply the time it takes to get from Point A (you) to Point B (Google/MFC/etc.) While ping is a component of (determining) your speed (throughput), by itself it will not affect your chat ;)

Here is a link to some smart guys who can explain it better than I ever could:

http://www.tcpipguide.com/free/t_PerformanceMeasurementsSpeedBandwidthThroughputand.htm

Reactions: Jillybean
. It's doubtful that you could ping the Chaturbate servers because most commercial servers have removed/blocked ping requests due to DoS concerns.

That's only if they are dumb - ping/ICMP these days is the least used DoS tool, while using it for debugging is extremely helpful. Sadly there's still a bunch of uneducated admins all over the place that think blocking ICMP helps (not really - it actually breaks a ton of useful stuff).

Now if somebody is downloading while you are broadcasting, your connection to chaturbate *might* be less than optimal. But since your ISP account's capacity is so high, I doubt it.

It is possible that it can be affected - home routers are usually designed to be cheap so they don't pack fast enough processors and memory that can deal with the load of too much traffic going on, which is why sometimes you hear people complaining that torrents slow down their network - it opens so many connections that the poor cheap router can't service them fast enough.

I will be trying out chaturbate do you think that even on times with 120 ping i would be able to stream no problem?.

For camming, high(ish) latencies don't matter that much - the time it takes for data to leave your computer, go to the cam site and from there to the members is minimal (usually less than quarter of a second assuming you are in the US and the member is in another continent) compared to the time it will take the members to type an answer to you (which might be seconds if they type slowly or, like me, they write and rewrite what they are saying multiple times).

Now, you mentioned that your latency jumps from 26ms to 120ms - assuming that this is always measured against the same server and you can confirm it happens while someone is doing downloads, then you could in theory improve the situation by replacing your router with a 'gaming' router: those tend to have faster processors to avoid this type of issue.

Reactions: JordanBlack
Thanks a lot girls i thought i was overthinking it too but since i wanted to start this with all the information i could and with everything i could under my contro. It drove my nuts a bit seeing that!!!

Actually i got a new laptop for this and it seems like my ping and uploud speed is actually quite better but its good to know it was already good enough to do this. It really helped me keep calm reading lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.