AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

How to save corrupt .mov files?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey lads and lassies, perhaps the more technologically-minded among you can help me out!

I'm on a Mac and I recorded an awesome public show through Photobooth. I do this because it's the only program I've found that will record my webcam feed while the cam is being used by my broswer (for example, while I'm broadcasting Logitech software won't access the feed...idk why.)

Anyway this USUALLY works...but every once in awhile I end up with a corrupt video. Right now I have a file that is .mov, 224.1 MB. I KNOW there's something in there, but I cannot open it in Quicktime, VLC, or any other program. It says, "The document “Movie on 2013-06-23 at 03.18.mp4” could not be opened. The movie is not in a format that QuickTime Player understands." I also know that there is something in there because I went to a website called mp4repair.org, which showed me a preview in great quality of the video. But they said it would cost $101 to repair! Um, fuck dat.

I don't understand why this has happened, although I do have several other video files like this as well. Does anyone have any insight into what's going on and what I can do?

Reactions: SerenaMoon
shot in the dark - tried using video conversion software to make it an .avi or something and try then?

Reactions: camstory
Like what kind of software? I realized the file was broken when I tried to open it in iMovie, but since it's not recognizing it as a .mov file I'm not sure conversion software will work.

Lily, I recently bought the pro version of Video Pad video editor software, because I have been trying to teach myself some about video editing, and had really liked the trail version. I have no idea how it works with .mov files recorded on a mac, through photobooth, but I don't think the format structure would be any different from any other .mov file, and I have had nothing but luck with this software fixing .mov files, as well as .avi and many of the windows based files. It takes the broken file and converts it to its own Video Pad format, and you can chose one of many output file formats. I think the trail version is full feature when it comes to this, so you might want to try it, if it comes in a mac version? If not there may be something comparable?

Reactions: LilyEvans
I've saved a few video files using one of several "video converter" apps that I've collected. When one doesn't work, I'll try another, eventually, something will fix it, if the data is really there. What's usually corrupt is some small item in the file that causes various players like Quicktime to reject the entire file, but some apps will rebuild the file and repair the corruption. A few of the apps I try:

Miro Video Converter
MediaHuman Video Converter
Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate
FFmpeg

...and others. Build an arsenal. :) Also, I've had image files that Photoshop couldn't open but that GraphicConverter opens without even breathing hard. A good place to look for specialized software is macupdate.com.

First try manually changing the file extension. For example if it is an .wmv then try it as an .avi It is rare but I have seen other programs change video file extensions for some odd reason.

If that doesn't work then, as mentioned, try using a convertor. I actually paid the one time fee for Downloadhelper and I love it! Great program for converting and it is a Firefox add on. I'm sure there are a ton of others that will convert it also.

Okie dokie, so far I have tried:

* manually changing the extension. File still won't open (although it did appear to successfully change the file type to .avi)

* downloaded Miro Video Converter-- nothing happened. Like, I tried dragging the file into the program like it said to do...and nothing happened at all. I tried browsing my files and opening it that way and still nothing happened. I didn't even get an error message. It took non-corrupt video files just fine.

* downloaded Prism. Failed to convert multiple corrupt files. I downloaded video pad at the same time so I guess I'll try that next although it's not looking good... (Edit: Tried Videopad. "In order to open this file videopad must first convert it.">OK>"File failed to open"

I feel like I'm on crazy pills! APPLY, Y U NO WERK RITE. I also seriously have no idea why it's doing this. I guess I'll have to find another program to record with from the get-go. FUDGE!

There are other programs that might be able to open the vid...just keep trying ifnit's that important t you,

More importantly, you can record your cam feed directly into iMovie while broadcasting. Photobooth is really not intended for that,

guest105105 said:
There are other programs that might be able to open the vid...just keep trying ifnit's that important t you,

More importantly, you can record your cam feed directly into iMovie while broadcasting. Photobooth is really not intended for that,

Thanks. I will keep looking although I did have someone save the video for me! ^_^ I'll just have to record to a non-Photobooth program. i tried recording directly into iMovie but I had serious audio lag that I couldn't seem to correct.

