AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

canadian steriotypes

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
caireen said:
so you are canadian, or want to write a story where the canadian superheroines talk about stereotypical canadians, or just want to write a story using canadian stereotypes to create your characters? i'm confused ..

A group of friends and I were fooling around making up our own misfit superheroes; characters with unusual superpowers. I came up with A female character whose "gift" is that she "suffers" from hyper-orgasmic disorder and I thought the name O'Canada would be a perfect name for her. Things snowballed from there and we even came up with a name for this squad (Canadians United to Nullify Terrorism, CUNT for short) There will also be an Inuit that wears a too-tight maple leaf bikini with a fitting name. A pair of seperated conjoined twins. The gay super hero is a super macho martial arts expert kinda like chuck norris, that nobody would guess is a closet homosexual!
So far their nemesis is an organization called the Right Wing; a super conservative group founded by a legendary hocky player that played the right wing position.
From that alone you can guess that this comic is ment to be ridiculous. What better way to achieve this then to take common stereotypes and turn them up a notch?

You have all given great input and I appreciate it!

Freq said:
caireen said:
so you are canadian, or want to write a story where the canadian superheroines talk about stereotypical canadians, or just want to write a story using canadian stereotypes to create your characters? i'm confused ..

A group of friends and I were fooling around making up our own misfit superheroes; characters with unusual superpowers. I came up with A female character whose "gift" is that she "suffers" from hyper-orgasmic disorder and I thought the name O'Canada would be a perfect name for her. Things snowballed from there and we even came up with a name for this squad (Canadians United to Nullify Terrorism, CUNT for short) There will also be an Inuit that wears a too-tight maple leaf bikini with a fitting name. A pair of seperated conjoined twins. The gay super hero is a super macho martial arts expert kinda like chuck norris, that nobody would guess is a closet homosexual!
So far their nemesis is an organization called the Right Wing; a super conservative group founded by a legendary hocky player that played the right wing position.
From that alone you can guess that this comic is ment to be ridiculous. What better way to achieve this then to take common stereotypes and turn them up a notch?

You have all given great input and I appreciate it!
That kinda sounds like Alpha Flight lol

Obviously there are different dialects for different areas in Canada. Do Canadians that pronounce "about" as "aboot" also do that for the "ou" in other words? Or is it restricted to "about"? Like they might pronounce "devout" as "devoot"? or "house" as "hoose"? It's an honest question sparked by this thread. :) (No offense intended.)

Reactions: CassieRamone
Jessi said:
I say "about"
Apparently other people say "AboWt"
I see what you did there.

AmberCutie said:
Jessi said:
I say "about"
Apparently other people say "AboWt"
I see what you did there.

My friend over-emphasizes the "W" sound, because he "doesnt want to sound Canadian. I honestly hear a completely different sound between "about" and "aboot".

Jessi said:
My friend over-emphasizes the "W" sound, because he "doesnt want to sound Canadian. I honestly hear a completely different sound between "about" and "aboot".

Having been adopted into a Cannadian family, I also don't hear it as "aboot". I always said it's somewhere between "a boot" and "a boat".

And yes, they do it for others in which the ou is pronounced the same way, but not in longer words or words that sound like course (coarse)

LadyLuna said:
I always said it's somewhere between "a boot" and "a boat".
:text-yeahthat: right there is your problem!

About sounds nothing like a boot, or a boat, or anything in between. In this instance 'OU' is pronounced 'OW'. Instead you're almost pronouncing it as if it's a French word (like poutine), as many words in the English language are.

In this case it's of Old English origin, which is a mishmash of old Germanic dialects - and latin transcription of Germanic languages has always been a bit different to others because they (we) use the letter U differently than it is in latin, and have other sounds involving it hence the invention of the letter W (not found in latin languages).

I understand why Canadians pronounce it like they do, and we're all guilty of some language errors from time to time, and it doesn't really bother me either way but I thought I'd just put it out there since as we all know, English doesn't follow one single set of rules regarding how to pronounce or spell each particular word.

Jupiter551 said:
LadyLuna said:
I always said it's somewhere between "a boot" and "a boat".
:text-yeahthat: right there is your problem!

About sounds nothing like a boot, or a boat, or anything in between. In this instance 'OU' is pronounced 'OW'. Instead you're almost pronouncing it as if it's a French word (like poutine), as many words in the English language are.

