AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!
  • ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The tank is a 15 gallon tank that I turned into a Fresh water tank. Loaded with 20 Zebra Danios 24 Neon Tetras 5 Cardinal Tetras, 3 Sterba's corydoras (Catfish) to clean the bottom of excess food, along with a few live plants in a sand base and under gravel filter. and hang on filter rated for a 30 gallon tank. I set this tank up 2 weeks ago and purposely over inhabited the tank. I have had no casualties but I did a 5 gal water change after 5 days and will do another one after the first one (on Friday). I had an ammonia level of less than 1 part per million prior to the first water change.

This sounds beautiful! I'd love to see pictures.

I met a small business owner (Fish Store) local and have been dealing with him since January when I started up my salt water tank. I Bring a water sample in and have him test it so that the water has NO ammonia and to check the Nitrates and Nitrites. There are other tests I run on my saltwater tank but those three are common to both fresh and saltwater.
al and have been dealing with him since January when I started up my salt water tank. I Bring a water sample in and have him test it so that the water has NO ammonia and to check the Nitrates and Nitrites. There are other tests I run on my saltwater tank but those three are common to both fresh and saltwater.[/QUOTE]

You guys are using lots of big words that I'm unfamiliar with, but it's totally inspiring me and making me thirst for more knowledge about the care of aquatic animals. I understand
First off, hopefully you know the basics - 25-50% water change once a month, always use de-chlorinated water and try not to over-feed (as much as they eat in 1min, once or twice a day) - and a filter isn't much more complicated. You probably have the type with the drop-in white filter, in which case you just take a peek in there every week or so and when it starts to look clogged and grubby you pull it out and rinse it off with de-chlorinated water; when it looks ratty you switch it for a new one.
but that's about it. I can say I love my little fish, and I like to think that with the exception of my first tank, I've given them all good lives. I know there is always room for improvement and growth though. Not only do I want to provide the best care possible, but I want to learn how to expand to bigger and better tanks when my life finally allows me to. Right now I know nothing about the care of saltwater fish but that is something I'd love to learn.

Good luck with your tank. I will keep an eye out for your progress.

Thanks and same to you.

*Okay just a forewarning, this was my first attempt to quote tweets based on the information y'all so kindly provided... So hopefully I was successful!*

Reactions: WildFingers
Damn you all. Now I want an aquarium and I really don't want an aquarium. Good thing I can let my logical side win sometimes.

Hopefully we can get some people posting pictures of their set ups and you can live vicariously through us! Learning to upload and share photos to my liking is my next task to learn after quoting posts, so I promise to report back soon!

Reactions: EmelieSky
I'd like to apologize for the delay I was working when I read your post and hadn't yet figured out how to properly quote you and respond the way I would like.

First one was before I added fish I let the aquarium run for a week. But I added bacteria supplement to get the beneficial bacteria count up fast. But in your case, since you already have yours up and running, you can still add some now.

Second was make sure you do regular water replacement. I use to replace about a third of the water volume in my tank out every month. But in your case I'd probably say maybe 10% a week might be better, so about a quart. But then also add a bit of the bacteria after each time as well. The bottle you buy should have a 'starter' amount and a lesser 'maintenance' amount to add after each water replacement. If you don't have one of those siphon gravel cleaners, I recommend them. They help get rid of the excess solids laying in the rocks which cut down on the amount the bacteria have to decompose.

I've never added bacteria to any of my tanks, can you explain the process and why this is necessary? Also, I know for larger tanks you have to only replace some of the water, but I didn't realize that applied to a tank of my size so I have always cleaned it fully once a month. Taking the fish out of the tank (keeping them in a bowl of water from the tank) and fully rinsing all the waste from the rocks, dechlorinating, and then letting it sit for a minute before adding the fish back. Should I be doing this differently, and if so, help!

Third, the filters. You mentioned it has a filter. Is that the kind with the replaceable pads filled with activated carbon? Does your aquarium also have a plastic bottom that went in first and all the rocks sit on top of it? With those the water (and poop) gets sucked through the rocks down under that plastic floor and can be sucked up the tube into the filter. Those are nice as well if you don't have one, they make a small one that would fit your aquarium. But what I would recommend is a bio wheel, if you can fit it into the top with your cover. Even if you have to cut a hole in the cover to fit it in.