Reactions: SerenaMoon and Brad
LilyEvans said:
guest105105 said:

Thanks. I will keep looking although I did have someone save the video for me! ^_^ I'll just have to record to a non-Photobooth program. i tried recording directly into iMovie but I had serious audio lag that I couldn't seem to correct.
Most likely because you are on a laptop. Even if the laptop has nice specs, they really aren't meant for high end video recording, or editing, no matter what Apple might try to say. The CPU and RAM requirements, especially while broadcasting online, are simply too high.

I used to think my iMac (2009) with its 4 GB RAM and 3.2 GHz dual core processor was decent, but the more I use it for things like editing and such, the more I realize it isn't meant for these types of things. iMacs are basically glorified laptops, anyway, just with a much bigger screen (mine is 23"). Apple just uses the same parts from their laptops on the inside.

It's why I'm trying to save up for a new PC. I can get a quad core i7, 32 GB RAM, etc. and build it for video editing, and STILL pay less than the $2200 I paid for this iMac. Plus, it will finally let me use Steam to the potential it has, since Steam's Mac game section is horribly bare.

UncleThursday said:
It's why I'm trying to save up for a new PC. I can get a quad core i7, 32 GB RAM, etc. and build it for video editing, and STILL pay less than the $2200 I paid for this iMac. Plus, it will finally let me use Steam to the potential it has, since Steam's Mac game section is horribly bare.

Are you by any chance able to build one yourself or know someone who can build it for you? A home built you can get those specs and beyond for half that cost or less.

Also I don't know if you are dead set on Intel but usually you can get AMD for less. Comparing similar benchmarked cpu's AMD usually comes in around $50 cheaper in my experience.

Nordling said:
Wow. Where are you that you had to pay $2200 for an iMac? Mine is older but sounds like about the same for it's age, and I only paid $1400, plus I have 8GB of RAM.

At the time this was also the biggest screen iMac (24", since I just checked my about this mac and display), plus I had Final Cut Express preinstalled, not realizing that the damn program wouldn't work with anything besides digital video camcorder files. So that was a waste of nearly $200. I also went with the TB internal HDD, which also added to the cost. I think I also went with the slightly better graphics card.

All in all, with all the extras and such I put in, it came to $2400. But I got to use my friend's discount since he worked at an Apple Store, which I think was like 10% at the time for friends and family.

Looking at Apple's website, the most expensive current iMacs start at $2k without any additional options, which sounds about right for this one when I ordered it. $2k + extras minus discount came to around $2200 after sales tax.

JerryBoBerry said:
Are you by any chance able to build one yourself or know someone who can build it for you? A home built you can get those specs and beyond for half that cost or less.

My dad knows someone who builds PCs. I'm buying the parts from the shop, basically, and paying a nominal fee to have them put it together. Going with at least a 1 TB internal, plus a 256 GB SSD for the OS and browsers and such, and Windows 7 64 bit, it should run me between $1800-$1900 with them building it.

As to the AMD vs. Intel, most of the video editing sites I have been researching have said, right now, the i7 is better than anything AMD has out. Last generation of processors, they recommended AMD, but right now they recommend the i7 for video editing.

LilyEvans said:
Hey lads and lassies, perhaps the more technologically-minded among you can help me out!

I'm on a Mac and I recorded an awesome public show through Photobooth. I do this because it's the only program I've found that will record my webcam feed while the cam is being used by my broswer (for example, while I'm broadcasting Logitech software won't access the feed...idk why.)

Anyway this USUALLY works...but every once in awhile I end up with a corrupt video. Right now I have a file that is .mov, 224.1 MB. I KNOW there's something in there, but I cannot open it in Quicktime, VLC, or any other program. It says, "The document “Movie on 2013-06-23 at 03.18.mp4” could not be opened. The movie is not in a format that QuickTime Player understands." I also know that there is something in there because I went to a website called mp4repair.org, which showed me a preview in great quality of the video. But they said it would cost $101 to repair! Um, fuck dat.

