AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Anyone read any Fantasy novels?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 25, 2018
Nowhere.
Twitter Username
@Stoodupontheair
What are some of your favorite fantasy novels?

Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch is pretty amazing. It's real world but then a cop sees a ghost and gets put into the dealing-with-fantasy-creatures part of the police.

Also recently read The Magicians by Lev Grossman. I love that two of the main themes are depression and magical other worlds won't fix your depression.

I prefer science fiction, but I read fantasy as well. In the fantasy genre, I like stories where the author builds a unique world with a unique culture or unique magic or something like that. The typical good vs. evil stuff or the standard fantasy with dragons, elves, dwarves doesn't really deliver what i'm looking for in a fantasy novel.

My favourites so far were:

"The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant" series by Stephen R. Donaldson (It's a total of 10 novels - two trilogies followed by a more recent 4 book series that ends the story. This is the author whose work got me into fantasy. I especially enjoyed the "Last Chronicles", which is the final 4 books of the series. For a shorter and less dark story by the same author, check out "Mordant's Need" which has a very interesting magic system that uses mirrors. Very original!)

"The Book of the New Sun" by Gene Wolfe (This is a series of 4 novels, but usually published in 2 volumes: "Shadow & Claw" and "Sword & Citadel". Maybe too series for those who enjoy "light" fantasy, but Gene Wolfe is another author who blew me away with his creativity.)

"The Coldfire Trilogy" by C.S. Friedman (A very interesting take on vampires and it takes place on a planet where faith does work - what people expect / hope for does influence what will happen.)

*writes down books*

Does anyone like young adult fantasy novels? Because I'm 30 going on 10 and that's all I've been reading lately so I can name some good ones.
Roger Zelazny, 9 Princes of Ember and its sequels. The mother of all GOT rip offs by the way, even according to that RR Martin guy. David Eddings is also an important unsung hero of fantasy if you ask me. It should be good for starters.

Reactions: Useful-Title
The “Great Book of Amber” contains all the stories in one volume. I loved the fact that the story starts with the protagonist having no memory and he has to figure out who are his enemies and who are his allies without letting them know that he doesn’t remember any of them. I enjoyed it the first time I read it, but for some reason the second time I didn’t like it as much.

Would I call the Waldo Rabbit Series a favorite? That'll depend how it wraps up. Damned amusing? Sure!

Going straight into spoilers to give you the flavor. An inept black mage is off on a quest to prove his worth, during which he binds some monsters to him as familiars. But he didn't get the first binding spell right so the succubus is now his wife, and the second - well, a whip keeps the ogre friendly.

First book is pretty tedious all in all, writing pace gets better over time. First three in the series free on Kindle Unlimited just now so no harm

Thank you for this, looks right up my ally

You're welcome, great author and I like nearly all of his books.

Have any of you ever read of any of the Warhammer novels? Like Gotrek and Felix?

Yep, if it's based after the game.

I would also recommend Fritz Leiber. He is the creator of "Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser" which are the main characters for "Theive's World" series of books. Excellent stories as well.

I have quite a lot more scifi on my shelves, but from the fantasy ...

"Magician" by Ray Feist, which is pure high fantasy
"Neverwhere" by Neil Gaiman, which is another novel with the premise of magic hidden in contemporary London. Plus (of course) his whole Sandman series of comics.
"The silent tower" and "The silicon mage" by Barbara Hambly, which has a fantasy world with magic that has almost reached the industrial revolution rather than being permanently stuck in medieval times.

For something aimed at younger readers that isn't Harry Potter, "Dragon's Green" by Scarlett Thomas is rather good IMO. Also Philip Pullman's Northern lights trilogy.

Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch is pretty amazing. It's real world but then a cop sees a ghost and gets put into the dealing-with-fantasy-creatures part of the police.
Love those and the way he calls his car the "Ford ASBO", makes me laugh every time.

Reactions: MollyMidnight
Status
Not open for further replies.