My first tank was the circular Aquaview 360, and I loved it but it would break frequently. (If you read my post about Bubbles, my little danio, that's actually what he lived in for three years.) It has the plastic floor you are talking about, but my current tank does not. Then I had a small 2 gallon glass tank with no frills, because the lid did not allow for it. And again my danios lived three years.

2-gallon-fish-tank-e1441655476393.jpg

Three months ago I switched to Platys and an Aquarius Aquawave 2.5 Gallon (http://www.amazon.com/KollerCraft-Aquarius-AquaWave-Aquarium-Lighting/dp/B0083S5PHO) It has a pump with a little white filter. I'm honestly not the happiest with this tank, it is more narrow than I realized when picking it ---- I do have one issue that makes picking tanks more difficult, my two frisky felines who would love the opportunity to do a little fishing, so the first most important aspect of a tank is, does it securely lock?

715IvGBiINL._SX355_.jpg

I recently found this article, http://m.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=442, about oxygen levels and now I'm freaking out that I have in the past/am currently hurting my fish and am not sure what adjustments to make.

Cutie, I learned everything about aquariums from the internet. There are so many great resources and I think you should first look up "fishtank beneficial bacteria" and "fishtank nitrogen cycle." You need to understand the nitrogen cycle to have a healthy fish tank. And you also have to know the role that your filter media plays in the nitrogen cycle. We could explain it here but there are thousands of good articles you can look up.

Google is your best friend and will answer all of the questions you have about it. I also recommend the bettafish.com forums because they have simple instructions that are geared towards beginner fishkeepers. Literally the #1 most important thing to understand for fishkeeping is the nitrogen cycle. And you can ignore 99% of products geared towards fishtanks EXCEPT dechlorinator and your handy dandy API Master Freshwater Test Kit. Do not rely on pet store employees to test your water or give you fish advice. At all. They are there to sell you things.

Dr. Fosters and Smiths is a great place to buy equipment, but use your judgement on their articles. Notice how they conveniently insert links to their products? You want to find articles that aren't written simply to make people buy more things. Obviously oxygen is important but if you are doing everything else right then your O2 levels are fine. All that article is saying is what every other general fishkeeping article says. Beneficial bacteria, frequent water changes, good filter flow, and test regularly. No, you don't need an oxygen tester for your itty bitty cup of platys :) If there isn't enough oxygen your fish are either dead or gasping at the surface.

You said you have a 2.5gal? Don't put any more fish in there. Snails, whatever. 2.5gal is the absolute smallest a tank should be (especially bc you don't have live plants) and you need to be very aware that a tank that small can get dirty fast. By dirty I mean high levels of ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Which is explained in all the nitrogen cycle articles. 2.5gal cannot handle a big bioload. Do not put more fish in! Good luck with your little fishy buddies!

PS Bubbles is such a pretty color!

PPS Live coral is a colony of thousands of animals, they are not plants. And they only live in saltwater. But that doesn't really matter, I don't think the platys are secretly judging you for having fake coral rocks in your freshwater tank!

Last edited:
I've never added bacteria to any of my tanks, can you explain the process and why this is necessary?

Also, I know for larger tanks you have to only replace some of the water, but I didn't realize that applied to a tank of my size so I have always cleaned it fully once a month. Taking the fish out of the tank (keeping them in a bowl of water from the tank) and fully rinsing all the waste from the rocks, dechlorinating, and then letting it sit for a minute before adding the fish back. Should I be doing this differently, and if so, help!

Beneficial Bacteria.

Fish produce waste. Also leftover uneaten food is waste material too. As waste starts to build up (even from the first day you put fish in an aquarium) bacteria start to grow.

There's 3 main types of bacteria working in aquariums:
  1. Bacteria that converts that waste to Ammonia. Ammonia is very toxic to fish.
  2. A 2nd bacteria starts growing that eats Ammonia and produces Nitrite. That's less toxic, but still bad.
  3. Then a third bacteria converts Nitrite to Nitrate. Less harmful.

