AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

"Luck" and its role in being a successful cam girl

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to analyze how success happened for me on streamate:

I started in october of 2013. And I got lucky that my first private lasted and hour and a half. People were coming in and out as well, but my first private was by some well known dude in the comic industry who wanted to see me squirt milk out of my tits while i masturbated. Then talked to me for a while because we both shared a love for a mutual city we used to live in.
This doesnt mean I didn't work hard... after that hour and a half i was shaking and ate like 3 meals, it was exhausting. Being a former MFC girl who would do a 20ish minute cumshow a day, if that... jumping into an hour and a half fucking session was pretty hard work.

I was PUMPED because my first day went so well, so I started camming every day from streamate, and got surprised by the consistency. My first check from there was more than I would have made in a half a month on MFC.

I became successful because of my luck. Well I had the opportunity to climb ranks because of luck. If I thought that one guy was my only stroke of luck, I would have been disappointed and felt like shit because he never came back again lol I had little strokes of luck throughout my first week or so and because of the luck I was even more motivated to put in more hours and work harder. If I hadn't gotten lucky that people enjoyed me shows, then I would probably still be camming from mfc right now. But since the luck got me excited, i'm now a top 50 model on sm.

I think one thing some people have with the word luck, is that it implies no work was put in to achieve the goal, even if that isn't the implied use of the word.

• "I got so lucky today!!! I found a 10$ bill on the ground and bought some taco bell!! HEYYYY"
  • "I got so lucky I somehow passed that exam without studying!!!"
  • "How lucky is it that I won the lottery!!!!!!!"
  • "He's so lucky! He got hit buy a car on campus and gets free tuition for life!! And only walked away with a broken pinkie!"
In these examples, people get lucky and get money or reward without much effort. To someone who works 40+ hours a week, it could seem offensive if you say they are so lucky that those big tippers found them. Yea it was luck that the tippers found them, but they also are providing a lot of entertainment that those tippers enjoy. It doesn't make their work less valuble because they were lucky to get a tipper.

I guess what I'm trying to get to, to bring this all together, luck is what brings a tipper into your room. Whether they saw a tweet, you in the top row, highest number of viewers in your room, etc. Luck gets them in there, but hard work and an entertaining show is what gets them to tip.

Yea, I get super lucky sometimes. Like last night after making literally nothing for 3 hours, someone took me for a 45 minute exclusive AND bought all my videos. But hey, I provided entertainment he wanted to see for 45 minutes, he enjoyed it a lot and bought the videos.If i wasn't what he expected, he would have left and carried his stroke of camgirl luck elsewhere.

Luck =/= success, but luck enables success :D

oh and those random tippers who just tip and leave totally screw my logic up... but I think we've all had one or two of those in our time. I like to think of them as magical fairies who like to spread joy, and on my paranoid days i think it's streamate mods trying to keep us motivated haha Especially when the member never says a word.

Actually what you describe is both hard work *and* luck: the luck part is the fact that circumstances aligned themselves in such a way that the tipper decided to go to MFC (or other site) instead of going to watch a movie at that day/time, then opted to go to your room instead of another model's and then got interested enough in you to tip.

It's been a long while since I studied the required maths to do a proper proof/explanation of my thoughts, but the basic idea is that if we assume that there's a constant chance per minute of a tipper appearing and tipping a lot (for example, 0.0001% ), staying longer increases your odds but still not by much (IIRC it's defined as probability per minute times the number of minutes you are online. So staying online one hour means 0.006% chance of success while two hours means 0.012%, which is higher but still not that great.. Even ten hours means 0.06% chance...).

(and yes, I know I probably got the math wrong - I failed statistics twice when I studied it more than 10 years ago :p )

To be fair, my original posting to this thread does say exactly that. But the luck cannot be enabled unless the person is working hard, and in that circumstance (the gal I replied to) it was her hard work of staying committed. That luck wouldn't have occurred without her hard work, so to me the investment pays off more than the concept of luck.