I don't understand why this has happened, although I do have several other video files like this as well. Does anyone have any insight into what's going on and what I can do?

Is it a .mov or a .mp4? It's odd that VLC won't play it, it tends to play just about everything for me. When you finished the video, did you stop the recording or just quit the program, sometimes this will cause a a corrupt video. The file data is in there, what I think you really need is someone who can compare the data in your file against a good file and add the data that tells it the file is complete. No conversion program is going to do that. Do you know any hackers?

PS: Serena is not this smart, I asked my Dad and emailed a Genius I used to work with when I was at Apple :)

UncleThursday said:
JerryBoBerry said:

My dad knows someone who builds PCs. I'm buying the parts from the shop, basically, and paying a nominal fee to have them put it together. Going with at least a 1 TB internal, plus a 256 GB SSD for the OS and browsers and such, and Windows 7 64 bit, it should run me between $1800-$1900 with them building it.

As to the AMD vs. Intel, most of the video editing sites I have been researching have said, right now, the i7 is better than anything AMD has out. Last generation of processors, they recommended AMD, but right now they recommend the i7 for video editing.
It's true the BEST Intel is better than the BEST AMD. But you pay dearly for that best Intel chip. Usually I tend to look at comparisons of benchmarks between the two. If you compare an Intel and an AMD with roughly the same processing power the AMD will always be cheaper. Intel being overpriced in my mind. I usually like to get the best bang for my buck so I've stuck with AMD in the past. But if money is not a concern and you simply want the best on the market, then Intel would be the way to go.

UncleThursday said:

Seems like a reasonable price for going with the good components. I just quickly put together a build in Newegg and Tigerdirect shopping carts. Just going with the best parts on everything pretty much (AMD on this one, not Intel) I got a total of $1721.54 to the door.

This is for an 8 core 4.2GHz processor, 32GB ram, Geforce GTX 650 video card, 256GB SSD, 3TB Hard Drive, Antec Three Hundred mid tower case, Corsair 750W PSU, BluRay drive, Win 8 64-bit and a 24" HannsG monitor.
All parts well reviewed, so hopefully no clunkers.

I noticed you mentioned a 1TB hard drive. Since you also mentioned video editing I would really suggest a 3TB hard Drive (or more if you want). For a well reviewed 1TB you're going to be paying around $100. But for $149 you can have a 3TB. Videos fill up space fast. I've got six 2TB drives now and I'm needing more myself. The best price point right now seems to be in the 3TB range, so I'd really recommend that in your situation.

Here's the breakdown and list of links if you want to check any of them out.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128509
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113284
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226317
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130839
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147193
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822149396
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129042
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135247
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4864601&CatId=7686
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7585070&CatId=5469

Attachments

• Screenshot - 6_26_2013 , 5_49_00 PM.jpg
    Screenshot - 6_26_2013 , 5_49_00 PM.jpg
    562.2 KB · Views: 156
Reactions: UncleThursday
A few years back I worked IT for a large retail outfit and helped build and roll out a digital signage system to all their stores so I got quite a bit of experience in this field from dealing with that. At IP-Police we do offer free tier-1 level technical support for our clients who subscribe to our Gold Protection Package, but I'm a geek for this kinda stuff so if anyone has any questions with making quality videos then feel free to contact me for help and when I get a moment I'll be more than happy to help out. But to help clear the fog with all the questions here's a few quick pointers:

