AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Traveling the country in a van, which mobile wifi should I get?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 26, 2018
Chaturbate Username
jaidesir
Hello beautiful people!

I'm completely new to the forum so hi, I'm Jai :)

I am about to embark on a new chapter of my life in a couple months where I will be traveling in a converted vansion (basically a camper) and I need advice! I have seen a few threads on here related to this but they were already closed so I resorted to starting a new one, hopefully I'm following the etiquette.

My main question is: Do any of you have experience with camming while traveling? I will have privacy, good lighting, and a solar power system, but the main thing I'm worried about is internet, specifically upload speed and data usage. I've done my research and mobile wifi hotspots that you plug into your laptop seem to be the way to go. But these plans usually cap at 20Gb. I've read that camming uses about 1 gig for approximately 3 hours of streaming HD, so I'm worried if that will be enough data since I also use my laptop for other things. I am planning on doing public shows on CB twice a week, and private shows once a week for various clients.

If you do have experience with camming on the road using a mobile hotspot, what carrier and plan did you choose, how much data was enough for you, and was your upload speed enough for a smooth live stream?

Thanks for any help, it is greatly appreciated

:h: Jai

Im planning to do something similar very soon. I plan to use Verizon as my provider but will also be purchasing a wifi extender and a weboost 4gRV. While traveling I plan to do a lot more clip/phone work vs streaming. I know @JoleneBrody is currently traveling and streaming, as she is who recommended the weboost to me so maybe she can pop in with a little more insight.

Reactions: Marley Magdalene
Howdy!
I live in an RV full time and cam. I have the verizon unlimited plan with a phone and a tablet, which you can then add a mifi jetpack to for only $20 each. (the device itself is about $50) they each have a limit of 15 Gigs per month of high speed so I actually have 3 jetpacks. So I essentially pay $60 a month for internet to cam from. To save data i use my iphone and my tablet for pretty much all other internet needs, like uploading videos and watching netflix/hulu. I have a weboost 4G RV and it has made it possible for me to cam from many places that would not have been fast enough connection otherwise. I'm traveling constantly and the only time I've struggled has been while roaming in canada.

Howdy!
I live in an RV full time and cam. I have the verizon unlimited plan with a phone and a tablet, which you can then add a mifi jetpack to for only $20 each. (the device itself is about $50) they each have a limit of 15 Gigs per month of high speed so I actually have 3 jetpacks. So I essentially pay $60 a month for internet to cam from. To save data i use my iphone and my tablet for pretty much all other internet needs, like uploading videos and watching netflix/hulu. I have a weboost 4G RV and it has made it possible for me to cam from many places that would not have been fast enough connection otherwise. I'm traveling constantly and the only time I've struggled has been while roaming in canada.
You're living my dream life! (and soon to be reality)
Thanks for the prompt reply. What made you decide on verizon? I have sprint right now but would be willing to switch. And the weboost I saw on Amazon is 500$ :eek: is that how much you paid? If I'm staying in places with 3g or LTE coverage, will the weboost still be necessary?

Im planning to do something similar very soon. I plan to use Verizon as my provider but will also be purchasing a wifi extender and a weboost 4gRV. While traveling I plan to do a lot more clip/phone work vs streaming. I know @JoleneBrody is currently traveling and streaming, as she is who recommended the weboost to me so maybe she can pop in with a little more insight.
Thanks for the insight and the recommendation :) you say a weboost and a wifi extender, are they different things?

Howdy!
The way you live sounds very romantic going from place to place surfing the internet. If I ever went on the road that is the way I would want to live, but I am a huge nerd. :)

You're living my dream life! (and soon to be reality)
Thanks for the prompt reply. What made you decide on verizon? I have sprint right now but would be willing to switch. And the weboost I saw on Amazon is 500$ :eek: is that how much you paid? If I'm staying in places with 3g or LTE coverage, will the weboost still be necessary?
Oh man yeah if you have sprint you NEED to switch. I had sprint for like 15 years and switching to Verizon was like taking the first sip of hot coffee on a cold morning. seriously though, sprint coverage is so bad but verizon is tops! I did pay $500 for my weboost but it's some of the best money I've ever spent. I can't even count how many times i was able to cam only because of the weboost but i mostly boondock. 3g will rarely ever be good enough for you to cam from but often times, with a weboost you'll be able to get LTE even though you're only in a 3g or worse area. if you plan to explore the wilderness more than the city, absolutely get one! if your just planning on urban driveway/parkinglot stuff then it may not be nessiccary.
Switching from sprint to verizon though is totally going to be needed! I had both for a while and did a lot of side by side comparisons while traveling, because i knew sprint coverage sucked but boy howdy i didn't realize how much!

Last edited:
Thanks for the insight and the recommendation :) you say a weboost and a wifi extender, are they different things?
A Weboost amplifies cellular signal to give you better connection in remote areas, a wifi ranger amplifies wifi signals near you (rv park wifi/mcdonalds/starbucks).
I personally have yet to find, even on a super strong connection, a wifi I could reliably cam from but may some day get a wifi ranger just so I can possibly get a better connection for other internet work without using my jet pack data on my laptop

tenor.gif

all jokes aside hope you have a great adventure!

Thanks so much, my partner and I fantasize about van living ourselves as a way to figure out where we want to settle down, and get a bunch of wanderlust out of our systems. Thanks for the great info!!

• Hugs
Reactions: Jai Desir
Oh man yeah if you have sprint you NEED to switch. I had sprint for like 15 years and switching to Verizon was like taking the first sip of hot coffee on a cold morning. seriously though, sprint coverage is so bad but verizon is tops! I did pay $500 for my weboost but it's some of the best money I've ever spent. I can't even count how many times i was able to cam only because of the weboost but i mostly boondock. 3g will rarely ever be good enough for you to cam from but often times, with a weboost you'll be able to get LTE even though you're only in a 3g or worse area. if you plan to explore the wilderness more than the city, absolutely get one! if your just planning on urban driveway/parkinglot stuff then it may not be nessiccary.
Switching from sprint to verizon though is totally going to be needed! I had both for a while and did a lot of side by side comparisons while traveling, because i knew sprint coverage sucked but boy howdy i didn't realize how much!

You have been a life saver Jolene!!! Last question I promise ^__^ I can't switch my phone carrier to verizon until it's paid off, which is gonna be awhile.. can I do the verizon jetpack / weboost combo for my laptop only as a separate thing from my phone carrier, or does it have to be tied to a phone / tablet?

You have been a life saver Jolene!!! Last question I promise ^__^ I can't switch my phone carrier to verizon until it's paid off, which is gonna be awhile.. can I do the verizon jetpack / weboost combo for my laptop only as a separate thing from my phone carrier, or does it have to be tied to a phone / tablet?
Yes you can! I started the same way, with only a tablet and jetpack through Verizon until my sprint contract ended. That was before all the new unlimited plans though so I have no idea the pricing/plans as a stand-alone without phones. I know it’s possible though

• Helpful!
Reactions: Jai Desir
Status
Not open for further replies.