AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Hip Surgery and Recovery 2016

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Day 54 / ~8 weeks - "dammit."

Appointment done. Fuck, felt like it took forever today, but maybe it was because I went in before we had breakfast, or even coffee for that matter.

So here's the skinny:

Doc moved my leg around to test my mobility and comfort. He feels I should not be experiencing the amount of pain (and apprehension of the simple movements he attempted) that I'm going through at around the 8 week mark. Suggests maybe I just heal slower than some, and that there is some inflammation and scar tissue causing my discomfort and difficulty walking. Having another MRI right now would not be able to show us much at this point in the recovery, so we're just giving it some time.
  • I'm back on both crutches for at least 1 week, weaning off after that as comfortable
  • No physical therapy until I reconvene with him in around 2'ish weeks.
  • Rest the hip. Bike only 5-15 minutes at a time, 1 or 2x per day. TAKE IT EASY.
  • 500mg Naproxen 2x/day for 2 weeks.
He did throw the scary thought out there that it could have torn again, and that the only way to really tell that now would be to go back in arthroscopically. He said he certainly was not recommending/suggesting that, nor would I be favorable to that right now. But it's still scary to hear it.

I had already experienced difficulty sleeping in the wee hours of this morning due to pretty intense ache in my joint, and having him manipulate it around at the appointment has only left me more sore. I've taken my first dose of naproxen, hoping it'll have some calming effect on my hip soon. I'm planning to recline in the living room most of today, and not planning to attempt getting on cam today. Aside from needing to "take it easy" and being sore, I'm feeling sorta boohooey and hope that wears off by tomorrow so I can cam the last 2 days of March. mumblemumble goals mumblemumble...

I'll be around Twitsville and ACF via my daybed in the living room. Feel free to drop a line or some cute puppy or kitten gifs my way if you see me about! :)

Last edited:
Feels strange updating this since it's April now... but the recovery is still ongoing so I may as well keep it all together.

I'm back on both crutches for at least 1 week, weaning off after that as comfortable
After the first week I still felt basically exactly the same as I did when I went to the doctor, so I emailed him letting him know, and asked if this continued, how soon an MRI would possibly be feasible, and he said at least 4 months post surg, so not until beginning of June. To give myself this 2nd week of rest and Naproxen, email him again on the 13th.

Over the weekend I felt like some of the inflammation may have gone down, as I can move around a little more, but am still having the sharp catching pain when I try to walk. I'm trying to walk gently without crutches at this point to see if I've really made any progress before I email him on Wednesday.

It's frustrating, And it's scary. Not knowing WTF is happening in such a major joint, and having these burning feelings of regret for having the surgery at all, because of all the "what ifs". What if it never feels better than this? What if I did something wrong during early recovery that messed this up? What if I always walk crooked and with sharper pain than before? I had so many hopes of this recovery going smoothly, then fixing my right side within the next year or so and being completely "fixed" in the near future. But, what if I was better off not doing it? What if it's my fault? Did I do enough? Did I do too much?

It does a number on me emotionally. I naturally overthink things, and even though I recognize that I am likely thinking too far into it and panicking, I can't just tell that part of me to shut off and keep calm.

email him again on the 13th.
Heard back today:

I suggest you continue to rest it another 1-2 weeks and see if you make more improvement. Continue with the naproxen, but do stop if you have any gastro-intestinal issues. If you can walk ok, even if gingerly, then don't use the crutches. I don't expect you to walk your normal gait at this point. If just easy walking is painful, then continue with crutches for another week or so.

Let's continue to hold off on PT, but try to do gentle range of motion exercises that are comfortable. If not painful, do try to use a stationary bike on low resistance. Do not push through pain for either of these.

Please make an appointment to see me the last week of April so I can evaluate you in person and see how the hip is doing and we can make a plan then.

So I guess more of the same for another couple weeks. His comment about not walking normal gait is reassuring, and also glad to hear he thinks its ok to walk gingerly without crutches unless it hurts too much.

Here we are nearing May and I'm still bumping the February blog, hehe. This one has good news though!

I've been feeling pretty improved over the last week. My form while walking is much more upright with less "pinching" pain so long as I don't follow through too much (when leg goes behind it still hurts). I am still unable to completely shift weight into my left hip, doesn't feel like the joint is coming together correctly. When I try, I get this super high pressure feeling in the front, like it's going to snap. I will definitely address that concern with my doctor this Friday. This is my biggest "WTF" at the moment.