Here is a run-down on the video file types from what I know of them off the top of my head:
  • 3GP - Typically video shot from mobile devices, usually very poor in quality.
  • AVI - Technology developed in the 1990's and really should only be used if your computer is from before 2006 (about the time all PC's starting selling with multiple CPU Cores). AVI video files are usually only standard definition and even at that have pretty large file sizes compared to other video file types.
  • FLV - Flash Video, while flash surprisingly seems to continue to keep a strong hold in streaming media (MFC, Youtube, etc) it should be avoided. There are a whole myriad of issues that come with flash including audio/video sync issues and the inability to play on the Apple devices like iPad (Thanks Steve Jobs). The only places where it seems to do well is with very low quality video, and by low quality I mean a Slow Speed VHS tape (for those of you who know what I'm talking about, its crap quality).
  • MKV - Matroska Video is an uncompressed and typically very large video file that is usually reserved for HD quality videos that contain high quality surround sound and provide the ability to insert subtitles. For the scope of videos produced by Webcam Models I don't think MKV really is a good fit.
  • MOV - Apple's Quicktime Video Format. I can't tell you much about it because I never would use this format as it requires people to go download Quicktime from Apple (which annoyingly interrupts me to let me that it needs to update itself on what seems like a weekly basis). I understand if you use Apple devices that you kinda get forced into creating MOV files because that's what Apple does. My suggestion is use what you like to record, and then when your done convert the MOV to MP4.
  • MP4 - This really should be the only video file type used as it will play on every single device capable of playing videos (Mac, PC, Linux, DVD Players, Cell Phones, HTML5 Websites, etc). The main reason why MP4 has only recently become the standard (by replacing flash video in HTML5) is that MP4 is a compressed video which means when your encoding the video it does require a bit of CPU power (of which I personally can say the i7 is a great choice, they're my processor of choice!). Whether your making a regular movie or a HD movie this is your go-to video file type.
  • WebM - This video file was pushed heavily by Google to be used as the standard video file type for HTML5 but in the end they lost to MP4. Really the only place I've encountered it is on Youtube. Never really played with this one much as I've just gone with the more widely accepted MP4 Video File.
  • WMV - Windows Media Video, vary similar to ASF which is another terrible video file type that Microsoft bestowed upon us, if only they just stuck to what they were good at with Office & Windows they'd be perfect, but these are about as an epic fail as Bing Search has become. Extremely huge files that don't play nicely is pretty much par for the course. Avoid these at all costs, pretty much guaranteed fail of some fashion will be provided when selecting this file type.

In summary: MP4 is the way to go, best quality, usually smaller file sizes, absolutely no compatibility issues, and its the wave of the future as its being adopted as the standard for video with HTML5.

Quick tip for fixing files: When ffmpeg (which is what any of these video software tools use behind the scenes) fails me I go to YouTube. Yup, that's right, they literally have tons of data-centers with thousands of servers that just sit there and encode videos all day long. Create a YouTube account, upload your broken video (be sure to make it private, especially if its got adult content) and let their automated software fix it, its a whole lot easier and a lot less aggravating. Then use a YouTube downloader to download the highest resolution MP4 file and you're all set.

If YouTube can't fix your broken video file, then nothing else will likely be able to. I've used it to fix audio/video sync issues and also you can use it to provide both SD and HD resolution qualities of your videos. Best of all, its free.

Feel free to contact me if you got any questions and I'd be glad to help point you in the right direction :)

IP-Police said:
[*]MKV - Matroska Video is an uncompressed and typically very large video file that is usually reserved for HD quality videos that contain high quality surround sound and provide the ability to insert subtitles. For the scope of videos produced by Webcam Models I don't think MKV really is a good fit.
MKV isn't a file format itself. It's just a container system. It can hold both video and audio files inside of it and they can be filmed in virtually any format. It's more akin to Winzip in that you can just toss multiple video and audio files in it and have one file hold them all. It's more compact than dvd or blu-ray for the same quality, so models that are wanting to film high quality HD it's a great choice. Also since it is completely open standard project there are many free software titles out there to use. One other nice aspect is that since all meta information is preserved in MKV and compressed media data (video, audio, subtitles) is not changed in any way it is always possible to transcode MKV files into original format. For example, MKV files produced from a Blu-ray disc may be transcoded back to a Blu-ray image or set of M2TS files without any losses by freeware transcoding tools. MKV 'CAN' be a very large file however it can be compressed to any file quality very easily with free software. Handbrake, for example, has a simple slider bar. That's all there is to it. With sound, yes it can be high quality HD sound, or it can be Mono sound. It could also be in russian, or have all of them in there in different files at the same time so the user can simply choose which audio stream to listen to at playback. None of them are hard coded to the video since it's just a container for all the files. I've seen some MKV video files with dozens of different audio and subtitle choices all in one. And since VLC plays MKV it's universally played.
Lastly it is also streamable, so it can be played right from personal webpages.