I think Amber's point in all this is that it is horribly offensive to imply that luck has no part in it.. particularly when you look at someone who is already clocking mad crazy hours and tell them they just need to work harder. It doesn't always work that way

I am a huge LOA advocate. When a person believes they are lucky, they attract more luck. If they believe they are unlucky, well, that self-fulfilling prophecy comes true most of the time. I am an extremely lucky person and have been my entire life. I truly follow my gut instinct and it always leads to the best scenario for me...is it luck? Or am I just very intuitive? I"ve been camming just over a year and this month I've been averaging $400-$500 a day in less than 4 hours on MFC/CB. I try NOT to work hard because I believe if something is really hard then it isn't the right path for you. I am all about the path of least resistance. However, that doesn't mean I sleep all day. I get inspired to do stuff and when I get that inspiration, I go all in and take it to the next level. All my shows are inspired never forced. I don't set goals however, I do somewhat plan what I will do. If I don't feel well, I don't cam. Sometimes, for whatever reason, I have an urge to talk about some random subject and then, "bam", I get a large tip.

I still do all the productive things a good enterprising camgirl does eg. professional profile, website, social media blitzing, affiliate marketing, great equipment, sales skills etc. but, the difference is, I never had to force myself to do any of it, the timing, design etc., is all inspired.

Camming is the only profession where I can truly work this way.

Last edited:
It's been a hot topic lately among some groups, so I figured we could have a discussion about it (in a mature, non name-calling, non-poo-flinging way!) ...

So now that I've shared my thoughts on it, as well as some previous posts/current tweets about it, share your thoughts! Let's have a meaningful chat.
“Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.”

The deeper question is what is a successful cam girl!

I guess I might go over somethings, that have already been covered. But now I am pondering, was it luck, strategy, or hard work that got me where I am, and will help me get where I want to be. I am by no means a high up there model, nor I have ever made it to the top 500. But I do consider myself successful.

I think luck does play a role, whether it be called luck, or timing, such as you happened to be in the right place at the right time. So my quick story, when I started camming, I did zero research, In fact, I started when I was in Portugal, strictly for extra income for fun, I had no expectations or knowledge that I would be making it my source of income. Because of lack of research, I didn't do super fabulous, and my cam score tanked down into the either the 500 or 600 range. I don't remember (try not to look back on the old days). I also had a friend tell me that it wasn't going to work, I wasn't pulling enough in, and I thought I would have to get a different job. But I didn't want to! Not just because camming is really fun, but because I don't like being told I can't do something or seem like I was failing. Perhaps that was just what I needed, something to push me to do better.

So, feeling driven, I did research, I watched other models, joined this awesome forum, did some soul searching and discovered more about the model I wanted to be and how I wanted my room to flow. After many days, and months, of disappointment and discouragement (eh, I was a little hard on myself,) I slowly saw things progress. I remember the first time I got like 3 100 token tips in a row, and thought damn today was a lucky day! How awesome. But also during this time, I set up times, I would be online and I was consistent. I invested so much time, I invested in lighting, props, all the goods. I guess, I loved it and I wouldn't take failure as an option.

Every cam model has their own style. But I think I have worked hard meaning, I make sure to have a good chunk of time to spend online, consistency. and also above, I agree, I think room settings, lighting, making sure the background is good, and for me, I know getting myself done up everyday is a thing I do. But I keep pushing, new ideas, graphics, content, seeing what I can do better. I log on with the intent to make some tokens, but if nothing else gather a following, just because they didn't tip today doesn't mean they won't tomorrow. My Camscore bounces 2000, and it took a long time to get there. But I had to completely stop looking at it and just focus on making some tokens. Granted, I have accepted other forms of payment, which isn't good for the camscore, but can be good for my amazon addiction.

