AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

How to stalk people on the internet

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For some members, I think it's just the fact that they've gotten a desired reaction (i.e. shock and angst) gives them some form of sadistic pleasure. Or, maybe they feel that getting that reaction would've 'outed' you as someone from a specific region of the country, because showing emotion is effectively affirming that they're right. :think:

Reactions: Pure_emotion
This is scary to think about. I always thought that where I am located keeps me safer, but now I really think about it and it doesn't. I have the exact place I live blocked and all surrounding islands. There are some crazy mo fo's where I live and people are constantly traveling to Asia, Hawaii, the states or where ever and all it takes is for them to get online and find me there. I also think that if they were that crazy then they would have already found me anyways because in my profession, I'm pretty well known around here, plus if you are a white female out here everyone knows either you're military, military spouse or a stripper, lol, seriously. It also scares me that I have people watching that are closer than being in the US and it would be easier to stalk me from, say, Japan or Australia than stalking a girl in the US, plus I have the crazy ones in the US that would do something like travel 14 hours to stalk me, and those are the ones that scare me the most, traveling that far to stalk someone then they got some serious issues.

AnitaTipp said:
plus I have the crazy ones in the US that would do something like travel 14 hours to stalk me, and those are the ones that scare me the most, traveling that far to stalk someone then they got some serious issues.

I am way too lazy to ever be a stalker. You can reject my ass by email or twitter, no way am I traveling 14 hours to get turned down.

I really don't have a reason to worry about stalkers I don't think. I've lived here for long enough and no one has stalked me, or maybe they have but its so easy to find someone out here that it didn't take much work, lol, but they didn't to intend harm and I honestly think no one that lives here would or they would have already. I also have a military boyfriend with training to fuck someone up that tried anything and about 10 island guys on speed dial that would get here immediately if I needed them, and these are some big boys, lol.

AnitaTipp said:
I really don't have a reason to worry about stalkers I don't think. I've lived here for long enough and no one has stalked me, or maybe they have but its so easy to find someone out here that it didn't take much work, lol, but they didn't to intend harm and I honestly think no one that lives here would or they would have already. I also have a military boyfriend with training to fuck someone up that tried anything and about 10 island guys on speed dial that would get here immediately if I needed them, and these are some big boys, lol.

Just trying to put this fact in context... are these 10 island guys sharing the same phone number, or do you actually have all 10 buttons on the phone assigned to big island guys? In either case, I want your life :-D

GingerOwnsChris said:
AnitaTipp said:

Just trying to put this fact in context... are these 10 island guys sharing the same phone number, or do you actually have all 10 buttons on the phone assigned to big island guys? In either case, I want your life :-D

Lol, they all get an individual number. I have them assigned 1-10 on size and skill level ;)

My :twocents-02cents:

You can invest a great deal of effort, time, and money into taking all possible precautions, but the sad and scary fact is that true stalker behavior (like following some, going to their home, physically watching them) is not much of a spectrum issue. I mean by this, if someone is going to take the time to physically watch someone and harass them, they will find a way to circumvent any obstacles that you have placed in their way.

This is a weird comparison, but take mass murder. Most successful mass murder takes a great deal of effort and planning to be carried out without being shot down immediately. It's usually premeditated, despite what a lot of people think. Stalkers function in the same way.. they plan, and plot, and exert a great deal of energy into finding and harassing their victim. I am not talking about someone who writes models countless emails, begging for their emails despite being told no. (Though this is problematic, too, for sure, and NOT okay.) I'm talking about the type who finds your address, flies 1000 miles to your town, and follows you everywhere you go.

I think I am hyper-aware of stalking behavior and scared of it because I was being stalked several years ago. (This wasn't anything related to working in the sex industry, this was a guy that I briefly dated.) He showed up at my apartment in a town in a different state them me, was threatening me, trying to blackmail me, the whole 9 yards. So I read a lot about this subject since it scared the bejessus out of me.

I guess my point is this: despite taking all necessary precautions, we models should NEVER assume we're completely safe and always be very aware of what is going on around us, and if a client/ member's behavior is making you feel very uncomfortable PLEASE make sure you follow your instinct and do whatever you feel needs to be done to make it stop.