I overdid it just a little on Saturday, as we went and walked around the hardware store, then sat at an awkward barstool at lunch. Then I went up and down my stairs a LOT as we were working on little projects around the house. I was trying to strengthen my muscles by doing the stairs "normal" instead of only going up with the right foot. It didn't hurt at the time, but Saturday night I was very sore and had trouble getting to sleep as there were no comfortable positions. I was achy. Then yesterday it was very easy to turn wrong and get the painful pinch as I was standing/sitting. We had planned another outing, but canceled so I wouldn't push my hip too much over the weekend.

Overall I feel there is a vast improvement from the beginning of April. I stopped taking the naproxen last Thursday as I was starting to get frequent stomach aches and feel ok with that decision now. It's nice to see what it feels like without it before my appointment, anyway.

Just joined the forums tonight and found this thread and I want to give you encouragement to keep moving forward. I also have FAI in both of my hips sure to a congenital hip dysplasia from birth. I made it 35 years before I tore the labrum in my right hip just by walking. That was in Dec 2013. I had it repaired the following December and experienced a lot of the same things you have been going through. Unfortunately, mine did tear again after 3 months though, which is more common than not (not to scare you). However, the complete recovery time could be at least 18 months, with a roller coaster of good months and bad months. I tried PT again to see if that could possibly help ease some of the discomfort even though it is tore and although it didn't take away all of the pain, it has helped me to keep it moving and flexible which I have found to be extremely helpful. I am no longer in PT at this point, but I do try to keep up with my exercises. I found no relief with Aleve, so I was prescribed Meloxicam (which is a stronger anti-inflammatory) which does help, but you can't be on it long term due to the side effects. I have avoided all pain medication throughout, but there are still many days at this point where it is so uncomfortable, especially at night. I haven't had a chance to watch all of your update videos, so you may know most of this, but I just wanted to give you my input. I know there are many days when you may feel great and do more than you did the day before (like the hardware store) but don't try to rush the recovery because that only pushes you back. It's hard though because you just want to get it over with (I still do it today). If you have any questions or need help, I'd be happy to help in any way possible.

I want to give you encouragement to keep moving forward.
Thank you very much for the post! Since you had it since birth, you went through your early childhood with pain and limited flexibility? That's such a bummer. My hips didn't start bothering me until about 10 years ago, and obviously I didn't tear mine until last year, but the strange sensations, pain and random jolting spasms I had in my hips all those years before the tear were awful. I'm sorry you went through that so long!

My followup appointment is today, I hope to get some similar words of encouragement from my surgeon that will give me a good picture of my next few months here. Wish me luck!

I have a follow up appointment next Tuesday actually to discuss what our next plans are. We have exhausted all non-operative approaches so a hip replacement is likely. Since I had it since birth, it was something where I realized I was missing out on flexibility, I just thought that was the way it was supposed to be.

It's difficult to see anyone going through pain, especially when there is so little that can be done. Best of luck to you at your appointment, I look forward to hearing what the prognosis is at this point.

Doc is not happy with the actual joint progress, though he was happy to hear I was able to move around/walk better.

Another MRI is in process of approval right now. le sigh.

He says unfortunately it is super unlikely we will get much, if any, information from this but it's worth a shot.

Now we wait. More waiting.

I already made brief mention of this on Twitter, but will elaborate here...
Now we wait. More waiting.
Since this is the case, I don't feel planning a mega month/AAA month (whatever we are calling my "going for best rank possible months") for June like I had hoped. I just don't think I can commit to sitting on cam for the many more hours each day/week so soon that it requires to push for rank until I have a better grasp on recovery and rehab.

It makes me sort of sad, because I was getting myself a little hyped up for doing one very soon. Not only because it's exciting to do well, spend lots of fun time with regulars, and have my whole support crew pushing for awesome rank, but also because I've been somewhat "away" from usual schedule ever since January. I would really like to recoup some of the time/exposure and tokens that I missed out on during surgery and initial recovery time. I am by no means saying I need help with the medical bills or that I'm struggling financially, but I do set goals for myself each year and am now way behind my usual pace, obviously.*

*Due to recent discussion about fake sob stories, manipulation via desperation, negativity of models complaining about rent money, yadda yadda, I figured I would make a point to clear myself of that. My intentions are to attain certain goals that I set in order to feel "successful" in this job that is so very demanding socially and mentally, and requires such sacrifices in other parts of my life. I won't lose my house or starve if I don't make these goals, but they are important to me nonetheless, and reaching these goals is what motivates me to continue doing what I do, and doing it well. I have resolved to not feel ashamed of wanting this success and speaking of it. :happy:

All that being said, I think August will be my next hopeful target for a mega month since it will be my 7 year cammiversary month. Of course this depends on the findings of the MRI and what my doc's plan of action is with my seemingly stubborn broken hip. If we can go forward with AwesomeAugust2016, we shall make it a major shabangy and go for glory! In the mean time, each month that I am able to work similar hours to what I have done this month (April), my goal is to get at least top 500 or better, because falling in that rank range will help keep me on pace with where I want to be for this magnificent year of 2016.

I have a few ideas of fun extra things to do during our next mega month, but I would love to get some replies here of suggestions from my supporters of things you'd like to plan ahead and do come August! And of course, thoughts and notes about the entirety of this blog post are encouraged, too. I love discussion and acknowledgement, you know. :shy:

Last edited:
It's a good time for an update!

MRI completed, results in: no apparent signs of the labrum being torn again, and it looks like the anchor is still in place from the repair. This is great! I was really scared there for a bit that I either re-tore it, or that the anchor had come undone causing all of the inner-joint pain.

Doc says I am likely just healing slowly, that I still have some inflammation that is causing the discomfort. He still isn't happy with my limited mobility when he manipulates my leg/joint during our appointments, but we are going to meet again in 1 month to reassess everything. I may start back at physical therapy after that appointment.

For now I have a hip flexor stretch to do 3-4x a day, stationary bike 1-2x per day 20-30 mins with light resistance (up from "no" resistance, yay!), and taking the NSAIDS when I feel I need them.

As of Tuesday I started feeling MUCH better. Rotation still brings very acute pain, but overall I feel like I can move better. I can walk a more thorough step, my hips look like they're evening out a little though my pelvis still feels tilted, and walking up and down the stairs is almost painless now.

This is good news! I was describing it on cam as "I turned a corner, like the kind of corner where suddenly around the bend there's an ice cream truck giving out free bomb pops!" And that sums it up pretty well. Even my lower back pain is slightly better now that I've been able to walk more stable. I'm going to wait and see how this month pans out before making an appointment with a physiotherapist for that.

I've even been able to sleep in more comfortable positions in the last few nights. That sounds like nothing, but it's a huge deal to me.

So, in conclusion (for now) it would seem that since I am a slow healer, I am now at 3 months post-surgery where most folks would be at closer to 2 months post-surgery. I will keep this in mind (or at least refer to this blog) if I end up having my right hip fixed in the future, so I know what I'm in for next time!

2 thoughts:

1) Slow healer - that's what happens when you get old :p (runs and hides)

2) mmmmm, bomb pops...

I've even been able to sleep in more comfortable positions in the last few nights. That sounds like nothing, but it's a huge deal to me.

Yeah, my Uncle had some surgery like yours years back and he said when he was healing, sleeping was horrid with positions etc. Glad to hear you have that back again to a good degree. If I do not sleep well or the right way it screws my whole world up. Bad Insomnia sometimes.

Reactions: AmberCutie
As you most likely know, one of the best things you can do for yourself is to keep up on your therapy. Most importantly, keep up on your therapy when you feel the least like doing it. Sometimes the pain can just be unbearable, but it's usually because your hip flexor is tight, or there is inflammation somewhere in your hip, or your muscles are weaking. That is where I have struggled the most is doing the therapy on my own. It's easy to do it when it is scheduled and you have to show up, but it is so easy to find excuses on why you can't do it on your own.

I am glad there are signs of progress for you. I think it is one of those operations where every single person will recover at a different speed because there are so many underlying issues causing the pain and/or stiffness.

It's great to hear that you are doing well.

Today marks 5 months post-surgery. Some notes to keep track of the recovery:

Doc sent me back to PT 1 month ago, they've done some more passive range of motion manual therapy with me, and we've started mild strengthening via leg lifts, marching, shallow squats, and ball rolls (with my heels on a big ball).

I'm still having catching/pinching and popping, more pain than pre-surgery. So that's not good, but it is very very gradually improving as the weeks go by. I'm only going to PT once per week for the next month, then I'll check in with doc again.