Now I strive, to be a successful cam model, not because the hard work, or because someone told me I couldn't (even though it started as such) but because I want to be and I really enjoy what I do. And I've always been the person that if I want it, I will do what it takes. And usually what it takes it hard work in some form or another. I would say I am incredibly fortunate for the members who have tipped me, and I've been grateful for every single token. But I don't know if I can chalk it all up to luck, I feel like I've worked hard, and been fortunate that people like me. I do believe you have the power to play the hand you were dealt.

are there factors beyond our control, oh yes! and not one model can please all members. and some of it is luck but I would say maybe 20%. Perhaps the luckiest part of my camming experience has been that I stumbled upon it and luckily I had the balls to try it! Or maybe I am wrong, this question has me in such deep thought. But from my experience, trying and trying and keeping at it and logging on has made me where I am today. Because isn't it said, if you build it, they will come. <----- hahaha no pun intended.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-things-rich-people-need-to-stop-saying/

Now there is an excellent article about things like luck in relation to success. Not just in camming.. but in life itself aswel. Try as he might, Usain Bolt would have been a nobody before 1896 because there would not have been Olympic games for him to shine at. One of the best Dutch football (soccer) players ever, Coen Moulijn, had the bad luck of his career being over before mega millions could be made. He had to run a fashionshop till he died (and made more money with that back then in the late 60's than he did with football).

Luck does play a part. Luck is your 2 parents meeting and creating you!

Models only get lucky if they capture my attention, every other experience is boring ... hehehehe.

There seems to be some luck involved in success, but those who get it seem to work very hard to gain it.

Reactions: AmericanQT
tumblr_nofpoijDCJ1rfnb9bo1_500.gif

I think luck is definitely a factor. I've seen models do everything "right" - consistent cam schedule, strong presence on social media, quality marketing materials, content for sale, countdowns, tipping incentives, conventionally attractive looks, great personality, originality, a good group of regulars - and still struggle to maintain a 1000 camscore.

On the other side of the coin, I've seen models expect to be tipped consistently because they're good looking and they've turned up, and when they've been tipped less than the top models, they've been all too quick to brand those models more successful than them "lucky".

So while I think luck is an undeniable factor in camland, I'm still not entirely convinced it's as important as hard work. That's not to say it's not a big factor though. You can work just as hard as the most successful model (if not harder) and that will never be a guarantee that you'll make even a tenth of what she does. And that's a bitter pill to swallow, I guess.

I think perspective is important though. Camscore/Miss MFC is great for MFC, it's great for the most successful models, it's great for models who thrive on competition, and it can be fun for members. For a lot of models though, I think it can be a huge negative. It can all too easily lead to questions like "why aren't I making as much as models x and y?". And there's really no answer to that question that isn't going to suck. Maybe the other models really are just lucky. Maybe you're just as good a cam girl as them but you haven't been lucky enough to snag any big tippers like they have. And as frustrating as that is, that's the best case scenario. The other possibilities are likely far more hurtful. But success is relative, innit. I'm of the opinion that if you're a cam girl who enjoys her work, and who makes enough money to be able to sustain her lifestyle working hours she's happy with, then you're probably luckier than most.

That was very meandering, but I think I had a point in there... somewhere.

Wanted to add something on behalf of those random tippers, those who tip and leave, those who provoke that feeling that a particular day was all about luck. It is rarely due to luck, more often it is an opportunity lost in gaining a non-regular member/ supporter. It is a mistake to take random members for meaningless, models who can adapt to the challenge, accept this difference in member, and be observant gain this market: it is not luck.

Here is the thing. I don't ever look at the tippity top models and say "Why don't I make what they make?". It takes a lot of work to get there....period. Luck has a factor in how some ladies get plucked from obscurity and into the limelight. But once plucked, it is up to the model to maintain it. If I spent my time wondering why they do so well.. I'd be miserable. The majority, if not all of, the top 10 on MFC make more in a month than I likely do in a year. But it is a lot of work to maintain. The ladies at the top work hard to stay there.