I feel that when it comes to stalkers, having someone show up at your house is not an issue.

That is to say, crazy guys have and will show up at your doorstep. But your attention should not be focused on them.

You should be worried about information protection online.

Right now there are at least two active threads (that I can think of off the top of my head) in the Model's Only area of models asking for help after their information was spread publicly. These threads are not uncommon, we see new ones fairly consistently.

However, I have never heard any model share an instance where she was physically (not over the phone, but face to face) tracked down by a man on MFC who discovered her hidden information and went to her home or other location seeking her out. I have never even heard any stories or rumors of this happening, except for one time when I first joined ACF (supposedly, a man flew to Australia to meet a model without her being any the wiser).

Does someone knowing your real town put you in danger? I would say probably not. But it's a slippery slope.

The danger of stalking is not having someone waiting in your driveway, but having an Internet obsession with you where spreading information about you becomes a passtime. There are plenty of active forums and websites where harassing cam models is all good fun. And while I don't believe sharing something as innocent as your town will lead to physical harm, it is a very slippery slope.

The Internet has proved what it can do with a little information. Anonymous, 4chan, and other groups have displayed this with their treatment of a couple different people who posted videos of themselves torturing animals on the Internet (in one case, I believe, one guy's entire town was harassed).

The simple truth is, I highly doubt any of us will be fully protected if a group of very serious people decide that we are going to be outed.

Fortunately, it usually doesn't come to that.

All the information in this thread is good. I can't remember if I've contributed before but here are a few things I believe to be vitally important.

When people show signs of obsession, don't encourage them. Most importantly, if you decide to start ignoring someone, never give in and communicate with them. It's widely regarded that the best way to train animals is to reward them only every few times. If you give your dog a treat every time he rolls over, the first couple times you stop giving him a reward, he'll get bored and stop. If you give your dog a treat the first time, the third time, the fifth time, the ninth time... he'll keep rolling over as much as you want, because he knows if he keeps performing, eventually he'll be rewarded. For fuck's sake, my mother is a teacher and it's a popular "training" technique for elementary school students! If you make it clear to your stalker that if he keeps bugging you enough, you'll eventually give in, then he will never stop because he knows that you will give him what he wants eventually. Ban him from every facet of your online life immediately and never ever look back or respond to him.

Witty comebacks, being mean, or attacking people counts as positive attention. When someone is obsessed with you, all attention is good attention. Don't fool yourself that screaming at someone or making painfully sharp remarks to them is going to deter them. They love it.

Understand the psychology of what's going on. When I was in the junior high and high school, I was highly antisocial. In the summer months I would spend usually 12 to 14 hours a day on the Internet. Because I had no analogue relationships, my digital relationships became very important. Because I was emotionally immature (at least, more than I am now) I became very angry when people ignored me or were mean to me on the Internet, and I learned that I could force them to pay attention to me when I continually sent them messages, talked about them, or publicly attacked them (yes, I was a little bitch... what can I say? I was 12 and lonely). To these people, you can easily become their life. They thrive on your attention because it's all they have. They find it thrilling that a beautiful sex pot will pay attention to them whenever they want, while all those other members have to pay up for her affections. In other cases, they find it exciting that they can force a beautiful and popular woman to pay attention to them and feel pain (yup, I'd guarantee a big section of stalkers are guys who ignored pretty or average girls who loved them and obsessed over gorgeous women they "deserve" to have, and now they're punishing you because they finally found a way to get control). I'm not saying those are the only two possible situations, but you need to know that these guys feel entitled to you, and you can't stop it. All you can do is ignore them until they're forced to move on.

Delete your Facebook. I haven't used FB in months, and I haven't lost any important friends over it. If for some reason you would rather ruin your life than delete a social networking account, make your friends list private, remove all of your profile information, remove all photos of yourself, and change your name to something else (a nickname people know you by, whatever). You can still communicate with people you know.

Evvie said:
I feel that when it comes to stalkers, having someone show up at your house is not an issue.

However, I have never heard any model share an instance where she was physically (not over the phone, but face to face) tracked down by a man on MFC who discovered her hidden information and went to her home or other location seeking her out.