Now the problem is there's no bacteria that eats Nitrate so it stays in your aquarium and slowly builds up. It's the least harmful to fish, but in large enough quantities it can still be bad.

That's why you do 'partial' water changes; to remove Nitrates. It completes the nitrogen cycle that way to help remove waste material.

When you completely empty out an aquarium you're basically starting over. It's providing fresh water for the fish. So that's not a bad way to go. It just means you're also forcing yourself into a cycle of continuous cleaning that is more than you would have to do.

By totally replacing the water you're also removing the beneficial bacteria that are there to help you out with waste removal and cut down on Ammonia.

So in small tanks without normal filters it may be better to just clean them out completely to remove Ammonia like you've been doing. If you have a slightly bigger one, or you have filters installed with little filter pads containing activated carbon it's probably easier, and better for the fish, to do partial water changes.

The bottles of beneficial bacteria I mentioned before simply help jump start new aquariums with all the bacteria needed to get that cycle going 'before' the waste builds up too far. And then you can also add a small amount of it after every partial water change to help bring the bacteria levels back up.

The bio wheel filters I mentioned before do pretty much the same thing. The wheel is constantly wet and being aerated to promote bacteria growth faster on it's fabric mesh. So it's continually producing the bacteria for you.

Beneficial Bacteria.

Fish produce waste. Also leftover uneaten food is waste material too. As waste starts to build up (even from the first day you put fish in an aquarium) bacteria start to grow.

There's 3 main types of bacteria working in aquariums:
  1. Bacteria that converts that waste to Ammonia. Ammonia is very toxic to fish.
  2. A 2nd bacteria starts growing that eats Ammonia and produces Nitrite. That's less toxic, but still bad.
  3. Then a third bacteria converts Nitrite to Nitrate. Less harmful.

Now the problem is there's no bacteria that eats Nitrate so it stays in your aquarium and slowly builds up. It's the least harmful to fish, but in large enough quantities it can still be bad.

That's why you do 'partial' water changes; to remove Nitrates. It completes the nitrogen cycle that way to help remove waste material.

When you completely empty out an aquarium you're basically starting over. It's providing fresh water for the fish. So that's not a bad way to go. It just means you're also forcing yourself into a cycle of continuous cleaning that is more than you would have to do.

By totally replacing the water you're also removing the beneficial bacteria that are there to help you out with waste removal and cut down on Ammonia.

So in small tanks without normal filters it may be better to just clean them out completely to remove Ammonia like you've been doing. If you have a slightly bigger one, or you have filters installed with little filter pads containing activated carbon it's probably easier, and better for the fish, to do partial water changes.

The bottles of beneficial bacteria I mentioned before simply help jump start new aquariums with all the bacteria needed to get that cycle going 'before' the waste builds up too far. And then you can also add a small amount of it after every partial water change to help bring the bacteria levels back up.

The bio wheel filters I mentioned before do pretty much the same thing. The wheel is constantly wet and being aerated to promote bacteria growth faster on it's fabric mesh. So it's continually producing the bacteria for you.

You're the best! Thank you for explaining so simply and making it very easy for me to understand!

Reactions: JerryBoBerry
Google is your best friend and will answer all of the questions you have about it.

Yes, yes, yes. So true. I made this forum more as a learning experience for me as a newbie to ACF, but also as a jumping off place to gain some insight from those more knowledgeable than me. It's my first time with a new species of fish. I've always been very much aware that every mammal, reptile, insect, etc all have there own personalities just like humans, even within the same species. I think that's something a lot of people fail to realize. Anyway, it was immediately apparent to me that my new Platy fish, were much different then my previous danios, and I want to adapt to what will make them the most comfortable.

AND of course, my second reason for the forum was to hopefully see some peoples beautiful aquariums, but I'm still waiting on that one! Hint, hint, wink, wink, y'all!

Literally the #1 most important thing to understand for fishkeeping is the nitrogen cycle. And you can ignore 99% of products geared towards fishtanks EXCEPT dechlorinator and your handy dandy API Master Freshwater Test Kit.

Thanks! I'm definitely going to pick myself up some. You also set a new goal for me, make my links pretty like yours.

