AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

a list of shorted word in english for foreighners...

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 28, 2010
ok so my english is pretty well.. and the omg, ty, yw, wb, wtf.. i get also.. but there are soo many shortings on the language i dont get..
just wanted to make a list with you all with the most common ones..

just to help me out when i see another post with for example: FML ?? :?

TashaTypical said:
ok so my english is pretty well.. and the omg, ty, yw, wb, wtf.. i get also.. but there are soo many shortings on the language i dont get..
just wanted to make a list with you all with the most common ones..

just to help me out when i see another post with for example: FML ?? :?
FML = Fuck My Life
FTW = For The Win

lool this should get intresting.. different people using different shortning for different things..

AluraCurvyBBW said:
I thought ftw was fuck the world..
Hehehe I've never seen it used like that, but it makes me giggle to think what confusion it could have caused! Quite the opposite meaning. :D

FFS is one I actually learned from an MFC regular of mine last year. For Fuck's Sake! I love it now and use it constantly. (Thank you Snoochieboochie!)

IMO is In My Opinion. Also lengthened to IMHO In My Honest Opinion.

FWIW is For What It's Worth.

Here's a confusing one. QFT is used as either Quoted For Truth -or- Quit Fucking Talking. Those are definitely opposites too.

AFK is Away From Keyboard. I use this one constantly and more than half probably don't know it. Mostly a gamer thing to alert your group when you're away so they don't try carrying on without you, I believe. Same with BRB - Be Right Back, or BBL - Be Back Later, or BBIAB - Be Back In A Bit. :D

Bocefish said:
LOL I have to look some things up too! :mrgreen:

Interwebs acronyms: http://www.gaarde.org/acronyms/

Slang stuff: http://www.urbandictionary.com/

aaaah the first one is awsome!n going to put that one in my faves.. thank you!
didnt really get how the second one worked.. :S but thanks anyway!

AmberCutie said:
Hehehe I've never seen it used like that, but it makes me giggle to think what confusion it could have caused! Quite the opposite meaning. :D

FFS is one I actually learned from an MFC regular of mine last year. For Fuck's Sake! I love it now and use it constantly. (Thank you Snoochieboochie!)

IMO is In My Opinion. Also lengthened to IMHO In My Honest Opinion.

FWIW is For What It's Worth.

Here's a confusing one. QFT is used as either Quoted For Truth -or- Quit Fucking Talking. Those are definitely opposites too.

AFK is Away From Keyboard. I use this one constantly and more than half probably don't know it. Mostly a gamer thing to alert your group when you're away so they don't try carrying on without you, I believe. Same with BRB - Be Right Back, or BBL - Be Back Later, or BBIAB - Be Back In A Bit. :D

i did know ffs.. it think its used more by brits then american.. but chatted at another site that used to have alot of brits..
but the rest is all new to me.. thanks for explaining some to me..
i also didnt know bbiab in the be back section.. i always say brb or bbs (be back soon)

this topic is going to be very handy for me.. thanks for all the reply's!

AluraCurvyBBW said:
I thought ftw was fuck the world..

I always knew FTW as Fuck The World, so when I started to be on the internet more I was always confused of why people were saying "FTW" after giving an answer, like are we that angry at the world?

Thats my sign that I am getting old, that when one thing suddenly means another to those younger to me. And I refuse to recognize it as anything else other than Fuck The World.

Tiger Army even wrote a song FTW which when they were asked what it meant was Fuck The World.

The "Urban Dictionary" is also available for android phones and explains all the ghetto-tasticness of our generations. Look up ass hat, or fucktard, or (Thanks Lacey) Douche Canoe

IMHO I sometimes hear the H as being humble instead of honest.

AFAIK is one that the first time I saw it was like "Damn... someone was in such a hurry to go AFK they hit extra letters. Turns out it's As Far As I Know.

Then you have people like me who use inorite and amirite which are I know, right? and Am I right? all smushed together.

Best internet acronym ever? omgwtfbbqchicken

Sometimes "for the win" is 4tw.
ffa is "free for all"
wtf is "what the fuck"
rtfm is "read the fucking manual"
pvp is player vs player
pve is player vs environment ("non-player characters")
gtg is "good to go" or "we're ready"
ttfn is "ta-ta for now" or "goodbye, see you soon" - from Batman's Catwoman I believe
ttyl is "talk to you later"
pwn is "own to a much higher level than just regular ownage" or "dominating"

Also when I hear someone say "to be honest" or "to tell the truth" I wonder if they haven't been being honest with me all along.

tightlockup said:
Sometimes "for the win" is 4tw.
ffa is "free for all"
wtf is "what the fuck"
rtfm is "read the fucking manual"
pvp is player vs player
pve is player vs environment ("non-player characters")
ttfn is "ta-ta for now" or "goodbye, see you soon" - from Batman's Catwoman I believe
ttyl is "talk to you later"
pwn is "own to a much higher level than just regular ownage" or "dominating"

Also when I hear someone say "to be honest" or "to tell the truth" I wonder if they haven't been being honest with me all along.

TTFN was actually used in one of the early Winnie the Pooh shows and used by Tigger as he was saying good bye to Christopher Robin and Pooh :oops: :oops: and no I don't know which one exactly but I do remember seeing it when I was very young.

tightlockup said:
The problem here is gtg also means Got to Go... is really confusing when people use this in a dungeon. I like to use g2g for good to go and gtg for got to go. But there's no rules for it and I hate it. :)

AmberCutie said:
tightlockup said:
The problem here is gtg also means Got to Go... is really confusing when people use this in a dungeon. I like to use g2g for good to go and gtg for got to go. But there's no rules for it and I hate it. :)

I heard the Got To Go variant before the Good To Go one, and yeah, it's hard to know what people mean sometime.

Bocefish said:
Tasha, the Urban Dictionary is not only for looking up acronyms, but also for terms you may not have heard of, or understand. For example, I never heard of the "dog in a tub" sexual reference, so I typed in dog in a tub in the search box just like a Google search: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dog+in+a+tub

haha i never knew that one either! niiice.. sounds kinda uncomfortable tho..
this topic is gonna bring me so much good.. thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.