The danger of stalking is not having someone waiting in your driveway, but having an Internet obsession with you where spreading information about you becomes a passtime. There are plenty of active forums and websites where harassing cam models is all good fun. And while I don't believe sharing something as innocent as your town will lead to physical harm, it is a very slippery slope.

I most definitely agree that the chances of a guy showing up on someone's doorstep is minimal, but since it's happened to me before I am a little hyper-sensitive to those situations. I also feel like anyone who is obsessive enough to show up unwanted and harass a gal face-to-face is capable of more physical brutality as well.

But I agree that the risk of being attacked via the internet has a much higher likelihood and can do an equally brutal amount of damage. I sooo have a serious fear of being publicly outed via Facebook or something by a vindictive member, and having my grandmother, dad, and my therapist all receiving photos of me in a hogtie with a black dildo shoved up my crotch.

Remember my mentioning that ex of mine who was stalking? He got my password somehow and wrote emails to my family that were "from me" and pretended that I was admitting to robbing convenient stores, smoking crack, and contemplating throwing myself off the Williamsburg bridge. I actually was in locked up in the psych ward for 24 hours under supervision against my will until I was able to convince a doctor that I hadn't written anything about suicidal ideation and that an intruder on the internet had done so.

Evvie said:
When people show signs of obsession, don't encourage them. Most importantly, if you decide to start ignoring someone, never give in and communicate with them. It's widely regarded that the best way to train animals is to reward them only every few times. If you give your dog a treat every time he rolls over, the first couple times you stop giving him a reward, he'll get bored and stop. If you give your dog a treat the first time, the third time, the fifth time, the ninth time... he'll keep rolling over as much as you want, because he knows if he keeps performing, eventually he'll be rewarded. For fuck's sake, my mother is a teacher and it's a popular "training" technique for elementary school students! If you make it clear to your stalker that if he keeps bugging you enough, you'll eventually give in, then he will never stop because he knows that you will give him what he wants eventually. Ban him from every facet of your online life immediately and never ever look back or respond to him.

Delete your Facebook. I haven't used FB in months, and I haven't lost any important friends over it. If for some reason you would rather ruin your life than delete a social networking account, make your friends list private, remove all of your profile information, remove all photos of yourself, and change your name to something else (a nickname people know you by, whatever). You can still communicate with people you know.

I think that this part of what Evvie wrote is even more important than not giving out your real name and address. (Though those are important, too.) I even have on my model website in the MFC faq section that I will not meet members and to please realize that I am there for fun, but not an in-person boyfriend or husband. I do not say or do anything that might lead someone on in that sense. I see a lot of gals insinuate to their members that they might actually meet them and get to know them, but it looks like they are saying such things because they feel pressured and intimidated. Relentlessness can and does work after awhile on some people so it's good to make sure you set and stick to your boundaries.

The Facebook thing: well, you read about my debacle earlier in my post. And so you know, guys and gals, if you have a photo in your MFC profile that also happens to be on your Facebook, AIM, or ModelMayhem, all they have to do is do an image search and find you on those sites as well, and they'll instantly know your real name and the names of your relatives and closest friends. (Unless you have EVERYTHING locked from public view, which rarely people do.)

MadiSin_Moon said:
The Facebook thing: well, you read about my debacle earlier in my post. And so you know, guys and gals, if you have a photo in your MFC profile that also happens to be on your Facebook, AIM, or ModelMayhem, all they have to do is do an image search and find you on those sites as well, and they'll instantly know your real name and the names of your relatives and closest friends. (Unless you have EVERYTHING locked from public view, which rarely people do.)

I had facebook for awhile. Everything was set to private. Then, one day, they changed the privacy settings to allow for people to make things more private. That would've been great, except I suddenly had all my privacy setting set back to public everything. I deleted my facebook.

After reading through this thread I though I would try a little experiment. I chose one model at random and within 20 minutes I found:

1) Their city
2) Pictures of boyfriend (…Master)
3) Profile on "social" site
3) Actual address of event they were going to tonight. :eek:

Damn, it's too easy to for some people to figure this stuff out.

secret1n said:
After reading through this thread I though I would try a little experiment. I chose one model at random and within 20 minutes I found:

1) Their city

Did you tell that model that you were able to find all this information on them? I sure hope so because they're clearly giving a lot away.

secret1n said:
AllisonWilder said:
Did you tell that model that you were able to find all this information on them? I sure hope so because they're clearly giving a lot away.

