AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Lighting - tips, tricks, links, etc.

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Not exactly the lighting itself, but being able to get external software run through CB dramatically changed how I look when I cam and really increased my confidence. It's OBS software! You probably have seen the setting under "Start Broadcasting". It can be a bit confusing to set-up at first. And your region needs to be pre-approved by CB. OBS smooths the frame rate of my video to avoid jumpiness if my internet slows and there are many video exposure adjustments. My iMac camera tends to be way too dark to I make it a lot brighter; it gives me younger and softer skin IMO. You can also change the colour temperature, I like to get rid of the green tones and make the yellow tones more orange.

Also which one will last the longest in terms of light bulbs, a ring light or umbrella lights? I don't want to purchase something that where the bulbs will burn out fast because it's not mean for long term use. Not sure if ring lings are meant for 4-6 hours of use on a daily basis....

Do you guys think a ring light or umbrella lights like the Limo set is the way to go?
I am more drawn to ring lights because of limited space issues; is this ok for camming or more for youtube beauty etc?

Do you guys think a ring light or umbrella lights like the Limo set is the way to go?
I am more drawn to ring lights because of limited space issues; is this ok for camming or more for youtube beauty etc?
I have both, so I'd suggest starting with the ring light. Granted if you can get both that's ideal because there are a number of situations where you would want all of the lights, but if you can only start with one opt for the ring light for sure. You'll have more flexibility and filming opportunities that the ring light will work best for and it will certainly boost your quality to make it easier to purchase the second lighting kit later on.

Also which one will last the longest in terms of light bulbs, a ring light or umbrella lights? I don't want to purchase something that where the bulbs will burn out fast because it's not mean for long term use. Not sure if ring lings are meant for 4-6 hours of use on a daily basis....
It depends on what kind of bulb you get in the ring light. Some come with fluorescent tubes and some are LED, the LED will last the longest and are less likely to break. In umbrella lights you tend to use CFLs which don't last quite as long as LEDs but I have gotten through over a year using the same bulbs. Honestly, I don't know if I've had a CFL burn out on me before I've broken it :haha:

Ring lights are great for taking pictures and filming videos, but not so much camming because they won't fill your whole room and you should be at least 2-3ft away from a ring light. Normally you use a ring light in addition to other lighting for videos. Umbrellas are better but I personally don't like them for continuous lighting, umbrellas are really made for powerful photography flashes. I'd suggest softboxes for camming, they provide nice even light and fill more of the room.

If you could get 2 softboxes, a ring light, and a standard lamp or 2 you'd have a great set up. But I'd prioritize the softboxes if you will be primarily camming.

I ended up getting these https://www.amazon.com/LimoStudio-Photography-Lighting-Equipment-AGG814/dp/B00E4YS2XU/ as from my research softboxes are more ideal for filming than umbrella ones. They are good and I like them; almost a bit too bright. Only thing is they are quite big and I barely have room to use them in my studio apartment but I can make it work. I noticed some of the top models in the top 20 actually have very poor lighting or none at all. I wonder if this is done strategically or because they are so popular they just don't care...

Reactions: LolaLuv
Are there any ring lights that don't have to be on their own light stand? I use a camcorder on a normal tripod, I would love a ring light that somehow attaches around that.

Any ideas?

Are there any ring lights that don't have to be on their own light stand? I use a camcorder on a normal tripod, I would love a ring light that somehow attaches around that.

Any ideas?
No idea on how well it works. But, I found this:

DSLR Ring light

Another (Euro page):
https://www.cameragrip.com/hama-60182-led-macro-ring-light/

Actually, looks like there's a lot of possible options:
Google search for "ring light for camera"

Just ran across this, it's a USB powered ring light:
http://www.dx.com/p/ultra-bright-usb-flexible-white-18-led-light-lamp-5v-53782#.WmlOm3WnGXI

No idea on how well it works. But, I found this:

DSLR Ring light

Another (Euro page):
https://www.cameragrip.com/hama-60182-led-macro-ring-light/

Actually, looks like there's a lot of possible options:
Google search for "ring light for camera"

Just ran across this, it's a USB powered ring light:
http://www.dx.com/p/ultra-bright-usb-flexible-white-18-led-light-lamp-5v-53782#.WmlOm3WnGXI
Thank you for taking the time :).

