AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

New games suck now, anyone else agree?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 16, 2014
I was just thinking about this recently. It seems like games from my childhood had such a lasting impact on me. Games now-a-days seem like cheap rip offs compared to what was made before it. Anyone else think this way also? Or am I just a weirdo?

I think that's a pretty common thought about most media - the stuff we liked as kids always seems vastly superior to whatever new thanks to nostalgia! I loved my Nintendo and all my gamed as a kid but nowadays I think the games are so much more fleshed out, graphics and cut scenes are so well done that it's like watching a movie while gaming, and you can so easily get indie games on your PC which makes it so much easier for everyone to seek out exactly what they like. There's been a lot of creativity nowadays too, maybe it just gets overshadowed a bit?

mynameisbob84 said:
"They don't make 'em like they used to" sighed everyone about everything :)

Haha not like that. More like what GenXoxo said. There is a lot of creativity with indie games. It just seems major manufacturers are more concerned with putting out a new game instead of a great game. I know it is about making money at the end of the day. It just seems to me that back when people were making games, they were trying to put out something that was fun and lasting. Games now are simply more impressive graphically. Everything is about the background. Branches snap when you step on them, coffee spills when you slosh it in your cup, your hair blows in the wind. Quality vs quantity I guess.

Reactions: Gen
I sorta agree. I think people seem more into the graphics then anything else. Yes, it makes it looks pretty, but there's not a lot of creativity to the actual game (plot/characters) making me fall in love with it. I can sadly say the same about many movies nowadays as well. I think it'll be better, but for now many effects are so new and cool looking to everyone, that most don't care. I mean I know it takes a lot of time to make them, especially when they are so detailed. I can kinda see why they might not want it to take any longer. It's just sad that it feels like consumers won't feel as if they are so cherished.

Perhaps it is a thing with youths though, and perhaps they will all grow to be terrific artists...let's just hope they all know how to right a decent plot. ^.^'

Reactions: Irishmut
Man, in today's games market, if you can't find something that engages you, you aren't looking very hard.

I don't think he was meaning engaging...at least I didn't. Many games are very engaging nowadays. It's kinda hard for me to put into words at this moment, but basically I love older games. The main reason I do is because though I may have played them already...they still feel fun to play. Nowadays, (often not always) it feels like people are only making the games as eye candy. They're very pretty but prettiness doesn't hold my attention. I don't like to be able to quickly play through a game. I like It makes me appreciate it more if something that challenges me.

I hope that made sense and didn't sound like I was trashing EVERY game out there. There are good games out. It just seems like they could improve the majority.

>.<' Ran out of time to add this:

*Edit: I want to add...Idk about the OP, but personally when I game I tend to do it in a more slow paced type of way, when I really need to just sort of escape. I tend to not be very competitive with gaming, and I dislike multi-player in every aspect. I just constantly feel under pressure by everyone. I can play any game that has both single and multi-player. I'll do great single player, but suck at multi. I think probably it's a safe bet that most who game are competitive, and even if they are unwinding like that aspect. MANY unlike me do like MMOs or playing multiplayer with friends. I figure in those types of games yeah they do great with games games like LOL for instance (I don't play it, though I've enjoyed watching friends do so as they tried to convince me I should play), but catering to folks like me who just sorta like wandering off in solitude...not so much.

I'm queen of unearthing underdog games. Quite often my Steam account has me buying old unknown things that may or may not be gems, who knows? Even if they're simply silly games: DLC Quest. that was one I snagged and thoroughly enjoyed. So much clever humor and storyline. Sometimes I'm also checking out the Greenlight games and keeping tabs on them. I think there's many newer unnoticed games that don't come from our big companies that are just great. If someone does a good job, I wanna help them get some attention and support them.

I play a lot of new games as well as they come out, just to say I did. There's been few that truly wow me though. Chances are you'll find me sinking hours into an emulator playing old titles I never tried for SNES or something. It's not that I hate newer games, I just feel they try to crank them out so fast to cash in that they don't make it an overall amazing experience.