No, but I will sent her a detailed ACF message tonight giving her the details of how I found the information.

Good. =)

I read through this whole thread a while back, but I just got a new phone that Ill be using to upload pictures to my twitter, tumblr etc...I disabled geotagging in the default camera application, but I have another camera app I'll be using also that doesnt have that setting. I read this somewhere -

1. In Windows Explorer, right-click the file name of a photo. A popup window appears.
2. Click "Properties." A small window appears.
3. Click the "Details" tab.
4. Scroll down. If the photo has been geotagged, the information appears under the "GPS" section.

I did exactly this on a bunch of different pictures from different sources and didnt see anything...I just want to make sure I'm not missing it. Whats the best, surefire way to tell that they arent being geotagged? I want to be able to take a couple pictures with that secondary app as a test to see if they are or not for SURE and then just not worry about it in the future, rather than having to upload them to the computer then use some kind of geotagging-disabling program before uploading them everywhere each time...what a pain in the ass.

So I guess what I'm trying to ask is, if I use the method above, and dont see any GPS section in the Details tab, is it safe to assume that they are absolutely for sure not being geotagged?

Sorry if this has already been addressed...

SadieN said:
I read through this whole thread a while back, but I just got a new phone that Ill be using to upload pictures to my twitter, tumblr etc...I disabled geotagging in the default camera application, but I have another camera app I'll be using also that doesnt have that setting. I read this somewhere -

1. In Windows Explorer, right-click the file name of a photo. A popup window appears.
2. Click "Properties." A small window appears.
3. Click the "Details" tab.
4. Scroll down. If the photo has been geotagged, the information appears under the "GPS" section.

I did exactly this on a bunch of different pictures from different sources and didnt see anything...I just want to make sure I'm not missing it. Whats the best, surefire way to tell that they arent being geotagged? I want to be able to take a couple pictures with that secondary app as a test to see if they are or not for SURE and then just not worry about it in the future, rather than having to upload them to the computer then use some kind of geotagging-disabling program before uploading them everywhere each time...what a pain in the ass.

So I guess what I'm trying to ask is, if I use the method above, and dont see any GPS section in the Details tab, is it safe to assume that they are absolutely for sure not being geotagged?

Sorry if this has already been addressed...

If there is nothing in the properties it is safe, as far as I know.

I won a bottle opener in a model's room recently. The envelope it arrived in had a return address (the model's home address?) and the model's real name (she had to sign the declaration on it). I put the envelope through my shredder btw.

Something to think about if you have a contest and send a member a phyiscal object.

Cheeser said:
I won a bottle opener in a model's room recently. The envelope it arrived in had a return address (the model's home address?) and the model's real name (she had to sign the declaration on it). I put the envelope through my shredder btw.

Something to think about if you have a contest and send a member a phyiscal object.

NEVER assume!

I have a pen name I use instead of my real name, and it usually works. Some girls have an alternate address, like UPS will let you rent a box that gives a real address instead of a PO Box.

Reactions: 1 person
I would just like to add something, duno if this has been said or not, but im not going to read everything in this thread.

But DO NOT USE SKYPE, If you give out your skype you might as well give out your address, There is a way for clever users to get your ip from your skype name, then if you have good connections you can get the persons Name/Address/Phone Number/Email, Skype denies there is a way for users to get your ip through them, but its true, i have done it multiple times and its very easy to do.

Dogpatch1992 said:
I would just like to add something, duno if this has been said or not, but im not going to read everything in this thread.

But DO NOT USE SKYPE, If you give out your skype you might as well give out your address, There is a way for clever users to get your ip from your skype name, then if you have good connections you can get the persons Name/Address/Phone Number/Email, Skype denies there is a way for users to get your ip through them, but its true, i have done it multiple times and its very easy to do.

According to Guild Wars 2, my IP puts me in Sandusky Ohio... which is rather odd considering how many other places I could be from between where I actually am and Sandusky Ohio (I google-mapped it, wondering where my internet is coming from).

