AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Amateur vs. professional photo sets

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 8, 2022
Context - thinking about getting into modelling, starting off selling photos and videos. I'm very private, and would prefer to involve as few people in it as possible, and would rather teach myself as much as I can. Which leads to my question:

Folks who have sold photo sets that are both self-made and in collaboration with a photographer, do you find that there is a significant difference in sales/interest in sets you do yourself vs. hiring an actual photographer? Apart from the privacy concerns, I'm not sure if it's better to make a good first impression and get some really good looking professional looking stuff out the gate, or just focus on getting some content together and seeing if there's any interest in what I'm offering or if I even like doing it first.

Thank you!

Context - thinking about getting into modelling, starting off selling photos and videos. I'm very private, and would prefer to involve as few people in it as possible, and would rather teach myself as much as I can. Which leads to my question:

Folks who have sold photo sets that are both self-made and in collaboration with a photographer, do you find that there is a significant difference in sales/interest in sets you do yourself vs. hiring an actual photographer? Apart from the privacy concerns, I'm not sure if it's better to make a good first impression and get some really good looking professional looking stuff out the gate, or just focus on getting some content together and seeing if there's any interest in what I'm offering or if I even like doing it first.

Thank you!
I would go with the 2nd option. But I've also never tried getting professionally done, so I have no experience w it.

Do you mean for erotic amateur cam model stuff, or like regular modeling? I've done a tiny tiny bit of regular modeling, but others in my family have done it more extensively, and for that, it's best to have a professional portfolio.

I would go with the 2nd option. But I've also never tried getting professionally done, so I have no experience w it.

Do you mean for erotic amateur cam model stuff, or like regular modeling? I've done a tiny tiny bit of regular modeling, but others in my family have done it more extensively, and for that, it's best to have a professional portfolio.
Sorry, I should have made that clear. It's for erotic amateur cam model stuff. Thank you!

Sorry, I should have made that clear. It's for erotic amateur cam model stuff. Thank you!
I would also ask in the male model thread because often the info for female models and male models is really different. For some reason, I think you are male, or somehow came to that conclusion. Sorry if I'm off and confusing you w someone else. I do a lot of chatting and frequently confuse different people/ switch stuff around in my mind.

Reactions: inertvolcano
You are correct, I am male. I will post in the male model thread. 👍
Ok, I hesitate to give male models advice, because its a whole different world. The other male models will know best.

(ignore if you will, as I'm not a model)
Personally, I love the nature of amateur content. Really slick and heavily-photoshopped mainstream content is everywhere, and the home-produced feel just appeals way more to me.
Maybe it helps with the feeling the model is a person rather than an object on display? IDK
caveat - it still needs some care in composing the shots, poses, lighting etc.

(ignore if you will, as I'm not a model)
Personally, I love the nature of amateur content. Really slick and heavily-photoshopped mainstream content is everywhere, and the home-produced feel just appeals way more to me.
As a user, I'd back this up also. But I'd add that while heavily photoshopped is a turnoff, I also hate low resolution / grainy shots. I "grew up" with cga 16 colour monitors, I love the clarity of 1920x1080 (for example) HD, especially for erotica.
caveat - it still needs some care in composing the shots, poses, lighting etc.
Yes, just because you are amateur doesn't mean that sloppy attention to detail is acceptable.

(And for god's sake if you are posing in the mirror in the bathroom, clean that fucker first!! :rofl: )

or just focus on getting some content together and seeing if there's any interest in what I'm offering or if I even like doing it first.
I think this is the way to go. I can't see the cost of a professional photographer being worth the investment starting out. It's also not always easy to compare results between different models because they could have vastly different audiences. Once you have a larger audience though it would be easier to see if professional photos have any sort of impact on your earnings.

I think this is the way to go. I can't see the cost of a professional photographer being worth the investment starting out. It's also not always easy to compare results between different models because they could have vastly different audiences. Once you have a larger audience though it would be easier to see if professional photos have any sort of impact on your earnings.

This. Bigvolcano, if you had a photographer willing to do a TFP (which stands for "time for print"/"trade for print") or TFCD ("time for CD"/"trade for CD") photo shoot, then okay, cool. Which means that both parties are offering their time for free...while both are getting more experience and more photos for their portfolios. There are sites like Model Mayhem and One Model Place (I can't remember if OMP is still free though?) where you could try to find a photographer willing to do this.

I really don't think it's necessary to be shelling out money for a photographer for this purpose...when you could just use a smartphone with a great camera, and use the natural (daytime) lighting in your room to take those pics yourself.

Amateur shots are a nice way to start, as people said already putting the effort in composition and decent lighting is key! And My 2 cents is that you get on and make LOTS of content, regularly! So amateur might be more accessible for keeping up with that. If later on you have access to a professional photoshoot then why not, those are great to use on social media and promoting and gives that sense of "status" as a model.