Do not rely on pet store employees to test your water or give you fish advice. At all. They are there to sell you things.

Not only do I not rely on them, but I have yelled at them for poor treatment of fish.

Dr. Fosters and Smiths is a great place to buy equipment, but use your judgement on their articles. Notice how they conveniently insert links to their products?

Yes, this is an excellent point. I am always wary when someones main purpose is to make money. The only reason I referenced the article is because I had never heard of such a thing, so naturally my first instinct is to panic.

Don't put any more fish in there. Snails, whatever.

I definitely didn't plan to put anymore fish in there. I just contemplating maybe adding snails, but again I know nothing about them. I don't know how many would be the right size for my tank, or if they would even be a necessary addition.

PS Bubbles is such a pretty color!

This isn't a very flattering picture quite honestly. First, it's hard to take a picture through glass, Second, danios are fast little fishies, and third Bubbles spent most of his time riding the Bubbles and swimming under the gravel, crazy little man. Honestly, I wish I had a picture of him in his prime, much more plump, with his gorgeous Silver scales. And I would give anything to have a video of him surfing the Bubbles. Cutest site ever.

I'll take better pictures in the morning, when you can actually see their beautiful colors, but here's my itty bitties, Sunny and Flare.

Flare didn't want to cooperate, so the best picture I got was of him pooping...

G'nite all!

Attachments

• flare-pooping.png
    flare-pooping.png
    301.5 KB · Views: 14
  • my-tank.png
    my-tank.png
    255.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Sunny.png
    Sunny.png
    330.4 KB · Views: 13
  • together.png
    together.png
    326.5 KB · Views: 14
Good morning! Yeah what Jerry said about the bacteria is a really good simple way to explain the nitrogen cycle. You can also look at the pretty pictures on google. Pictures help me understand things better. When I was studying botany the diagrams for things literally saved my ass.

The only thing I'd add to Jerry's post is that most of the bacteria aren't wiggling around in your water. They are in your filter sponge, on your gravel, and on the plant decorations. I believe that partial water changes are more so you don't shock the fish & bacteria with completely different water (different temperature, pH, hardness, etc). Just like how you float a new fishy in a baggie and slowly add tank water to acclimate it. But obviously I haven't run scientific tests so lets just say "partial water changes = good!"

I think your tank looks so cute!!!! Platys like to swim around and around and around so I think your amount of fake plants are good. Do you have a lot of bright light on the tank during the day? I would look at maybe getting a live plant, either an Anubias or a moss ball. If you look up "planted tanks" that's what I'm into, so I'm a little crazy but I LOVE PLANTS SO MUCH. Wow never thought I'd be confessing that on a camgirl forum hahaha

I'll take better pictures in the morning, when you can actually see their beautiful colors, but here's my itty bitties, Sunny and Flare.

Flare didn't want to cooperate, so the best picture I got was of him pooping...

G'nite all!

Flare is thinking, "Dang mom! I had the door closed for a reason ya know!"

It helps if you can talk fishie. :)

Pictures help me understand things better.

I am the same way, a TOTAL visual learner.

I believe that partial water changes are more so you don't shock the fish & bacteria with completely different water (different temperature, pH, hardness, etc).

This makes complete sense to me.

Do you have a lot of bright light on the tank during the day?

I TRY my best, but thanks to camming, I get to sleep in a lot. So some days they get no real light at all.

That's actually something I have a question about, my tank has a LED. Every morning when I wake up I set it to Blue (It can be Blue, Green, Red, White) before I feed them, and then at night I shut it off. This is my attempt at providing them with a day/night schedule. Obviously I know natural light is best, but am I doing the right thing by turning the tank light on, or am I just bugging them?

I LOVE PLANTS SO MUCH. Wow never thought I'd be confessing that on a camgirl forum hahaha

This made me actually laugh out loud. :wacky:

Have a great day Casey!

That's actually something I have a question about, my tank has a LED. Every morning when I wake up I set it to Blue (It can be Blue, Green, Red, White) before I feed them, and then at night I shut it off. This is my attempt at providing them with a day/night schedule. Obviously I know natural light is best, but am I doing the right thing by turning the tank light on, or am I just bugging them?