In this case it's of Old English origin, which is a mishmash of old Germanic dialects - and latin transcription of Germanic languages has always been a bit different to others because they (we) use the letter U differently than it is in latin, and have other sounds involving it hence the invention of the letter W (not found in latin languages).

I understand why Canadians pronounce it like they do, and we're all guilty of some language errors from time to time, and it doesn't really bother me either way but I thought I'd just put it out there since as we all know, English doesn't follow one single set of rules regarding how to pronounce or spell each particular word.

lol, thanks for the language lesson. I don't pronounce it that way, I was just saying that's the way I hear Canadians pronounce it.

I'm American, with an American accent. For those in America, my accent is mostly New England with a touch of Boston, Canada, and Southern just to make things fun :p

Another one is that Canucks call all sodas pop. I'm curious... if root beer is on the menu and what they want, but order a pop, does the waitress know by some Canadian pop-fu intuition what specifically to bring? :p

I nearly spit my coffee out over the 'kraft' dinner thing. Oh Jessi :h: LMAO. I was wondering why you called it 'kraft' and I called it Mac'n'Cheese. I see now.

My stereotypes come from Trailer Park Boys. I've literally never had an encounter of the Canadian kind, and this is coming from a Military Brat. Either they were very quiet about it because they could see in my eyes that I would be one of 'those Americans' that has to ask about every dumb stereotype under the sun before they convince me they're just as human as I am (maybe more-so), or it just never came up.

Either way, totes gonna visit and explore some day. And about is the cutest thing I hear aside from car (aka Krr).

Rosemary said:
I nearly spit my coffee out over the 'kraft' dinner thing. Oh Jessi :h: LMAO. I was wondering why you called it 'kraft' and I called it Mac'n'Cheese. I see now.

My stereotypes come from Trailer Park Boys. I've literally never had an encounter of the Canadian kind, and this is coming from a Military Brat. Either they were very quiet about it because they could see in my eyes that I would be one of 'those Americans' that has to ask about every dumb stereotype under the sun before they convince me they're just as human as I am (maybe more-so), or it just never came up.

Either way, totes gonna visit and explore some day. And about is the cutest thing I hear aside from car (aka Krr).

Come visit bb ;) I'll show you around my igloo

Jessi said:
Rosemary said:

Come visit bb ;) I'll show you around my igloo

As long as you don't pass out from your gravol.

Just FYI, a little info about igloos...

This word is actually spelled iglu (from Inuktitut: iglu), or igloo (in anglicized form), with the latter spelling historically correct, while the former is correct when specifically referring to the Inuit, or similar shelters built by other northern cultures.

In most of the native languages, there are no O's or E's.

Iglu = one dwelling place.

Iglut = two dwelling places.

Igluk = three or more dwellings.

I don't know if this applies, but I get tons of guys in my chatroom assuming that I hate Canada and that I'm eager to move to the states. I always get "so do you plan on moving to the US?" or "bet you wish you could live south of the border" and I'm like...uhhh...wut? :think: Its weird. Canada fucking rocks. Life here is swell. Why would I want to move? lol

SpexyAshleigh said:
I don't know if this applies, but I get tons of guys in my chatroom assuming that I hate Canada and that I'm eager to move to the states. I always get "so do you plan on moving to the US?" or "bet you wish you could live south of the border" and I'm like...uhhh...wut? :think: Its weird. Canada fucking rocks. Life here is swell. Why would I want to move? lol
Yeah you see this soooo much in Euro girls rooms too lol, some of those girls get upwards of 100 offers per week of places to live in the US lol.

SpexyAshleigh said:

I am an American and I often run into to problems when I try to discuss ways we could improve our country by doing something another country does better than us. The response I get is, "America is the best at everything so fuck you.". I do not know what causes this kind of attitude, but I have always disliked it. I think self improvement, even if you are discussing countries and not people, should always be a goal. No one is perfect.

Majority who say USA is #1 at everything love it or leave it and fuck you, have never even left the country.

I'm from Texas...all I know about Canada is that it's cold, and you guys have Mounties. Also, maple syrup, milk in bags, hockey, ice fishing, and no famous cannibals (that I know of), and statistically you guys are happier than the US and have universal healthcare...and then the stuff Gunarolla taught me in song.

Status
Not open for further replies.