When I am on cam, it's obvious my range of motion is getting better as my "wiggles" are getting back to where they used to be. Sometimes when I spread too much for a cum show, or dance too aggressively I hurt the next day. I imagine my doc and PT would be opposed to the amount of movement I do on cam based on how mellow their "strengthening" exercises are. It makes me wonder if PT is even really doing much since I already bend and flex a lot on my own. Hmm.

I managed to jog (very very lightly) for probably 1/5th of a mile last week, and was not too worse for the wear after. This is good!

I feel I still have a long ways to go, and if by this year's end I'm still having the pinching and pain upon rotation, I'll freak out a little. But I am thinking at some point in the near future I'll have a sudden breakthrough and feel tons better.

On Friday I had what we hope to be my final visit with my hip doc. The plan is to continue to stretch and strengthen (at home, I'm done with going to phys. therapy) and hope to feel relief by the end of this year. If I am still having any concerns, or feel I am regressing, I can touch base with him around the 10 month to 1 year point.

I am allowed to start jogging little by little, but no treadmills pretty much ever again.

As of right now I still have some popping and pinching/pain, likely from scar tissue and stubborn inflammation. I am sure all the angles I put myself in for cam time are not doing me any favors there.

So I guess we'll see how I'm feeling around the holidays!

On Friday I had what we hope to be my final visit with my hip doc. The plan is to continue to stretch and strengthen (at home, I'm done with going to phys. therapy) and hope to feel relief by the end of this year. If I am still having any concerns, or feel I am regressing, I can touch base with him around the 10 month to 1 year point.

I am allowed to start jogging little by little, but no treadmills pretty much ever again.

As of right now I still have some popping and pinching/pain, likely from scar tissue and stubborn inflammation. I am sure all the angles I put myself in for cam time are not doing me any favors there.

So I guess we'll see how I'm feeling around the holidays!
I just realized I hadn't updated this for a long while. Here's what's up!

I emailed my doc in December to touch base, he said it was unnecessary to see him again with the report I gave him, and wished me the best. Hopefully that's the last we speak, lol.

I've had a lot less of the pinching and popping, though it still happens once a week or so. I've actually given the treadmill a try a few times because I miss that super cardio feeling and it's quite a rush. I did have some aches after one or two of the treadmill sessions, but it could have been due to other activities I also did at the gym that day. So we'll see how that pans out when I get more consistent with it. For now I'm sticking to elliptical on top of a 2-3x week weight workout at the gym.

All in all I've come to terms with the fact that the surgery DID help me in the long run. The extreme sharp or sudden intense spasms do not occur anymore. So while I still have persisting aches, soreness, limited flexibility and pinch/pops, I'm still better off after having the surgery. Every once in a while I'm having a good enough day that I can sit cross-legged for a few minutes at a time. That's something!

I just realized I hadn't updated this for a long while. Here's what's up!

I emailed my doc in December to touch base, he said it was unnecessary to see him again with the report I gave him, and wished me the best. Hopefully that's the last we speak, lol.

I've had a lot less of the pinching and popping, though it still happens once a week or so. I've actually given the treadmill a try a few times because I miss that super cardio feeling and it's quite a rush. I did have some aches after one or two of the treadmill sessions, but it could have been due to other activities I also did at the gym that day. So we'll see how that pans out when I get more consistent with it. For now I'm sticking to elliptical on top of a 2-3x week weight workout at the gym.

All in all I've come to terms with the fact that the surgery DID help me in the long run. The extreme sharp or sudden intense spasms do not occur anymore. So while I still have persisting aches, soreness, limited flexibility and pinch/pops, I'm still better off after having the surgery. Every once in a while I'm having a good enough day that I can sit cross-legged for a few minutes at a time. That's something!

It's good to hear that your recovery is going better. I've had some issues with my left side pinching the last couple years. Going to the chiropractor, stretching, and strength training seems to be helping though.

Can I ask why your doctor said not to use a treadmill?

Can I ask why your doctor said not to use a treadmill?
He said because it unnaturally pulls your foot backwards at the end of your stride, whereas walking on unmoving ground does not. So there's the chance that you move your leg unnaturally on a treadmill vs ground, which can put strain on a hip that already isn't at peak performance.

• Helpful!
Reactions: AudriTwo
He said because it unnaturally pulls your foot backwards at the end of your stride, whereas walking on unmoving ground does not. So there's the chance that you move your leg unnaturally on a treadmill vs ground, which can put strain on a hip that already isn't at peak performance.

Thanks, that's good to know. I never would have thought that.

Reactions: AmberCutie
Status
Not open for further replies.