I've done some searching already, and just as above, ring lights are either tiny and made for a smart phone, or the large ones mount on a light pole. Ultimately I wanted a more freeform one that I could clamp onto my already tripod-mounted camcorder. If I really want a ring light, I'd have to rig up one of the regular ones, or maybe DIY my own with led light rope and a plastic tube. There have been tutorials posted about them in Models Only before.

(Note how it has no stand and is simply a circle of lights, could just hang it around the camcorder somehow.)

Screen Shot 2018-01-25 at 7.49.02 AM.png

Reactions: KaylenPeach
Thank you for taking the time :).

I've done some searching already, and just as above, ring lights are either tiny and made for a smart phone, or the large ones mount on a light pole. Ultimately I wanted a more freeform one that I could clamp onto my already tripod-mounted camcorder. If I really want a ring light, I'd have to rig up one of the regular ones, or maybe DIY my own with led light rope and a plastic tube. There have been tutorials posted about them in Models Only before.

(Note how it has no stand and is simply a circle of lights, could just hang it around the camcorder somehow.)

View attachment 74336
Personally I opted for a ring light that has a hotshoe in the middle of it so I can attach my camera to it. I preferred the camera-tripod set up and often opt to just use both on their own stands, but when I do put them together I go tripod-ring light-then camera mounted inside. This is the equipment I use:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018G039IU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003PBB4ME/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My ring light also came with a hotshoe attachment so it can be mounted onto my camera, but it feels way way way less stable which is why I almost never use it.

Personally I opted for a ring light that has a hotshoe in the middle of it so I can attach my camera to it. I preferred the camera-tripod set up and often opt to just use both on their own stands, but when I do put them together I go tripod-ring light-then camera mounted inside. This is the equipment I use:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018G039IU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003PBB4ME/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My ring light also came with a hotshoe attachment so it can be mounted onto my camera, but it feels way way way less stable which is why I almost never use it.
That's actually the right light I almost purchased yesterday.

I'm not into the hotshoe thing though. I am very very picky about my tripod situation, I want all the adjustability I can get lol. Also, I'm using a 4k camcorder, not a dslr, makes things a bit different I think because every single example/image I find it's of people using dslrs.

Reactions: Rose

Any ideas?
I have one! It’s fully adjustable led with both white and warm, and can run on Sony batteries. DBFFF75C-9029-44D0-8894-A6AFF1C5707F.jpeg
Edit to add. That’s my tripod mount thingy on the bottom. I just leave it attached to click on and off and on the top is my phone holder, but you could attach a camcorder there

Reactions: Rose and AmberCutie
I have one! It’s fully adjustable led with both white and warm, and can run on Sony batteries. View attachment 74337
Sweet! Wondering how to attach the camcorder to that bar in the middle. Does it have other doodads to attach something other than a phone in the middle?

Sweet! Wondering how to attach the camcorder to that bar in the middle. Does it have other doodads to attach something other than a phone in the middle?
Oh that’s just my personal doo dad I attached, which attaches just like a tripod top. It’s just a screw doo hickey you can attach anything that can attach to a tri pod to.image.jpg

• Helpful!
Reactions: AmberCutie
  • Helpful!
Reactions: Anatomica Doll
  • Helpful!
Reactions: AmberCutie
Could professional lighting be turning members off? I got a softbox from Limostudio that I paid $60 for and I just use one but the lighting is almost perfect/very bright.... Whereas I noticed many of the top/popular models actually use darker lighting as in colored lights like purple etc....

My camscore is getting worse and worse; could my pro lighting be turning members off as some may prefer dark/lower quality lighting?

Could professional lighting be turning members off? I got a softbox from Limostudio that I paid $60 for and I just use one but the lighting is almost perfect/very bright.... Whereas I noticed many of the top/popular models actually use darker lighting as in colored lights like purple etc....

My camscore is getting worse and worse; could my pro lighting be turning members off as some may prefer dark/lower quality lighting?