Fishies like a regular night and day schedule. If it's dark all the time that's no good, and if the light is on all the time then they can't sleep. I have one of those timers you can get for xmas lights and have it set to 10hrs daylight (white light) during the day. The blue light is more of a night-light.

• Helpful!
Reactions: eyeteach
Fishies like a regular night and day schedule. If it's dark all the time that's no good, and if the light is on all the time then they can't sleep. I have one of those timers you can get for xmas lights and have it set to 10hrs daylight (white light) during the day. The blue light is more of a night-light.

Yeah, that's about the same cycle I try to keep for them. I was on the fence, I couldn't decide whether blue or white was more natural.

Finally got a good picture! Also thought I'd mention, I decided to take the green plant out, I put it in as a test to see if they would like it more, but I don't think they did so it's gone now.

Also, since you all were the first friends I made here at ACF, I feel like you are the once I want to share my celebratory party dance with. I've got my official model status, woot woot! Sunny-Flare.png

This sounds beautiful! I'd love to see pictures.

ok here goes.

Here is a picture of the Freshwater tank.
image1_edited.jpg
Presently I am dealing with my Zebras having a die off I have lost 6 in the past week. I just tested my water thinking I have a lot of Ammonia in the water but no It is Nitrite. Which will require several 50% water changes every other day, I have purchased 2 API tests on for Ammonia and one for Nitrite. (Don't purchase the paper strip tests they are not as accurate). I will probably loose a few more fish but they were $1.50 so It is sad but it is not like my salt water fish that are substantially more expensive.

And here is the Saltwater tank
image2_edited.jpg
I've lost 2 Cleaner Wrasse and one 6 Line Wrasse in the past 2 weeks. The water parameters are excellent and thus it is a mystery. I recently read that some salt water fish are not raised in captivity and must be harvested and some countries allow the use of cyanide which will stun the fish and allow for them to be harvested. The cyanide stresses the fish and some die later on. Like after you add them to your tank. I haven't had the conversation with my fish store about this yet to fond out where he gets his fish. He has been in business for over 30 years and I can't believe that he deals with these people. I cant see any one staying in business with a high mortality rate of the fish. Yet that is another topic for another board.

Loosing fish happens it is a part of the hobby. Keeping them alive is the success and the fun part along with the relaxation of watching them swim around. And it keeps me wanting to go on my next scuba vacation to see the fish in their own environment.
061_edited.jpg
Butterfly swimming among the Barrel sponges and coral off a reef in Cozumel last month.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've lost 2 Cleaner Wrasse and one 6 Line Wrasse in the past 2 weeks. The water parameters are excellent and thus it is a mystery.

Loosing fish happens it is a part of the hobby. Keeping them alive is the success and the fun part along with the relaxation of watching them swim around. And it keeps me wanting to go on my next scuba vacation to see the fish in their own environment.

I just realized that I only apologized for the loss of your freshwater fish. My condolences for ALL of your losses. Most people who say, who cares, they're just fish but to me all life is precious. So I'm very sorry.

And clearly, a very sensitive person, I've never even met you or your fish, but it's been on my mind since you posted. I'm so grateful you shared your pictures with us!!

I think what she was

originally asking

about was how to do this.

Not just quote multiple messages.

But actually break up one into multiple parts.

@AmberCutie

I'm going to go looking for the answer in the help section as well but I figured since you have been so helpful and friendly, maybe you know the answer. Is there an easy way to do this on my phone?

When I copy one line, it doesn't give my the option to quote the same way it does on a PC.

Obviously I can still quote the whole text and make it work, but it's rather time consuming to hit backspace for the parts I'm not trying to focus on.

I guess I should mention I have an android, I don't know if that makes a difference.

@AmberCutie

I'm going to go looking for the answer in the help section as well but I figured since you have been so helpful and friendly, maybe you know the answer. Is there an easy way to do this on my phone?

When I copy one line, it doesn't give my the option to quote the same way it does on a PC.

Obviously I can still quote the whole text and make it work, but it's rather time consuming to hit backspace for the parts I'm not trying to focus on.

I guess I should mention I have an android, I don't know if that makes a difference.