Reactions: Ann_Sulu
KyraFortune said:
It's not that I hate newer games, I just feel they try to crank them out so fast to cash in that they don't make it an overall amazing experience.

That's my feeling as well - and to me it seems the industry put itself in a cycle that is hard to break - AAA games now cost hundreds of millions of dollars, which means no one wants to take a risk and we get lots of sequels with gameplay that is rarely innovative... Thankfully the tech and distribution is becoming more accessible so we get more indie studios trying things out and coming out with fun ideas.

I kinda feel the opposite, older games are so basic and simple. Some games still hold up to me but playing older games can sometimes feel like a chore. Overall gameplay has improved so much. I do wish developers would stop forcing multiplayer into single player games. Batman Arkham Origins added multi and it is so bad. Had the first two completed achievement wise and wanted to do the same with Origins but nobody plays the multi. Sucks.

I think the standards of gamers have just been made too high now. We expect every game & every generation of consoles to be some huge jump in technology, innovation, & quality now. The way gaming consoles went from Atari, to NES, to N64, to Xbox & Playstation. But there were some mediocre consoles, & a lot of bad games in between.

I loved a lot of NES games, but it had plenty of games that sucked too. Used to trade the ones I didn't like away to friends of my siblings who I didn't like. :shifty: I wasn't very impressed with the SNES or Game Cube. But loved N64 with 007 Goldeneye, the first game I really got into playing competitive multi-player versus someone else head-to-head. All my prior multi-player was co-op like Contra & Double Dragon or alternating turns to compete for score. The first Playstation was awesome overall, a big step up over prior gaming. I skipped the Playstation 2, it added a lot of features that weren't for gaming, but the games themselves didn't improve that much I didn't think. Then got Xbox 360, which has made me love several game series like Halo and Borderlands just as much as my favorite old games. I love Skyrim but I hated the prior Elder Scrolls game, despite them having many similarities. Like they took all the complaints with the previous one and fixed them in Skyrim. Each game is a learning experience of what to do or not do for each gaming studio. Some game series now are licensed out to multiple studios even like Call Of Duty, so you never know what to expect from one game in the series to the next. I really liked COD Black Ops, but I hated COD Ghosts. 20 years from now, if I'm still alive, I'll probably think back to just the games I loved. Completely forgetting how many I didn't. I think that's what happens to make people think old games were so much better.

Irishmut said:
mynameisbob84 said:
"They don't make 'em like they used to" sighed everyone about everything :)

Haha not like that. More like what GenXoxo said. There is a lot of creativity with indie games. It just seems major manufacturers are more concerned with putting out a new game instead of a great game. I know it is about making money at the end of the day. It just seems to me that back when people were making games, they were trying to put out something that was fun and lasting. Games now are simply more impressive graphically. Everything is about the background. Branches snap when you step on them, coffee spills when you slosh it in your cup, your hair blows in the wind. Quality vs quantity I guess.

Yeah, but they are also responding to criticism. Beth produced Morrowind, which was ludicrously big with very broken gameplay, but the sheer size and depth of the game was mind boggling. Next came Oblivion, which fixed 90% of the complaints with Morrowind by adding fast travel and making the game smaller, more linear and kiddie-proof. Of course everybody them complained about fast travel and that the game was smaller, more linear and kiddie-proof. Next comes Fallout 3, which returns to the size and rambling nature of Morrowind, but without the ludicrous number of quests (395) of that game.

Graphically there was an attention to detail in Morrowind that was lacking in games like Fallout 3. I think I only found one graphical error in the terrain around Balmora in about 2 yeas of playing Morrowind, but there are dozens in Fallout. The push to finish games and keep down costs is no doubt responsible for that.

Now we have Skyrim. Sigh... drool...

Are older games better? Nope.

Status
Not open for further replies.