Luck does not keep a girl on top-- not by a long shot. But a lucky break is often what gives them the initial push. Right now, between all the sites I'm on... I'm putting in about 70 hours per week. I'm hoping at some point, it will actually pay off.... that is all I can do... hope. I've had to essentially shelve MFC for a bit... as I can't just sit on a site for 4-6 hours at a time and quite literally not have a nickel to show for it. It sucks, because honestly I prefer the more social aspect of sites like that to where I am now, splitting time between SM, ImLive, CMD, and a few others. I have to be able to at least pay my bills at the end of the day.. and even with all my work.. often times I'm barely squeaking by.

You can work just as hard as the most successful model (if not harder) and that will never be a guarantee that you'll make even a tenth of what she does. And that's a bitter pill to swallow, I guess.

I think what makes that pill so bitter to swallow is that it seems a handful of top models (the ones most open about talking about how they got there) act as if with some hard work you can be where they are and if you're not there you're just not working hard enough. And that's why some girls are so adamant about luck being a factor. Because success isn't a simple course of "working super hard" you've got to cross your fingers and toes that the right person stumbles in, sees how hard you're working, likes you and tips. If someone with deep pockets does t walk in you're just doing a lot of hard work that isn't going to pay off like some act like t will.

For those of you who don't like the word luck, you could call it "chance." I think opportunity is also a big thing for success not only as a camgirl, but in any career or even life in general.

Chance (definition): something that happens unpredictably without discernible human intention or observable cause

Luck has helped me on C4S as well. Some girls who make good money on the site and have for a year have only had a few bulk orders. I had one my first month. This person didn't buy a clip and then decide I was awesome at my job, he just took a chance and spent a lot of money on someone who's smut he had never seen. That had nothing to do with me as a clip maker, it only was about me having the look he liked and being lucky. I also got my first financial sub within a day of opening my store, I can't believe how lucky that was.

I'm not a top C4S lady by absolutely any means but I am making quite a bit more than some of the higher earners did when they were as new as I am. I feel like luck can absolutely skyrocket you to an advanced level, a place you haven't worked as hard as you should have to get there. I do however feel (and I could be wrong) that it can't usually keep you there. You may have some crazy whale who turns you into a top studio or top camgirl and that will bring you more traffic and open you to possibilities but it won't keep you at the top if you don't continue to work your ass off for it. So yes, it definitely plays a role and I love, love, love seeing how many camgirls agree with that. I can understand why for a top model it might be a difficult thing to admit.

i don't know about you guys, but I found it super hard to click play on Zelda music and roll around in my bed when some guy who likes Zelda happened to come in during my lazy Zelda music listening show and give me my best night ever and get me into top 100*. I sweated so much pressing that play button guys. No luck whatsoever.

*for the night.

By the way, that does not mean that the top models don't work hard.. they do.. and then some!
Exactly!
Acknowledging luck or chance does not diminish hard work. It seems like a lot of the heat that was brewing on Twitter was being created around the idea that acknowledging one means the other has no part, and that's just crazy. Of course they both play a part but acknowledging the "luck" or whatever you want to call it that does play a part IMO is what can keep a model humble and sane, especially during those slow points each and every one of us will experience.

It took me 4 months to drag my camscore just back up to 1000 from around 550 at it's lowest when I first started. Granted this was 5 years ago, but hard work and determination is what kept me on MFC! Luck of being one of the few models online on Christmas night and being spoiled by a bunch of people I had never put an ounce of effort into entertaining is what gave me that CS nudge I needed to finally be seen. If it had not been for that night and the chance that a few members wanted to drop bombs on whoever was on that night, I probably wouldn't still be here. I'm incredibly blessed and will never take my success or the members who have decided I'm worth tipping for granted. I didn't earn them, they chose me for reasons out of my control.