Well there my ability to help comes to a roadblock. I have a cheap prepaid Tracfone flip phone I keep around for when I travel. Otherwise I've never owned a smart phone. That said I do have tablets that use chrome mobile, which should be similar to on a phone.

I tried long tapping on text, on the tablet, and it gave me the little highlighting arrows I could move around. No matter if I selected a single line or all of it I was still able to press on that little quote button, and it inserted it okay for me down in the post reply box.

So I'm not sure if there's a difference in phone version versus tablet. Are you using Chrome or some other browser? If it's just the built in generic phone browser that's the first thing i'd try switching to see.

<<Tablet screen shot>>
2016-03-21-12-02-14.png

Are you using Chrome or some other browser?

Well, first of all thank you for going above and beyond to help me! Clearly ACF is quickly becoming my new obsession. I've never had a community of people that I felt comfortable in (besides MFC of course)

I tried to upload a screenshot from my phone, and it didn't let me. So I guess that problem number two.

I'm using Firefox. It's the browser I use for porn and other naughty things. Chrome is my preferred browser but I like to keep my chrome history clean in case anyone grabs my phone and tries to search for something. My cam life is still a secret, and of course no one wants their porn searches to pop up as suggestions.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 6
I'm using Firefox. It's the browser I use for porn and other naughty things. Chrome is my preferred browser but I like to keep my chrome history clean in case anyone grabs my phone and tries to search for something. My cam life is still a secret, and of course no one wants their porn searches to pop up as suggestions.

I think it's just an issue between Xenforo (the forum software) and Firefox. It doesn't seem to work in Firefox at all. Both on my tablet and my desktop computer. I freshly installed it on the tablet. I tried going into a 'Private Window' and disabling every extension. Nothing got it to work in Firefox.

I just checked in Dolphin Browser on my tablet too. It didn't work there either. So it seems it's specifically coded to work with Chrome only.

@AmberCutie

• Helpful!
Reactions: Cutie_Kisses
I think it's just an issue between Xenforo (the forum software) and Firefox. It doesn't seem to work in Firefox at all. Both on my tablet and my desktop computer. I freshly installed it on the tablet. I tried going into a 'Private Window' and disabling every extension. Nothing got it to work in Firefox.

I just checked in Dolphin Browser on my tablet too. It didn't work there either. So it seems it's specifically coded to work with Chrome only.

@AmberCutie

You seriously are the best Jerry! Thanks for going to such lengths to help me! Looks like I'm switching to chrome!

Hello again friends! So can someone tell me what these results? (They were taken after fish have been living in the tank for a month.)

Normally I would be cleaning the tank today, if you haven't been following since day one, I always remove fish, do a complete water change, clean the rocks, etc. You guys seem 50/50 on whether that's the best option for my 2.5 gallon tank.

My water is hard and my alkalinity is high. What do?

0407161812.jpg

Hi fishy person. I wont rehash whats been said but will offer, since your tank is so small. get yourself one of those 5 gallon water bottles and use that as your premade water supply. That way you can dechlorinate it and let it age some and have it sitting there for when needed. Leave it open, [as long as bugs cant get in] or even better is get a small air pump and drop an airstone in it. Over the years I have found old aged water is more balanced and much less of a shock to fish than the new treated stuff.
If your alkalinity is high, a water swap will help that. If it's hi fresh from the faucet, on your small tank, you can use bottled water from some source besides the city you live in. You can increase the aeration of the water or add a real plant. You can also try some clean peat moss in a mesh bag if you have the room. Just be careful you don't toss off the other chemistry levels while fixing one thing. The key is small changes in chemistry. Be sure to keep detailed notes for reference when it happens again. that way you know what works and what doesn't. [i tend to forget the little details on obscure things if i don't deal with them very often.]
Another option and if you plan on staying with the hobby, look into an RO water filter system. I'm lucky and have good water so i get by with a carbon block and a half micron filter to remove chlorine and chemicals.

Currently I am down to 3-75g and a 125g tank for the Cichlids. I have 5 other tanks in storage. I decided to cut back for awhile bc i wanted a break. When they were all up and running capacity was a little over 750 gallons.

Status
Not open for further replies.