You can install the logitech control app for your camera and make adjustments to your lighting there via your cam if you find it's too bright and sterile looking.

Pro lighting will never hurt you but you may need to make adjustments.

I'm not a fan of a lot of the bright lighting I'm seeing. I feel the model should separate from the background, not blend in with it. Also, a lot of the bright lighting makes the models look like cardboard cutouts. Shadows are how we perceive roundness and depth in two dimensions, so if you eliminate shadows then you have no apparent depth.

There are a few models that look fantastic with nothing more than one soft key light.

I also like how a couple are lighting the backgrounds with weird blue light since that makes their skin tones pop out.

You can install the logitech control app for your camera and make adjustments to your lighting there via your cam if you find it's too bright and sterile looking.

Pro lighting will never hurt you but you may need to make adjustments.

Pretty much this. If I don't have my lights on (two floor lamps with paper shades and one 5 point floor light) it looks too dark in my room or I'll have dark spots when moving the camera over myself. But with all of them on Im washed out. I usually adjust white balance and gain to give it a softer and more comfy look.

Mind you I don't have anything behind me to contrast against yet. I hate my boring corner without backdrops and twinkling lights. I think the best looking rooms tend to have small lighting and decorations in the back that helps keep your room from looking sterile too.

I usually adjust white balance and gain to give it a softer and more comfy look.
White balance, exposure, gain and focus should all be adjusted at the beginning of a cam session. Leaving stuff on auto can lead to some funky glares, coloring (and annoying autofocus is self explanatory), so uncheck auto and adjust to what looks nice. Set it and go!

I have 2 soft boxes, always manually adjust the white balance, and contrast (reducing it can effectively soften the look). I'm slowly getting there. It's also great to diffuse the soft boxes even more sometimes - so point at the ceiling etc :D

I love camming by my window - but without the softboxes very close this can be a little difficult.

Just for simplicity sake, reposting my detailed info here :).

------

The following post is copied from a previous thread in the Models Only section (which you should get model status so you can access that area!)

Basically 4 of these, http://www.target.com/p/room-essentials ... A-12242155 2 in black, two in white one in/near each corner of my room, plus a fluorescent light behind my TV/pc monitors, and a 2 bulb lamp on the floor near the legs of my cam tripod.

Here's some pics:

In front of me: 2 tall floor lamps, 1 desk lamp (on floor) and the florescent behind the TVs
xrIymOpl.jpg

Behind
fZtLJ2rl.jpg

Then the other floor lamp is to my right and slightly behind me.

I only use soft white bulbs, as the daylight ones make me look way too pale and wash out all the colors on cam. I use a Logitech 9000 still, because the c910/920/930e all have the same effect of the daylight bulbs: washed out and pale, colorless.

I've used the pro lighting setup with umbrellas for a video and a couple photo sets. I find them too bright and "daylight" and much prefer my own lamps.

Edit to add: here's what my cam feed looks like with the current lighting setup:

VdIfpP5.jpg

e3f1x8E.jpg

--------

In my new cam room, I have much ligher neutral colored walls, so I've done away with the fluorescent light behind the TVs as the walls reflect a bit more light. I also don't have to turn on every single bulb in each lamp.

I personally find the professional light kits annoying and have only used them for a couple of my videos and not in my daily cam space.

Okay, I love this! But what about carpeted rooms that don’t have air conditioning??? Doesn’t it get like hot? I currently only have one lamp lmao, and even with a fan on, the room starts to work up a sweat mid-stream and it makes me so uncomfertable! I’m talking under-boob sweat for hours. The weather’s tough where I am.

Okay, I love this! But what about carpeted rooms that don’t have air conditioning??? Doesn’t it get like hot? I currently only have one lamp lmao, and even with a fan on, the room starts to work up a sweat mid-stream and it makes me so uncomfertable! I’m talking under-boob sweat for hours. The weather’s tough where I am.
Using LED bulbs helps a lot with reducing the heat.

I have 2 studio lights for my lighting. I got them on Amazon for about $60. I really like them, they come with a carrying case, so you have to set them up and take them down each time. I like the lights in Amber's pic.