Just because something is hard doesn't mean it's bad and I'm a firm believer in hard work! I worked two shifts a day on MFC, 4 hours each for over two years to get to the point that I am now and I'm proud of myself!
BUT plenty of models put in 8+ hours a day, every day on MFC who will never see anything near my level of success. I may not have the time to be a top 100 model consistently anymore but I can easily do it any month I want if I plan... and plenty of models who work on cam just as hard as me or harder will never be able to say that, it just seems incredibly insensitive for me to not acknowledge that.

If it wasn't for hard work, I could not maintain my luck. luck is being given an opportunity, hard work is making that opportunity into something more.

Luck definitely plays a part in success, especially in any sort of entertainment job. But, luck is only good for certain things, and it's not something that can be relied on.

I know a few models who got really lucky over the past year. 2 of them ended up in the top 100 for the first, and only times, over this year. Both ended up getting some random whale early in the month, who dropped a ton of tokens on them in the first few days of the month, and that is what helped get 1 to finish in the 80s for that month and the other to finish in the top 50 in a different month. But, so far, neither has been able to capitalize on that to maintain a higher rank each month. Each of them hasn't been able to hit top 250, since.

Luck boils down to a few things, IMHO.

1. The model has the look that tippers like. Let's face it, the very first thing that tippers will notice is what a model looks like.

2. Being online when those tippers are online.

3. Having something that brings the tippers back.

2 and 3 are not as dependent on luck after the initial finding of the models by tipers. Having a consistent schedule helps with 2 (provided the tippers are also on a consistent schedule), so that's not luck based after the first encounter. Then bringing them back relies on the model's personality, feel of the room, etc., which also isn't a luck factor after the first encounter. It's getting that first encounter that relies more on luck.

And then how do you tell someone like me that luck doesn't exist? If you add up all my time between all sites this week, I've put in about 55 hours..... and I haven't even hit $750 for the week.

But, compare that to normal jobs. To make $750, pre tax, per week is an $18.75/hour job at 40 hours/week. And, truth be told, there aren't a lot of jobs out there paying that type of hourly wage, right now. Many jobs are sitting at well under $15/hour, with a ton of jobs barely paying above minimum wage ($7.25/hour).

So, even with a normal job, other factors come into play. Are there jobs paying that much within a distance you would be willing to commute? Do you have the skills required to do the jobs? Are those jobs even hiring? Then there's the risk of things like layoffs to worry about.

A lot of people, including many members on these cam sites, would kill to be making $750 a week in the current economy. There are many models on these sites that don't make even close to that (I'd say those models making $750/week, or greater, are probably the minority, even when you look at just MFC). Which, of course, makes it ironic when I've seen models complain they only made 2000 tokens in 2 hours-- and that they consider it slow ($50/hour); while most members and other models don't make nearly that much.

It really starts to make it seem like some consistent high earners begin to feel a sense of entitlement about how much they make. I know numerous models that would be overjoyed to have a consistent top model's "slow day" for just 1 day a month.

This isn't a job one can work for a long time. Like it or not, there is a 'shelf life' for all adult entertainers. There's always some new performer coming in that can take even long time customers away. I think some of those models who have become accustomed to a certain level of success and earnings have forgotten this. And they may have forgotten that the luck that hit them, initially, that helped push them to where they are now, can just as quickly turn on them, and turn its favor onto someone else if they become too complacent and expectant on continuing to maintain their current level of success.

Luck has the ability to push a model towards success. Maintaining that push, and building on it, takes much more.

I'm going to make an audio recording of my views on this and put it on the youtubes

I will be quoting some of you and giving my thoughts on what you've said and agreeing or offering an alternative opinion; sorry in advance if you feel I've taken what you've said out of context

Reactions: AnneDVille
I never said I actually made $750 this past week. In fact, I specifically said I hadn't. Today is my "end of week" for my accounting purposes. I'm going to hit approximately 64 hours for the week... and unless something really odd happens, I'm not going to hit $750 either. Hell, if I were to make 2000 tokens in 2 hours, I'd be one extremely happy little bitch. For me, $750 is my "magic number". If I can hit that in a week, I'm going to be very content.

