AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Lagging cam on Streamate. Laptop specs?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 17, 2014
Hey there,

I'm camming on Streamate! Very excited. Though, there is one more snag to overcome: my cam is lagging like crazy.

I had a friend log in a watch my room, and she said I'm at, like, 2 or 3 frames per second, which is also how it looks in my screen. I've only had two paying customers so far (both on my first night). One put up with the lagging but made constant reference to it. The other person got upset and left after trying to reload the room a few times. My second night, I just had a steady current of people popping into the room and popping out right back out. So, unless I'm considerably uglier than my profile pic ;) , my stream must look terrible.

On top of that, I keep seeing the 3...2...1...CAM countdown every 30 seconds or so. And the CAM icon doesn't stay lit for more than a few seconds. Does that mean I'm not visible to people?

What's going wrong?

CONNECTION:
My internet connection is fantastic. ~10 mbps upload speed on speedtest.net.
I tried both direct connect and wifi. No difference in the lag.
I cammed at 128k (second lowest setting) using the regular (i.e., not external HD) encoder.
I have tried both Chrome and Firefox. Chrome was marginally less terrible, but they're both very bad.
My version of Flash is the most recent.

HARDWARE: (I think the problem lies here)
I've got a Logitech 9000 cam, like everyone recommends (and love it)
**My laptop, however, is 10 years old.**
Its processor is an Intel Duo Core T5700 CPU (1.73 gHz) that is COMPLETELY maxed out whenever I'm camming. In the task manager performance window, it pins at 100% the whole time.
2GB of RAM. Windows XP.

Can a maxed out CPU make my feed look unwatchably terrible? And cause my connection to continually drop? (Assuming that is happening when the CAM icon disappears) Is a hardware upgrade the only way around this problem? That would mean a whole new laptop, as my motherboard doesn't give me much headroom as far upgrading my processor.

I will have to get a secondhand laptop, so a specific recommendation about a particular processor, brand, etc. wouldn't help me much. I'm going to take the best that I can find out there for a reasonable price. What are some good rules of thumb to have in hand when I go into the used laptop market in order to get one that is good enough for Streamate camming?

Thanks in advance, lovelies,
:h:

The 321 Cam thing is a countdown to when it takes a photo of you for the main page! Nothing to do with your cam quality.

I don't know much about tech stuff but I know that part :p

Yes, a maxed out cpu can really mess with your stream. When mine goes above 45%, I have a lot of cam degradation issues.

Are you using the encoder? If so, try lower settings as that's less stressful on your computer.
Can you try manually ending tasks to lower your cpu?

As far as people popping in and out immediately, you'll experience that even when your stream is perfect, that's just how it is on SM. :)

amoreperfectunion said:
Its processor is an Intel Duo Core T5700 CPU (1.73 gHz) that is COMPLETELY maxed out whenever I'm camming. In the task manager performance window, it pins at 100% the whole time.
2GB of RAM. Windows XP.

Yep, that's the problem - these days I would consider that CPU and amount of memory to be borderline useable even for just normal browsing (as Chrome is a horrible resource hog).

I'd suggest trying to find the newest used laptop you can with as much RAM as possible and ideally an i3/i5/i7 processor (quad core preferably). But as a reference, my work laptop is a macbook pro from 2010 (with RAM upgraded to the maximum) and it is good enough for google hangouts in HD (except for the loud fan, but it gets the job done)

Many Streamate support people will say you need an i7 processor. Doesn't really need to be that fast, but their site is very resource-consuming. Minimum probably least a 3-core processor and 4GB of RAM. Windows 7 or 8 will help too.

Besides Ebay & Craigslist, for cheaper refurbished computers you can check out http://outlet.lenovo.com and http://www.cowboom.com/

My peronal advice is, if at all possible, to not skimp on a new laptop. I get the appeal of buying a cheap one, but personally I'd rather pay a bit more and get one that'll last me longer. I don't want to be in a position where I'll look back and think "if only I had spent a couple hundred more" :twocents-02cents:

weirdbr said:
amoreperfectunion said:
2GB of RAM. Windows XP.

Yep, that's the problem - these days I would consider that CPU and amount of memory to be borderline useable even for just normal browsing (as Chrome is a horrible resource hog).

I'd suggest trying to find the newest used laptop you can with as much RAM as possible and ideally an i3/i5/i7 processor (quad core preferably). But as a reference, my work laptop is a macbook pro from 2010 (with RAM upgraded to the maximum) and it is good enough for google hangouts in HD (except for the loud fan, but it gets the job done)

Yes, that old of a laptop will have problems even watching YouTube at this point. My old laptop barely watches YouTube (lots of loading and stuttering) and is near the same specs.

We're getting to the point where a i5/i7 and 4GB of RAM is almost a necessity to keep one from going insane even web browsing. Luckily, the price of laptops has dropped considerably since 10 years ago.

Reactions: amoreperfectunion
I agree with what others have said, you need an i5 or i7 processor. I think SM recommends 6GB of RAM though. I'm sure the lower amounts that others have said might be ok, but I would check SM for sure. They have a list of hardware requirements. I have an account there, but don't cam there currently. Sites like MFC and Chaturbate use alot less resources and you may be able to cam from one of those sites with your current laptop.

Reactions: amoreperfectunion
Thanks for all your helpful replies.

A friend of mine who works in video editing lent me one of her "old" computers for a while. It has:
i3 processor
6GB RAM
Some crazy great video card
Windows 7

And everything's been fine. I've been camming in 256kb quality without problem, getting happy visitors and everything. I'm even thinking of stepping it up a notch or two.

amoreperfectunion said:
Thanks for all your helpful replies.

A friend of mine who works in video editing lent me one of her "old" computers for a while. It has:
i3 processor
6GB RAM
Some crazy great video card
Windows 7

And everything's been fine. I've been camming in 256kb quality without problem, getting happy visitors and everything. I'm even thinking of stepping it up a notch or two.
Forgot to mention this, but having a great video card in your laptop would help a lot in this case because otherwise it'll just take memory needed for video rendering out of the RAM your system needs to run. However, dedicated video cards are usually somewhat expensive, so they're often omitted to lower the price by a couple hundred.

If you were to buy a new one down the line, I'd advise to look for one with a dedicated video card.

Status
Not open for further replies.