A new one I noticed tonight.
I was watching a model, and happened to notice pretty clouds - she was outside. (do any models have houses large enough for indoor clouds?)
If I already knew the rough location, and could find local webcams, and was _really_ obsessed, I could find which webcam(s) the broadcast was closest to.
This could narrow it from 50 miles to 5, or less.

LadyLuna said:
Dogpatch1992 said:

According to Guild Wars 2, my IP puts me in Sandusky Ohio... which is rather odd considering how many other places I could be from between where I actually am and Sandusky Ohio (I google-mapped it, wondering where my internet is coming from).

I'm not trying to stroke the flames of paranoia, but I'll try to offer a bit of technical clarification.

The "public" IP address to which a model's connection resolves is one of her ISP's public gateways. They dynamically route her traffic to the public internet when she is using the web. The public gateway is controlled by an actual piece of network hardware at a physical location, such as a network hub in Sandusky, Ohio. This is the physical location reported by a network lookup, speed test, etc. The ISP keeps logs of what public IP address was used by which subscriber at any given time.

For example, the ISP knows that customer account number 11111 (such as the model's home - located as a specific street address) with cable modem ID 22222 sent network traffic to a certain IP address (such as http://www.google.com) at 14:47:23.0189 Pacific. The ISP's network routed that network request through the ISP's public gateway with an originating public IP address 127.0.0.1.

There is more to it (specific ports and whatnot), but that is the basic idea.

A "legitimate" person can contact the ISP and request the log details of that attempted network connection (e.g. IP address 127.0.0.1 connected to http://www.google.com at 14:47:23.0189 Pacific).

ISPs give up this information to law enforcement and pretty much anyone who requests it for a "legitimate" reasons with almost no fuss (law enforcement, copyright lawyers, anyone who can sue them, etc.)

It is *highly* unlikely that Joe Blow common internet troll can get the ISP to give up the log information of a random IP connection. But, if Joe Blow works for the ISP, or has a buddy in law enforcement who is willing to do him a favor, or is able to engage in a little social engineering of an underpaid lackey at the ISP, it is (remotely) possible.

In my mind, one of the biggest security benefits MFC gives is that the model's PC and the viewer's PC never talk directly. The model's PC talks to the MFC server, and the viewer's PC talks to the MFC server. The viewer can never get the model's IP address.

Any type of direct connection between the model's PC and the viewer's PC, such as Skype or other direct communication software, has the (although small) potential for the above abuse.

The above issue is the central point about the various news stories you may have seen over the years where organizations like the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) or the ACLU file lawsuits and campaign to try to stop ISPs from being so ready to give out subscriber information. Alternatively, businesses (particularly the RIAA and other copyright groups) as well as law enforcement continually campaign for (and currently have) the authority to request such information *without a warrant*.

IANAL (I Am Not A Lawyer), but my understanding of the current legal landscape is that ISPs *can* give the subscriber information to anyone they want, and they generally *do* give it to anyone who seems to have a reasonable request. The ISPs will always comply with a warrant, but most will give it to anyone who files any one of several "notices" with them--DMCA takedown/investigation request, subpoena, legal discovery, etc. Sometimes this is as basic as a "request" on official letterhead that is faxed to the ISP's compliance department.

As I mentioned above, I'm not trying to stoke the flames of paranoia. The vast majority of trolls would never be able to follow up on any threats to "look up your IP and track you down". A very small percentage, those with the proper industry or law enforcement contacts or the necessary social skills, could potentially do so.

:twocents-02cents:

AllisonWilder said:
secret1n said:

1) Their city

Telling the model can be very tricky as shown by two recent incidents in which I was involved:

Incident 1.
New model, who thought herself to very internet savvy created her MFC account using the same username she had used to create personal email and personal twitter accounts IRL. She then changed her MFC account name to a different one, from which she has blogged with IRL. I didn't realize this until I was looking at her HTML source code on her profile to code my own profile similarly, which showed she had linked graphic images (AMZN & TWITTER graphics) from her personal open photobucket account. What has been seen cannot be unseen.