If anything, the fact that "this job isn't a job that can last forever" is one reason why the higher tier ladies have such high earning expectations... they need to make a lifetime style income in about 5-10 years.. because its much more difficult to go and get a regular job once your face is all over the internet as a sex worker.

I'm going to make an audio recording of my views on this and put it on the youtubes

I will be quoting some of you and giving my thoughts on what you've said and agreeing or offering an alternative opinion; sorry in advance if you feel I've taken what you've said out of context

And after that, can you narrate my life?
I just love the way you say bussom :D
(off topic, ignore me, carry on)

• Funny!
Reactions: AmberCutie
If anything, the fact that "this job isn't a job that can last forever" is one reason why the higher tier ladies have such high earning expectations... they need to make a lifetime style income in about 5-10 years.. because its much more difficult to go and get a regular job once your face is all over the internet as a sex worker.
Yep, don't want to sidetrack the topic too much, but with greater risk and exposure comes the hope and expectation of greater reward. So yeah, there are a lot of sex workers to depend on making more than a regular job that could be listed on a resume and doesn't run the risk of being stalked/harassed/abandoned by your family.

I think it is wildly naive to think there are not factors outside of our control in camming and especially MFC. I think maybe it's the word "luck" that causes some girls to get defensive about the idea. But, you could easily replace "luck" with timing. MFC is not set up so that every girl can succeed. It isn't meant to be. So, it does come off as silly (and in some cases not at all humble) when girls who are far above the average suggest that there is a simple answer to girls being as successful as they are on MFC. Saying that you've been lucky does not detract from your success. Most people who are in the top 10% of their field have certainly caught a lucky break/good connection in order to be there.

Conversely, I do wish the girls who are struggling so hard to force MFC to be right for them would branch out instead of believing this kind of a+b=success thing. Most girls will not be wildly successful on that site. We cannot all be Aspen Rae. However, there is plenty of money in camming for everyone. Failing or flailing at MFC is does not mean that you will not shine and make all the monies elsewhere.

I agree with everyone luck is a significant.factor. A while ago mycamgirls.net showed the median camscore by country, IIRC American (not sure if that included Canada/Mexico) had nearly triple the camscore of the rest of the site. So if you are conventionally pretty and born in the US you won the genetic lottery twice.

I agree with most of what Uncle Thursday has posted $50/hour = 2500+ camscore are really fantastic wages by most any standard and $750/week is also good. Now it is certainly true there is a lot of work behind the scenes for a camgirl, hair/make up, filming videos, social media, answering emails etc. such that camgirl on cam 40 hours a week is truly working hard. However it is also true that virtually all self employed service people put in significant work that they don't get paid for. Ask your CPA, hairdresser, lawyer, personal trainer, plumber,website designer the ratio of working hours to billable. I know most law firms require their associates to bill 1800-2000/hour/year (36-40/week) which requires them to spend 60-70 hours at the office and is generally orgasm free :)

When I read the tweets of the top 20 camgirls most of whom really are putting in 40 hours on cam/week, they often say something to the effect "The other girls say we are lucky, but when I look at the complainers they are only putting in 50 hour/month on cam" It seems to me they have a very good point. I really don't see many camgirl camming 25 hours a week much less 40 hours.

Working more doesn't guarantee success, However, I think there is a minimum amount of time that you need to put in in order to have a chance of being successful. I noticed Amber recommended new models be on at least 3 times during their first week. That seems like a pretty good number to me. Kickaz said that she makes most of her money in her fourth hour on cam. Combining those two that's 3+ times a week for 2-4+ hours a day at minimum. If you aren't on at least that much people forget about you.