While I will agree it's not used by models extensively it's actually one of the better methods out there for making videos for any purpose.

JerryBoBerry said:
IP-Police said:
[*]MKV - Matroska Video is an uncompressed and typically very large video file that is usually reserved for HD quality videos that contain high quality surround sound and provide the ability to insert subtitles. For the scope of videos produced by Webcam Models I don't think MKV really is a good fit.
MKV isn't a file format itself. It's just a container system. It can hold both video and audio files inside of it and they can be filmed in virtually any format. It's more akin to Winzip in that you can just toss multiple video and audio files in it and have one file hold them all. It's more compact than dvd or blu-ray for the same quality, so models that are wanting to film high quality HD it's a great choice. Also since it is completely open standard project there are many free software titles out there to use. One other nice aspect is that since all meta information is preserved in MKV and compressed media data (video, audio, subtitles) is not changed in any way it is always possible to transcode MKV files into original format. For example, MKV files produced from a Blu-ray disc may be transcoded back to a Blu-ray image or set of M2TS files without any losses by freeware transcoding tools. MKV 'CAN' be a very large file however it can be compressed to any file quality very easily with free software. Handbrake, for example, has a simple slider bar. That's all there is to it. With sound, yes it can be high quality HD sound, or it can be Mono sound. It could also be in russian, or have all of them in there in different files at the same time so the user can simply choose which audio stream to listen to at playback. None of them are hard coded to the video since it's just a container for all the files. I've seen some MKV video files with dozens of different audio and subtitle choices all in one. And since VLC plays MKV it's universally played.
Lastly it is also streamable, so it can be played right from personal webpages.

While I will agree it's not used by models extensively it's actually one of the better methods out there for making videos for any purpose.

You are correct that MKV is a video file container, however I've found that MKV files are typically 2-3 times larger in file size when compared to the same video that is encoded into a compressed MP4 file while playing exact the same level of quality. As far as MKV files go for streaming, yes technically they can be streamed, but this isn't practical for websites due to the enormous file size; but streaming over a 1000 Mbps wired local area network would certainly work (ironically what VLC originally was intended to do as its original name was VideoLAN Client).

I also agree that Handbrake is an excellent product as I believe it works on Windows, Mac, & Linux; and oh its open-source and free :) One thing though, be sure to pay very close attention when installing it because I remember last time I installed it the installer snuck some stupid 3rd party software that I had some fun with trying to remove after the fact.

Maybe the meeting ground for us to both fully agree with what we're saying here is that MKV is a great video file format to store your original videos when your doing the producing and editing of them? That way if you ever want to go back at a later date in time such as if you wanted to make a "best of" your videos, then it'd all be right there in an uncompressed format. Then when you want to distribute them you can do so as MP4 as it won't take nearly as long to upload and you won't have customers that are upset about having to spend all day downloading a video, as lots of people out there are stuck with crap for bandwidth.... Kinda curious if you would agree with this logic or not :)

IP-Police said:
But to help clear the fog with all the questions here's a few quick pointers
Sorry to disagree with the Police, but your pointers are all wrong.
What you listed are "video file containers" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... er_formats

In your list of attributes for each one, it appears you listed particular problems you encountered in your limited experience. What you are probably referring to are "codecs". The quality, size, playability, etc. of video files is more dependent on the codec, rather than the container. (Example: mp4 is a "container" AND a "codec"; and quicktime is a container which natively supports the version of the mp4 codec which became the standard mp4 codec (there are several mp4 codecs floating around today).

For actual good information, please visit http://www.videohelp.com/ They have very good info pages, and a very helpful forum with an active, supported community.

Now back to our originally scheduled program...to the OP: IMO, you were put on the right track with a video conversion program. There are many good, free apps out there. In addition to the ones listed, I suggest "avidemux" (there is a Mac version). I have opened and edited many "mov" files with this app, with different codecs used (mp4, h263, etc). It allows you to convert audio and video to a number of formats, and to change the codec, as well. It also has many other features that you may find helpful.