In a PM I stated she had a security issue and people could find her real name, family members, and boyfriends. She challenged me in PM to give her her IRL name. I did. She freaked and told me her uncle who lives 70 miles from me has guns, etc., and he'd "get me". She is actually located 3k miles from me but had mentioned in public chat that she was originally came from the area where I live. To reassure her I had no bad intent, I decided to give her my IRL name and phone number, to even things up. (I also keep a 9mm and a .357 magnum handguns near my house's door).

Since then the relationship between us has been tenuous, hot and cold. I suggested that she ban me because she felt she couldn't trust me, but she didn't want to initially. Something of a friendship had developed. But after a couple of weeks of both of us exhibiting hot/cold behavior, we agreed that banning me sadly would be best, for a time at least, and that's the current status. It still smarts to know I was only trying to help by telling her, but me telling her seems to have ended our friendship maybe. At least she corrected her profile and tried to clean up from some of the internet trails to her IRL identity. So, sadly, I click next model and move on...

Incident 2.
I sometimes use Lounge1000 to quickly view models to see whose room I'd like to visit. Recently while in Lounge1000, I saw an street address near me scroll by in the chat window. Took a closer look at the discussion and realized two trolls were trying to track down a model's IRL work location, from where she sometimes cams on MFC. One said he was going to her city and he wanted to freak her out IRL. The trolls knew the city she was is and what her IRL job was and they started doing pic comparisons of likely businesses with screencaps of her. Over 200 premiums were in Lounge1000 to see this discussion of the model.

First I copied the chat details and then sent MFCMail to the model with the chat text and my concerns for her safety. I also copied in MFCAdmin and the model in Incident #1 above (trying to still prove to her that I am a good guy who wears a white hat). The local model replied that luckily the trolls were wrong about her work address and she was very grateful for my concern. She even friended me, though my state which is her state was blocked, and invited me to her room. When I did visit, she started gushing about me as a white knight to her room,and we've become friends. However, the response of the model in Incident #1, then put me on ignore so I could not MFCMail her. As for MFCAdmins? Nary a peep from them!

So members telling models about internet security and personal safety issues can have mixed results, even if you think you explained the issues in a sensitive way. Everyone is a unique person and may not respond predictably. Sometimes I wish I had a model friend who I could tell about such things and then she could tell the model involved. I believe model-to-model communication would not have the potential to feeling threatened. Just my :twocents-02cents: .

Dogpatch1992 said:

And here I was doing a raffle for a Skype show (that would've been a first). Guess that one's cancelled now!!
Thanks for letting us know.

LilyMarie said:
And here I was doing a raffle for a Skype show (that would've been a first). Guess that one's cancelled now!!

Skype shows are so popular among MFC models and members that I don't think anyone would fault you or me for offering them as raffle prizes. You could be doing a Christmas raffle for a box of cookies, pic set, and a gift card, but when you throw it out there that the winner also gets a Skype show, I think their eyes light up...lol. LIVE one-on-one chat with some naughty fun...who wouldn't love that? :)

The_Brown_Fox said:
LilyMarie said:

Skype shows are so popular among MFC models and members that I don't think anyone would fault you or me for offering them as raffle prizes. You could be doing a Christmas raffle for a box of cookies, pic set, and a gift card, but when you throw it out there that the winner also gets a Skype show, I think their eyes light up...lol. LIVE one-on-one chat with some naughty fun...who wouldn't love that? :)
Exactly, and now I had to cancel my raffle. I didn't know doing shows on Skype was so dangerous.

When you're in public chat telling your viewers that you're going to ______ (insert the name of a place), and someone asks "Which one are you going to?," don't actually tell them which one you're going to. It's nobody's business exactly which New York strip club you'll be at tonight.

Just saying "I'm going out for some drinks later" should suffice. If you really wanna tell everyone the name of the place, and it's not a place where you work or frequently visit, at least wait 'til you're back home later and say "I went to ______ in Queens."

The skype thing is news to me, I've been independently camming with Skype for years now. Countless skype shows with all kinds of random people and pervies. Eh, oh well. I'm not really worried about it. Skype is so common and I'm so unpopular that I doubt I'm going to happen to stumble across someone who is actually out to hurt me with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.