Now obviously camscore complicates things. If you are making $750/week and camming 15 hours than moving up to 25 hours a week may or may not get you to $1250 a week. There is so much variation in earning on MFC that its really hard to judge these things. But frankly I'm skeptical whatever camscore dip you may experience is going to cost a camgirl money over the long term. If you go from 15 to 25 hours a week your earnings my only go to $1,000 week and it is up to decide is the extra 10 hours of camming (and more behind the scene) worth the extra $250.

But if you have spent several months putting in more hours and you aren't making money, then I think Jicky is right it is really time to re-evaluate is MFC the right site for you.
There really is only one Aspen Rae who can cam 10 hours a week and still make top 20 for years.
Uncle Thursday is also correct there is a never ending need for fresh faces in the adult business, and on MFC new acts. The good news for an experienced camgirl is that if they have been around for a year, they have improved. The bad news, is that I and many of the mfc regulars have had a chance to see you so the novelty isn't there. MFC isn't right for all all girls all the time, I don't even think it is right for most girls most of the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: fandango
Wanted to add something on behalf of those random tippers, those who tip and leave, those who provoke that feeling that a particular day was all about luck. It is rarely due to luck, more often it is an opportunity lost in gaining a non-regular member/ supporter. It is a mistake to take random members for meaningless, models who can adapt to the challenge, accept this difference in member, and be observant gain this market: it is not luck.

Someone tipped me $$$ to see me smile then left. On Christmas a member said he had 5000 to spend and would just go into girls rooms and tip to start their gold shows and leave when they started. He started almost all of my shows that day and never cam back to the site.

I'm pretty sure that's luck. Like I'm lucky I was on in the time frame these mystical fairies were tipping like it was just disposable income, because it probably was.

They arnt meaningless, one of these guys could start a show that gets you regulars. Boosts your placement. Or even just boosts your mood so you can work more hours and not feel drained.

Orrrr you could say I'm bad at my job and disappointed these men who said they wanted nothing more in return :) either way my friend, it helps a girl out no matter the intentions.

When I read the tweets of the top 20 camgirls most of whom really are putting in 40 hours on cam/week, they often say something to the effect "The other girls say we are lucky, but when I look at the complainers they are only putting in 50 hour/month on cam" It seems to me they have a very good point. I really don't see many camgirl camming 25 hours a week much less 40 hours.

But they don't differentiate between complaining and pointing out that (more hours = more money) is not the fool-proof formula being touted.

What I think people often forget is that without having a good room going camming for 40/hours a week is AWFUL. I could definitely work the hours if I knew that there'd be tokens and tippers 50-75% of the time (which you often have when you have a camscore over 7k) but to try to entertain a room of basics or nobody at all for 40 hours a week hoping that it'll pay off in the long run? That's harder than any minimum wage job I've ever worked. You try having a conversation with yourself and being entertaining for 40 hours a week. I think those are high expectations for the struggling camgirls. (And when I say struggling, I'm not talking about me. I'm talking about the girls with a 700 camscore who truly are struggling and take this "well-meaning" advice of "just work more hours" to heart.)

Does anyone else think it looks tacky as heck when girls put out there that they work sooo many hours or that camming is soooo hard? Even if it is for you, and even if you do put in the hours, it's really the kind of job where you're not supposed to let that part show. In keeping with HiGirls hairdresser reference, since I was a hairdresser for a brief and terrible moment, I can tell you that the client is there to be pampered. They don't want to hear that you've got 40 hair splinters and cut yourself today. They don't want to know that 2 clients stood you up. They don't want to know that you work all weekend every weekend and that your feet hurt like hell. AND, they shouldn't have to know that. They should sit there, tell you about the great night they're going to have and feel pretty before leaving a nice tip on the way out. We're a luxury. People should enjoy us. Yapping about how much time and effort we have to put in, whether we feel it's true or not, is tacky. I think, for me, that's where a bit of my Twitter snarkiness on the subject came from.

Status
Not open for further replies.