**Caveats** If the file is damaged (most likely the file structure got corrupted/damaged, but the video is OK), you may have to use a few different programs to get a playable file. Example: I opened an unplayable video file (mp4 container, mp4 codec) in avidemux. I converted it to avi container and a newer mp4 codec. It still wouldn't play. I opened the new file in "VirtualDub" (another good, free app) and it identified the "bad part" (the last 10 seconds of the video); I edited that out, saved it, and I was good to go.

Depending on how much time you have to play with this, you may be able to come to a good result. Good luck!

Reactions: JerryBoBerry
schlmoe said:
IP-Police said:
But to help clear the fog with all the questions here's a few quick pointers
Sorry to disagree with the Police, but your pointers are all wrong.
What you listed are "video file containers" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... er_formats

In your list of attributes for each one, it appears you listed particular problems you encountered in your limited experience. What you are probably referring to are "codecs". The quality, size, playability, etc. of video files is more dependent on the codec, rather than the container. (Example: mp4 is a "container" AND a "codec"; and quicktime is a container which natively supports the version of the mp4 codec which became the standard mp4 codec (there are several mp4 codecs floating around today).

For actual good information, please visit http://www.videohelp.com/ They have very good info pages, and a very helpful forum with an active, supported community.

Now back to our originally scheduled program...to the OP: IMO, you were put on the right track with a video conversion program. There are many good, free apps out there. In addition to the ones listed, I suggest "avidemux" (there is a Mac version). I have opened and edited many "mov" files with this app, with different codecs used (mp4, h263, etc). It allows you to convert audio and video to a number of formats, and to change the codec, as well. It also has many other features that you may find helpful.

**Caveats** If the file is damaged (most likely the file structure got corrupted/damaged, but the video is OK), you may have to use a few different programs to get a playable file. Example: I opened an unplayable video file (mp4 container, mp4 codec) in avidemux. I converted it to avi container and a newer mp4 codec. It still wouldn't play. I opened the new file in "VirtualDub" (another good, free app) and it identified the "bad part" (the last 10 seconds of the video); I edited that out, saved it, and I was good to go.

Depending on how much time you have to play with this, you may be able to come to a good result. Good luck!

I am very well aware of the difference between a video container file and codecs within them, I intentionally watered down the list and referred to them as "video file types" as to not over-complicate things. And for the record I do not have a limited experience with this topic, in fact all my video repairs is done from a terminal prompt (no GUI) using ffmpeg and mencoder. While I do agree that avidemux and virtualdub are both really great tools available for free, that you failed to take into consideration the process of demuxing/muxing the audio codec to the video codec which is nearly always necessary to do when converting videos plagued with corruption.

But really, the intention of my original post was simply to not dive too heavily into the process of codecs, rather provide the tip of using YouTube to quickly fix video issues as this solves these types of issues 99% of the time. So just to re-iterate my tip, here are the steps:
  1. Login to YouTube
  2. Upload your corrupted video to YouTube and be sure to set Privacy to Private.
  3. Allow for YouTube to encode your video to their various formats.
  4. Confirm the video's corruption issue was solved by YouTube by playing the video in your browser.
  5. Using any of the many free YouTube Downloaders download the video's highest resolution MP4 file available.
  6. Smile as you just resolved a video corruption issue without needing to learn about codecs, video file containers, demuxing/muxing, or any of the other techy topics discussed in this thread :)

IP-Police said:
you failed
Oh mighty one, I bow down to your greatness. How silly of me to challenge you, as we know the Police are never wrong. I would have never challenged you if I knew you had knowledge of the command line interface, because only the great ones know of and use the CLI...

Dude, give it a rest. Get down off your high horse, and join the rest of us...or not. Its pretty nice down here. Regardless, good luck to you and your business "venture". I wish better luck to your customers! :handgestures-salute:

...you guys realize this thread is like three months old now, right? The issue was resolved long ago, by a regular who fixed the video for me. I appreciate the advice from everyone though!

Status
Not open for further replies.