It also depends where are you gonna sell your content, if it's subscription sites then in my experience people like to get regular post and lots of content (even if they claim they are more "quality over quantity" they aren't staying for long with 1 photoset per month) in this case you can mix it up posting daily or weekly your amateur content and maybe try to do 1 professional photoshoot per month if that sounds like something you can commit to (and this is not even necessary to include this in your content, you might do fine without ever doing one).

If you plan on selling on a site where items are available individually then posting regularly might not be super essential but having a lot in there is always beneficial!

My content sells better in amateur form. I have had some really nice professional shootings, but my members seem to enjoy more my "personal touch". It's good at first to try them both to see what is bought in more volume, and after that, you can focus on what works best for you.

I take a lot away from professional shoots, they have helped me develop my style - both photographic as well as lingerie, clothing, dress sense, and when a make-up artist is compulsory I usually take away at least 2 tips for my own make-up.

RL and online customers seem to like the results, as well as my own selfies I have plenty but primarily mine are not for sale. I do have a private gallery on AW which does have an access price, but mine are for promotional purposes so far.

• Helpful!
with how great cell phone cameras are, you cant even tell an amateur from a professional that much nowadays. hell sometimes a person in the bedroom has higher quality than a studio.
I wouldn't go that far. Also of the photos someone is producing can be mistaken for a phone photo, are they even a professional 🤔

• Funny!
My experience with professional photoshoots is that I hate staying there still and faking a smile (I wasn't the one who hired the photographer, it was just part of another job) because they wanted me to smile in every single photo and although the pics look beautiful my smile is clearly fake and the poses are very "calculated", if you will.

When I take pics myself I think I look so much better because I'm in my natural behaviour and it shows.

A few years back I'd recommend a professional photo set for sure. But these days, like some others have suggested previously here, I'd say amateur photos can be as good as "professional ones" with the phones we have these days.
Here are some quick advantages I see with amateur photos: you can make a lot more, in various circumstances, so this way you can 'stay in touch' better with your members, like making photos in various locations, doing different activities. Like another member pointed out, with professional shoots, you need to fake your enthusiasm, but with amateur photos, you can snap a pic when you really feel are in the mood for it and I think that makes it way more 'attractive', as people can see the 'real' you.
You can also search on youtube for tips on how to get your photos look more professional, like how to get the lighting right, how to watch for things in the background that shouldn't be there and so on. Hope this helps!

A few years back I'd recommend a professional photo set for sure. But these days, like some others have suggested previously here, I'd say amateur photos can be as good as "professional ones" with the phones we have these days.
Here are some quick advantages I see with amateur photos: you can make a lot more, in various circumstances, so this way you can 'stay in touch' better with your members, like making photos in various locations, doing different activities. Like another member pointed out, with professional shoots, you need to fake your enthusiasm, but with amateur photos, you can snap a pic when you really feel are in the mood for it and I think that makes it way more 'attractive', as people can see the 'real' you.
You can also search on youtube for tips on how to get your photos look more professional, like how to get the lighting right, how to watch for things in the background that shouldn't be there and so on. Hope this helps!
Actually it's the different location, more space and backdrop which is one of my reasons for choosing a professional shoot. Taking photos when out doesn't suit my location (which is by the way beautiful), for many reasons including discretion and privacy. Inside my property rooms are small and there are rooms I cannot use for adult use photos.

I use a professional for the setting, room etc. Very occasionally if away in a hotel room I find time to take some selfies but if it's a personal trip often I don't have time or the inclination. It's not fair if I'm spending time with someone in personal life to either make us late or spend the time taking photos for work.

Actually it's the different location, more space and backdrop which is one of my reasons for choosing a professional shoot. Taking photos when out doesn't suit my location (which is by the way beautiful), for many reasons including discretion and privacy. Inside my property rooms are small and there are rooms I cannot use for adult use photos.

I use a professional for the setting, room etc. Very occasionally if away in a hotel room I find time to take some selfies but if it's a personal trip often I don't have time or the inclination. It's not fair if I'm spending time with someone in personal life to either make us late or spend the time taking photos for work.

You make some excellent points and I also have to give you credit for respecting the time of the people you spend time in your personal time.

Each option has it's own uses, advantages and disadvantages. For example, on livejasmin the stories you post are only available for 24hrs, so for these, amateur pictures would work best because it would not be cost effective to get professional ones each time; but for profile pictures and some type of galleries, of course, professional pictures are the way to go.

In that aspect I have the same problem. I only have one room in the house where I can take pics, which is the room where I can from, and my pictures and videos tend to get a little repetitive but I like to think that what I'm doing on them matters more.

I really appreciate the advice everyone. After reading some other discussions in this forum I've become self-conscious about being a "hobby wanker" so I've decided to put a pin in my plans for now, so I apologize if I wasted anyone's time. But things change, and this will be very useful if my situation changes further down the road. I appreciate all the thoughtful and considerate guidance.

Status
Not open for further replies.